Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Jesus, every time I try to find something fun in druid, I walk away like "why does anyone play this class"

Edit: pretend I was responding to the post about the DM picking the animals. drat phoneposting

Turn into giant toad, consume enemy casters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Big Black Brony posted:

Make it the target AC or aim for something like a flat 10dc, 50/50 chance. Also should I add some cool down? Or just have em blast away?
Blast away. I mean, if you do it every turn you're gonna end up surrounded by angry people you haven't murdered.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah if you're gonna roll, roll whether you hit or not. Don't have additional rolls for the hooking part - that's the reward.
Having two rolls is fine, as long as each roll is a thing in itself.

Hookshot
Bonus Action
1 target
Melee or Ranged attack vs AC (standard rocket punch rules), range whatever
1d6 + mod damage.
On a hit, you latch on to the target.

Reel 'em in
1 latched target of your size or smaller
8 + str mod + prof vs str
Effect: Target loses the latched status.
On a failed save deal 1d6 + mod damage and the target is pulled adjacent to you.

Here I come
1 latched target of your size or larger
8 + dex mod + prof vs dex
Effect: Move next to the target and target loses the latched status.
On a failed save deal 1d6 + mod damage.

Just smack 'em around with the chain a bit
1 latched target
Melee or Ranged attack vs AC, target must be latched.
2d6 + mod damage, target remains latched hit or miss.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

Hookshot

Reel 'em in

Here I come

This is great.

Here I Come doesn't seem like it does much, given that practically nothing can stop you during your move and move/action are already two separate things. Maybe if the range was longer than your move, or the surprisingly quick movement disallowed OA on you?

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

This is great.

Here I Come doesn't seem like it does much, given that practically nothing can stop you during your move and move/action are already two separate things. Maybe if the range was longer than your move, or the surprisingly quick movement disallowed OA on you?

Latching is a bonus action. Any of these abilities can be used in place of an attack.

Here I Come avoids OAs and caounts as a charge if you move more than 10'.

So: latch (bonus), Here I Come (attack 1), then melee attack (attack 2).

Also any movement a latched creature makes allows you to Just Smack Them Around A Little as an OA.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah they were supposed to be attacks, so the idea of Here I Come was getting (range) worth of basically-a-teleport on top of your normal move.

The NPC posted:

Also any movement a latched creature makes allows you to Just Smack Them Around A Little as an OA.
Awesome, I was trying to think of an effect to apply to a latched character, that's perfect.

Also on reflection:

Splicer posted:

1 latched target
Melee or Ranged attack vs AC, target must be latched.
Effect: Hit or miss you may choose to unlatch the target.
2d6 + mod damage on a hit.

The hookshot retracts and reloads automatically and immediately on unlatching.

Also if you target scenery (or a monster big enough to count as scenery) there's no rolling, you just shoot, zip, and unlatch as a bonus action.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 25, 2017

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Ryuujin posted:

the last good version of the Elemental Monk

It's kind of amazing how much better they made the baseline Monk class at the same time they made the Wo4E archetype so much worse. Bolting the playtest Wo4E onto the PHB monk might be a fun house rule to try sometime.

For those curious, here is what the baseline Monk looked like: Stunning Strike could only be activated on a crit (though at least it was free). You had to spend Ki to get the same slow fall damage reduction as the PHB Monk. Unarmored movement topped out at 5', Step of the Wind's dash was +15' of speed instead of doubling for the cost of a Ki point. There was no ki-powered dodge or disengage. They didn't effectively get extra attack until level 8. There was no concept of "monk weapons", so you couldn't really benefit from magic weapons because it'd override your unarmed attacks. All this, and they topped out at a mere 8 Ki points. They didn't get Ki-recovery outside of rests until level 20, although at least that was a capstone worth going to 20 for.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
My group for Curse of Strahd decided they wanted to random roll everything including race, and place their stats in order rolled. So I've ended up with a drow dex paladin, a goblin rogue, half Orc Druid, and a high elf UA beast ranger. Everyone's wearing leather and the highest con score is 12. I'm almost certain they won't make it through Death House but in the event they do, how can I best make them regret their decision to random roll everything?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well even if they had used point buy, picked their races and classes and such they probably wouldn't have made it through Death House. Heck they could have had straight 18s and probably wouldn't have made it through Death House.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Defiant Sally posted:

My group for Curse of Strahd decided they wanted to random roll everything including race, and place their stats in order rolled. So I've ended up with a drow dex paladin, a goblin rogue, half Orc Druid, and a high elf UA beast ranger. Everyone's wearing leather and the highest con score is 12. I'm almost certain they won't make it through Death House but in the event they do, how can I best make them regret their decision to random roll everything?

