Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Robotic studio takes fashion photos without a camera crew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLABw4sCQbw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

p much, future technology could potentially eliminate human drudgery but technology we've had for your entire lifetime could factually eliminate human hunger.
It's not eliminated but it probably is way down compared to 50 years ago or whatever.

edit: Percentage-wise it looks way down in the developing world since 1970 -

quote:

Number of undernourished globally
Year 1970 1980 1995 2005 2007/08 2014/16
Percentage in the developing world 37% 28% 20% 16% 17% 13.5%
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malnutrition#Epidemiology

Cicero fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 22, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I wonder how much malnutrition in terms of starvation has been replaced by well, bad food? Is there a way to measure that?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

I wonder how much malnutrition in terms of starvation has been replaced by well, bad food? Is there a way to measure that?

what, like, vitamin A deficiency from eating only white rice vs. literally eating nothing?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 22, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It doesn't count until everyone in Africa has unlimited access to free-range organic avocados

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

there is no 'replacement', they're not comparable; a vitamin A deficiency from eating nothing but white rice is an incredible improvement in every regard over eating nothing

I absolutely agree, I'm just wondering if that kind of thing is measured. I'm not saying that making sure everyone has SOMETHING to eat isn't important and laudable, but I do think throwing brown people scraps and making sure garbage food merchants are able to make money at their expense isn't good enough. We can do a lot better.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sethex posted:

That doesn't work in capitalism.

So does welfare not exist in the fantasy marxoteen world or

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

I absolutely agree, I'm just wondering if that kind of thing is measured. I'm not saying that making sure everyone has SOMETHING to eat isn't important and laudable, but I do think throwing brown people scraps and making sure garbage food merchants are able to make money at their expense isn't good enough. We can do a lot better.

yeah fair enough. malnutrition for the sake of those counts tries to incorporate all those things; there's a big focus on getting people nutritional supplements because outside of emergencies like war or natural disaster a lack of raw calories isn't generally the problem.

Volkerball posted:

So does welfare not exist in the fantasy marxoteen world or

welfare in capitalist economies is workforce maintenance; it is there to keep people mothballed and able to eventually return to productivity in situations where temporary incapacity, unemployment, or life-consuming responsibilities like supporting family would otherwise mean a permanent end to their contribution to capital. the logic of the modern welfare state assumes close to everybody is either productively contributing to the economy, or will be soon, and in order to qualify for it you typically have to fill out a whole bunch of forms to confirm that you do, in fact, fit into that rubric. it's not just free money for the hell of it.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 22, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
‘What If We Try This?’ Asks Robotics Grad Student About To Eliminate 30% Of Workforce

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

welfare in capitalist economies is workforce maintenance; it is there to keep people mothballed and able to eventually return to productivity in situations where temporary incapacity, unemployment, or life-consuming responsibilities like supporting family would otherwise mean a permanent end to their contribution to capital. the logic of the modern welfare state assumes close to everybody is either productively contributing to the economy, or will be soon, and in order to qualify for it you typically have to fill out a whole bunch of forms to confirm that you do, in fact, fit into that rubric. it's not just free money for the hell of it.

That's not true at all. It's about maintaining order and prosperity in a society, if you leave a portion of people in the dust eventually you will have extensive social unrest and possibly revolts. There are many forms of welfare even in the US that are indefinite and not aimed at returning people to the workforce after a rough patch.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I'm surprised no ones talked about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL9Ydk3w_8Q

Say goodbye to a lot of accountants, lawyers, and doctors.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dmitri-9 posted:

I'm surprised no ones talked about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL9Ydk3w_8Q

Say goodbye to a lot of accountants, lawyers, and doctors.

Love the implied "and therefore you're fired" there.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If we really wanted to automate taxes, we'd have the IRS do the calculations first, and then send you a form saying "This is what we think you should get, click here to accept, or do it yourself if you think it's not right."

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Coles and woolies the biggest supermarkets here down under have both been rolling out self checkouts for a few years. Recently they reveled that they are loosing some huge amount of money to theft through them. So naturally they are putting people back behind registers to stop this theft want the police to put cops on in their stores to stop it.

Like gently caress you, you want more security you pay for it. Maybe they could find some robo cops?

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Watson seems like such a well-marketed non-product. Can anyone point to a real application of it that either cut jobs or really increased productivity (moreso than, say, a well implemented database with a decent UI)?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Evil Robot posted:

Watson seems like such a well-marketed non-product. Can anyone point to a real application of it that either cut jobs or really increased productivity (moreso than, say, a well implemented database with a decent UI)?

Im phone posting so can't find a source, but I'm pretty sure Watson has already done some crazy stuff with regard to cancer treatments at some hospital.

If I recall it was being used to read 100s of treatment reports a day and then offer suggestions to a treatment board when it noticed similarities in new cases with old ones.

So not cutting jobs but increasing productivity and efficacy.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The problem with any AI system is false positives. You can make a medical system with the experience of 800 medics and 50.000.000 illness, but it will only be slighly better than a newbie medic with two days of experience, because without context computers are dumb, lack any common sense, make mistakes that a 8 years old would not make.

