Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The n64 zeldas were poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

OWLS! posted:

zelda is poo poo.

fixed.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Randomized dungeons are the best feature, and it's not worth playing an ARPG without them.

Looking at you, Titan Quest. Even on your first playthrough, the "hand-crafted" maps in TQ are dreary and predictable compared to even a mediocre randomizer.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

basic hitler posted:

Red alert 2 is so good its ridiculous. Yuris revenge is good too. Fun multiplayer even though yuri was pretty broken iirc. Of cpurse i was 11 and didn't care about metas and being good

I haven't played the game in over 10 years but I can still hear Yuri's VA saying his quotes in my head.

"Predictable."

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Vakal posted:

I haven't played the game in over 10 years but I can still hear Yuri's VA saying his quotes in my head.

"Predictable."

im glad im not the only one who makes up unit responses going around the house.

*opens a drawer* A bold move
*gets a fork* my thoughts exactly
*walks to fridge* Haha, Yes, of course.
*gets beer* Haha, Yes, of course.
*walks to couch* Never see us coming...

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The desolator and tesla soldier have my favorite unit dialog i think. Its been too long. Tanya is my waifu

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
brigador is cool and owns

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Einstein is the best unit in red alert

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Arnie Frankfurter is the best unit in Red Alert 2.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It's pronounced Rye-you not Ree-you so gently caress-you.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
It's pronounced Shang Too-Sung, not Shang Sung.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
its pronounced sub-zeo, the r is silent

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
EYE is actually really good and enjoyable and despite the rough translation, it actually kind of fits with the themes of the game!

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Stranger Danger Ranger posted:

dark souls 2 is the best dark souls game

Extremely disagree.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Girls need to score 80% or higher on my quiz before I'll consider them real gamer girls and not fake lamer hurls.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGL2rytTraA

Nope, I mean, yes.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Any games made >5 years ago are now objectively bad by today's standards and gets rose colored glasses. They weren't good, you just didn't know any better.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

The revelation at the end of Bioshock Infinite makes wanting to bone that girl a little more problematic.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Mass effect sucks.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Halo is the best fps of all time.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Smythe posted:

Same, but C&C Generals.

*starting an old car* it still runs!
*starts work on a lame project* Ok ok, I will work!
*Gets take-out* China has been generous!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
*flirting at the bar* Stop touching me!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Unpopular opinion: After updates and expansions D3 is now in a really good spot, and better than D2. From my point of view it's strictly better because it is basically the same game as D2 with enormously improved quality of life. The main complaint I hear is that it's dumb having the bad guys speak to you in pop ups during their acts. Which I agree is pretty dumb, but not enough to say all of D3 sucks

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Unpopular Opinion: D2 wasn't very good in the first place so its not a high bar.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Diablo is tedious and the only thing raising the difficulty does is make it more tedious.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Any games made >5 years ago are now objectively bad by today's standards and gets rose colored glasses. They weren't good, you just didn't know any better.

Didn't realize PaRappa the Rapper was released in 2012.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the Diablo series straight up never rises above the heights of the first game, which is very good. Because they were subsequently made when blizzard was objectively shittier than the company that released Diablo 1.

Blizzard hasn't released a really good game since Diablo 1/Warcraft 2. Diablo 2/lod was okay, warcraft 3 was bad, world of warcraft was a good MMO until they merged with activision, who then began to immediately patch out any difficulty in the game and turned it into a retarded lil treadmill for babies.

WoW peaked with patch 1.13

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
dark souls 2 was good and i enjoyed playing it

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It's not the devs fault you can't learn

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Story, even in story video games like gone home, has very little to do with how good a game is.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Unpopular opinion: After updates and expansions D3 is now in a really good spot, and better than D2. From my point of view it's strictly better because it is basically the same game as D2 with enormously improved quality of life. The main complaint I hear is that it's dumb having the bad guys speak to you in pop ups during their acts. Which I agree is pretty dumb, but not enough to say all of D3 sucks

is it better than modded Diablo 2? i doubt it. Diablo 3 will always be an eternal failure, because Blizzards greed made them design it in a way that makes modding impossible.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

basic hitler posted:

the Diablo series straight up never rises above the heights of the first game, which is very good. Because they were subsequently made when blizzard was objectively shittier than the company that released Diablo 1.

