Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I remember there being people several months ago hoping that Perez would be picked as Hillary's vp.

https://twitter.com/EricKleefeld/status/835574637710954498

My, how the times change.

Quorum posted:

He's committed to working closely with Ellison, and has quite a lot of experience reforming broken institutions, having essentially rebuilt key sections of the Department of Labor from pointless appendages into powerful forces for aiding American workers. What matters now is what they actually do now they're both in.

And, of course, some have already made up their minds that it will all be counterproductive corporate shillery. Those people will change their minds, or not, based upon the policy changes coming down the pipe. My only hope is that efforts to reform the party from the local level up don't cease because some people get the idea that it's all pointless, when in fact this is the perfect illustration that it's not; only a few delegates changed would have changed the outcome, and that's exactly what installing new local, then state, then national party committee officials does.

I can't emphasize how much I agree with this post enough. The last thing decent American politics needs is for people to feel apathetic against trump because of Perez. If the Democratic voters and representatives want change, they should work to realize it, not take their toys and go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Quorum posted:

Counterpoint: you cannot simultaneously hold the view that not voting for democrats so that they lose to republicans makes them chase your vote and become more liberal, and also the view that Perez is a corporate stooge who won't do any progressive reforms

why?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

The Bernie wing obsesses about the DNC and their goings on like nobody ever has before. I'm extremely hesitant to brush this off as minor news

I'm saying that if the Bernie wing stays home in 2018, it won't be over some symbolic loss over the DNC but instead the failure of the left to organize and the Party failing to capitalize on that organization.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Epic High Five posted:

The Bernie wing obsesses about the DNC and their goings on like nobody ever has before. I'm extremely hesitant to brush this off as minor news

Yeah, Perez himself absolutely 100% needs to be seen reaching out to Team Bernie. More than he already has even.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Quorum posted:

He's committed to working closely with Ellison, and has quite a lot of experience reforming broken institutions, having essentially rebuilt key sections of the Department of Labor from pointless appendages into powerful forces for aiding American workers. What matters now is what they actually do now they're both in.

And, of course, some have already made up their minds that it will all be counterproductive corporate shillery. Those people will change their minds, or not, based upon the policy changes coming down the pipe. My only hope is that efforts to reform the party from the local level up don't cease because some people get the idea that it's all pointless, when in fact this is the perfect illustration that it's not; only a few delegates changed would have changed the outcome, and that's exactly what installing new local, then state, then national party committee officials does.

He has no experience that makes him qualified to run the DNC. Period.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah, Perez himself absolutely 100% needs to be seen reaching out to Team Bernie. More than he already has even.

The party has a better chance of dying at this point.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm saying that if the Bernie wing stays home in 2018, it won't be over some symbolic loss over the DNC but instead the failure of the left to organize and the Party failing to capitalize on that organization.

the DNC loss is part of that. sure, i'll vote for dems if they turn things around, but nothing they've done since the election hints that they're even close to trying to capitalize on leftist support (other than, you know, demanding our votes and loyalty)

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The deputy chair position is a new position as far as I can tell. Maybe wait a week or so before you call it out as symboli

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna be pretty funny when the Dems run whatever hillary clone they can in 2020 and lose to DJT again. Learning from mistakes is for losers, let's double down on this poo poo!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I hope to see something like an initiative to have a democrat candidate for every state level election in every state of country. If they want to take corporate money they need to at least use it in a way that is meaningful. It's like Wayne Gretzky says, you miss all the shots you don't take.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lord Lambeth posted:

The deputy chair position is a new position as far as I can tell. Maybe wait a week or so before you call it out as symboli

how many more made up positions are we gonna get as concessions?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol WikiLeaks already going hard against Perez

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do Democrats really think merely being the "anti-Trump" vote is enough to get more seats in the Senate, House, and the WH in 2020? That's the vibe I'm getting.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lord Lambeth posted:

The deputy chair position is a new position as far as I can tell. Maybe wait a week or so before you call it out as symbolic?

Why? :v:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Condiv posted:

the DNC loss is part of that. sure, i'll vote for dems if they turn things around, but nothing they've done since the election hints that they're even close to trying to capitalize on leftist support (other than, you know, demanding our votes and loyalty)

I asked this before but do you genuinely believe that not voting for democrats causes them to become more leftist, and if so, how do you square that with also believing that democrats losing caused the election as chair of a man whom you characterize as sixteen gallons of corporate slime poured into a man-shaped mold?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cool, I'm glad we're right back to going "Well, my choice didn't get in, so gently caress everyone and everything, I am staying home" comments.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

You just know they had something lined up for all 2.5 plausible options.

Heck, maybe now that Ellison is a neoliberal hack at Perez's side they'll run their Ellison hit pieces anyway!

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Why is Perez such a terrible pick and why was Ellison the Democrat's Jesus?

This is a honest question based on the reaction in this thread so far.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Cool, I'm glad we're right back to going "Well, my choice didn't get in, so gently caress everyone and everything, I am staying home" comments.

