Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Terrific Accident posted:

Comedy Central is a distressing paradox, because every single show on it is in a constant state of being the least funny show on the network and on the planet. How can multiple shows be the least funny? I don't know, but they are.

Comedy Central also made Futurama terrible. Like really, really bad. Only the straight-to-DVD movies were much worse, and CC loves to play those split up as single episodes a metric poo poo-ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The first movie was a good point to end the series

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

The first movie was a good point to end the series

Probably, since it sucked

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rutibex posted:

thats not new, they have done that since season 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtBMQ59xmv0&t=190s

I had GG Allin playing simultaneously and was momentarily very confused

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The worst episode is constantly which ever episode is on Sunday night

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Drawn Together to me was just that 'other original animated show on CC that wasn't South Park' It's a premise that tried too hard to be mature and edgy and it sort of became one note. But I find a lot of stuff like this is sort of the same when people try parody and satire. How do you make a funny satire/parody of pop culture archtypes? Essentially, the answer is everyone is a sex addict, a horrible person, a stereotype or just idiots.

The Awesomes, Drawn Together, Supermansion... I'm not saying it can't be funny, but it seems like that's about all they can think of to do with things like that. Do something different with it.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Me: poo poo's so "edgy" they forget to tell jokes

"Dude, the edginess is the jokes!"

Me: :smith:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Ugly Americans didn't deserve to be canceled.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

When they made this segment they either thought they were being the edgiest motherfuckers on the planet or it was entirely cold and calculated over a dull meeting. Probably the latter. There's no way it was anything else.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
gently caress the haters, Drawn Together was funny

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I liked drawn together but I was also like 14 when it was airing sooooo

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The only thing I can ever remember about Drawn Together was that they had one episode where the plot was the super hero guy's arch nemesis was terminal, and super hero was taking care of him. But it was all just a dastardly plot to get him to wash the bad guy's scrotum. His name was Scroto (or Scrotor or something), you see. And that's what he does.

That, and the time they made a gay joke about Pacman in the pilot or an early one.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
I'll concede that season 1 wasn't great, but any episode after S1 that centers around Captain Hero is great

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
DT had some pretty funny jokes but it also had some major stinkers. The movie is the most embarrassing piece of media I own, I think we watched it once and hated it. Bought the seasons from a wal mart bargain bin years ago.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

alpaca diseases posted:

so does anyone else think homer actually got with mindy, but he was just imagining it's marge to get through guilt etc? that's how, watching it, it initially seemed to me anyway

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Drawn Together was a bad show with some high points. I mean, it's not Secret Girlfriend bad.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Keokuk. Cucamonga. Classic Krusty. :krust:

death by computer
Sep 6, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

Comedy Central also made Futurama terrible. Like really, really bad. Only the straight-to-DVD movies were much worse, and CC loves to play those split up as single episodes a metric poo poo-ton.

The exact point where I started questioning if bringing Futurama back was necessarily a good thing was the Susan Boyle Boil episode. And the moment I knew for a fact that it wasn't was the loving kid's show episode ("I MUST GET MY HANDS ON THOSE HEALTHY PURPLEBERRIES!").

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

death by computer posted:

The exact point where I started questioning if bringing Futurama back was necessarily a good thing was the Susan Boyle Boil episode. And the moment I knew for a fact that it wasn't was the loving kid's show episode ("I MUST GET MY HANDS ON THOSE HEALTHY PURPLEBERRIES!").

Yeah those two sucked bad. I read somewhere the kid's show one was going to be the series finale like all the other seasons that ended on weird anthology episodes, but then someone saw how lovely it was turning out and put the kibosh on that.

The real series finale was good, as was the one where they're firemen and the murder mystery one, just from the last season.

It's a lot like the Simpsons though. You could endlessly harp on the atrocious ones or just ignore them and still get some enjoyment out of the nonatrocious ones.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Did anybody watch any of that cartoon Bordertown before it's season one cancellation? Even The Cleveland Show managed to get more than one.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
There are several excellent episodes in the post-cancellation Futurama though. "The Late Phillip J Fry" is easily a top 10 episode for example.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Irradiation posted:

i'm still upset that Brickleberry got a third season and that didn't. doug (the koala, not the Nick cartoon character) for life

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Scudworth posted:

Das Bus is a lovely retelling of Lord of the Flies using Simpson children, a book with almost no comedy to being with.

The Bob's Burgers parodies of Breakfast Club and Stand By Me were way better than Das Bus because they had a consistent amount of jokes all the way through. Das Bus had some good gags early on, before going into "parody" mode and then wrapping up with narration for a non-ending.

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

But the way the villain cowers when Bender pulls out his chainsaw, tommy gun, and laser during the GI Zapp scene makes up for everything bad in the rest of that episode.

https://youtu.be/hWFVTIYRf-k?t=269

I'm also glad that they brought back the series because we got the line "And who created that first robot? Some bearded robot in the sky?"

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

The only episode I ever turned off in disgust was the Lady Gaga episode. Right when her train pulled up.