In problems like "solve this boardgame problem" like chess, that is hard to see or is not present, the context don't exist or is too simple, so a chess program with the experience 800 medics and 50.000.000 games can end winning against a chess master, but in the real world the levels of complexity are a problem several orders of magnitude more complex than a computer can cope for.

Fortunately, we have humans, so a expert system can advice and the human decide on it. What the system can't do is replace the human.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It can replace all their advisers and clerks though.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tei posted:

The problem with any AI system is false positives. You can make a medical system with the experience of 800 medics and 50.000.000 illness, but it will only be slighly better than a newbie medic with two days of experience, because without context computers are dumb, lack any common sense, make mistakes that a 8 years old would not make.

In problems like "solve this boardgame problem" like chess, that is hard to see or is not present, the context don't exist or is too simple, so a chess program with the experience 800 medics and 50.000.000 games can end winning against a chess master, but in the real world the levels of complexity are a problem several orders of magnitude more complex than a computer can cope for.

What are you basing any of this on?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tei posted:

Fortunately, we have humans, so a expert system can advice and the human decide on it. What the system can't do is replace the human.

From what I understand, the reason why deep learning systems are so effective is because they enable the matching and categorization of data in a contextual manner.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If we really wanted to automate taxes, we'd have the IRS do the calculations first, and then send you a form saying "This is what we think you should get, click here to accept, or do it yourself if you think it's not right."

P. sure H&R Block crushes this idea with $1 zillion of lobbying effort every time someone even thinks about bringing it up.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Yeah and the entire tax prep industry lobbies against it

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

SwissCM posted:

From what I understand, the reason why deep learning systems are so effective is because they enable the matching and categorization of data in a contextual manner.

A algorithm don't understand context. They can forge a context but it look something like this "a)Yes, b)No c)Yes d)Yes e)Yes f)Yes e)Yes g)No" where they choose between 256 precreated answers. "a)Yes, b)No c)Yes d)Yes e)Yes f)Yes e)Yes g)No" is a laughable context if you ask a human.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What are you basing any of this on?

I am software developer. Don't trust me. If you think something I say is wrong, probably is wrong, go find your own answer online reading technical articles, the algorithms that uses this type of software, etc. Just avoid take the word of a journalist of a blogger, go read the details themselves.

Tei fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 26, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tei posted:

A algorithm don't understand context. They can forge a context but it look something like this "a)Yes, b)No c)Yes d)Yes e)Yes f)Yes e)Yes g)No" where they choose between 256 precreated answers. "a)Yes, b)No c)Yes d)Yes e)Yes f)Yes e)Yes g)No" is a laughable context if you ask a human.

Yes, clearly the farthest computers have come is being able to manage 8 bits of binary data. The 1990s are gonna be wild though I bet when they get wilson running on an SNES and he can fake context with 32768 yeses and nos.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yes, clearly the farthest computers have come is being able to manage 8 bits of binary data. The 1990s are gonna be wild though I bet when they get wilson running on an SNES and he can fake context with 32768 yeses and nos.

Humans are both good at generalist problems and expert problems. So when you have a expert human he can look at the details of a problem and can also look at the big picture. This helps ignore solutions that seems to make sense when you ignore the context.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tei posted:

Humans are both good at generalist problems and expert problems. So when you have a expert human he can look at the details of a problem and can also look at the big picture. This helps ignore solutions that seems to make sense when you ignore the context.

Unless I was a millionaire going to doctor house who might make up brand new solutions to my medical problems I'd rather have a system that searched a bunch of databases really well and scientifically applied the best available medical studies perfectly than have some guy follow his heart and emotions to pick what pills I need.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Especially since sometimes those emotions include stuff like "black guys don't really feel pain as much and are just drug seeking."

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Tei posted:

You are describing basic algorithmic software which is typically written by a human. This is not how neural networks work. Take image processing for example, if you have a network built to detect fruit, you don't define the attributes of apples and bananas and use detection algorithms like edge finding and blob finders to narrow down the possibilities and classify the results, Instead you simply feed it data, tons of data. Let's say, 500 images each of a variety of fruits. Then, when you feed it a new image of a fruit, it will be able to narrow down the possibilities by using only data it has received as not an array of complex but ultimately dumb algorithms. It works similarly to the human mind, albeit not as sophisticated, requiring significantly larger amounts of data than a human to make a determination.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Taffer posted:

You are describing basic algorithmic software which is typically written by a human. This is not how neural networks work. Take image processing for example, if you have a network built to detect fruit, you don't define the attributes of apples and bananas and use detection algorithms like edge finding and blob finders to narrow down the possibilities and classify the results, Instead you simply feed it data, tons of data. Let's say, 500 images each of a variety of fruits. Then, when you feed it a new image of a fruit, it will be able to narrow down the possibilities by using only data it has received as not an array of complex but ultimately dumb algorithms. It works similarly to the human mind, albeit not as sophisticated, requiring significantly larger amounts of data than a human to make a determination.

