Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

right agreed but I just meant that racists are their own coalition now. The alt right doesn't seem to give a gently caress about jesus and abortion. Still plenty of overlap since they don't like the gays or muslims but I haven't seen much of /pol/ calling for prayer in schools. That last part might just be me trying to avoid /pol/ though

The alt-right is a blank canvas. They happily adopt the concern trolling about satanic rituals and everything when they're told to by their Republican superiors, just like how the religious right yells about how taxation is theft and Jesus will send to hell anybody who votes Democrat

/pol/ will support prayer in schools by saying something like, "Liberals support Muslims and they want prayer in schools and in fact it's mandatory in Somalia, so why not here?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Solarin posted:

can anybody sum up what's going on with the VRA and what kind of suppression is gonna be implemented in the next few years?

preclearance is dead. States can pass whatever lovely laws they want and people have to scramble to fight them in court before the election every time now.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

sex

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

etalian posted:

Also republicans are trying to pass laws making protesting illegal or allowing the government to go after the assets of protesters.

Yep, it's escalating to violence extremely rapidly

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
I think a couple of them have gone down already though. ND's particularly charming version [RUN OVER DEM PROTESTORS!!!! :byodood: ] got shot down by their house.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Epic High Five posted:

VRA is dead and gutted, what happened in NC and WI will go nationwide very very soon

what happened? was it nice? sex number page

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I am 4 69

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

one might even call me pro-69

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
the pleasure number

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Yep, it's escalating to violence extremely rapidly

At least it's a good example on how republicans actually use political victories to execute their ideology in the real world, while bad dems wring their hands over if they have political capital.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MariusLecter posted:

Normal McDonald to host corresponding dinner

Norm likes Trump

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

I think a couple of them have gone down already though. ND's particularly charming version [RUN OVER DEM PROTESTORS!!!! :byodood: ] got shot down by their house.

Its going to get bad if protesters actually start to accomplish things. Its easy to shoot down laws that let you kill people now because running over a bunch of moms is going to make them look super sympathetic. If they start shutting down parts of a real city for more than an afternoon or making cops feel even the first inklings of fear expect a whole bunch of laws that are suddenly needed to shut down violent anarchists.

It won't be pretty

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

realtalk: why does it matter who's DNC chair?

I thought the D/RNC chairs were first and foremost Chief Fundraisers and their jobs didn't extend much farther than that in practice

Having typed that out I'm realizing that maybe the concern goes something like "dude's a corporatist" or whatever; then, "that probably means lots of money coming from big corporations;" and finally, "maybe it'd be cool if the party wasn't effectively bought by corporations???"

Apologies for this pretty d&d post and/or possibly starting this back up again

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Addamere posted:

what happened? was it nice?

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

preclearance is dead. States can pass whatever lovely laws they want and people have to scramble to fight them in court before the election every time now.

Every single GOP pick to the SCOTUS since 1964 has been picked with the understanding that they would kill pre-clearance (section 5) of the VRA if the opportunity ever arose. They won. Roberts made the case that racism was dead and the south was now a happy wonderland and Obama's defense, for some reason, failed to mention the escalating amount of complaints and obvious ploys to suppress minority votes in the recent decades, not that it would have mattered.

Roberts hated the VRA as much as Scalia did, because if he hadn't he wouldn't have been nominated. Dubbya's most shameful unknown legacy is that he purposely appointed partisan incompetents to the agency designed to prosecute cases of vote suppression and thus greased the path to gutting it. Kanye was right.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AP—Houston: Jesus Christ, the Son of God and Immortal Saviour of humanity, was stopped Saturday evening at George Bush International Airport by ICE agents and detained for questioning as a result of his Mexican-sounding name.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

Brother Friendship posted:

You come across a green and verdant field filled with birds and insects of all manner. Dull skies above are obscured only by crimson clouds and a whisper of wind brings soft scents of pollen and morning dew.

An imp appears before you, his belly slick with slime, he bows and says to you:

"The Reaganite wing has been ascendant in the Democrat party since Clinton in 92. The Clinton machine has been fighting the Republican fight for over 30 years now and they let the GOP go loving bat poo poo insane. Unless the Democratic parties fundamentally changes there is going to be chaos in the ranks, perhaps even a replica of the Tea party wars of 2010 and 2012. The establishment Dems have their grip on power, but they'll find it increasingly tenuous. Consider how Bernie is now considered a cemented Democratic figure now. A failure to deliver electoral results or a suppression of grass roots activity will guarantee angst."

