Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Schnorkles posted:

Everyone in the house is up for election every 2 years Montasque, please learn how the elections work before we get to the hottakes about who's gonna win.

The senate does look bad yes.

I know the house is every two years, I guess using the word "Map" triggered some November 8th pain and you had to lash out.

: EB BALLS & PETE BUTT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Mid term elections are always bad for the democracts. But thats usually up to lack of voter turnout, and with the Trump in power and anger at a high point maybe people will come out.

2006 was a dem wave that rolled its momentum into 2008

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

Yinlock posted:

makes sense, i've noticed that over the shift in names for centerists from "centerists" to "neoliberals" to just "liberals"

calling hillary a neoliberal never really seemed right to me. neoliberalism is laissez faire thatcherite poo poo, not like general centrism or incrementalism.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

just fyi the religious right is more white nationalist but unwilling to admit to it

they use faulty interpretations of jewish laws to hurt non-whites under the guise of god and christ

Well yeah thats fair. The anti-Muslim stuff its pretty clearly based on race more than anything else. There is always overlap between these wings anyway. Prosperity gospel bullshit was obviously concocted to reconcile the business and religious wings while making a few pastors rich. Hell the evangelicals were apolitical until desegregation affected their schools. I still feel like racists are their own faction though. Plenty of people now don't give a gently caress about Christianity but still like police officers shooting black kids and are really concerned about Sharia law suddenly.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Reichstag Correspondents Dinner

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is Mayor Pete's speech online yet?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

kuwait might be paying 60 grand to trump for a big shindig at his new DC hotel

https://twitter.com/AndyGrewal/status/835624615925932032

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whatever happened to mspaint-hmm-emoji

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

data points of infinity to the infinite power, our president is retarded

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

SpaceGoku posted:

2006 was a dem wave that rolled its momentum into 2008

yeah turns out i am dumb as hell
who knew

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
They should invite Obama to sit in Trump's place at the Correspondents Dinner

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

and i must meme posted:

calling hillary a neoliberal never really seemed right to me. neoliberalism is laissez faire thatcherite poo poo, not like general centrism or incrementalism.

Now the Bernouts are calling anyone who doesn't agree with them 100 percent corporate Democrats. Dear god what a bunch of babies. "We didn't get everything we want! Burn it all down!"

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tacodaemon posted:

TRUMP GONNA INSOURCE COAL JOBS

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

dang hes talking to both patriots as well as liberty lovers, hes going for a real four quadrant market

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The religious right came into being in response to christian schools being forced to desegregate to get public funds, then immediately got behind a guy who kicked off his campaign on the graves of a bunch of civil rights workers in the last town to resist the VRA and keep their blacks unrepresented and unregistered to vote

Now they're backing with equal enthusiasm an idolater who hasn't read a single verse in the bible in his life and personifies every single deadly sin

They're just straight up bootlicking authoritarians who want blacks to be a formerly subservient people again.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Schnorkles posted:

Everyone in the house is up for election every 2 years Montasque, please learn how the elections work before we get to the hottakes about who's gonna win.

The senate does look bad yes.

oh snaaaaaaaaaaaap I say debate club-ishly

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Now the Bernouts are calling anyone who doesn't agree with them 100 percent corporate Democrats. Dear god what a bunch of babies. "We didn't get everything we want! Burn it all down!"

buttigieg

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

tacodaemon posted:

https://twitter.com/AndyGrewal/status/835624615925932032

i think there really needs to be a "you can't "decline to comment"" law in the future

like commenting on this is your actual job guys

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

yeah turns out i am dumb as hell
who knew

Your point actually has particular merit right now because of coalition dynamics.

Obama's real problem on top of normal depressed midterm turnout was that his coalition -really- didn't vote in midterms either. Depending on how the trump coalition shakes out, it could actually be a huge problem for him too.

If the coalitions remain stable, Dems will need to work hard in 2018.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Slow Graffiti posted:

I hear Obama's got some free time these days...

Only if he comes in to the Space Jam theme song.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

scientists across the world confirm reports that the very intelligent President Donald Trump has discovered a "new foreverenewable energy source that is a compound of oil, natural gas, CLEAN coal, and nucular isoparticiples" that he dubs "shindig"

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Judging from my social medias, a lot people the left, not just Bernie bros, are hurt by Ellison's loss.

Right or wrong they see it as the 'corporate' wing winning again.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lol @ perez win allowing centrist rats to come out of their poo poo hamlets to gloat before TRUMP takes a poo poo on their ideologically bankrupt party

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

im the none-too-subtle angelic imagery around the head of a man who's anything but and also hawking his tacky poo poo

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Lol @ perez win allowing centrist rats to come out of their poo poo hamlets to gloat before TRUMP takes a poo poo on their ideologically bankrupt party

buttigieg bless, friendo

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

It's more like "anything we want" than "everything" tbf

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
alex jones is good and cool and i want to buy his snake oil just because i like him and what hes doing

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
as I grab the glock put it to your headpiece
one in the chamber the safety is off release straight at your dome homes

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

i'll always remember this bit from the nyt last march, talking about trump badgering romney into accepting trump's endorsement

quote:

On the day he was to deliver the endorsement in Las Vegas, according to Mr. Romney’s advisers, Mr. Trump met with Romney aides and said he hoped to hold a joint news conference with Mr. Romney, raising for the campaign the terrifying possibility that Mr. Romney might end up on camera responding to reporters’ questions next to a man who had spent months questioning whether the president was an American citizen.

In an appeal to Mr. Trump’s vanity, the Romney campaign stressed that his endorsement was so vital — with such potential to ripple in the media — that it would be a mistake to dilute the impact with a question-and-answer session.

“The self-professed genius was just stupid enough to buy our ruse,” said Ryan Williams, a former spokesman for the Romney campaign. While they agreed to hold the event in a Trump hotel, the campaign put up blue curtains around the ballroom when the endorsement took place, so that Mr. Romney did not appear to be standing “in a burlesque house or one of Saddam’s palaces,” Mr. Williams said. On stage, as the cameras captured the moment, Mr. Romney seemed almost bewildered. “There are some things that you just can’t imagine happening in your life,” he told reporters as he took the podium, taking in his surroundings. “This is one of them.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/13/us/politics/donald-trump-campaign.html?_r=0

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

can anybody sum up what's going on with the VRA and what kind of suppression is gonna be implemented in the next few years?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Phi230 posted:

I think we remember the last time bad dems lectured us on technocrat resume, most qualified ever, wet blanket personality and well connected to DC equals actual success in the real world.

Not to mention how bad dems used similar tactics they also used against Bernie, if we elected a muslim to the DNC then it would scare off republican coverts!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Solarin posted:

can anybody sum up what's going on with the VRA and what kind of suppression is gonna be implemented in the next few years?

VRA is dead and gutted, what happened in NC and WI will go nationwide very very soon

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
nice x4

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

They're just straight up bootlicking authoritarians who want blacks to be a formerly subservient people again.

right agreed but I just meant that racists are their own coalition now. The alt right doesn't seem to give a gently caress about jesus and abortion. Still plenty of overlap since they don't like the gays or muslims but I haven't seen much of /pol/ calling for prayer in schools. That last part might just be me trying to avoid /pol/ though

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

VRA is dead and gutted, what happened in NC and WI will go nationwide very very soon

Also republicans are trying to pass laws making protesting illegal or allowing the government to go after the assets of protesters.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Phi230 posted:

where is the gloating

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
After this, I'm no longer a Democrat.

I'm a Jeb!ocrat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

etalian posted:

Also republicans are trying to pass laws making protesting illegal or allowing the government to go after the assets of protesters.

18 states [though they've only passed single houses or just been introduced to my knowledge. Not aware of one actually being law]; 6 or so will die to governor's vetos, but the other 12 will probably need to be fought in court if they go through with it.

• Locked thread