Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I forgot Possession wasn't an attack and just got creamed in a game because of it. What the hell is even the reasoning behind that?

It's a fun card and it's my fault for not paying attention and losing but man I don't get not making an attack that powerful unblockable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Guy A. Person posted:

I forgot Possession wasn't an attack and just got creamed in a game because of it. What the hell is even the reasoning behind that?

It's a fun card and it's my fault for not paying attention and losing but man I don't get not making an attack that powerful unblockable.

Futureproof against Squire.

Also, Possession was bad for a long time and it needed the help.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Toshimo posted:

Futureproof against Squire.

lol good point

quote:

Also, Possession was bad for a long time and it needed the help.

It does seem to heavily depend on what's in play to mess around with your opponent's deck. It seems to have gotten really good lately with the advent of coin tokens and the new durations that payout on your next turn, but even back in the day you had Island and Masq among a few other things that could really jack things up.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Being Possessed for on average doesn't actually hurt you. It basically just cycles a hand. You remember the times when a good hand becomes a lovely hand and forget the times when a mediocre hand becomes a good hand.

Now, this is different if your deck has Ambassador, Masquerade, coin tokens, deck manipulation, etc. but without specific other cards Possession is similar to Tribute in that it uses your deck to generate an effect which is as likely to help as to hurt.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

garthoneeye posted:

Being Possessed for on average doesn't actually hurt you. It basically just cycles a hand. You remember the times when a good hand becomes a lovely hand and forget the times when a mediocre hand becomes a good hand.

True, in this specific case he kept hitting during the payoffs of my Enchantresses, so he would get the extra cards and not me. There was nothing to directly hurt me like with the other cards

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, Possession doesn't directly negatively effect the person it's played upon, it just feels bad. Like Tribute (obviously Possession is more powerful).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Possession definitely does hurt the victim more than it helps, since you can reasonably often use it to trigger bad reshuffles.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

rchandra posted:

Possession definitely does hurt the victim more than it helps, since you can reasonably often use it to trigger bad reshuffles.

That's not how Dominion defines an attack, though.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Like, the Masquerade pin is possibly one of the most effective ways to destroy an opponent's deck directly, but Masq isn't an attack for the same reason.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Masquerade isn't an attack because things would get weird if you could Moat a Masquerade.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

sector_corrector posted:

That's not how Dominion defines an attack, though.

Sure - I'm just correcting the Tribute comparison.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I suspect if Donald X wanted to do an Alchemy v2 he'd change Possession to account for all the new ways that came up to screw someone over since it was introduced. Either just make it an attack or give it more explicit exceptions.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tenebrais posted:

I suspect if Donald X wanted to do an Alchemy v2 he'd change Possession to account for all the new ways that came up to screw someone over since it was introduced. Either just make it an attack or give it more explicit exceptions.

I'm pretty sure he'd just replace it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, if Alchemy ever warrants a V.2, then I think Possession would be out the door.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
If alchemy ever warrants a v2, quite a lot of it would be out the door. It's pretty much universally held to be the worst expansion in the game, largely because of Potions only having any impact in Alchemy, so you need a decent chunk of Alchemy cards to make any of it work as properly intended.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Dominion Wiki posted:

Due to the Actions theme of this set, most of these cards are excellent for engines. That said, the awkwardness of the Potion cost can discourage some players from pursuing strategies with Alchemy cards. Because of this awkwardness, players often choose Alchemy as their least favorite expansion, and Donald X. has stated that it's highly unlikely he'll revisit Potions as a mechanic, mainly for this very reason. However, the set does have supporters, and once actually in your deck, most of the cards are quite powerful and fun to play with.

DXV, What Donald X. Might Do With a Dominion Time Machine posted:

The next big thing is that, I knew some people wouldn't appreciate the potion concept, but did not realize that some people would find the set to be too slow. It has an action-chaining sub-theme, in order to make individual potion-costing cards good in games where there's only one card to buy with potions, and well this leads to longer games. I could potentially have put in two victory cards or treasures or both though, as those are cards you can buy multiples of (another solution to the problem that action-chaining was solving), and tweaked the card mix other ways to reduce either slowness or the perception of slowness.

No citation on that first one, but if you assume it's true, you have to figure he just won't bother.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Magnetic North posted:

No citation on that first one, but if you assume it's true, you have to figure he just won't bother.

If you read his posts on dominion strategy (particularly the "Interview with Donald X." thread) it comes up every so often and he's said that he won't bother frequently.