I never put much thought into it but I bet a couple thousand people did the exact same thing at the exact same time

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Irradiation posted:

I was really hoping Bojack Horseman would have ended up revealing that Ugly Americans and Bojack exist in the same universe.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Riptor posted:

This was true ten years ago but they actually are going through some crazy renaissance with Nathan For You and Review and stuff

Yeah I was just going to say the same, both of those shows made me laugh harder than anything in years. What the gently caress happened to Nathan For You anyways? I know Review is done but NFY was supposed to get a new season.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I was just going to say the same, both of those shows made me laugh harder than anything in years. What the gently caress happened to Nathan For You anyways? I know Review is done but NFY was supposed to get a new season.

Nathan Fielder just tweeted the other day that it's on its way

And Review is coming back for like a three episode finale soon too! March 16 apparently

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Drawn Together to me was just that 'other original animated show on CC that wasn't South Park' It's a premise that tried too hard to be mature and edgy and it sort of became one note. But I find a lot of stuff like this is sort of the same when people try parody and satire. How do you make a funny satire/parody of pop culture archtypes? Essentially, the answer is everyone is a sex addict, a horrible person, a stereotype or just idiots.

The Awesomes, Drawn Together, Supermansion... I'm not saying it can't be funny, but it seems like that's about all they can think of to do with things like that. Do something different with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZA1LvnMbY0

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 26, 2017

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Did anybody watch any of that cartoon Bordertown before it's season one cancellation? Even The Cleveland Show managed to get more than one.

It was pretty bad. Honestly I wouldn't have said it worse than The Simpsons currently.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I vaguely remember Nathan saying in an interview that he wanted to take an extra year before the next season so that the first episode could be a really exaggerated comeback special.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

There are several excellent episodes in the post-cancellation Futurama though. "The Late Phillip J Fry" is easily a top 10 episode for example.

Late Phillip J. Fry, Prisoner of Benda, Clockwork Origin, Mobius Dick, and Murder on the Planet express would all be in my top 20. They could've made one really good season after the comeback, but 2 full ones was too much and resulted in a lot of filler (and a handful of truly dreadful episodes). The last season before the first cancellation had some duds too, though, they just tend to be overshadowed by some of the absolute best episodes of the series that were also in that season.

Futurama suffered from too many restarts that kept shaking up the natural story arc, not so much a dearth of ideas. The Simpsons (to bring this back on topic) suffers from running way longer than it ever should have and the creative well has dried up. Futurama still showed flashes of the charm and comedic greatness people loved it for all the way to the end. The Simpsons hasn't shown that for the majority of its existence now. I don't think too many people would have a post-S10 episode in their top 10 or 20.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Blind Pineapple posted:

Futurama suffered from too many restarts that kept shaking up the natural story arc, not so much a dearth of ideas.

Poor Ken Keeler wrote FOUR series finales for Futurama.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Junk posted:

gently caress the haters, Drawn Together was funny

captain hero was best

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Blind Pineapple posted:

Late Phillip J. Fry, Prisoner of Benda, Clockwork Origin, Mobius Dick, and Murder on the Planet express would all be in my top 20. They could've made one really good season after the comeback, but 2 full ones was too much and resulted in a lot of filler (and a handful of truly dreadful episodes). The last season before the first cancellation had some duds too, though, they just tend to be overshadowed by some of the absolute best episodes of the series that were also in that season.

Futurama suffered from too many restarts that kept shaking up the natural story arc, not so much a dearth of ideas. The Simpsons (to bring this back on topic) suffers from running way longer than it ever should have and the creative well has dried up. Futurama still showed flashes of the charm and comedic greatness people loved it for all the way to the end. The Simpsons hasn't shown that for the majority of its existence now. I don't think too many people would have a post-S10 episode in their top 10 or 20.

Breaking up Fry and Leela every time the show came back so they could have them fall in love again was dumb.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You Are A Elf posted:

Futurama was never as good as the Simpsons and I don't think it's aged terribly well.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Razorwired posted:

Drawn Together was a bad show with some high points. I mean, it's not Secret Girlfriend bad.

Drawn Together is the third-worst cartoon I've ever seen, after Tom Goes To The Mayor and Allen Gregory.

The exact point where I started questioning if bringing Futurama back was necessarily a good thing was the Susan Boyle Boil episode.

It still bugs the poo poo out of me that the boil episode ends with Leela apologizing to Fry after he humiliates her, and her ignoring that he reeks of goat vomit to hug him. Fry and Leela should have been a terrible couple born of Leela's abysmal self-esteem at best, not anything the audience was meant to root for.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Lurdiak posted:

Futurama was never as good as the Simpsons and I don't think it's aged terribly well.

Yeah I've felt for a whlie that it lacks the re-watch value, and has always been pretty hit-or-miss even in the most beloved seasons. I know people rag on the new seasons and "movies, "but I never really saw much of a change either way in the average lame-to-laugh ratio. In fact, I sometimes like the newer stuff better because I feel like they committed to the sci-fi part of the concept more consistently.

Rick and Morty, meanwhile, is like twice the Futurama for me that Futurama ever was.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the best episodes of futurama definitely play to more of a niche, while the best simpsons episodes have a broader appeal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

veni veni veni posted:

Review is loving hilarious. Just saw the one where he tries to eat like 15 pancakes or something. :negative: