Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Compusaurus posted:

Made it to Cantillon. It's full of - shockingly - English speakers.

Highlights are Fou Foune for sure... Lou Pepe Kriek 2013 is ridiculously good though. Both onsite only. They have some 2007 gueuze but sadly I only have so many euros and need to bring bottles back home.

You made a terrible mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Oh yeah I've been hiking and whenever I go I try to stop by a local brewery that doesn't distribute yet. only been out twice so far cause it's weather willing.

Anyways in PA, DESPERATE TIMES. It's in Carlisle. people have been going bananas for their IPAs I brought back. I hate IPAs so I don't know. Something about a combination of malt and fruity hops? They are like a mile away from Molly Pitcher which I didn't even get to try. I got to molly walked in went "poo poo forgot my growlers" went to the car and by the time I got back the place filled to capacity. But still Desperate times was a cool place. They also have a chocolate pecan stout that was pretty decent. More pecan than chocolate.

And in Emmaus was Yergey Brewery. Not as good as Desperate times I think; again I don't drink IPAs so I'm just going by the reaction of people who drink the stuff I bring back but everyone still loved it. They have a habanero chocolate porter that tastes like fire. Also a to go cup so you can get a beer to go. a food truck right outside and one of the guys would come in and get peoples orders and bring em out. Was a really cool place.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010
Does anyone know how quickly Treehouse gets crowded or if it's a worthwhile trip?

I'm in Connecticut and considering heading up today but not sure if it's worth waiting in line for when I have access to any number of IPAs in NYC.

The other option would be some combination of Beer'd, Willimantic, or Stubborn Beauty

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

They open at odd hours depending on how fast they're canning and if their parking lot gets full. Sometimes thats at like 230-3. Growlers have been kicking at around 5-530 on fridays. Should be able to get cans all night with hardly any line around 6 or so.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

Shabadu posted:

They open at odd hours depending on how fast they're canning and if their parking lot gets full.

Thanks! Got there around 4:30 and there was a really quick line. Got green, doubleganger, and a growler of haze. Excited to try it all.

Someone told me I should have just gotten my full allocation and sold what I didn't want which I have never considered. I always just get what I think I'll drink

Now, at Homefield trying some other Massachusetts beer.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.
If any of you get a chance to try the "Happy Blending" Wicked Weed/Rare Barrel collab, 100% go for it. If I had known about it and that I would like it so much, I would have made it a point to go out of my way to buy a case all for myself. Even at $23/bottle.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Despite the fact that I don't know what the hell this new Shared thing is from Side Project, their new Proof of Concept pale ale is real good. Nice little touch of bitterness that sets it apart from the hazy juice bombzzz everyone else is making.

Also got Pulling Nails #6, a coffee vanilla bourbon barrel stout from some Illinois brewery, and Shared's new English barleywine. Having a Side Project buddy is real nice.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Thanks! Got there around 4:30 and there was a really quick line. Got green, doubleganger, and a growler of haze. Excited to try it all.

Someone told me I should have just gotten my full allocation and sold what I didn't want which I have never considered. I always just get what I think I'll drink

Now, at Homefield trying some other Massachusetts beer.

Yo say what was your favorite or whatever. My mothers birthday is in april so whenever I have time in march I'm probably gonna hit Greenhouse and then Trillium stay at my cousins and then head back. But I'm not 100% on what to get from treehouse.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Dem Bones posted:

If any of you get a chance to try the "Happy Blending" Wicked Weed/Rare Barrel collab, 100% go for it. If I had known about it and that I would like it so much, I would have made it a point to go out of my way to buy a case all for myself. Even at $23/bottle.

Yo, my wife is in NC for family poo poo this week and I told her if she had to get a single bottle to take home in her checked luggage it was this. She picked up at least one and maybe some other stuff at the funkatorium so I'm super excited now.

