Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, no game is actually untranslatable, but there's huuuge issues of feasibility, especially when it comes to the Vita.

I'm sure that one Lost Planet spinoff/sequel where all the text is hardcoded could be translated but there's no way it would ever be profitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

You can but you have to into the ps+ settings for each game and enable it to upload individually, there's no global 'upload all save games' option.
Is it possible to do this without being a PS+ member? I tried doing it via a PC but apparently you can just copy games/pictures/music. I don't want to have to pay a monthly $ just to back up saves, that would be silly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anything can be translated. Translating something cost-effectively is a bigger question and translating it well is a bigger question.

On an unrelated note: lol at "changing the character's age changes the character" thing. Unless a character's plot explicitly revolves around their age most character ages are basically nonsense and rarely actually significantly contribute to a character's plot. And plots that revolve around age tend to involve young kids (which are never actually 'censored' unless you're horrible enough to bring them into sexualized plots) or like 'we're in high school' which again is rarely censored and almost entirely because of extreme sexualization.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, to be fair, I kind of agree with the guy in the sense of 'if your game is entirely about dumb fanservice and you have to censor that dumb fanservice, why even bother releasing it?'

And it's not like randomly changing character ages hasn't gotten weird sometimes. Like in FE7, where the US localization both aged up Lyn and added a fanservice boob jiggle animation for her, which is the weirdest bit of localization 'censorship' I've ever seen. Or Rorona, where they aged Rorona up by a few years and therefore made the sequels totally inconsistent and make no sense wrt to the recurring characters' ages.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Endorph posted:

I mean, to be fair, I kind of agree with the guy in the sense of 'if your game is entirely about dumb fanservice and you have to censor that dumb fanservice, why even bother releasing it?'
Senran is full of dumb fanservice and the only thing they had to censor was omitting the ages. Thoughts on that?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RanKizama posted:

Senran is full of dumb fanservice and the only thing they had to censor was omitting the ages. Thoughts on that?

Why do you still post

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

kirbysuperstar posted:

Why do you still post
Someone has to provide balance to the force.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RanKizama posted:

this is a good answer

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

it just so happens all the potential shapes and forms are silhouettes of young girls.

Purely coincidental, I`m sure.

RanKizama posted:

That`s pretty funny :)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

RanKizama posted:

The force was only balanced when the dark side was defeated.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

Is it possible to do this without being a PS+ member? I tried doing it via a PC but apparently you can just copy games/pictures/music. I don't want to have to pay a monthly $ just to back up saves, that would be silly.

Nope, if you back up the entire game to PC that includes the saves, but if you want to keep a current version or whatever you'll have to do it every time. It's another dumb decision done because Sony were so scared of how quickly the PSP was cracked and cloud saves were a top selling point of Plus before the PS4 required it for online games.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 25, 2017

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Yeah it's not necessarily that it would be "impossible" to translate Net High but more like it would require nearly a complete rewrite and probably more programming resources than you'd throw at a game that will not sell much at all

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

Nope, if you back up the entire game to PC that includes the saves, but if you want to keep a current version or whatever you'll have to do it every time. It's another dumb decision done because Sony were so scared of how quickly the PSP was cracked and cloud saves were a top selling point of Plus before the PS4 required it for online games.
If the full copy to the PC includes the saves that is OK, but it definitely was not clear that it was doing so. With how rare it is that I replay Vita games I don't mind for now doing a full copy over again when needed.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Couple of trailers

Stranger of Sword City Revisited

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ4KI3fIJXE

Revisited comes out next Tuesday and will have a special introductory price of $24.99 until March 6th, when it will then bump up to $29.99. There's also going to be an eight hour-long demo that will let you transfer your progress into the full game. I bought the original Stranger back in the Summer and never got around to playing it, but I kind of want to try Revisited but will feel like a complete tool if I buy the revision without even touching the original.

Death Mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nwx-mCYWcw

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

The force was only balanced when the dark side was defeated.

george lucas is such a hack

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RanKizama posted:

didnt one of the senran localizers make a point of not omitting the ages? im pretty sure you can go to the bio screens and see (15) right next to mirai's profile or w/e

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Nah, XSEED omitted their ages as well.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Endorph posted:

didnt one of the senran localizers make a point of not omitting the ages? im pretty sure you can go to the bio screens and see (15) right next to mirai's profile or w/e
Tom didn't want to omit them originally IIRC. But yes, XSEED did remove them entirely rather than change them. It's a lot easier to appease diehard fans with an omission rather than outright changing something when it comes to something like this. It's not like it's a major gameplay or story element so I don't think many people actually care. That and I'm sure the decision saved them a lot of potential backlash.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 25, 2017

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RanKizama posted:

It's not like it's a major gameplay or story element so I don't think many people actually care. That and I'm sure the decision saved them a lot of potential backlash.

I wish many people didn't care.

Also, yeah, the backlash would've been "you can't sell your game in Europe at all."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That reminds me I never did work out why MeiQ Labyrinth got refused certification in Australia, there was nothing in it worse than your average Vita dungeon crawler, from what I played.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RanKizama posted:

Tom didn't want to omit them originally IIRC. But yes, XSEED did remove them entirely rather than change them. It's a lot easier to appease diehard fans with an omission rather than outright changing something when it comes to something like this. It's not like it's a major gameplay or story element so I don't think many people actually care. That and I'm sure the decision saved them a lot of potential backlash.

If it isn't a major gameplay or story element why do people care if they are changed unless the explicit reason is because they find it arousing they are underage?