His reasoning is roughly: it's not a choice between more Alchemy or nothing, it's a choice between more Alchemy and something new, and since Alchemy is the most hated set something new is always going to be better.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

If alchemy ever warrants a v2, quite a lot of it would be out the door. It's pretty much universally held to be the worst expansion in the game, largely because of Potions only having any impact in Alchemy, so you need a decent chunk of Alchemy cards to make any of it work as properly intended.

You absolutely don't need a bunch of Alchemy cards to make most of them decent.

Transmute benefits the most from other Alchemy stuff, but it's basically always trash.

Phil. Stone actively doesn't want other Potion cards.

Alchemist and Golem are better if they're with other cards, but can be worth it on their own.

Possession and Familiar are dependent on the rest of the board and the game state, but don't particularly need other Potion cards.

Apothecary, Scrying Pool, and Vineyard are often dominant even when they are the only Potion card.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, I agree that DXV isn't remaking Alchemy, but what would be a way to make it better? Maybe make potion into a token you can flip for $2 (which doesn't cost a buy), and having a flipped potion token is the only way you can buy Potion cost cards? That would make it essentially an event that gets added in the case that any cards have potion cost.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

So, I agree that DXV isn't remaking Alchemy, but what would be a way to make it better? Maybe make potion into a token you can flip for $2 (which doesn't cost a buy), and having a flipped potion token is the only way you can buy Potion cost cards? That would make it essentially an event that gets added in the case that any cards have potion cost.

I think the question is which aspect is more important: having a unique resource which matters in the cost/function of some cards or having some powerful cards locked off by some slowdown mechanic. The latter has already been done in cards like Grand Market, but your solution would be a pretty decent way to do a full block of cards with a unifying mechanic. I do think Potion as a resource would be better done today, although I can't begin to figure out what he'd do to make it more balanced and worthwhile.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Man I know I was in here a week ago whining about Possession but I just played a game with Possession and Lurker and the Landmark Museum (vp for every differently named card) and it was the most hilarious time I've had in awhile.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Some guy just tried trolling me during a game. Important cards were Mint, Hoard, Armory, Herald, Masquerade, Settlers, Shelters and Palace.

He bought mint fairly early, passing me his armory with masquerade once the heralds were all gone. Then I grabbed a silver with Armory, and on another turn, 2 coppers with both armories, giving me 6 more points from Palace. I won the game 36-30.

code:
Joining game #2050223 on frankfurt.
patzer9: ah, he learned something
kieranmillar: Sorry?
patzer9: lol
patzer9: mint
kieranmillar: Do you think I don't know that mint trashes all treasures when you buy it?
patzer9: you bought it too late
kieranmillar: I don't think so
patzer9: embarassing that you don'T even get that this is lost
kieranmillar: oh look you're losing
patzer9: you are too dumb for this game
patzer9: mr late minty
patzer9 left the table.
He didn't stick around for post-game chat.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lol good lord

The only trolling I had was some weirdo who joined as a spectator and warned me the other guy was a cheater with some kind of bot. But then he started telling the other guy what I had, which I pointed out, how is that supposed to matter? Then he asked for a 3 player game when we were finishing up so I kicked him and signed off lol

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've had the first edition of Dominion Intrigue sitting in my closet for a couple of years now without ever playing it. I'm going on holiday with the family this week and the weather forecast is poo poo so I'm thinking I might finally get the chance.

Everyone will be a first time player, including myself (I've watched a couple of games on Youtube though). Couple of questions:

Any recommendations for starting decks? Should I just use the recommended ones in the rulebook?
    Any general strategy tips so I can a) win b) educate the other players about
    I'll be away with 6 other people but they all won't be available to play, so no worries about having too many players. What's the ideal number of players? I'm guessing 2 or 3?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Looten Plunder posted:

Any recommendations for starting decks? Should I just use the recommended ones in the rulebook?

The ones from the book seem harmless enough, although maybe geared toward being interesting for people who know the previous game than for total beginners. I might go with something more along these lines for your very first game (admittedly using the base set's "First Game" set up as a road map):

- Courtyard (draws cards and obligatory $2 card)
- Mining Village or Shanty Town (both "villages" that allow multiple actions to be played while replacing themselves)
- Pawn and Steward (introduces the multiple choice theme of the set)
- Bridge (extra buys with tricks)
- Ironworks (card that gains cards)
- Upgrade (introduces, uh, upgrading)
- Torturer (can be nasty but introduces attacks and is another good $5 - possible the most important cost)
- Nobles or Harem (worth points and cost $6 to compete with Gold)
- Masquerade (fun card trading and another interactive card)

Maybe swap out Wishing Well for Pawn or Steward if those seem redundant. Or if you'd rather people learn the basics before worrying about attacks, swap Torturer out. You can obviously look through and just choose ones that seem more interesting/relevant to you.

quote:

Any general strategy tips so I can a) win b) educate the other players about

Without giving too much of the learning experience away:

First, make sure to buy money along with action cards; action cards are cool and exciting but you need money to get better ones and eventually the best victory cards - a newbie mistake is just buying cheap action cards to play that lead nowhere.