Leper Residue posted:

Yo say what was your favorite or whatever. My mothers birthday is in april so whenever I have time in march I'm probably gonna hit Greenhouse and then Trillium stay at my cousins and then head back. But I'm not 100% on what to get from treehouse.

You get whatever they have on the day you go. There's no choice, just do it.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Dem Bones posted:

I can hook you up with one or two if you want.

Also people are in line at heist since 1 this morning. loving stupid.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
don't think it's been mentioned yet, so i'll go ahead and tell you all that you can safely skip Stone's Give Me IPA or Give Me Death

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

funkybottoms posted:

don't think it's been mentioned yet, so i'll go ahead and tell you all that you can safely skip Stone

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Captain Duvel posted:

Also people are in line at heist since 1 this morning. loving stupid.

LOL, jesus.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I wouldn't go that far. lovely kickstarter notwithstanding, IRS is still one of the best values in stouts around, delicious and ages very well. Pretty much everything else they do, though, has been far outclassed.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

crazyfish posted:

I wouldn't go that far. lovely kickstarter notwithstanding, IRS is still one of the best values in stouts around, delicious and ages very well. Pretty much everything else they do, though, has been far outclassed.

Too bad they are not doing IRS this year. :(

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh hey I should have posted this awhile back, but my wife and I will be in Japan for the next week and a half. :toot: We'll be in Tokyo (Shinjuku/Shimbashi), Osaka, and Yokohama. I know there are a few people who head out that way frequently - any recommendations? We already plan to hit up all the Baird taprooms!

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Podima posted:

Oh hey I should have posted this awhile back, but my wife and I will be in Japan for the next week and a half. :toot: We'll be in Tokyo (Shinjuku/Shimbashi), Osaka, and Yokohama. I know there are a few people who head out that way frequently - any recommendations? We already plan to hit up all the Baird taprooms!

Popeye beer bar is the obvious choice. Yebisu has a cool museum, but it's a bit out there on the train. They do have beer jelly, which is one of the single oddest things I've ever eaten.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Podima posted:

SUPER HASSLER and Daunte Vicknabb

also, i see that Fonta Flora changed up their $100 per bottle society:

4 exclusive 750ml bottles of 2 different Appalachian Wild Ale blends, and 1 single barrel 500ml bottle, created specifically for AWAS members.

First right of refusal to purchase 6 different Appalachian Wild Ales brands.

dunno if this was there before:

Secret Bottle Menu available for purchase for in house consumption only. (their emphasis)

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

I am happy to report that the NE IPA craze has not yet made it to Peru. Unfortunately, neither has the good IPA trend. I did have beer made with purple corn in it, though. Has DFH done a bad version of that yet?

Podima posted:

PDX Taproom, of course.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I've had to go to the Philippines earlier than expected this year, but I'm going to try and see if there's anything worth drinking I can experience, maybe in Manila. Blogger I follow has documented some places in Manila I think, so I hope I'm not stuck with just San Miguel here.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Podima posted:

I was in Osaka in December and quite liked these places:

Craft Beer Works KAMIKAZE (many imported beers)
Beer Belly (there is a brewery there, they do a bunch of styles)
Craft beer base Bud (it's on the 2nd basement floor of a mall near the station, hard to find, but a cozy place with good local/Japanese craft beers and nice bartenders)

I didn't crawl the whole city for craft beer though, I just went to places with convenient locations.

I wasn't in Tokyo for as long but there I liked the Baird taproom there, they had good examples of many styles and the interior was lovely. It's near Shinjuku and near a station. I don't think I made it to any other noteworthy craft beer places there, though I did see several fake ones by Asahi.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Podima posted:

Tokyo: Baird in Harajuku, Craft Heads in Shibuya

Osaka: Beer Belly in Temma (good luck finding it but it's well worth the effort....)
http://www.minoh-beer.jp/spot/beerbelly_temma/
https://www.ratebeer.com/p/beer-belly-tenma/26925/
https://s.tabelog.com/en/osaka/A2701/A270103/27064698/

Oh yeah and this place's cellar has very reasonably priced lambic but you gotta do some digging. Don't bother trying to ask the staff for help
http://www.craftbeerbase.com/
https://www.ratebeer.com/p/goto/27887/

air- fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 26, 2017

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Podima posted:

Baird Harajuku is great fun, I haven't been to the others but Numazu's kinda far to go for what'll be pretty much the same thing as in Harajuku with some different food.

