Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

fadam posted:

How come my headbutt will randomly knock people down when I'm in revenge mode? They're not out of stamina or anything.

When in revenge mode all knockback moves knock down instead. Conq's shield bash, Warlord's headbutt, Warden's shoulder bash, and Lawbringer's shove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Haroshia posted:

When in revenge mode all knockback moves knock down instead. Conq's shield bash, Warlord's headbutt, Warden's shoulder bash, and Lawbringer's shove.

That's neat. I swear it only happens like half the time, though.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
I just watched a Lawbringer pick up an Orochi, and then a Shugoki came, and grabbed the Orochi from the LB while dude was in the air and broke his back.

I love this game.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Had my first run in with a debuff resist stacker who made it so as a Raider I couldn't even grab into unblockable without getting parried. Also he could parry my poo poo when he was on the ground.

This game is loving poo poo with gear.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Xeremides posted:

I love this game.

:agreed:

Haroshia posted:

This game is loving poo poo with gear.

:agreed:

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

And I just got 360 noscope unblockable clubbed by a Shugoki. I think I'm about done with this game.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Haroshia posted:

And I just got 360 noscope unblockable clubbed by a Shugoki. I think I'm about done with this game.

dodge maybe.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I've never really played any of the 4v4 modes as they don't hold my interest, but yeah.. gear horror stories abound from every corner of the internet. 1v1 and 2v2 are fun and all, but it does tend to get stale after a while. I used to play for an hour or two at a time, but lately it feels like a bit of a skeleton of a game and I'm just going through the motions.

Probably just burned out a bit.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Evil Canadian posted:

dodge maybe.

It'd be nice if dodge moved you more than 3 inches

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

dodge maybe.

It tracks if you dodge too early, which I did. He literally did a 180.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Haroshia posted:

It tracks if you dodge too early, which I did. He literally did a 180.

Its got 6 years of startup, why would you dodge early.

Hell you got enough time to dodge twice even if you did it on its startup frames.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

Its got 6 years of startup, why would you dodge early.

Cuz I anticipate rather than react. Because that's how fighting games should be. There's just too much inconsistent poo poo in this game for me to take any of it seriously, especially when gear changes the little bit of poo poo that is consistent.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Aesis posted:

Also the amount of steel gain is puny (like 20~40 a game?) compared to what's actually required plus scavenging, so it does encourage micro-transactions for min-maxing or leveling up gears.

The amount you get per game is minimal, but you get 300 x 2 each day, plus 100 x like what, up to 8 or 10 contract orders per day? That's like 600 - 1600 steel per day, not counting any of those per-game rewards. The per-game is a drip feed. Orders are where you get steel, dude.

There's no need for microtransactions. Play a few days' worth of orders and you're drowning in steel.

Aesis posted:

:stare: I wonder how many games you played. I barely have time to play 3~4 games a day.

That's enough to get 300 steel per day easy, maybe 600. That's 2100 - 4200 steel per week, free.

Don't pay money for steel.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 25, 2017

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

The amount you get per game is minimal, but you get 300 x 2 each day, plus 100 x like what, up to 8 or 10 contract orders per day? That's like 600 - 1600 steel per day, not counting any of those per-game rewards. The per-game is a drip feed. Orders are where you get steel, dude.

There's no need for microtransactions. Play a few days' worth of orders and you're drowning in steel.

My current order options are all assassin, AI or skirmish poo poo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Double Bill posted:

My current order options are all assassin or AI poo poo

Yeah its definitely not worth doing every single contract order, but still, just doing the dailies is a pretty hefty income and doesn't take long. The contracts are more things I just pick up if I'm doing that game mode anyways. I'm not about to play goddamned skirmish no matter how many orders there are :cheeky:

Can be worth trying out other characters though, if only to learn what options your opponents have. And lots of orders are just "complete" not "win", so you can just lose 2 games real quick and you're done.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Double Bill posted:

My current order options are all assassin or AI poo poo

I suggest quitting your job and playing this game 24/7, and then you, too, will come to the conclusion that this game doesn't require microtransactions to compete against other 108s.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Haroshia posted:

Cuz I anticipate rather than react. Because that's how fighting games should be. There's just too much inconsistent poo poo in this game for me to take any of it seriously, especially when gear changes the little bit of poo poo that is consistent.

Fighting games are also very much about reaction this is no different. The move has a big arc but if you dodge into the side its starting on its incredibly easy to avoid and like I already stated dodge early enough and you can even dodge again. Only person to blame getting hit by it is you(or getting hit in the back with it in 4v4 is fair enough I suppose).

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Haroshia posted:

Well, I guess then you anticipated wrong. :v:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Can be worth trying out other characters though, if only to learn what options your opponents have. And lots of orders are just "complete" not "win", so you can just lose 2 games real quick and you're done.

That's what I do, when its a contract/order for something I don't particularly care for like skirmish/elim, then I just bust out a new character and try to learn them.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Well, I guess then you anticipated wrong. :v:

It's like anticipating, and then dodging, an attack in Dark Souls 2, and then the boss spins around with his fist already on the ground and kills you, anyway. You anticipated wrong based on the absurd rules and hitboxes of that game, yes, but gently caress that.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Here's the UltraChen podcast on For Honor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4wuB6SiDqQ&t=936s

Summary:
-Game favors defensive play too much
-Making a game a tie at time out instead of giving it to the player with the most health is lol
-GB counters are too easy
-Warden is the best character because of the interaction between top stance lights and zone attack

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

quote:

:negative:

I wish

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Your wish is their command. They're switching it back to the way it was in beta, so you can pretty much just spam the guard break button to counter.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Xeremides posted:

Your wish is their command. They're switching it back to the way it was in beta, so you can pretty much just spam the guard break button to counter.

