Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
At $325 you're foolish if you don't go for the 9mm shield. Are you going to carry a spare mag? If so, get a couple of these and you'll have another 4 rounds: https://hyvetechnologiesbuilder.com/index.php/product/shield-9mm-2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I'm going to throw out my oddball tiny CCW gun as a suggestion (not my photo):

SIG P290RS. Probably the smallest good quality 9mm micro gun out there (Dimensionally it's almost the same as a Kahr PM9). It's a little different though, the trigger is very long and heavy similar to a DAO revolver. One of the benefits though is that it has an extended magazine that gives it the grip length of a Shield. I think I paid $380 with three magazines and factory night sights.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
As a Glock man :toot: I'd like to say the Ruger LC9s is pretty sweet. That is all.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Untagged posted:

As a Glock man :toot: I'd like to say the Ruger LC9s is pretty sweet. That is all.

Ruger's LC series seems to be them saying "For fucks sake do not buy a goddamed Kel Tec, we'll sell you a good gun for like $10 more"

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

my kinda ape posted:

Welp, just bought 500 rounds of .308 for 32 cents a round.

And it arrived this.morning! Well packaged and intact via UPS.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
make sure your gat will play nice with steel cased ammo

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

make sure your gat will play nice with steel cased ammo

It's a PRT-91 GI so allegedly it can fire almost anything vaguely 308 win shaped.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I don't know if I'd consider the violent action of a G3 pattern gun to be playing nice :v:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Speaking of HK clones, I want one of these real bad to SBR: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-pistols/zenith-z-5p-9mm-pistol-detail.html?Itemid=0

Although I don't know how they can justify $1700 for one. It would be hard to pay that vs. $600-$700 for a modern CZ Scorpion.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i still wanna get me a cetme with nice wood furniture

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i still wanna get me a cetme with nice wood furniture

The G3 wood furniture is absolutely beautiful but the supply of hand guards is apparently totally dried up so they're super expensive if you can even find one :(

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

DoktorLoken posted:

Speaking of HK clones, I want one of these real bad to SBR: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-pistols/zenith-z-5p-9mm-pistol-detail.html?Itemid=0

Although I don't know how they can justify $1700 for one. It would be hard to pay that vs. $600-$700 for a modern CZ Scorpion.

I have one of these (pics in the box thread I linked a few pages ago) and honestly if it weren't for the mag ban here in CO, I'd prefer a CZ scorpion Evo or a Sig MPX at a fraction of the price. And those two lock open on empty.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
I've been thinking about getting a CZ Scorpion EVO 3 Carbine (folding stock), but at about $1000 it still seems like a lot of $$$. A 9mm rifle sounds fun though. Confirm/Deny?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Booblord Zagats posted:

GF went to the gun store yesterday evening and tried to buy the Ruger LCP after she finally got to fire on set up correctly and liked it. Ended up delayed through NICS, as well as about 20 other people trying to buy that day from that store. Friend I know who went to buy his son a .22 lastnight at Walmart had the same issue. Anyone else having the same issue?
I've heard of this happening every once in a while. It's not a denial, merely "we weren't able to give an immediate 'yes.'" If it's that many people, it could just be a hiccup.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Untagged posted:

I've been thinking about getting a CZ Scorpion EVO 3 Carbine (folding stock), but at about $1000 it still seems like a lot of $$$. A 9mm rifle sounds fun though. Confirm/Deny?

As much as I bitch about my K, it's fun on a bun to shoot. Especially suppressed.

Of course it has almost no practical utility, but then I have that base covered by other guns.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Untagged posted:

Look for it cheaper, they don't have to cost that much. Fiddled with one at a gun shop which did nothing to convince me not to want one. Alternative if you can stand the ugly is a Beretta CX4 if you want handgun mag compatibility, costs a little less too.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
The CX4 is fun as gently caress in 9mm. And Beretta have jumbo 30 round mags that are actually reliable.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

my kinda ape posted:

It's a PRT-91 GI so allegedly it can fire almost anything vaguely 308 win shaped.

I always buy whatever is cheapest off gunbot and I've never had an issue with mine. Still quite accurate as well. I'm gonna be stealing your scope soon. I'm on the prowl for decently priced green furniture but I doubt that will ever happen

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

FastestGunAlive posted:

I always buy whatever is cheapest off gunbot and I've never had an issue with mine. Still quite accurate as well. I'm gonna be stealing your scope soon. I'm on the prowl for decently priced green furniture but I doubt that will ever happen

OD green is really cheap from RobertRTG I think, not sure about tropical. The wide handguard is harder to find but Numrich arms has them in stock for $80. Brownells has them too I think.

edit: Full OD green furniture set for $13 http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/G3-GERMAN-OD-GREEN-SURPLUS-STOCK-SET-25p2135.htm

OD green wide style handguard for $80 https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/985470.htm

Also I just realized the indoor range near my house doesn't allow ammo that attracts a magnet...like the 500 rounds I just bought :negative:

Maybe I can convince them it's ok since it's not actually steel cored?

