Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I gotta say it. The only reason the Rangers can stay competitive despite their sub-par defense is AV and his offense-first system. Hank's got HHoF on lock, so who cares if his late career stats slump. Get that man a ring! (ps, thanks Vancouver).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
https://twitter.com/goonfilm/status/835311083023925248

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

quote:

Based on draft position, Dallas will receive the middle pick of Ottawa, San Jose, or Toronto's second-round selections in 2017 per the conditions in which Anaheim acquired the pick from Toronto in a previous trade. Should Anaheim advance to the third round of the postseason and Eaves plays in 50 percent or more of their games in the first two rounds, the selection becomes the Ducks first-round selection in the 2017 NHL Draft.

Not a bad return but am I crazy to think he could easily get a 1st at the deadline? 21 goals on the year and his cap hit is nothing. Rental and all, but still.

Lol, Patrick Eaves is now the ducks second leading goal scorer.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

JoelJoel posted:

Not a bad return but am I crazy to think he could easily get a 1st at the deadline?
Yes

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I'm not saying he's worth a first, but 21 goals and a tiny cap hit. Plenty of dumb gms out there and everyone seems to think they'll make the playoffs.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Starsfan posted:

Stars apparently didn't acknowledge that today was "You can Play" day, where NHL teams recognize the community of LGBTQ hockey fans and players. No reference to this event at all during the television broadcast or in game presentation. People are now arguing whether a 20 second video with Tyler Seguin shouting out to You can Play was shown in arena before the game started.

not a good look.

The Flyers also did jack poo poo for this and one of the blog, Broad Street Hockey, was giving them poo poo about it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Overwined posted:

I gotta say it. The only reason the Rangers can stay competitive despite their sub-par defense is AV and his offense-first system. Hank's got HHoF on lock, so who cares if his late career stats slump. Get that man a ring! (ps, thanks Vancouver).

Part of me argues that AV's evaluation of defense is what has led to the state of it...

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I do not want to hockey tread to miss the forums dog competition because we already have champion dogs in this thread.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

N: Tyler Bozak looks to be out tonight with Not An Injury so noted worst player on the team Ben Smith gets promoted to the third line, Mitchell "Mitch" Marner is still injured

V: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

I do not want to hockey tread to miss the forums dog competition because we already have champion dogs in this thread.

o hell ya

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Technetium posted:

N: Tyler Bozak looks to be out tonight with Not An Injury so noted worst player on the team Ben Smith gets promoted to the third line, Mitchell "Mitch" Marner is still injured

V: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sucks that literally everyone on the Marlies is dead

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
N: Murray announced starter for tonight's outdoor game.

N: Twitter is full of "Poor MAF"

V: People are morons

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Koopa Kid posted:

Sucks that literally everyone on the Marlies is dead

There's a decent chance you could call up Literally Anyone from the Marlies and have them be as good as Ben Smith if not better

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Technetium posted:

There's a decent chance you could call up Literally Anyone from the Marlies and have them be as good as Ben Smith if not better

I think part of the issue is actually contracts, a lot of the guys who are uninjured are on AHL deals to save the Leafs the SPC slot (they're at 49/50 iirc). The only target I can think of to bring up is Laich, but the Marlies are also on a bus to Hershey right now so it's probably not worth it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
News: Stecher, Tanev, Tryamkin, Granlund and Chaput all showing symptoms of the mumps, with Stecher's diagnosis confirmed.

Views: Boy the Sharks game tonight is gonna be interesting.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

I think part of the issue is actually contracts, a lot of the guys who are uninjured are on AHL deals to save the Leafs the SPC slot (they're at 49/50 iirc). The only target I can think of to bring up is Laich, but the Marlies are also on a bus to Hershey right now so it's probably not worth it.

Doesn't Byron Froese have an NHL contract? He can't be worse than Smith, who is being outplayed badly by Frederik "1 goal in 26 AHL games" Gauthier.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Hand Knit posted:

But I have 3 dogs... I'll have to buy some extra accounts.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

RC Cola posted:

But I have 3 dogs... I'll have to buy some extra accounts.

the choice killed me and I'm posting from dog heaven

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

Doesn't Byron Froese have an NHL contract? He can't be worse than Smith, who is being outplayed badly by Frederik "1 goal in 26 AHL games" Gauthier.