Shibuya is home to Faucets and Craftheads which are possibly the funnest beer bars in the area, and there are a lot of other establishments in that general area. In the same ward Watering Hole is another lovely place, and when you're around that area you aren't terribly far from the Yo-Ho basement brewery-taproom as well. The regrettably closed Mikkeller was right there as well. POPEYE in Ryogoku is the old-guard place for the entire country, but it gets crowded and there are now a ton of other options.

In Osaka you'll want to hit Marciero, a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny place in the middle of a fun-district but super booming with atmosphere and always unusual things on tap. I have very good memories of Yellow Ape and the assorted Minoh locations I hit up as well, but it's been a while. My favorite place in Osaka by far was Dig Beer Bar but sadly they closed in December.

Drink lots of Shiga Kogen.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 27, 2017

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

In other news I'm finally driving to Houston today :beerpal:

The Southern Prohibition Brewery in Hattiesburg, MS makes some pretty legit beer, from the Mississippi Fire Ant BBA imperial red ale to the dark saison they have in cans at the mo. They deserve to be in a more beer-friendly state, but this city seems to keep a scene going pretty strong regardless.

Also had the Double Dry Hopped Envie from ol' Parish Brewing in Lafayette. It is, for all intents and purposes, a hazy IPA. You can tell when something's truly a trend in craft beer when it hits the South 18 months later.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Also had the Double Dry Hopped Envie from ol' Parish Brewing in Lafayette. It is, for all intents and purposes, a hazy IPA. You can tell when something's truly a trend in craft beer when it hits the South 18 months later.

Since you've been away, I've seen hazy IPAs from a pretty sizable group of Oregon breweries that I wouldn't have expected. Pretty much everyone is trying it now - even McMenamins and Widmer are giving it a shot (McM's is actually pretty good). Brewers are still trying to figure it out, most of them have been below average and nowhere near what NE brewers are putting out. They also seem to be going for the NW version of the hazy IPA, with some actual bitterness present.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
I'm going to be in Ann Arbor later today on my drive from Chicago to NJ. Are there any must-visit stores or breweries?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Slore Tactician posted:

I'm going to be in Ann Arbor later today on my drive from Chicago to NJ. Are there any must-visit stores or breweries?

If you are here at dinner time I would recommend Jolly Pumpkin on Main Street. Their food is excellent, though the tap list can sometimes be a bit lackluster. If you've got a serious JP craving, hit up their production brewery (Null Taproom) in nearby Dexter for better choices. They don't have any food beyond snacks though.

Beer Grotto is also downtown and usually has a good taplist.

Wolverine Brewing Company on Stadium for lagers.

I have not actually been to Glasshouse Brewing yet but have heard good things. It's a couple blocks from Wolverine.

For beer stores I would suggest Plum Market on Maple or Lucky's Market on South Industrial.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 27, 2017

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

had an excellent- if too $hort- time hanging out with cryme and wife, who is a really lovely person. sorry we kinda got hijacked by the out-of-town brewery bros who had stopped by, but they were nice enough, so hopefully that didn't kill the vibe. oh, and they came back the next day and dropped off beers for me and the taproom manager, too!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Slore Tactician posted:

Probably too late but...

Multi-Taps: Hopcat. It's a big name now, but they still are the best multi-tap in A2. I was very unimpressed with The Beer Grotto. Rappourt Brew & Chew is new and also supposed to be very good, though it's a bit outside on the north-end of town.

