Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

jon joe posted:

I recently had a 50 AC gargoyle run ended by water elementals, of all things, in Shoals. Do their attacks ignore AC?

Nope. And gargoyles are unbreathing so their attack doesn't even have its side effect, which does ignore AC.

Edit: Although it still might slow you down if you try to move away from them when engulfed, actually. You just wouldn't take the asphyxiation damage or be silenced.

Double edit: vvvv the attack doesn't ignore AC as it's just a hit, but it has a chance of engulfing you, which does the AC-ignoring asphyxiation damage. As opposed to water nymphs, who just do asphyxiation damage with every attack as they have touch:drown. Either way, gargoyles don't breathe.

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

jon joe posted:

I recently had a 50 AC gargoyle run ended by water elementals, of all things, in Shoals. Do their attacks ignore AC?

Asphyxiation does, yes. Gargoyles should be immune to it though?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

You use acquire gold when there is a cool unrandart in a shop you found on D:6 or so and if you just had some more gold you could totally go buy it and have fun.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I've seen it thrown around a few times but I'd like to know if devs have ever had a serious discussion about making spells like rmsl and ozos into reserved mana spells. As in, you cast ozos and it's on you forever but reduced your maxhp while it was on. I know the fear is that people will cast it at 90% fail until it sticks, but that has an easy workaround: it can be permanent once you get it under 5% fail or w/e. This doesn't really solve the core issues with charms but I think it's a step in the right direction.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Chakan posted:

I've seen it thrown around a few times but I'd like to know if devs have ever had a serious discussion about making spells like rmsl and ozos into reserved mana spells. As in, you cast ozos and it's on you forever but reduced your maxhp while it was on. I know the fear is that people will cast it at 90% fail until it sticks, but that has an easy workaround: it can be permanent once you get it under 5% fail or w/e. This doesn't really solve the core issues with charms but I think it's a step in the right direction.

This exact idea has been discussed thoroughly and the general consensus is no, it's not going to happen. Turning Charms into free equipment slots at the price of a few MP is... not great. You could limit it to only one active Charm at any given time but that doesn't really solve the fundamental issue here.

It also doesn't address that many characters simply don't care one bit about losing a bit of max MP. It'd primarily affect spellcasting-oriented characters.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

jon joe posted:

Water elementals have armor piercing attacks idiot.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
What's an "armor piercing attacks idiot"?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

SKULL.GIF posted:

This exact idea has been discussed thoroughly and the general consensus is no, it's not going to happen. Turning Charms into free equipment slots at the price of a few MP is... not great. You could limit it to only one active Charm at any given time but that doesn't really solve the fundamental issue here.

It also doesn't address that many characters simply don't care one bit about losing a bit of max MP. It'd primarily affect spellcasting-oriented characters.

You could rework the spell school into something entirely different where this won't happen. I.E. you would need to hit an exp threshold with spellcasting/charms before it's usable at all, (maybe even flexible /threshold is higher or impossible in plate) Not a percent failure.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Decrepus posted:

Water elementals have armor piercing attacks idiot.

And as pointed out in previous posts, while engulf status is asphyxiation and bypasses AC it does not affect unbreathing species, such as gargoyles that jon joe was playing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kaedric posted:

Petition to have monk background do more with Gozag than let you save 20 gold pieces.

Yeah, saving the entry fee is honestly really wimpy compared to starting at ** piety with other gods. It should be something like an extra free Potion Petition or a free shop in addition to the free PP.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Guess it was just an incredibly unlucky combination of rolls, then. There were quite a few of the water elementals.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

Goodpancakes posted:

You could rework the spell school into something entirely different where this won't happen. I.E. you would need to hit an exp threshold with spellcasting/charms before it's usable at all, (maybe even flexible /threshold is higher or impossible in plate) Not a percent failure.
But if you do this, you break the standard assumptions about spells in Crawl. (Which by the way, is already true for the concept of permant effects with permanent MP costs.)

Some effects are just not meant to be spells. Often, they can be salvaged in other form: consumable, god power, item property -- all of these have been done.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I'm going to scalp the dev who thought it would be a good idea to make an Ice Cave with two loving Ice Fiends in it.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

fool_of_sound posted:

I'm going to scalp the dev who thought it would be a good idea to make an Ice Cave with two loving Ice Fiends in it.

There's a reason the common wisdom regarding Scrolls of Acquirement is "bnever benter bicecaves!"

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Ice fiends are big babies. If you can fight ice dragons or frost giants you can kill an ice fiend.

The things I find scariest in ice caves are ice devils, ice statues, and freezing wraiths in that order.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Bring back Phase Shift, make it cross-pathed with Charms.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea I just had that ice cave the other day, I just assumed their tiles where ice devils until my hp instantly hit red. Fun times!

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

dpeg posted:

Unless something has changed recently, Monks get to waive the Gozag service fee. Which usually is more than 20$.

(Just tested: still works.)

I suppose the number could get bigger if you waited a super long time before joining Gozag but I tend to find an altar by D:5 and it just kinda feels :| compared to say, I dunno, generating a free food shop or potion petition. My throwing out of 20 was just example/hyperbole.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, saving the entry fee is honestly really wimpy compared to starting at ** piety with other gods. It should be something like an extra free Potion Petition or a free shop in addition to the free PP.

^ this

EDIT: Ru's benefit also seems rather lame as a monk, but I can kinda see where that one is coming from.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
fwiw, i'm pretty sure the 2x fiend cave is one of the 'hard' ice caves, only showing up in lair branches or elf. tough, but not that insane compared to what you're facing by then!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Every time I enter an ice cave I regret it. Second place is probably baileys, which I regret like 1/3 of the time.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I never regret ice caves because I can always back up and walk out the exit at the start, so it's at least free XP as far as I'm concerned

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Optional portals put blinders on me 100% of the time

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

I never regret ice caves because I can always back up and walk out the exit at the start, so it's at least free XP as far as I'm concerned

Yeah this is true of almost every single portal vault, there's always an exit almost immediately adjacent to the entrance so you can always leave safely. The only exceptions are the polearm bailey where you start surrounded by javelin centaurs, maybe one wizlab, and labyrinths.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Darox posted:

The only exceptions are the polearm bailey where you start surrounded by javelin centaurs

I only got this bailey once and it left me wondering just how the gently caress most characters are meant to clear it. Its insanely cruel.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

MiMo^WJC is so badass they punch orbs of destruction

Cleared the entirety of Zot:5 lungs with heaven on earth, I like this god

apple fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 26, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Frogs got some weird changes:

quote:

Give Barachians LOS 8 (gammafunk)

The general feeling was that Barachians were a bit bland, so let's
add a new mechanic to interact with their existing Hop and slow
movement. They now have +1 LOS, making considerably more spaces
visible than for normal races. This is generally considered Bad;
in exchange, thus, I'm raising their attributes slightly, increasing
level 2 hop range, and also raising most of their aptitudes by +1.

As part of the change, the race is rethemed: instead of being
barbarians from the arctic south, they're now rebellious former
servants of the good gods, which naturally repel shadows. (The
opposite of Nightstalker, more or less.) Accordingly, they now have
poor Invocations, Necromancy, and Stealth apts.

It could be worth making the Robe of Night and the Darkness spell
not work for them, for theme reasons, but that's a long and
slippery slope. Should Umbra not work? Should they be banned from
Dith...? That last in particular was suggested, and might yet
happen, but I'm unsure.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Give their UC a corona effect on hit

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
don't give more species flavor based god exclusions.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't think having more line of sight is going to make the frogs any less boring

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why would the favored servant of the holy gods (stop calling them good it ruins my :qq: flavor :qq:) be loving frogs though

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Make WJC's Young Tiger additive with Barachian hop, if hop is ready to go when YT is invoked.

:getin:

E: I haven't played either, please don't nerf them before I get around to it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Why would the favored servant of the holy gods (stop calling them good it ruins my :qq: flavor :qq:) be loving frogs though

Because Everquest did it with Frogloks I guess?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Won :neckbeard:

I've gotten a bunch of characters pretty far, but this is my first win since coming back to Crawl. Psyched! Decided to just go with an easy combo and not get too cocky re: going for extra runes.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
What happened to that change where enemies could become supercharged? I'm not seeing any recent complaints so either its still in but not so bad or removed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Pretty sure its still an experimental branch. If it ever got into trunk you'd definitely see a lot of complaints about it again.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Johnny Joestar posted:

i don't think having more line of sight is going to make the frogs any less boring

It's a change that makes them substantially different from others species and adds a lot of danger to the game. Giving them excellent all around aptitudes and a built in escape tool on top of that seems really fun! I particularly love high aptitudes, though, since it feels like you've got so much more stuff going on with your character.

Internet Kraken posted:

Why wouldn't they be? I particularly like this little bit of absurdity. Who's to say the good/holy gods aren't frogs themselves?

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
+1 to LOS would make the game feel significantly different IMO, and they get some nice buffs to go along with it. LOS change is not all bad either; it's a nice buff for full-screen spells and abilities since you will potentially affect more things per cast.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Internet Kraken posted:

Look, just because they're holy doesn't mean they can't get in on some of that sweet, sweet amphibian intercourse.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
btw definitely don't give Dith any more stupid awful gameplay restrictions based on flavor when they still have the dumb fire conduct

apple posted:

+1 to LOS would make the game feel significantly different IMO, and they get some nice buffs to go along with it. LOS change is not all bad either; it's a nice buff for full-screen spells and abilities since you will potentially affect more things per cast.
It's still a downside because of how much harder it makes managing how many enemies get aggro(and making it harder to lose), shooting things from 1 tile further away isn't worth having more tiles revealed as you move particularly when you move downstairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I still find it weird the spooky shadow god hates fire but doesn't give a gently caress about like, Corona.

• Locked thread