Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Licarn posted:

Why didn't Rip use the spear to bring his family back to life before they broke it up?

The Spear doesn't actually work and is just an ordinary shank of wood and metal. Rip's just playing a Light Yagami-esque long con troll on Eobard because he's actually a huge loving dick :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

nine-gear crow posted:

The Spear doesn't actually work and is just an ordinary shank of wood and metal. Rip's just playing a Light Yagami-esque long con troll on Eobard because he's actually a huge loving dick :v:
That would be such an amazing last-second twist.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OB_Juan posted:

That would be such an amazing last-second twist.

And Evil Rip will rub salt in the wound while the Black Flash devours Eobard.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Rhyno posted:

And Evil Rip will rub salt in the wound while the Black Flash devours Eobard.

"You really thought some magic stick could save you? What an idiot."

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
God drat I really hope that's what it is now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zebulon posted:

On one hand yes, loving hilarious but on the other hand Eobard has to find a new way to save himself.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Rhyno posted:

On one hand yes, loving hilarious but on the other hand Eobard has to find a new way to save himself.

Earth-2 Eobard will do nicely.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Zebulon posted:

Don't get too excited, we were all hoping for basically the same thing in S1.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I was joking earlier, but after what I've seen this season in particular, I believe that they could plausibly pull of a "womp womp the Spear was a fake all along" twist. Though Laurel and Snart appearing on the call sheet for the finale makes me doubt that because it seems like Sara and/or Mick will use the Spear to bring them both back to life, either temporarily or permanently.

But who knows :shrug:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It can't be fake because they already mentioned using the spear's power to create Camelot.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
"We're not killers" says Sarah, shortly before killing like 10 soldiers

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Piell posted:

Not to mention how they were incinerating, bombing, air-raiding and stabbing god knows how many mooks last season.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Lord Bude posted:

It can't be fake because they already mentioned using the spear's power to create Camelot.

No they didn't, StarGirl created Camelot by herself.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I was joking earlier, but after what I've seen this season in particular, I believe that they could plausibly pull of a "womp womp the Spear was a fake all along" twist. Though Laurel and Snart appearing on the call sheet for the finale makes me doubt that because it seems like Sara and/or Mick will use the Spear to bring them both back to life, either temporarily or permanently.

But who knows :shrug:

I'd wager everyone grabs the spear all at once and part of the episode is them in their desired world before they wake up and stop it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Piell posted:

To be fair I think either Nate or Ray immediately called her out on it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

howe_sam posted:

Vast armies of tens of men...
Yeah, that really stood out. I feel like there had to be a way to make the battle look better than that.

8one6 posted:

An argument could be made that, as captain of the Waverider it's her duty to make sure history happens.
But wouldn't that mean getting rid of Camelot because it's not supposed to exist?

howe_sam posted:

Also, I know they're idiots, but they really didn't plug any backdoors into Gideon Rip might exploit?
Them not thinking to revoke Rip's access to the computer is just so appropriate. I didn't see it coming, but when it happened I just thought "Oh, of course. They're idiots."

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Tiggum posted:

But wouldn't that mean getting rid of Camelot because it's not supposed to exist?

Well, I know of one way to get rid of camelot.

:heysexy:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Piell posted:

This is pretty much every Arrow episode ever too. One of the latest episodes had Oliver preaching not to kill minutes after he shot down a manned helicopter with an explosive arrow in the middle of a gang fight bloodbath.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tiggum posted:

Them not thinking to revoke Rip's access to the computer is just so appropriate. I didn't see it coming, but when it happened I just thought "Oh, of course. They're idiots."

I like how out of all the people on this show including the people charged with keeping time safe and all of the now-dead Time Masters, Thawne is easily the most competent time traveller in the entire multiverse.

Part of me wants him to get the Spear just because he's the only one I'd trust to use it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's like, yeah, unless I've missed something lately, Thawne's primary motivations for villainy are just 1) write himself back into existence and outwit the Black Flash, and 2) continue to make Barry Allen's life miserable. If I were Team Legends, I'd say that's a major case of "not my problem," all told. Malcolm just wants to be Ra's al Ghul again and maybe not be such a gently caress up dad to Thea(?), again another round of "not my problem, let him have the drat spear then." Now when we get to Dahrk, that's where things go to pot with his whole "I want to nuke everyone I don't like" thing.

That's something you can reasonably classify as "my problem."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The least competent time traveler of course is Barry Allen.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nine-gear crow posted:

It's like, yeah, unless I've missed something lately, Thawne's primary motivations for villainy are just 1) write himself back into existence and outwit the Black Flash, and 2) continue to make Barry Allen's life miserable. If I were Team Legends, I'd say that's a major case of "not my problem," all told. Malcolm just wants to be Ra's al Ghul again and maybe not be such a gently caress up dad to Thea(?), again another round of "not my problem, let him have the drat spear then." Now when we get to Dahrk, that's where things go to pot with his whole "I want to nuke everyone I don't like" thing.

It's extra hilarious because Thawne's entire reason for hating Barry was finding out he was already Barry's arch enemy before he even knew him, and it kind of broke his brain.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FactsAreUseless posted:

The least competent ____________ of course is Barry Allen.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

nine-gear crow posted:

That's something you can reasonably classify as "my problem."
Well I imagine they don't want a sociopathic time traveler running around loving poo poo up, which he would do ten-fold if he got his existence back and didn't have to worry about the Black Flash anymore. And I doubt Sara wants to see the League of Assassins running around again after Nyssa disbanded them for the greater good.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

lotus circle posted:

Well I imagine they don't want a sociopathic time traveler running around loving poo poo up

but enough about Barry

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

lotus circle posted:

Well I imagine they don't want a sociopathic time traveler running around loving poo poo up, which he would do ten-fold if he got his existence back and didn't have to worry about the Black Flash anymore. And I doubt Sara wants to see the League of Assassins running around again after Nyssa disbanded them for the greater good.

Yeah. "Not my problem" ignores the fact that they all purposely took up the task of stopping exactly that sort of thing regardless of whether it was directly their problem or not.

But also there's the whole "butterfly effect" thing with time travel and reality changing. Since the Legion are loving with major historical stuff it affects all of them, and since his target of obsession Barry Allen has either directly affected all of the Legend's lives or is one degree removed from them means they'd probably all get shifted up if Thawne got his way.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I'm guessing Malcolm's primary motivations for using the spear:

1)Revive dead son and wife. Restore familial bonds.
2)Restore position as Ra's al Ghul
3)Destroy the Glades again. Because gently caress you "I'm Ra's al Ghul!"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FELD1 posted:

I'm guessing Malcolm's primary motivations for using the spear:

1)Revive dead son and wife. Restore familial bonds.
2)Restore position as Ra's al Ghul
3)Destroy the Glades again. Because gently caress you "I'm Ra's al Ghul!"

I'd add getting his hand back to that list.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Malcolm's prime motivation is probably just to get out of the low, empty place he was in when Thawne and Darkh found him.

That's a kind of interesting aspect of the Legion. Its not just a maniacal power grab, they're all desperate and acting out of a need to save themselves. Thawne is trying to literally stop from being erased from reality, Darkh is trying to avoid his death, and Malcolm is just looking to change the reality where he's lost everything and everyone he ever gave a poo poo about.

I could actually see Malcolm's ultimate wish being that he just get his family back and never go down the League of Assassins and evil villain route at all. Thawne is driven by his hatred of Barry and Darkh is driven by a power lust, but Malcolm's always just been driven by his grief of losing his wife and twisted ideas of how to make people pay/avoid it happening to others.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm pretty sure half the reason Arrow's been great this year is the lack of Malcolm. It made no narrative sense that Oliver (and then Thea) didn't just kill the bastard twenty times from Sunday.

But he's been great on Legends, largely due to the nice character work they've given him. Plus he gets to chew so much scenery.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I would have loved if they'd taken Rips finger as part of the torture attempts, then got to the bank and found it needed an intact handprint as well as a retina scan. Damien all "...gently caress!"

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I was very disappointed that Merlin didn't turn out to be Malcolm. Great episode though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Oh good, they at least made an attempt to lock Rip out of the computer.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

hell yeah Mick

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I love how managing to barely not die in that time period makes Ray the designated expert. This is going to go to poo poo really quickly.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Just bone already.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

This isn't Inception at all, no sir.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

So in Rip's head the ship is a hot woman? :pervert:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Gideon :stwoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

howe_sam posted:

So in Rip's head the ship is a hot woman? :pervert:

Just learning from a certain Dr. friend of his.

• Locked thread