Second, just realize that you draw 5 cards each turn and you want the average cost of your hand to be as high as possible. This can be achieved by having cards worth more money (silver or gold as noted above), cards that draw more cards into your hand, or just having a more efficient deck. Part of the puzzle of the game is taking the starting hand of 7 coppers and 3 estates (which effectively do nothing for you) and deciding how to make the most efficient and consistent deck.

If you want a blatant intermediate player spoiler use cards like Steward, Upgrade, Trading Post and Masquerade to trash the hell out of your starting deck. It sometimes seems counterintuitive to beginner players to kill your own cards but if every card you have is better than those cards, your average deck worth shoots up quickly. There's a reason Copper costs 0, you usually don't want to buy extras.

quote:

I'll be away with 6 other people but they all won't be available to play, so no worries about having too many players. What's the ideal number of players? I'm guessing 2 or 3?

I like 3, then 4, then 2. 5 is possible but slow and certain cards will go quick and hamper strategic options.

Good luck and have fun. Once you're hooked play online with us and save money for every expansion!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
As far as player count goes some people do prefer 2p. It does seem like 3p is pretty universally well liked, since it gets you more interaction without getting bogged down.

If you can snag a copy of the 2nd edition update pack for Intrigue before you go, it might be a good idea--it points out some of the dud cards and replaces them with cool, fun ones.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Straight White Shark posted:

If you can snag a copy of the 2nd edition update pack for Intrigue before you go, it might be a good idea--it points out some of the dud cards and replaces them with cool, fun ones.

Even though I don't own the base game? The OP kind of implies I should own both before getting the update packs

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

Even though I don't own the base game? The OP kind of implies I should own both before getting the update packs

If you own a 1st edition copy, you should get the update pack while you can - they probably won't be reprinted. And while I've kept Saboteur and Coppersmith, it''s still great to have the new cards. (I think Dominion is better with Saboteur in it, but Intrigue sure isn't.)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The price is a little steep just for a handful of cards unless you are a hardcore Dominion fan. You can probably wait till your game day to see if you enjoy the game IMO. Then if you fall in love and have any inkling of being a completionist , then yeah jump on that because they don't plan on reprinting them*

*the idea is anyone who bought Intrigue first edition and liked it enough to want the new cards is already an old hand at Dominion, and those people will buy right away. You are a bit of an outlier

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Others may disagree, but I think the best way to improve Intrigue is to throw the entire stack of Swindlers in the garbage.

Some new players complain that Dominion is just multiplayer solitaire. Include Masquerade and Torturer and they won't!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

CaptainRightful posted:

Others may disagree, but I think the best way to improve Intrigue is to throw the entire stack of Swindlers in the garbage.

Some new players complain that Dominion is just multiplayer solitaire. Include Masquerade and Torturer and they won't!

Yah, this. Swindler is a poo poo card and is swingy as gently caress. Don't use it if you like friends.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Swindler is a better idea than Saboteur (because it can't explode Provinces), but I seriously have no idea why DXV would let such a random card get past playtesting unscathed.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's me, I'm the person who loves Swindler.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea I actually like swindler a lot as well and it's hard to really mangle a deck with it unless the board is ripe for it. I could see wanting it to cost more so it's not hitting you immediately, but I'd rather deal with swindler all day than a 5/2 mountebank.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Also best swindler swap is to masterpiece since its effectively downgrading a $3 to a copper

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

Also best swindler swap is to masterpiece since its effectively downgrading a $3 to a copper

Whatever £5 card you just bought into Duchy.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Duke. Or a £4 into Scout.

I woke up the other day and had a sudden random epiphany about the importance of cantrips, it was bizarre. I've got no idea where that came from.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

thespaceinvader posted:

If you turn somebody's opening 5 from a 5/2 into a Duchy before they get to use it, you instawin. gently caress Swindler.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

They just drastically changed the matchmaking at dominion.games. Now if you want a ranked game against a human (whether near your level or not), it ignores your "familiar cards" list. So now you can only practice with the cards you know against the computer (or wait forever for a human) or you'd better be prepared for a selection from every single expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That explains the repeated insta-resigns (or just as frequently people just refusing to play)

I like the new site alright but they have a lot of work to do around making sure you get matched up appropriately and what happens when people stop playing/leave (example: someone could just leave the room and you are stuck sitting there for as long as you would if they were just sitting there not playing before you can force resign them).