Follow their lead. Random roll for all monster HP, treasure, and wandering monsters. It won't necessarily punish them but it will be memorable.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Defiant Sally posted:

how can I best make them regret their decision to random roll everything?

why? why do you want to make your players not have fun?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If you weren't willing to run that game, you should have said so. Either don't let them roll for everything if you don't want to accommodate it, or play something else, or don't play.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Defiant Sally posted:

Why would you want your players to regret it? They told you what they wanted to do, you could have said "nope, I'm not running it like that", but having said "OK, sure", why not just tailor the game to the group like you would (presumably) do with any other group?

Or maybe talk to them and clear up exactly what they want, because if what they're trying to tell you is that they want that perceived-oldschool thing of "let the dice fall where they may" then give them exactly that, but don't be a dick about it or do it for "revenge" or whatever. Simply put the opponent's pertinent combat information (hp, attack bonus, ac, damage, etc) out in the open, roll all dice in the open (yes, you too, "the dice fall where they may" applies equally to the DM), and make sure everyone knows that they'll have to take the results as they are, not as how they'd like them to be.

Also discuss with them what they think death should mean in this game, because it's going to come up. Like, a lot. Enough that you'll want some coherent fair plan to deal with it so that everyone's not spending between 3/4 and all of each session making a new PC.

e: Also important: "don't hide pertinent information from the players" isn't the same as "show them all the maps and secret bits", it's about not trying to obfuscate what any die result means. So like if the adventure has you roll 1d10 for every 10 minute block and wandering monsters appear on a 7+, you say "OK, ten minutes have passed. Every 10 minutes from now on I'm going to roll this, which is the wandering monster die. If it's a 7+, you get wandering monsters".

To put it another way, they know the bad guy's AC and current HP, but they don't know that if he's reduced to 10hp or less he teleports away (or whatever other thing, I haven't played this adventure).

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 25, 2017

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Elfgames posted:

why? why do you want to make your players not have fun?

Dont worry, they'll have fun. I made it pretty clear to them that COS is pretty difficult and our last DM was really lazy in running the game, leading them to do dumb poo poo all the time without recourse.

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you weren't willing to run that game, you should have said so. Either don't let them roll for everything if you don't want to accommodate it, or play something else, or don't play.

I'm certainly willing to run the game. They kinda went a little crazy with the whole ALL RANDOM EVERYTHING gimmick (i wasn't around for the character creation session so it was too late for me to nip it) They only picked class based on stats, and as noted above I really tried to drive home that they may want to optimize a bit. They're all pretty okay with the idea of dying.

AlphaDog posted:

Why would you want your players to regret it? They told you what they wanted to do, you could have said "nope, I'm not running it like that", but having said "OK, sure", why not just tailor the game to the group like you would (presumably) do with any other group?

Or maybe talk to them and clear up exactly what they want, because if what they're trying to tell you is that they want that perceived-oldschool thing of "let the dice fall where they may" then give them exactly that, but don't be a dick about it or do it for "revenge" or whatever. Simply put the opponent's pertinent combat information (hp, attack bonus, ac, damage, etc) out in the open, roll all dice in the open (yes, you too, "the dice fall where they may" applies equally to the DM), and make sure everyone knows that they'll have to take the results as they are, not as how they'd like them to be.

Also discuss with them what they think death should mean in this game, because it's going to come up. Like, a lot. Enough that you'll want some coherent fair plan to deal with it so that everyone's not spending between 3/4 and all of each session making a new PC.

e: Also important: "don't hide pertinent information from the players" isn't the same as "show them all the maps and secret bits", it's about not trying to obfuscate what any die result means. So like if the adventure has you roll 1d10 for every 10 minute block and wandering monsters appear on a 7+, you say "OK, ten minutes have passed. Every 10 minutes from now on I'm going to roll this, which is the wandering monster die. If it's a 7+, you get wandering monsters".

To put it another way, they know the bad guy's AC and current HP, but they don't know that if he's reduced to 10hp or less he teleports away (or whatever other thing, I haven't played this adventure).

Perhaps I miscommunicated. I think it's hilarious but they have a habit of doing stupid poo poo constantly (attacking innocents, throwing fireballs in enclosed spaces, throwing party balance to the wind for the sake of randomness) so I'm unlikely to pull any punches. Not for revenge or something silly like that, I've been friends with these guys for like 16 years. None of them have any idea what Ravenloft is or what to expect so I can get creative with the whole death side of things at least.

As for the last parts, we're usually pretty open with that sort of information. Most of us have flipped through the monster manuals so there's no sense in playing dumb.

Defiant Sally fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 25, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I've looked at Sage Advice and asked the rules developer but just in case there's anywhere else with a definitive ruling on this that I haven't seen:

An enemy breaks off from me provoking an opportunity attack. With War Caster, I respond and tag him with Booming Blade. Jeremy Crawford has said nothing compels the target to move, but it's unclear whether they change their mind before or after the initial 5 feet, and whether that first 5 feet would set off the boom. The rules for OAs feel like they're trying to have it both ways, responding to an action that's already happened but then rewinding the movement as if it hadn't happened just to avoid the problems of attacking at 10 feet.

Anyone got a good definitive answer or at least instructive analogous rule situation?

Basically I'm trying to decide if

1) The enemy moves its 5 feet but can't move further without booming
2) The enemy moves its 5 feet and instantly booms
or
3) The enemy can and must stop before moving 5 feet to avoid the boom

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 25, 2017

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

It's the third one. Opportunity attacks occur before the target leaves the square (per PHB) and the target can choose whether or not to continue moving (per Sage Advice twitter) to trigger the extra damage. An analagous situation would be Sentinel, which entirely halts movement: the target doesn't move 5 feet out of reach and then stop, it stops right where it was hit.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Cool. This could be fun with Flaming Sphere. Thanks.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
One of my players has been looking into the mystic science of golem creation. Assuming he wants to create one, I'd like to accomodate him, but I'd like to avoid making it too easy.

Here're the steps I've come up with thus far:
  1. Craft a palm-sized, human-shaped fetish out of materials similar to (but separate from) the subtance you plan on making your golem out of. This fetish must be made by your own hands, passing a 15 DC craftsmanship (slight of hand) check.
  2. The fetish must be the centerpiece of a ritual lasting a minimum of 10 minutes, uninterupted, during which time the fetish is lightly painted with various exotic spices and rare powders mixed into a lather. The value of these ingredients should be no less than 100 gold.
  3. The painted fetish must be left to dry overnight, bathed in moonlight. The phase of the moon is largely irrelevant, with the exception of full moons (which imbue the fetish with additional power) and new moons (which do nothing).
  4. The completed fetish may now be used to construct a golem at your leisure. To create a golem, you must locate or procure an ample supply of the substance you wish to make your golem out of, place or bury your fetish within, and sacrifice a spell slot in a ritual lasting 5 minutes. The resulting golem will have 1d12 (minimum 6) HP per level of spell slot sacrificed, and damage vulnerabilities, resistances, and immunities befitting the subtance that composes the bulk of its body. Golem size is also dictated by the level of spell slot sacrificed.
  5. The resulting golem is totally loyal to its creator, and capable of following simple instructions with no regards for its own well-being. The golem must be maintained by continually sacrificing the same spell slot used to create it once per day, or it will crumble under the moonlight.
  6. Golems do not require food or sleep, are immune to all non-physical conditions, and cannot be healed nor strengthened by additional spells. When a golem's HP is 0, it crumbles immediately. The fetish used to power it may be recovered depending on the nature of the golem's death.
  7. Fetishes bathed in the light of the full moon are capable of creating self-sustaining golems who may live for a week without the sacrifice of additional spell slots.
  8. There are rumors of ancient wizards who engineered golems lasting for months or even years under their own power, but such techniques have long been lost.
Wouldn't mind another pair of eyes to help with tweaks.

For funsies, here's what a golem costing a single 1st level spell slot might look like,

And here's his bigger brother costing a higher (probably 4th level?) slot.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
How good is his sleight of hand? 15 might be a bit too high for the first hurdle of a lengthy process.

Also maybe it would be worth looking at monster hp values for similar creatures (of the level of the spell slot) and use those instead of rolling randomly? It'd suck to have a guy who dies to a stiff breeze after accomplishing everything required.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm pretty sure he's got decent slight of hand, though I don't mind lowering the DC. I also delibertely loosened the restrictions in his favor by saying the fetish just had to be fashioned out of similar materials with no stated cost, so the first step amounts to a relatively low-risk wager where trying again is easy (but possibly time-consuming).

I don't mind reworking HP like you've suggested though, since that's the kind of thing (like attack values) that's gonna vary wildly between golems anyway. An earthen golem, a rock golem, and a scarecrow golem of the same level are all gonna have pretty different durability ratings. I just wanted a placeholder so in a pinch I can roll and say "Alright, well, your element-I-didn't-expect golem is about this tough," possibly with other modifiers in play.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 25, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Cool concept. I like the idea of different abilities/resistances for different materials.

When you "sacrifice" a spell slot, does that mean that instead of having that slot to memorise a spell in, the slot is used to power the golem? Like, if you sacrifice a 4th level slot, you can memorise one fewer 4th level spell while your golem is active?

e: As usual with minions and followers, I'd say that it's better if you conceptually treat the caster with golem as "a character" rather than give the golem its own initiative etc, but that seems to run counter to the vibe you've got going on.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Oh also, you may wish to have a restriction on the number of golems that can be active at one time to avoid army-of-skeletons-style problems.

Overall its pretty neat.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone seen or heard good stories about someone trying to pull a fast one on a god using Commune? I know it's written with enough outs that you can't just automatically enslave a god, but I feel like if you pick your mark and your ambitions correctly, you might convince an ambivalent god or perhaps a trickster god that appreciates your audacity to do something cool for you with the old "will your answer to the following question be 'no'" trick.

I could imagine some gods getting a kick out of it, helping a hero out, and being like "ps if you ever try that again, you'll watch your own balls wither and die on the vine"

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

nelson posted:

I would not use mass combat dice rolling in an RPG. Handle the mass combat narratively while the PCs focus on certain key objectives that influence the battle.

Examples:
Sneak or fight their way into the fortress to lower the drawbridge.
Defeat the wizards who are magically shielding the opposing forces.
Defeat the necromancers who are raising skeletons.
Scout ahead to determine enemy numbers and locations, return quickly enough to do something about it.
Sabotage enemy artillery.
Defeat the enemy giant that is decimating your foot soldiers.

How quickly each task is accomplished should usually impact how many soldiers each side loses.

L5R 4e does something like this that's pretty cool. Mass combat battles have Battle Turns, and each battle turn the generals roll against each other to see who is winning (or neither of them are). For each Battle Turn, the hero rolls with some modifiers based on winning/losing and their position in the battle. They take some damage, gain some glory, and can potentially trigger a duel or a Heroic Opportunity, which is something like the objectives descibed above, to risk themselves further for more glory.

It seems pretty neat, even though I haven't actually played a game with that system.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Anyone seen or heard good stories about someone trying to pull a fast one on a god using Commune? I know it's written with enough outs that you can't just automatically enslave a god, but I feel like if you pick your mark and your ambitions correctly, you might convince an ambivalent god or perhaps a trickster god that appreciates your audacity to do something cool for you with the old "will your answer to the following question be 'no'" trick.

I could imagine some gods getting a kick out of it, helping a hero out, and being like "ps if you ever try that again, you'll watch your own balls wither and die on the vine"

Why would the god say yes or no to a question they haven't heard yet? (The spell description itself instructs the DM to answer "unclear" to ambiguous questions).

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Mr. Tambo posted:

Why would the god say yes or no to a question they haven't heard yet? (The spell description itself instructs the DM to answer "unclear" to ambiguous questions).

They give a true answer. Then they answer the next question independently of their previous answer and a little sign materializes that says "Congratulations Mortal. You changed the future, without the ability to do this divination would be worthless. I, in a show of great generosity, will answer one additional question, because everybody gets exactly one fuckup when playing with forces that can unmake them."