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 25, 2017

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

my kinda ape posted:

OD green is really cheap from RobertRTG I think, not sure about tropical. The wide handguard is harder to find but Numrich arms has them in stock for $80. Brownells has them too I think.

edit: Full OD green furniture set for $13 http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/G3-GERMAN-OD-GREEN-SURPLUS-STOCK-SET-25p2135.htm

OD green wide style handguard for $80 https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/985470.htm

Also I just realized the indoor range near my house doesn't allow ammo that attracts a magnet...like the 500 rounds I just bought :negative:

If they're not dicks, just pulling the bullet out of the round should be good.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

If they're not dicks, just pulling the bullet out of the round should be good.

It's a state owned range so I'm not particularly hopeful about them being flexible but the people I talked to there did seem very chill so we'll see I guess!

There's not actually any reason that bimetal bullets would be worse for backstops than regular copper fmj right? Like the mild steel jacket isn't going to help it pierce more than copper and the magnet test is just to find steel cored bullets that might actually gently caress up the backstop?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Theoretically? Maybe very slightly under specific circumstances.

Really, it's more about money. If you leave non-brass casings lying around then they can't sell them to the brass recyclers. If you've got something besides lead and copper in your projectiles then it's gonna effect their recycle rates as their purity will drop. Or they have to sort them.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

my kinda ape posted:

It's a state owned range so I'm not particularly hopeful about them being flexible but the people I talked to there did seem very chill so we'll see I guess!

There's not actually any reason that bimetal bullets would be worse for backstops than regular copper fmj right? Like the mild steel jacket isn't going to help it pierce more than copper and the magnet test is just to find steel cored bullets that might actually gently caress up the backstop?

They're bad on indoor ranges because they can actually spark and cause fires pretty easily. Outdoors it doesn't really matter, but on steel it's to keep people from going out with m855 and putting big dings in expensive plates.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Ugh I can't wait until I get full time at this new job. Then it's just nothing but spending money for shooty toys. When I build my next AR I think I'm going to go for eventually doing an SBR and can on it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

The Rat posted:

I have one of these (pics in the box thread I linked a few pages ago) and honestly if it weren't for the mag ban here in CO, I'd prefer a CZ scorpion Evo or a Sig MPX at a fraction of the price. And those two lock open on empty.

Yeah, realistically the best option right now seems to be to grab a Scorpion pistol for like $600-$700 or whatever and file a Form 1, then pop the stock on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyGj1CXZOwg&t=27s

The Magpul stock + Scorpion SMG :fap:

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkunPln3piQ

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 25, 2017

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

my kinda ape posted:

Good looking out thanks

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Naked Bear posted:

I've heard of this happening every once in a while. It's not a denial, merely "we weren't able to give an immediate 'yes.'" If it's that many people, it could just be a hiccup.

Shop guy fat-fingered my app and put in the wrong middle initial, so it flagged. It got approved this morning after he realized his mistake and re-submitted

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I've never owned a revolver, so I've been on the lookout for something fun to take to the range. This morning, on a whim, I picked up a Colt Official Police, in .38 Special.

It's very pretty.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
noice

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

P226 status: out of gun jail tomorrow

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

P226 status: out of gun jail tomorrow

Coworker just bought one Saturday, the Legion model. Showed it off at the office yesterday, seems really sweet

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I just got this one out of gun jail last night after waiting since last May:

Short of any drastic legal changes, this will be my last NFA item.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

What laser module do you have on there? I like the grip switch.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Coworker just bought one Saturday, the Legion model. Showed it off at the office yesterday, seems really sweet

Maybe I'm just a pleb but I don't see the point of the extra 200-300 for the legion stuff unless you want membership in the legion club.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

It's a LAS/TAC 2 IR. Does what I need it to do, nothing fancy.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

What laser module do you have on there? I like the grip switch.

Maybe I'm just a pleb but I don't see the point of the extra 200-300 for the legion stuff unless you want membership in the legion club.

Dude's loaded, between this job, his retirement check and his part time handling massive amounts of money and collateral for a few real estate brokers out here he doesn't want for much

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

Make sure you break your SIG in. It took around 750 rounds for my .40 226R Elite to lock back on an empty mag.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

sky shark posted:

Make sure you break your SIG in. It took around 750 rounds for my .40 226R Elite to lock back on an empty mag.

Isn't that suppose to happen at the end of a guns life?

My .40 226R SS has been flawless since I got it in 2007. Though I've really slowed down shooting it since 2010 due to kids and service.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

I don't know what was wrong with it - either the slide / rail fitment was too tight or the recoil spring was too strong or a combination of both, but it wasn't cycling fully and as a result would not lock to the rear on an empty magazine. Didn't matter what magazine was used, it was consistent across all of them until around 750-760 rounds, at which point it began to lock back regularly.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Would have drove me crazy within the first couple hundred rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That's not terribly uncommon, especially with weapons with tight tolerances. It's basically a manufacturing thing of "well, you can put up with 1000 rounds of slight drawback for a lifetime of good function, or have no problems out of the box and have a major issue down the road".

That being said, I'm sure it's not intentional, but these kind of things can be down to 2 parts being 0.0001” over spec, which cumulatively is enough to go from slip fit to a slight interference fit.

An uncle of mine had a tricked out 1911 and despite being a gorilla of man couldn't rack the slide with the hammer down for the first 500 rounds. Didn't get normalish until well over a thousand.