Blizzard hasn't released a really good game since Diablo 1/Warcraft 2. Diablo 2/lod was okay, warcraft 3 was bad, world of warcraft was a good MMO until they merged with activision, who then began to immediately patch out any difficulty in the game and turned it into a retarded lil treadmill for babies.

WoW peaked with patch 1.13

WoW was fun back then not because of the difficulty but because of what I would call the 'mystery' of it. To get the level 60 warlock mount, I had to ask other warlocks around town where to get the reagents, trek all over the world to obscure and faraway places where i was unlikely to see another player, pay a team of people to travel with me to strange part of a strange dungeon, etc. Everything felt like an adventure! Now every aspect of every video game is datamined and polished and a bunch of math nerds wittle everything down to the 'optimal' strategy, stand here at time $x, if $y, then $z, etc. Still, even after activition and blizzard merged and overpolished everything and wowhead and those other dataminers came out and sucked the soul out of the content, it was still sort of fun to meet people and run group quests and dungeons. Then they took that away too when they added cross-server group finding, after that every group was at best silent or more frequently extremely toxic and it turned to complete poo poo.

Vanilla WoW was lightning in a bottle and nothing will ever bring it back because current video game culture is all about meaningless achievements, scores, and treadmills instead of fun or socializing with other people.

Video game "culture" ruined video games.

edit: Also gently caress twitch

Blockade fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 25, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blockade posted:

WoW was fun back then not because of the difficulty but because of what I would call the 'mystery' of it. To get the level 60 warlock mount, I had to ask other warlocks around town where to get the reagents, trek all over the world to obscure and faraway places where i was unlikely to see another player, pay a team of people to travel with me to strange part of a strange dungeon, etc. Everything felt like an adventure! Now every aspect of every video game is datamined and polished and a bunch of math nerds wittle everything down to the 'optimal' strategy, stand here at time $x, if $y, then $z, etc. Still, even after activition and blizzard merged and overpolished everything and wowhead and those other dataminers came out and sucked the soul out of the content, it was still sort of fun to meet people and run group quests and dungeons. Then they took that away too when they added cross-server group finding, after that every group was at best silent or more frequently extremely toxic and it turned to complete poo poo.

Vanilla WoW was lightning in a bottle and nothing will ever bring it back because current video game culture is all about meaningless achievements, scores, and treadmills instead of fun or socializing with other people.

Video game "culture" ruined video games.

edit: Also gently caress twitch

same, except WoW ruined MMOs and Ultima Online was the golden age

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Earth & Beyond is the best MMO ever made.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The only time diablo 2 was good was when you could run mephisto bots etc without getting caught. Just set it running before going to sleep and every morning was like christmas. Then you could actually participate in the high level trading part of the game that would be impossible to do without hacking and you could make whatever ridiculously good pvp thing you wanted.

Actually playing the game was boring as poo poo and that didn't change in diablo 3.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Smythe posted:

*eats beer with a fork* Are you sure about this, sir?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Rutibex posted:

same, except WoW ruined MMOs and Ultima Online was the golden age

Yep

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Lmfao at some trammy carebear newblett coming in and waxing about a mother loving EQ clone theme park game hahahahaha gently caress off dude

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

actually eq is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

food court bailiff posted:

It is no surprise at all that Nintendo doesn't make more new franchises when stuff like Codename S.T.E.A.M. is already sitting in bargain bins all over and Splatoon, the company's best-selling new IP of the last decade, sold less than half as many copies as lovely entries of other series like Assassin's Creed Unity.

Nintendo should still do more than their infinite wave of Mario and Zelda titles. They have a bad habit of killing things for not making gigantic sales. In the end it leaves them with consoles that have only two games of any value coming out each year and endless rereleases of decades old games. They should try making lots of lower budget games alongside their big titles so that they can have an actual library on their consoles and some variety in their games.

Honestly I'd take anything over waiting nearly decades at a time for something new or interesting to come from Nintendo. It wouldn't kill them to have a team make a new F Zero or 2D metroid on a lower budget, or try out making some cool retro style games.

Also, splatoon's lack of sales can be blamed on the WiiU selling like trash.