Watson specifically isn't neural nets or anything. The whole gimmick of watson is that it's just very strictly traditional database stuff but run at a scale that wasn't possible in the past. So there is no real specific breakthrough to it, or superscience programming magic. It's mostly just the idea of "what if instead of running one algorithm on one database we ran 100 algorithms on 100 databases and had some good functions to combine the results into a single answer" but did that way faster than used to be possible and it turned out that works shockingly well for a lot of domains.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

For the record, this is how most European countries do things.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Unless I was a millionaire going to doctor house who might make up brand new solutions to my medical problems I'd rather have a system that searched a bunch of databases really well and scientifically applied the best available medical studies perfectly than have some guy follow his heart and emotions to pick what pills I need.

Sure. But what's actually happening in the automated version is that a human is using their knowledge and skills to observe your problems, using their judgement to make decisions, and then using their expertise to condense the results of their observations and judgement into something they can enter into what is essentially a specialized search engine.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Guavanaut posted:

Especially since sometimes those emotions include stuff like "black guys don't really feel pain as much and are just drug seeking."

We can teach a computer to think that.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Yeah, one of the fun things about neural networks is they're highly 'impressionable'. Biases like that can sneak into your neural networks quite easily.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Taffer posted:

https://studio.azureml.net/

If you have any MS account it is free.

Play around with it a bit.

They made it trivial to implement.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Dead Reckoning posted:

Now, you could try to revive the murdered corpse of the international labor movement, except 1) that would require accepting the same standard of living for you and yours as people in third world FTZs, you will lose while they gain, 2) the owner class now also owns all the platforms and means of communication that you could realistically use to organize such a thing, and 3) it still doesn't address the long term problem of surplus labor force.

Ah yes, remember that time back in the 1800s, when workers could more easily and more freely communicate with their international class comrades. You know, back when the owners didn't own the platforms and means of communication?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Ratoslov posted:

Yeah, one of the fun things about neural networks is they're highly 'impressionable'. Biases like that can sneak into your neural networks quite easily.
Yes, but it's presumably a lot easier to identify and eliminate biases like that when you're using essentially a single model across thousands of software deployments vs trying to identify and eliminate biases across thousands of individual brains.

Shao821
May 28, 2005

You want SHOCK?! I'll SHOCK you full of SHOCK!

"A computer will never take my job" - Literal human calculators from the 50s who used to do all the arithmetic for nuclear weapons

If you think your job is safe from automation, and your job can be proceduralized in any way, you are wrong.

Here's how it goes. You get a nice job. But you live in the 1st world, so you cost a lot of money. So they get you to develop better and better work instructions until they can offshore that poo poo to a poor country. Then they start investing in capital, because 1st world capitalists don't particularly like having to deal with 3rd world countries, they do it because the people are cheap and exploitable. This capital is called "automation." 1st world people, like you if you are lucky enough to understand it, work on it until the process of building the "automation" has better work instructions, then they offshore that poo poo too, and get a smaller subset of 1st world employees to build a way to automate the process of building the existing automated architectures. And on and on it goes, until all the product is made by capital and a small subset of artisans if necessary. People tend to like poo poo with a bit of a human touch. I could see the capital being located in the 3rd world, but only if the capitalists believe the country is secure enough, which right now is not descriptive of most of these countries.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Main Paineframe posted:

Sure. But what's actually happening in the automated version is that a human is using their knowledge and skills to observe your problems, using their judgement to make decisions, and then using their expertise to condense the results of their observations and judgement into something they can enter into what is essentially a specialized search engine.

Again, maybe you go to doctor house MD and he is using his genius brain to think up brand new diagnosis and then curing them with brand new treatments. But most of real medicine is failable doctors trying to vaguely remember symptoms within the limits of human memory then poorly looking up the symptoms they don't remember then giving treatments based on whatever the research said the last time they looked at the research mixed with how they "feel" about it.

It is very very likely reducing whole sections of medicine to cold hard data is going to be extremely good news for those branches of medicine. Bedside manner is nice too. And feeling like someone cares about you. But if my kid has leukemia maybe I can hire a clown or something to make the kid feel happy then have a cold boring database actually look up every medical study every conducted about leukemia to figure out what treatment has the best success rate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

But most of real medicine is failable doctors trying to vaguely remember symptoms within the limits of human memory then poorly looking up the symptoms they don't remember then giving treatments based on whatever the research said the last time they looked at the research mixed with how they "feel" about it.
I've seen open Wikipedia tabs for names of medicines before at doctors' offices. I think (hope) they were just checking alternative names for poo poo before checking it out in the actual formulary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

I've seen open Wikipedia tabs for names of medicines before at doctors' offices. I think (hope) they were just checking alternative names for poo poo before checking it out in the actual formulary.

Haha they arent.

If it makes you feel worse in America the system they place perscriptions to allows advertising so companies can match your anticpated disease with a doctors office and have their drug pop up as the doctor goes to look for prescriptions. Thats what pills that cost 80,000 for a full treatment buys you.

• Locked thread