Turns out he does, I didn't realize the Leafs had signed him to a two year deal. Also so does Seth Griffith, who I forgot about but has already suited up as 4C this year.

Bozak isn't actually injured according to Babcock, maybe they can't call anyone up? The only reason Gauthier's in at all is because of Marner being placed on IR.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Vermette suspension upheld, no surprise.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Thought Marner would be back by now. Hope he's not out for too much longer. Miss ya dude.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Babcock has been pretty vocal with his opinion that Marner should have been cleared by now, but considering how Rielly has looked coming back early from his sprain I think Marner should be held out as long as he needs.

It's also pretty lovely to call out team doctors in the media like that imo, I understand the frustration but coaches in general should probably keep their medical opinions to a minimum.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

DuhSal posted:

Thought Marner would be back by now. Hope he's not out for too much longer. Miss ya dude.

:glomp:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mike Babcock is of the opinion "gently caress his health we need points".

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Koopa Kid posted:

Babcock has been pretty vocal with his opinion that Marner should have been cleared by now, but considering how Rielly has looked coming back early from his sprain I think Marner should be held out as long as he needs.

It's also pretty lovely to call out team doctors in the media like that imo, I understand the frustration but coaches in general should probably keep their medical opinions to a minimum.

Yeah in the old days Babs would have just thrown him out there and then his career would have been ruined. I miss seeing him play too but 100% with the docs on this one.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
harnarayan singh (the hockey night in punjabi guy) wrote a thing :unsmith:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

fits posted:

harnarayan singh (the hockey night in punjabi guy) wrote a thing :unsmith:

This is a very cool thing.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Yeah in the old days Babs would have just thrown him out there and then his career would have been ruined. I miss seeing him play too but 100% with the docs on this one.

Agreed.

Koopa Kid posted:

Also agreed.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
also kings activate quick off ir

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
They are testing out a new real time player tracking system on my local team in :norway:

https://twitter.com/steinbran/status/835482526269440000

They are supposedly sending the data to a company in Toronto, but I'm not sure if it's to someone associated with the NHL

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, near real time. It's at least 2 seconds behind the skaters.

The precision looks quite nice though.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

https://twitter.com/BeauBennett19/status/835255329755660290

I would take this bet tbh.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Caps vs Predators. Time to watch Forsberg and get drunk thinking about what could've been. :smith:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Cartoon Man posted:

Caps vs Predators. Time to watch Forsberg and get drunk thinking about what could've been. :smith:

I misread this as "time to watch Forsberg get drunk thinking about what could've been."

I do wonder if he thinks what it might have been like playing for a contender. Probably not, given that he wouldn't have gotten the same kind of spotlight.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

At the Stadium Series pregame event. It is now snowing. PA weather is hosed up. (It was 80° F yesterday.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Let me start this off by saying I don't think this will happen, even though I very much hope.

So, let's say the Habs continue losing.

How many losses in a row do you think it would take for them to fire Julien? Does he make it through the season regardless even if they lose the next 20?

What if they lose 5, win 1, and repeat that pattern for just 4 more wins on the season? Do they keep him?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Mage_Boy posted:

At the Stadium Series pregame event. It is now snowing. PA weather is hosed up. (It was 80° F yesterday.)

You missed the tornado warning here today. Also hail which just turned into misshapen ice chunks after a while.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Let me start this off by saying I don't think this will happen, even though I very much hope.

So, let's say the Habs continue losing.

How many losses in a row do you think it would take for them to fire Julien? Does he make it through the season regardless even if they lose the next 20?

What if they lose 5, win 1, and repeat that pattern for just 4 more wins on the season? Do they keep him?

If they miss the playoffs there's going to be a total cleanout at the end of the season. The only one who might survive is Waite and I can definitely see him going if Bergevin gets fired anyway.

I don't know if Julien goes because Bergevin goes but Bergevin's arse is on the hotseat right now not Julien.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Julien probably survives at least a season past Bergevin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nik Kypreos reports that the Leafs are interested in Sheahan. The market was set by Eaves (21 goals) getting a conditional 2nd/1st. Now Sheahan has zero goals, which is significantly fewer than 20, but he's 24 so he could cost as much as a 1st.

How many punches to the face do I need to take before I can get a job like that?

• Locked thread