The imp polymorphs into a grasshopper and kicks away, soaring high above the flowers before being grasped in the talon of a red feathered bird and consumed for its precious nutrients.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

the pleasure number

420 is the pleasure number. 69 is the sex number. mods?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Trapezound posted:

realtalk: why does it matter who's DNC chair?

I thought the D/RNC chairs were first and foremost Chief Fundraisers and their jobs didn't extend much farther than that in practice

Having typed that out I'm realizing that maybe the concern goes something like "dude's a corporatist" or whatever; then, "that probably means lots of money coming from big corporations;" and finally, "maybe it'd be cool if the party wasn't effectively bought by corporations???"

Apologies for this pretty d&d post and/or possibly starting this back up again

real answer: ellison was endorsed by bernie sanders, dem thread is taking it as a direct attack against progressivism despite ellison being given the deupty chair position in a show of unity

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Nice a sex number page

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

if I truck and then gently caress, I will find my craving :smugmrgw:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Norm likes Trump

Yeah, he's a conservative dude who wonders why people are so sensitive nowadays. Who knows though, maybe he'll surprise.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Yinlock posted:

real answer: ellison was endorsed by bernie sanders, dem thread is taking it as a direct attack against progressivism despite ellison being given the deupty chair position in a show of unity

Dem thread is dumb af.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Schnorkles posted:

18 states [though they've only passed single houses or just been introduced to my knowledge. Not aware of one actually being law]; 6 or so will die to governor's vetos, but the other 12 will probably need to be fought in court if they go through with it.

even the most inbred shitheel state AGs in the nation aren't stupid enough to think that the most inbred shitheel state supreme courts would uphold this poo poo. i'd be surprised if any governors signed these bills

on the other hand lol nothing matters

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Leviathan posted:

even the most inbred shitheel state AGs in the nation aren't stupid enough to think that the most inbred shitheel state supreme courts would uphold this poo poo. i'd be surprised if any governors signed these bills

inbred shitheel states have inbred shitheel judges though

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Leviathan posted:

I can see Arizona signing theirs, because those fucks are lunatics.

But a lot of other states will quietly smother them yeah.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Leviathan posted:

If they don't pass it they'll just use police property seizure laws as a pretense instead

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The gently caress is up with Arizona anyway? What's the root cause of it's wretchedness

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"We found some weed on them as it turns out, so we took their house" is already a legal and real thing

Americans lose more property to police most years than to burglars

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/RepMcGovern/status/835606593349816320

!

Yoder is in KS-03, which went verrryy slightly for HRC, but he performed better versus the vote than someone like Issa did.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Relevant Tangent posted:

Dem thread is dumb af.

it taught me about buttigieg the gobli gobljn gihblok gobljng gobllln gobljnf goblop goblonf goblim gonljv goblin goblhm foklok gohmlu goblhny gobliny gobih goblmm gonlinu fighter who will one day destroy matt lauer

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Solarin posted:

The gently caress is up with Arizona anyway? What's the root cause of it's wretchedness

It's like all the worst parts of Nevada 'ARE LAWND' types mixed with mormons and crazy racist old people.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/eric_bichan/status/835628410001043456

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

hes bustin w his squire named dj nutty

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Good evening thread, how y'all doin?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

"We found some weed on them as it turns out, so we took their house" is already a legal and real thing

if they wanted to keep their house they shouldn't have had weed in it

or an empty space for police to put weed on

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Schnorkles posted:

https://twitter.com/RepMcGovern/status/835606593349816320

!

Yoder is in KS-03, which went verrryy slightly for HRC, but he performed better versus the vote than someone like Issa did.

love that any republican with even a passing worry for their job is totally ready to throw trump under the bus.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

from a supporter of firefighters, guess this is the case where you kill cops :madmax:

edit: this was about the protesting thing, gently caress

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

shiksa posted:

love that any republican with even a passing worry for their job is totally ready to throw trump under the bus.

it's pretty surprising to see the weak ends of the republican caucus running as far and as fast as they can from Trump all of a month into his presidency, even if he's been a dumpster fire. Usually takes longer than that.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

h*ck yaas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Solarin posted:

sheriff joe is legally retarded and jan brewer never earned a bachelors degree. lotta lasting damage was done

• Locked thread