Quite a bit outside of town there is Cultivate in Ypsi which has less than 30 taps but a veeeery nice variety, proof that quality is better than quantity. It's also next to Maiz, the aforementioned Mexican restaurant that offers $3 talls of Two Hearted during happy hour throughout the week. It's also next to Sidetracks which has a mediocre taplist and overrated burgers and smells like a bathroom but used to be awesome. (I think. Sidetracks was cool when I was in college and drunk.) But you can always walk across the street and get a pizza at Aubree's then shoot some pool upstairs afterward. That or you could check out Wurst Bar further down Cross, which has good greasy bar food and an okay taplist as well.

Breweries: A2 (and Ypsi) breweries kinda suck, but I'll second JP on Main even though I honestly think JP is overrated as hell. I have a soft spot for Corner Brewery in Ypsi despite the mediocre beer; it's Ann Arbor Brewing Co.'s brewhouse (or w/e)--the atmosphere is excellent and the food is just as good, making up for the mediocre brews.

Basically what I'm saying is lately I honestly prefer a night out in Ypsi to A2. Cultivate, Maiz, Sidetracks, Aubree's, and Corner Brewery are all within short walking distance of one another.

Gio fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 28, 2017

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Recommending visitors of our fine city to visit Corner "Arbor Brewing Company Microbrewery" Brewery is bad and you should feel bad.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I like the food and atmosphere! I left the appropriate caveat there. :colbert:

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

funkybottoms posted:

had an excellent- if too $hort- time hanging out with cryme and wife, who is a really lovely person. sorry we kinda got hijacked by the out-of-town brewery bros who had stopped by, but they were nice enough, so hopefully that didn't kill the vibe. oh, and they came back the next day and dropped off beers for me and the taproom manager, too!

It was a great time! And those dudes were pretty cool and enthusiastic, so that was fun. Hopefully their beer is good.

We were able to hit SubRosa the next morning, which was the truth (I've eaten nearly an entire loaf of bread in the last 24hrs), and Triple Crossing before we had to head out of town in order to make it home at a reasonable hour. Sometime soon we'll have to get down there for longer than a day and a half. I certainly have a mountain of recommendations yet to take you up on.

A sort of blessing in disguise was that it seems like every popular brewery in RVA got absolutely slammed in the past week w/ the unseasonable weather, and so the available offerings at each were stripped down. So no FOMO, at least.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Sirotan posted:

Recommending visitors of our fine city to visit Corner "Arbor Brewing Company Microbrewery" Brewery is bad and you should feel bad.

What was the deal with this place? I remember a long discussion in this thread a few years back.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

The beer sucks. I assume that's the full extent of it, but I dunno.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
OK, I found an article about it: http://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/arbor-brewing-co-presents-a-case-study-in-local-business-ethics-and-crowdfunding/Content?oid=2300192

Think this went down about the same time Stone did it to fund their brewery in Germany.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Real Name Grover posted:

OK, I found an article about it: http://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/arbor-brewing-co-presents-a-case-study-in-local-business-ethics-and-crowdfunding/Content?oid=2300192

Think this went down about the same time Stone did it to fund their brewery in Germany.

Wow that's loving scummy. The more you know, I guess.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

p. glad high westified coffee stout is a regularass shelf six pack now

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Hauki posted:

p. glad high westified coffee stout is a regularass shelf six pack now

It is awesome this year, 100% agree. In fact I may drink my last one in a show of solidarity and hope I can find more somewhere.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sirotan posted:

I got dragged along to trivia at ABC in Ann Arbor last week and the bottle of Framboise I had* on-site was pretty good.

*It's probably the first ABC beer I've had in over a year, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Sip of Sunshine deliveries are frequent enough now in Boston that I can just walk into the biggest packy around and grab one off the shelf. Gone in a day and limit one, but hey, enough places get it that I can just drive around and pick up a full case without effort.