Like this is the big key creepy thing about this. If you're okay with omission just as long as you KNOW they're 16 but are seriously bothered if someone hastily scrawls an extra line in crayon to turn 16 to 18 then apparently the big key thing you care about is that the character is underage even is nothing else changes. That's really weird and uncomfortable.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 25, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Trying to figure out how boners work is always weird and uncomfortable. Omitting the age is the right move because it sidesteps the issue besides some minor grumbling. Changing the ages just gets a bunch of vitriol thrown up and invites the Eye of Sauron to gaze upon the media in question and you end up with DoA Extreme 3 again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

If it isn't a major gameplay or story element why do people care if they are changed unless the explicit reason is because they find it arousing they are underage?

Like this is the big key creepy thing about this. If you're okay with omission just as long as you KNOW they're 16 but are seriously bothered if someone hastily scrawls an extra line in crayon to turn 16 to 18 then apparently the big key thing you care about is that the character is underage even is nothing else changes. That's really weird and uncomfortable.
i mean im not rankizama here and i dont really care if it doesn't affect anything but sometimes translators do it when the game isn't really fanservicey enough to justify changing it (like fe7 or atelier) or when it contradicts the series timeline or messes up future games or whatever. Like in FE7, they changed Lyn's age at the start of the game to 18, but then still had characters in the main game, two years later, call her 18. And there was no issue leaving her at 16 because her outfit is very mildly skimpy but it isn't a senran kagura thing or anything, so it's just a bad call.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

ImpAtom posted:

I'm with you, but people are adamantly against changing pretty much anything in a game during localization. #BurnTheTreehouse was a thing because of how Nintendo Treehouse handled a lot of their "censorship" in releases. People lost their goddamn minds over these things no matter how big or small. When it comes to things like character ages it usually boils down to changing them to make them older and piss off fans, leave them alone and brave the backlash of society screaming at them about underaged fanservice, or do what XSEED did and just kind of put a piece a tape over the number and shrug. Does it make the people buying the game for these reasons any less or more creepy? Absolutely not, but it's these little technicalities that can play a huge role in how a title is received and that's unfortunate.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

#burnthetreehouse was not a thing outside of whatever weird twitter circle you run in

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

#burnthetreehouse was not a thing outside of whatever weird twitter circle you run in

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Super No Vacancy posted:

Oh? Well, good then. I just remember seeing it all over the drat place when Fire Emblem was going through the ringer. If it escalated or died out after that then I wouldn't know.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

That reminds me I never did work out why MeiQ Labyrinth got refused certification in Australia, there was nothing in it worse than your average Vita dungeon crawler, from what I played.

Classification Board posted:

The fifth main character, Connie, is depicted as child-like in comparison. She is flat-chested, under-developed physically (such as the hips), is significantly shorter than the other characters and wears her hair in pigtails. She also has a child-like voice, wears colourful child-like clothing and appears naive in her outlook on life. She is also referred to as a "girl" by the other main characters. In the Board's opinion, the character of Connie depicts a person who is, or appears to be, a child under 18.
The game features use of the Playstation Vita's touchscreen feature, that allows the player to touch or run their finger across the touchscreen in order to make any female character's breasts move in response. The chest area of Connie is viewed moving slightly when this occurs, which is significantly different from the greater movement viewed when one of the four adult-like female characters is touched.
Within the character menu, the player can also touch the head, hips and legs of a character and a voice clip plays in reaction. When the player touches Connie in this mode it prompts verbal responses from her - either, "So flat. Super-flat.", "Smooth", "Just a little squishy" or two variations of a perturbed "Woah" sound. The application accompanying the game states there is a reaction to either the breasts, head, hips or legs of a character being touched. The touch response to each is indeterminate, as the gameplay footage does not indicate which area of the body is being touched when a response is heard.

RanKizama posted:

#BurnTheTreehouse

lmao

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guess I didn't get that far

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Super No Vacancy posted:

Apparently #TorrentialDownpour is the new rallying cry against Treehouse?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

RanKizama posted:

the first name was better tbh

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

RanKizama posted:

I'm waiting for #YuckyGirlsKeepOut

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Video game twitter seems bad

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Help Im Alive posted:

Video game twitter seems bad
Video games are bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

#banrankizama

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RanKizama posted:

I'm with you, but people are adamantly against changing pretty much anything in a game during localization. #BurnTheTreehouse was a thing because of how Nintendo Treehouse handled a lot of their "censorship" in releases. People lost their goddamn minds over these things no matter how big or small. When it comes to things like character ages it usually boils down to changing them to make them older and piss off fans, leave them alone and brave the backlash of society screaming at them about underaged fanservice, or do what XSEED did and just kind of put a piece a tape over the number and shrug. Does it make the people buying the game for these reasons any less or more creepy? Absolutely not, but it's these little technicalities that can play a huge role in how a title is received and that's unfortunate.

The people who scream about censorship are not actually meaningfully impactful to any game. Like I'm pretty sure even Criminal Girls didn't sell any worse for its censorship and that is a game where the censored material is the actual selling point of the game. They are loud but that's about it.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

ImpAtom posted:

The people who scream about censorship are not actually meaningfully impactful to any game. Like I'm pretty sure even Criminal Girls didn't sell any worse for its censorship and that is a game where the censored material is the actual selling point of the game. They are loud but that's about it.
Didn't you guys say that the censorship they added to that game actually made it even more uncomfortable than the uncensored version? I remember the noise surrounding the game a while back but not much else.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

#banrankizama

A hashtag everyone can get behind.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tfw when you get a new rallying hashtag against a niche translation team so you can bravely stand against society's backlash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

People will hashtag what they had for breakfast, it's virtually meaningless anymore unless the tag tops the scoreboard