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm confused by point of this scheme and would like to know more.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mendrian posted:

I'm confused by point of this scheme and would like to know more.

When someone's actually bound to give a yes or no answer, you ask what their answer to the following question will be and then shape the followup to get them to agree to something they otherwise might not. E.g. "will you answer the following question in the affirmative?" They say no, so your question becomes "would you please refrain from smiting my enemies?"

Commune gives plenty of outs in the way it's written to ensure you couldn't just saunter up to any god with a 5th level spell and have their balls in a vise. But there's plenty of room for DM discretion to have a god that is either amused by your audacity or who doesn't view helping you as "contrary to their interests." Or like BlandName's example, just an opportunity to walk away with a good story about how you altered the future and a god nearly murdered you for it.

There's a bunch of outs but Commune takes the form of a pretty common trick, so I figured there might be some people who had good stories about trying to pull a fast one on a god. It'd certainly beat the million or so "we houseruled that natural 20 = automatic success even on skill checks/regardless of DC" stories, which are the only time I see anyone pulling one over on the gods.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 26, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone playing 5e want to help me out? I've written some "Mass Combat" rules based on L5R, and I want people to play it out and see what happens.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JNb31lyJZUCblM4D6nwxm130wSbkyP5hr8YIhRJM_Io/edit?usp=sharing

Some concerns:

The math might be swingy, where the more prolonged a fight is, the more likely the PC's are to win.
The Math might be deadly, most PC's won't survive pass 5 or 6 battle turns (I hope this balances out with the prolonged fight problem.)

Duels might bog the game down.

The system favors "Strikers" over anyone else.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Thanks for the kind words (and words of advice) you guys.

AlphaDog posted:

When you "sacrifice" a spell slot, does that mean that instead of having that slot to memorise a spell in, the slot is used to power the golem? Like, if you sacrifice a 4th level slot, you can memorise one fewer 4th level spell while your golem is active?
That's the idea, yeah. Kinda like how Animate Dead requires you to expend a 3rd level slot daily to keep your skeletons under your control. So long as you've got a golem active, that's one less spell you can cast per day.

quote:

e: As usual with minions and followers, I'd say that it's better if you conceptually treat the caster with golem as "a character" rather than give the golem its own initiative etc, but that seems to run counter to the vibe you've got going on.
At our table we typically resolve this issue by giving "Pets" their own turns when rolling initiative, but any given character's pets all go on the same turn.

Blank Construct posted:

Oh also, you may wish to have a restriction on the number of golems that can be active at one time to avoid army-of-skeletons-style problems.
This had occured to me as a potential exploit, though I might hold off to see how the player behaves with a single golem before muddling the issue with further complications. I've already decided golems can't really wield weapons though, which at least prevents archer cheese (as much as I loved archer cheese myself while playing my otherwise magically-inept necromancer).

The idea is he's uncovering a fairly old process by reading about it in a book, so it wouldn't be out of nowhere for gaps in his knowledge to manifest as unexpected restrictions or drawbacks later on should he try to abuse it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

That's the idea, yeah. Kinda like how Animate Dead requires you to expend a 3rd level slot daily to keep your skeletons under your control. So long as you've got a golem active, that's one less spell you can cast per day.

What about if the golem required a <max castable level> spell slot be given up to do anything useful, but you could put it into power-saver mode with a 1st level slot and then all it could do was follow you around? You can only depower/repower when you take along rest.

That would let you keep the golem going forever, let the golem scale up with the caster level, but also give a little flexibility.

Would also let the caster keep the same golem, and lots of players enjoy that sort of thing more than disposable stuff. They can upgrade it, customise it, graffiti it, carve victory marks on its granite biceps, whatever. I know my group would find that cooler, but they're forever describing how they pimped out a wagon or got custom caparisons for their horses (who all have names and personalities) or whatever else.

Bad Seafood posted:

The idea is he's uncovering a fairly old process by reading about it in a book, so it wouldn't be out of nowhere for gaps in his knowledge to manifest as unexpected restrictions or drawbacks later on should he try to abuse it.

This is great, always good to have an in-universe thing ready for "actually, this is breaking things, we're gonna stop doing it / change the way it works / introduce "unexpected" drawbacks / etc".