You see, people who supported Obama will support Hillary unequivocally and make sure she gets elected no matter what

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Confounding Factor posted:

Do Democrats really think merely being the "anti-Trump" vote is enough to get more seats in the Senate, House, and the WH in 2020? That's the vibe I'm getting.

Look at these Trump approval ratings! We're a lock!

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

ImpAtom posted:

My greatest fantasy right now is to discover an obscure law that states that if his most vocal supporters are murdered, Bernie Sanders immediately becomes president.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Sanders's endorsement.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Fortunately, last election polls showed (and the people making those comments in this thread assure us) that Bernie-or-Busters turned out at high levels to hold their nose and vote for Clinton, despite having previously made comments such as "because Bernie had the primary rigged against him, the Democrats are irredeemably corrupt and I will not vote for them until they reform." Perhaps they're really serious this time, though? :shrug:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You just know they had something lined up for all 2.5 plausible options.

Heck, maybe now that Ellison is a neoliberal hack at Perez's side they'll run their Ellison hit pieces anyway!

I doubt it, WikiLeaks is run at all levels now by the KSB and they're savvy. They'll boost Ellison if anything.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Bernie endorsed Ellison.

That's it.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Quorum posted:

I asked this before but do you genuinely believe that not voting for democrats causes them to become more leftist, and if so, how do you square that with also believing that democrats losing caused the election as chair of a man whom you characterize as sixteen gallons of corporate slime poured into a man-shaped mold?

they're convinced they didn't lose. also yes, if we want the party to move leftwards we have to stop rewarding lovely centrists with our votes.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

It's a Hillary-Bernie proxy fight for morons.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Because maybe tom perez and keith ellison will work together in order to make a more unified democratic party?

I don't think this is any less plausible hypothetical then "trump's gonna win in 2020 because the democrats chose perez!"

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Bernie endorsed Ellison.

That's it.

Personally it was the schumer endorsement that swayed me

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It is literally, no joke, "we wanted our guy to win and not the other guy who is also fine." It's the saddest thing to cause people to take their ball and go home that pretty much shows how absurd some people are

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

You see, people who supported Obama will support Hillary unequivocally and make sure she gets elected no matter what

That has nothing to do with your tepid whining.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

ImpAtom posted:

leftists choices never get in. why shouldn't we gently caress off?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Condiv posted:

they're convinced they didn't lose. also yes, if we want the party to move leftwards we have to stop rewarding lovely centrists with our votes.

Ah, so your argument is that the Democrats have to lose harder. In which elections do you feel that this needs to happen?

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Epic High Five posted:

Just going through those emails:

"Still, I know a bunch of folks who are excited about him and see him as a potential pick that could sort of soothe the Warren wing types." - someone about Perez

"I also look forward to my appearance on Telemundo tomorrow where I can trumpet her strong support among Latinos and put a fork once and for all in the false narrative about Bernie and Latinos. Congrats" - Perez

"In my HRC advocacy, I now say how these people dont have the time to wait for Senator Sanders to complete his quest for the perfect health care system, or the perfect immigration reform bill; it gets alot of good nods, especially when I talk about Kennedy McCain immigration and how Bernie opposed this, and immigrants are still suffering the consequences of inaction" - Perez

"Emmy and the team have a good plan to attract all minority voters. When we do well there, then the narrative changes from Bernie kicks rear end among young voters to Bernie does well only among young white liberals-- that is a different story and a perfect lead in to South Carolina, where once again, we can work to attract young voters of color" - Perez

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Quorum posted:

Ah, so your argument is that the Democrats have to lose harder. In which elections do you feel that this needs to happen?

they're gonna lose harder in 2018, so then I guess. i mean, after 2018 we have republicans being able to call a constitutional convention on their own and then dems are extinct anyway.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

On the plus side, Progressive Party is gonna be cool as heck

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Condiv posted:

Yeah, it doesn't work that way. Not 'rewarding' the party with your vote when the opposition is unified and willing to compromise to get their guy in just means you lose and will continue to lose and rather than minimal progress you get the current status quo.

Condiv posted:

leftists choices never get in. why shouldn't we gently caress off?

... have you looked at the news for the past two months?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

No im sure this invertebrate cocksucker has alot of fresh ideas for the party

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

That has nothing to do with your tepid whining.

The HRC Clinton disaster is here to stay in the Democratic Party.

You guys won’t win poo poo in 2018 and 2020. Thanks for enabling a fascist.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, it doesn't work that way. Not 'rewarding' the party with your vote when the opposition is unified and willing to compromise to get their guy in just means you lose and will continue to lose and rather than minimal progress you get the current status quo.

well that's what we're getting anyway so i guess it doesn't matter if I vote or not then huh? too bad the dems are wholly unwilling to compromise unlike the republicans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Chelb posted:

If the Democratic voters and representatives want change, they should work to realize it, not take their toys and go home.

You're such a loving rear end

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread