Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Saros posted:

The few remnants of my Bde are pretty much superflous in their current position, I could reposition them west to speedbump that new french Bde?

if nothing else, get behind me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
BEF? So they are already scraping bottom of the barrel, eh?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Compared to how awful the French actually were in any fight where we were, you know, actually shooting back? They have to be an improvement.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I'm hoping they wander into range of our artillery deathstar on Dejeuner once it's set up and get ignominiously vaporized over a few turns.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
That would be perfect, but I am getting wary of them actually coming along to bolster that lone western brigade with one Div Com, Foppish, Rear-Area, for the use of (alongside another brigade or two).

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEek098QcrU

Turn 18: 1530
French initiative

The 79th somehow manages to fail at changing its orders as TheSandman's lagging company gets some HE right in the face.

A right royal clusterfuck ensues on Dejeuner Ridge; yet more failed attempts to change orders. The 76th doesn't pay it much mind and charges again; while the 78th ends up getting charged!

It's an absolute bloodbath. The 76th's BHQ is suppressed; unless it rallies, it won't be able to try another change of orders next turn! Then the French brigadier and his staff personally account for two of the 78th's companies and leaves the remainder teetering on the edge of a morale check, although first he must make his own...

...and succeeds.

High drama here. The next few turns, anything could happen.

Turn 19: 1600
French initiative

...and it does. The first thing you notice is a French Divisional HQ fleeing north-west, moving from Graisse to Clemenceau. Then the 79th makes that change of orders.

The French retreat towards Graisse as the 76th and 78th both also change their orders. The 76th makes a beeline for Quatrepouts as the 78th begins to form up on the hillside again.

This is actually the first turn in a long time without any firing; uneasy silence is the order of the day.

Turn 20: 1630
French initiative

Your cavalry heads round the back of the Bois de Gooneville.

The 78th tries to form up, but comes under fire from machine-guns cunningly hidden in Graisse!

The 76th pins its ears back and runs for Quatreprouts as fast as their legs can carry them.

The punishing heat dies down a little as the summer sun begins the long, slow process of setting over the battlefield. Night falls, don't forget, at the end of Turn 27.

Turn 21: 1700
German initiative

You have reached Quatreprouts! One company enters the town unopposed and finds it unoccupied! The runner makes it back into cover in the Bois de Bacon!

Now then, calm the celebrations for a moment, and pay attention, 007. Something slightly counter-intuitive happened around Graisse, so let's go through this step-by-step to explain the exact sequence of events. This is what you saw at the end of Turn 20.

Spotting then resets for the new turn. You do not have anyone within 4" of those companies which are in Cover, so what you see at the start of Turn 21 is this:

Since you have initiative, that is also what you see in the Firing Phase. Your machine guns take their turn, and have no targets. We then pass down to the French MG phase, their MGs open fire and are spotted, but your MGs cannot respond since their turn has already passed.

This is one of a few counter-intuitive situations in which the advantage lies with the side that loses initiative. It is not always beneficial to go first! In addition, the only rifle company you had in range was the one that got killed, and so it cannot fire.

The French suppress one of your MGs with their own rifle fire, as the 10cm howitzers arrive. They'll unlimber next turn, but, if nothing changes, unless someone else can get down to spot for them, they'll be in an even worse bind than your MGs - nothing within the town will open fire and reveal itself as a target for them until after they've had their turn! I just want to emphasise here that this is all the rules operating as intended. Towns are fuckers, yo. You benefited when the French tried to attack Saint Croissant; now the army boot is on the other foot.

Oh, and guess what? That one lost company is enough to force the 78th, and its eight howitzer batteries, to make a morale check. This is surely one of the most critical moments of the battle...

...and it passes with the best possible roll! Someone get General Beste von Polieren some brandy, or nalewki, or vodka. He surely needs it.

You have lost 135 companies; the enemy has lost 124.

:siren: Next soft deadline is 5pm GMT, Monday 27 February.

(Now tell me what I forgot.)

edit 1: Confirming that steinrokkan's division now commands the 4th and 5th Brigades.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 25, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hahahaha YESSS

edit: it looks like almost nothing is going to happen in the northEAST--how useful will the 77th remain in that place? the british troops are coming in from the south and we are almost fresh

what about the bde currently in baguette?

edit 2: i'm a dumbass who does not know directions

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 26, 2017

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Go runner go!

Don't worry guys, I hear corporal Adolf is the best we have.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Good lord, gently caress me. My heart was pounding when I thought my big gun support was about to rout. Now, to hope that BEF brigade marching towards Q can be held off.

E: Pulling some of our troops off of the eastern flank might be a good idea, it looks like the French have pretty much given up over there.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HEY GAIL posted:

hahahaha YESSS

edit: it looks like almost nothing is going to happen in the northwest--how useful will the 77th remain in that place? the british troops are coming in from the south and we are almost fresh

what about the bde currently in baguette?

That brigade is switching to me now. I suppose we can now retreat it to the new trenches, and perhaps you will be allowed to move elsewhere. It would make the whole flank rely on Jaguars' guns for defense, but it seems they are not interested in attacking from East. Alternatively Sandman can go on attack / to the southern front instead, he doesn't have guns, but there are plenty already committed down there anyway.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazycryodude posted:

Good lord, gently caress me. My heart was pounding when I thought my big gun support was about to rout. Now, to hope that BEF brigade marching towards Q can be held off.

E: Pulling some of our troops off of the eastern flank might be a good idea, it looks like the French have pretty much given up over there.

i mean, i'm wary of their big guns, but i haven't even been fired on recently

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Send a cable to general von Moltke.

pre:
WE HAVE FOUND GENERAL FRENCH'S CONTEMPTIBLE LITTLE PISS-BRIGADE STOP

PROCEEDING TO EVAPORATE IT WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE STOP

HOLD MEIN BIER STOP

JEDER SCHRITT EIN BRITT FULL STOP
Ensure it is intercepted by the enemy.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Now for real talk.

The French brigades in the east have disappeared. In fact, we have seen them move away to the south. They are bringing all they have for a general offensive on Dejeuner and Q - presumably in that order.

This means we can do the same.

We can try to sneak Hegel out via the trenches onto the low ground so that her troops are not spotted and the French are kept unaware the trenches are now empty, but that would take time.

Or just do full road movement ahead, drat the torpedoes!

That would, however, expose Sandman's position.

Alternatively, we can pull Sandman off the line and send him to bolster the fight for Dej, but he has no artillery...

What do we do, guys?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

So I was just frantically measuring distances and trying to work out if the artillery is gonna start firing on the British before or after I am thoroughly poked full of holes, and I noticed something. Namely, once my guys were off the ridge, they never came within 12 inches of a French unit. In other words, they hopefully haven't actually spotted me taking the town, nor the runner I dispatched. Really, REALLY hoping that's the case, and I can just silently chill until they walk into my MG's or just leave me alone.

E: W/R/T what do we do now, SEND EVERYTHING TO DEJEUNER OH MY GOD I AM PANICKING SO HARD ABOUT BEING OVERRUN

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Well, I'm pretty much set, but I do have one minor change of orders to make if the dice favor me.

:siren:76th Brigade Orders:siren:
Once the brigade is arranged as previously ordered-
IF THE BEF TURNS AND MARCHES ON DEJEUNER RIDGE: Fire at will
IF THE BEF BRIGADE CONTINUES ON TOWARDS QUATREPROUTS: All units waiting in ambush, do not fire on the enemy until they close within 8 inches of the town, and are in rifle range of 3+ infantry companies

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 27, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tevery Best posted:

We can try to sneak Hegel out via the trenches onto the low ground so that her troops are not spotted and the French are kept unaware the trenches are now empty, but that would take time.
how do we hide my guns, tell people each horse is actually an unusually large dog?

edit: Trin, what mechanical effects does nightfall have on the enemy's ability to see me doing things?

edit 2: tie a sprig of leaves to the spike of my helmet, i can be a shrub

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 26, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

^^^ It gets really dark ^^^

The targeting and firing rules may not be changed, except that I will accept "hold your fire until condition X" orders in certain situations. This is one of them.

Arrows are not required if you do not require your brigade to alter its direction of movement; images are not required if you do not wish to specify a formation once they arrive.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I think it might be a good idea for Hegel to relocate south now, to the Fraise-Champs area, while Saros and I fill in those trenches.

Any word on how long it'll take for news of our seizure of Quatrepouts to reach command? That would determine how worried we should be about the French or English making a night attack.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I think it's gonna be about 6 turns before the runner reaches Croissant. Once he's there, as long as we still have a phone line, the win timer should start the same turn. Probably a long timer, though. Err on the side of caution and assume we have to hold the town until the next morning, because I doubt the cavalry's gonna come over the hill at 2 AM. It would be nice if they did, but we should plan as if they won't.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So I woke up this morning with a Good Idea: remember when I said I am scared they could just swing north where we can't see them and cut our phones?

How about we call in a cav brigade and send in a lone uhlan company south with some wire cutters and a prayer to give the French a scare?

EDIT: I just counted that a cavalry unit would need seven turns at full off-road tilt to cut every possible wire the French may use to contact their corps command. That is a significant amount of time - but certainly it is not impossible we hold Q until then.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 26, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Also a heads up:

I will be absent for most of today, so here's what I want you to do:

- get HEY GAL out of the trenches and down towards the fighting, stat,
- get Sandman out of Baguette and somewhere safe to act as reserve,
- suggest what to do about the pickle Perestroika's in,
- present plans for the most effective use of Jaguars!'s cavalry,
- find me two German commanders with attitude for potential deployment.

Trin, if you could provide with a list of currently available reinforcements, that would be appreciated. NOT THAT WE WOULD WANT OR NEED ANY BUT STILL

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tevery Best posted:

yo my internet works now

edit: let me make sure we're on the same page: in your opinion, it's more important that i move quickly and less important that i am stealthy?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 26, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Not gonna be able to add much to the discussion today, though I should have more time tomorrow. Anyhow, current plan is to get those fifteens up ASAP, probably slightly further north than initially intended. Sucks about that MG in the town, but it looks like my dudes will just have to weather that for the time being. Any scouting detachment I send would just get murdered before they get any spotting info back, so I'd rather leave them stationary to get the first shots in against the approaching brits.

Edit: Actually on that note, Cryo, it might be nice if you could include a conditional to shoot them in the flank a lot if the push up Dej instead of heading for Q.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 26, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tevery Best posted:

Trin, if you could provide with a list of currently available reinforcements, that would be appreciated. NOT THAT WE WOULD WANT OR NEED ANY BUT STILL

Inquiries reveal that General Kuno may be able to send you one more regular brigade. It would arrive at about 2030. You would be able to choose infantry, artillery, or cavalry.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The following rules are relevant to night operations.

One hour before total darkness, at 1930, the hill spotting rules will be suspended and spotting will only be possible at a maximum of 12" for any unit that does not fire.

At 2030, all units will spot only at 4" unless opening fire. The rule which does not allow close combat between unspotted units will be suspended; if units bump each other in the night, there will be close combat.

It is significantly harder to get a change of orders through at night, and there is a chance that units will lose their way and not move entirely as intended.

The game will advance at double speed after 2030 in eight-turn updates and halved deadlines where my schedule allows.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Tevery Best posted:

Also a heads up:

I will be absent for most of today, so here's what I want you to do:

- get Sandman out of Baguette and somewhere safe to act as reserve,
- suggest what to do about the pickle Perestroika's in,
- present plans for the most effective use of Jaguars!'s cavalry,
- find me two German commanders with attitude for potential deployment.

Cav wise, I think the best thing to do will be to simply hightail it down to reinforce Cryodude's artillery. They can be within range in four turns so if the BEF attacks they'll arrive in time to hit them before they reorganize.

Edit: WRT to last post, this also opens the way for wirecutting shensnigans tonight:getin:

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 26, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, shoving a bunch of cav down Dej way seems like a good idea. Right now, our one advantage down there lies in fire superiority in terms of arty and MGs. That would be lost come nightfall, and the Brits would be able to overwhelm us piecemeal. So I'd say our best bet would be in containing or outright shattering the BEF right away.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Orders - New 19th Division
SAROS
Fill the short length of trenches extending from the artillery stationed near St. Croissant.

THE SANDMAN
Make yourself at home in the trenches Hey Gail is currently vacating.

That's all, we should hopefully have a quiet little war from now on.

If you can erect wire obstacles, do so, but I think you can't, on account of having no engineers.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Shoving everything down my way so we can hold the ridge long enough/retake the town if I get pried out is what the remainder of the battle should look like. Re: including a conditional to shoot their flank up if they advance on the ridge instead of the town, I'm pretty sure they don't actually know I'm here, and if I don't have to give away my position, I'd rather not. In fact, I'm considering changing my orders to only fire if spotted. Ideally, even if the ridge is completely overrun and we get pushed off and they start rolling up the line, I'm still quietly sitting unspotted in Q so we can win.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Do you think we got into Quatreprouts before they got into their objective up north? Or is that missing brigade up north just tasked to cut our phone lines? So many questions.

:siren: Orders, 43D in descending order of priority

77bde to move west to Bois de Gooneville, then south in battle order to reinforce 78bde's position.

78bde to take up defensive position on Dejeuner outside Franctireur range, getting artillery ready to fire asap.

79bde to keep eyes peeled, buttocks clenched, powder dry etc.

76bde ditto

7Jäg to continue riding, shiny and chrome; secure Gates of Valhalla pending arrival of remaining 43D elements expected shortly

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 26, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

78th Brigade Orders - 1700

Infantry and MGs
If the BEF or another enemy force moves westwards towards either Quatreprouts or the area south of Dejeuner Ridge (see pink line), the formation is to shift around the ridge towards the southwest. If they don't have anything to shoot at, the MGs are to maneuver in such a way that they get a field of fire on the passing enemies for as long as possible. If the enemy comes directly for Dejeuner Ridge, the infantry is to interpose themselves in such a way that the enemy does not have a clear run at the artillery. Under no circumstances should these movements mask the artillery's field of fire.

Artillery
10cms: MAKE. IT. RAIN.

15cms: Move one more turn's worth of movement south, staying on the upper level of the ridge, and then unlimber and go loud. If they already have moved by the time these orders reach them and the enemy is in range (or about to come into range), just unlimber them where they are.

Standing Oders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy, use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, hold position
Break off automatically never - fight to the last man

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 27, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Man, that is one ugly drawing :barf:

79th Brogade orders:

Cav Div:

Move down 'ere and help fight off anyone attacking the guns. They are allowed to move to either side of the guns if it helps them get into contact, but they aren't allowed to block the guns.

Er, Hilly Arse Rot:

The Horse Artillery is to go down to the southwestern corner of fraisechamps and entrench. Retreat towards gooneville then St Croissant if infantry get into rifle range.

Engineers:
Dig trenches from St C to Ferme Confit.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 26, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

HEY GAIL posted:

yo my internet works now

edit: let me make sure we're on the same page: in your opinion, it's more important that i move quickly and less important that i am stealthy?

Haul rear end. I am 99% sure they can't have anything left in the area.

Trin Tragula posted:

Inquiries reveal that General Kuno may be able to send you one more regular brigade. It would arrive at about 2030. You would be able to choose infantry, artillery, or cavalry.

You know what, I'm just going to pass this one over to stein. Want some extra super troopers to command around? Artillery will be obviously useless, and cavarly aside from a gimmick run has probably limited utility (and, well, cutting their phone lines in 14 turns is of very limited utility, but an infantry brigade certainly won't go amiss. Only problem is I'd estimate that by 2030 we will either be shoe-in for winning the battle, or dead. Are we willing to chance that?

Jaguars! posted:

Cav wise, I think the best thing to do will be to simply hightail it down to reinforce Cryodude's artillery. They can be within range in four turns so if the BEF attacks they'll arrive in time to hit them before they reorganize.

Edit: WRT to last post, this also opens the way for wirecutting shensnigans tonight:getin:

I concur. Go forth and murder.

Has this been mailed to the French yet? I think we should mail it to the French. Make sure it is properly signed!

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
We should make sure to put a few guys on the north slope of Dejeuner too, to make sure the French don't sneak that brigade in the northwest up the back of La Oeuf at night right into most of our artillery.

Speaking of which, if we call in another infantry brigade, I'd like to stay in Baguette and have a go at launching a night raid on the French artillery.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
There's still plenty of time for that and right now we need you safeguarding our northern flank. Besides, at night you can launch that raid just as well from the top of the ridge.

EDIT: also, Jaguars! I think your engineers are better employed deploying some wire in front of our existing trenches. Particularly the artillery might be in danger of getting overrun at night, so let's give it some protection.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Sandman posted:

We should make sure to put a few guys on the north slope of Dejeuner too, to make sure the French don't sneak that brigade in the northwest up the back of La Oeuf at night right into most of our artillery.

Speaking of which, if we call in another infantry brigade, I'd like to stay in Baguette and have a go at launching a night raid on the French artillery.

If Tevery calls in a reserve brigade, and agrees, I allow you to stay put (refer to this post in your orders then). If not, follow what has been posted so far.

Right now, however, that isn't planned, so it seems unlikely.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

steinrokkan posted:

If Tevery calls in a reserve brigade, and agrees, I allow you to stay put (refer to this post in your orders then). If not, follow what has been posted so far.

Right now, however, that isn't planned, so it seems unlikely.

If you want me to call one in, I'll call it in.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tevery Best posted:

If you want me to call one in, I'll call it in.

I would be in favor of it, but I wouldn't like to cause our rating to go down if everybody else disagrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

steinrokkan posted:

I would be in favor of it, but I wouldn't like to cause our rating to go down if everybody else disagrees.

Well, if anyone disagrees, speak up now, otherwise we will request another infantry brigade to be attached to the 19th Division.

The Sandman posted:

HEY GAIL posted:

Saros posted:

Please post orders

Will these orders mean your MGs will not move while they can still engage? Because I am somewhat iffy on having them run around right now.

• Locked thread