Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

YggdrasilTM posted:

Eh, I liked the colorless mana. Like, a lot.

Yes, colorless mana is a good mechanic, my bad on the hyperbole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
colorless mana would have been cooler if it featured as a cost on more then like 3 cards

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
Milled out a guy for a win at standard FNM last night. Feels good.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mcmagic posted:

MM2 was a great set. Really fun to draft too.

Not really. It was ok, but nothing spectacular (mainly because a lot of the color combinations were horrendously lopsided.) That being said, I loved forcing B/W Spirits and just grinding everyone to dust.

The only time I've ever taken a picture of a draft deck. :v:

I opened Skite, Banshee, and Sahr and was passed Profane Command and Elesh Norn.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Man, all these reminders of BFZ gets me thinking....

Worst block in the Modern Era? Certainly the worst in the mythic era. Colorless mana was maybe the only cool thing to come out of it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
5 Waxmane Bakus and 3 Thieves of Hope is goddamn ridiculous.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Pontius Pilate posted:

That and it was a very popular set. Definitely some interesting takeaways.

By interesting I mean bad

It did extremely well in sales, so from that aspect it was popular. From about every other aspect though...

AlternateNu posted:

Not really. It was ok, but nothing spectacular (mainly because a lot of the color combinations were horrendously lopsided.) That being said, I loved forcing B/W Spirits and just grinding everyone to dust.

I opened Skite, Banshee, and Sahr and was passed Profane Command and Elesh Norn.

Getting passed an Elesh Norn seems p. fun. "Oh hey, the exact card that will make my deck go bonkers if I get to play it"

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

sit on my Facebook posted:

Man, all these reminders of BFZ gets me thinking....

Worst block in the Modern Era? Certainly the worst in the mythic era. Colorless mana was maybe the only cool thing to come out of it.

Theros was much, much worse. Drafting BFZ is fine if everyone knows that Green and to a lesser extent White are terrible. The games are all Grixis Devoid mirrors, but they're fine games. Theros gameplay, on the other hand, was just terrible.

Wait, Theros gave us a lot of really good Pauper cards, and BfZ gave us.....Crumbling Sanctuary? Yeah actually gently caress BfZ and Oath. Oath killed the Modern PT.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

mandatory lesbian posted:

colorless mana would have been cooler if it featured as a cost on more then like 3 cards
Only having it show up in Oath was a disappointment. Not only do you lose the design space from the large set, but you had the mana symbol mismatch within the same block which is just annoying from an aesthetic perspective.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

This reminds me of how much I loved Profane Command back when it was in standard. Such a versatile, powerful card.

It's not as straight bonkers as Cryptic Command but it was much more enjoyable to use.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AlternateNu posted:

The only time I've ever taken a picture of a draft deck.

Here's mine:

Cards

Lands

It wasn't even my deck. I just convinced my friend to go full 5 color when he was just going to go RUG. How are you going to open Karakas and foil Maelstrom Wanderer and NOT splash white?! We probably shouldn't have played the Second Thoughts. Literally every single game where I saw him cast Wanderer, he cascaded into it. The games where he cast it 2 or 3 times he obviously didn't.

It was an easy 3/0 6/0 obviously.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Turbofog guy at GP Utrecht is Roy Van Den Oeven. After running out to 6-0, he finished the day with two losses and a draw, so the Turbofog revolution might be on hold for now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
"Boggles is traditionally bad against cards." -PSullivan

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

He's not wrong

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

well she lost the match so he's not exactly wrong

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

araeris posted:

Turbofog guy at GP Utrecht is Roy Van Den Oeven. After running out to 6-0, he finished the day with two losses and a draw, so the Turbofog revolution might be on hold for now.

I'm watching this right now. I'm loving this deck, it's very different than what I run but I love it.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

araeris posted:

List/name? Ran a turbo fog list this FNM, and would be nice to refine to a legit good list lol

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

smokyprogg posted:

List/name? Ran a turbo fog list this FNM, and would be nice to refine to a legit good list lol

They haven't published the lists yet, and I don't know if we'll get to see his list tomorrow. He's in 162nd place after day 1.

They show one game in the stream archives on Magic's twitch channel. Starts at 7:33:20: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/124598942

Also spotlight #5 here: http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gputr17/gp-utrecht-2017-day-one-summary-2017-02-25

I've been looking in the various places I know to look for decklists that have Consulate Surveillance in them. Haven't seen anything that looked like this deck so far.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I want saffronolive's whale marvel engine deck to win a gp

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Sullivan disgusted by the Cheerios deck lol

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

80s James Hetfield posted:

Sullivan disgusted by the Cheerios deck lol

And turn 2 kill.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rinkles posted:

"A lot of combo decks look good against zero lands." -PSullivan

loving lol

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

GeneX posted:

:same:

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
We got the F6 salt from the opponent

edit: drat pic too big

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

That was a great feature match.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

And turn 2 kill.

I want to buy into the deck but I also know it's not long for this world

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

What could they take out instead of grapeshot, besides the creatures. This deck is going to kill storm if it keeps going.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

What could they take out instead of grapeshot, besides the creatures. This deck is going to kill storm if it keeps going.

the deck did nothing before Sram, so that seems like the logical choice

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

The deck promotes bad gameplay but I don't think it's close to banworthy.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

GeneX posted:

:yeah:

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

GoutPatrol posted:

Retract or if they're feeling like assholes, Mox Opal

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

The deck promotes bad gameplay but I don't think it's close to banworthy.

i wonder what the actual before turn 3 kill percentage is

End of Life Guy posted:

Retract or if they're feeling like assholes, Mox Opal

mox opal being banned would be good

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
An opal ban seems in line with how much they don't like fast mana in modern.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
That would be hilarious if they put the last nail in Affinity's coffin. Then, I wouldn't feel obligated to run so many Kolaghan's Commands in Grixis.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

They really should have banned Opal and Spirit Guide a long time ago.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

That would be hilarious if they put the last nail in Affinity's coffin. Then, I wouldn't feel obligated to run so many Kolaghan's Commands in Grixis.

I've seen Affinity win without Opal so I don't think it would be the final nail, but I've been wanting to run Mill again and that's one of Mill's worst matchups so anything that knocks it down a peg is A-OK by me.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I really dont want to see an Opal ban; but I'd understand if they did.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I would loving love a Mox Opal ban in Modern.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
A local player died in a horrible car accident early Thursday morning, and a store around here decided to run a benefit tournament for his family. Wizards of the Coast was kind enough to donate two uncut sheets of what appears to be foil uncommon Battle for Zendikar and a bunch of those buy-a-box packs. A bunch of other stores he played/shopped at donated boxes and stuff towards the prizes. All of his friends decided that we're going to sell whatever we win and give the money to his fiance and ~2 year old son. I like the community banding together like this. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

BJPaskoff posted:

A local player died in a horrible car accident early Thursday morning, and a store around here decided to run a benefit tournament for his family. Wizards of the Coast was kind enough to donate two uncut sheets of what appears to be foil uncommon Battle for Zendikar and a bunch of those buy-a-box packs. A bunch of other stores he played/shopped at donated boxes and stuff towards the prizes. All of his friends decided that we're going to sell whatever we win and give the money to his fiance and ~2 year old son. I like the community banding together like this. :unsmith:

Sad but glad to hear everyone is coming together to help the family.

• Locked thread