Why do people keep saying this when its 100% false?

Its like some weird phenomenon that so many people read the patch notes and come away with entirely the wrong impression. That's not what the words said.

Every time somebody posts this they get corrected and it keeps on going.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Xeremides posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not true. They're just adjusting how two guardbreaks interact with each other iirc.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Why do people keep saying this when its 100% false?

Its like some weird phenomenon that so many people read the patch notes and come away with entirely the wrong impression. That's not what the words said.

Every time somebody posts this they get corrected and it keeps on going.

Yeah, they're switching it back to the way it was in beta, so you can pretty much just spam the guard break button to counter.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Xeremides posted:

It's like anticipating, and then dodging, an attack in Dark Souls 2, and then the boss spins around with his fist already on the ground and kills you, anyway. You anticipated wrong based on the absurd rules and hitboxes of that game, yes, but gently caress that.

More that the boss wound up, you dodge too early, and the boss then adjusted and targeted your new position.

It's simply how this game is set up. Attacks stop tracking only after a certain point in their wind-up. If you get hit anyways, you dodged either too early or too late. The reason it works that way is because otherwise you'd just have to slam the dodge button the moment your opponent does literally anything and be perfectly safe.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

fadam posted:

Here's the UltraChen podcast on For Honor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4wuB6SiDqQ&t=936s

Summary:
-Game favors defensive play too much
-Making a game a tie at time out instead of giving it to the player with the most health is lol
-Warden is the best character because of the interaction between top stance lights and zone attack

I agree with basically all this, although warden is the strongest not because of top light/zone, but the vortex. If those were the only 2 things that mattered then Peacekeeper and Orochi are way better than the Warden at it.

I like the game a lot but there is a lot of flaws like the above for dueling, gear poo poo in 4v4. However I think its a testament to just how plain fun the game is that with all this stuff I see wrong I am still playing it every day. I know at least there is the one balance patch on the way to make Valk less trash, so hopefully they can address these more fundamental issues.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I don't even play this game anymore.

I just sit in the lab and try out dumb things.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

So fun fact. At full stamina regen the Raider 50/50 thing is literally impossible to do since they get stamina back and can parry.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Evil Canadian posted:

I agree with basically all this, although warden is the strongest not because of top light/zone, but the vortex. If those were the only 2 things that mattered then Peacekeeper and Orochi are way better than the Warden at it.

I like the game a lot but there is a lot of flaws like the above for dueling, gear poo poo in 4v4. However I think its a testament to just how plain fun the game is that with all this stuff I see wrong I am still playing it every day. I know at least there is the one balance patch on the way to make Valk less trash, so hopefully they can address these more fundamental issues.

Yeah, no kidding. This game is colossally flawed but I've put 50 hours in it and I'm legitimately upset I have school poo poo to do today and can't play it right now.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Like if you are an assassin character, you cannot get tossed to the ground if you are exhausted provided you spam your guards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edjHVNAUVu8

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Hypha posted:

Like if you are an assassin character, you cannot get tossed to the ground if you are exhausted provided you spam your guards.

drat, that's what that is. It's happened a fair few times whilst I'm playing Orochi, and it always makes me stop and think "what the hell, aren't I meant to be falling over right now?" I never put two and two together to realise it's cause of stance changes.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Nothing infuriates me more in this game than losing a match because my teammate insists on following these idiotic imaginary rules and sabotages us. I've had a partner step aside and let me get ganged up on because he disapproved of my cliffing someone the previous round, or because I helped him out after I wrapped up my initial opponent.

And then of course he dies like an idiot when he's ganged up on afterward, the whole while disavowing me like I'm a leper for making the most of the game's mechanics.

There. Is. A mode for your precious 1v1 Klingon warrior wankery. It is 1v1, and I've played and enjoyed it. Get in there and stay there.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 25, 2017

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Hypha posted:

I had that happen multiple times with a Shugoki who accused me of lag switching when I tackled him off a cliff. I gotta think he was doing this.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I remember when games were released fully featured and relatively bug free. Ahhh the good old days.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Evil Canadian posted:

However I think its a testament to just how plain fun the game is that with all this stuff I see wrong I am still playing it every day.

It feels like every videogame I play nowadays is like this. I have tons of fun with them but its frustrating how glaringly obvious some of the flaws are.

Maybe this is what its like to be old and unable to overlook stuff :corsair:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

I remember when games were released fully featured and relatively bug free. Ahhh the good old days.

I don't.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

At least Torment: Tides of Numenera is coming out in 3 days. I'm sure that will be a bug free release like inXile's previous titles. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I love playing this game but to be honest with myself it has more to do with the fact that their isn't another game like this. Otherwise I'd probably play that instead and run screaming from Ubisoft's incompetence.

As an aside I just learned there isn't any auto-kick idle in place so at high levels people are just standing in place afk during dominion.