Bad Seafood posted:

At our table we typically resolve this issue by giving "Pets" their own turns when rolling initiative, but any given character's pets all go on the same turn.

I prefer pets, minions, etc to work as abilities that the PCs use rather than discrete statblocks of their own, but if you want to keep it in line with the rest of 5th ed then your way's the way to go.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 26, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There actually already is some golem making rules in the DMG. As Golem Manuals are a magic item.

Though yours rules work well for making smaller types of golems. Rather then the Monster Manual Version. (They are also really really expensive and time consuming to make.)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there any function or magic jar type shenanigan that would allow one to build themselves a golem body and make use of it?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So, anyone have any experience with the Revised ranger in actual play, and how good/balanced it is in comparison to other classes? Both utility, damage per round, and I dunno, any other places it would shine or suffer.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The DM for the Adventurer's League table I play at is wrapping up the Storm King's Thunder hardcover and wants someone to switch out with him. I like DMing, so I think I might take him up on that, but he'd want me to run another hardcover. Strahd is out because nobody wants to be stuck in Barovia, so which of the first three should I choose? I recall that the thread hated at least one of them, but I can't find which it was.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hoard of the Dragon Queen was really rough because it was written before the main rules were really finalized.

Lost Mine of Phandelver is okay, but I assume you're too high level for that already unless you're starting over.

Rise of Tiamat I don't know if it suffers the same fate as HOTDQ.

Your best bet is probably Princes of the Apocalypse.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

KittyEmpress posted:

So, anyone have any experience with the Revised ranger in actual play, and how good/balanced it is in comparison to other classes? Both utility, damage per round, and I dunno, any other places it would shine or suffer.

I'm playing one in Storm King. I've got a Beastmaster built with a two-weapon fighting with a Wolf companion. That specs to four attacks per round at 6th level, two of my own attacks, one as the Wolf's reaction, and on on the Wolf's turn. With the Wolf getting Prof bonus to damage and me getting the Favored Enemy against Humanoids and Giants, I'm laying out a ton of damage every round. The fact that I'm a melee build as well gives the Wolf the Pack Tactics advantage nearly every round, and at least once per fight someone blows the STR save and goes prone so that the Ranger gets advantage as well.

On the other hand, against Giants in particular the lack of much in the way of defense means that the Wolf gets squished into unconsciousness in most fights, though our Bard and Cleric are pretty on the ball about getting her back on all four feet.

In short, as long as everything's working between Favored Enemy, Hunter's Mark, and keeping your companion standing, you're probably doing as much damage or more than most other melee characters save perhaps a Paladin in full burst smite mode. The problem is that half of your attacks per round can go away if your relatively fragile Wolf does, which isn't a problem that most melee builds have.

Utility wise, the new "Ranger Radar" is pretty powerful, and you've got upgraded versions of the wilderness stuff to keep you useful as well. I kinda wish there were some Battlemaster/4E style maneuvers to do besides "Attack" but that's more a complaint with 5E in general than the Ranger in particular.

Overall, though in general I'd prefer to play a spellcaster...I mean, okay yes, a Ranger technically has spells, but aside from Hunter's Mark you aren't usually casting anything most fights....if you're going to play a non-primary caster, the new Ranger is a very effective way to do it.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Sexual attraction in this context is not a part of my programming
Don't know if you guys remember me posting my character Gragnark

but got my commission finished of him being a wartorn veteran!

He lost his arm in a fight vs the Lich King at the end of an Arc my players were in.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

KittyEmpress posted:

Our group has one, and it seems to help quite a bit compared to the normal BM ranger. The only problem I've noticed is that due to the fact that their "extra attack" feature is attached to a thing with its own initiative, it's a lot easier to waste/not get your extra attack because your beast killed its target or hasn't gone yet or what have you.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there any function or magic jar type shenanigan that would allow one to build themselves a golem body and make use of it?

I've been wanting to play a brain in a jar in a golem character for a super long time. (krang)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pruney posted:

Don't know if you guys remember me posting my character Gragnark

but got my commission finished of him being a wartorn veteran!

He lost his arm in a fight vs the Lich King at the end of an Arc my players were in.

Pretty sweet looking.