Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

because business customers will gladly sacrifice usability if it means they don't have the re-write some 20 year old business critical VB script shitpile and will buy hardware accordingly

if only ms had... i dunno, courage or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

mishaq posted:

timbs Apple

lol timb is just really into conspicuous bulges, rigid 7 inch cylindrical projections, and awkwardly plugging into bottoms to fill them with juice

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

The Management posted:

how is this not an automatic probation?

weak, feckless mods in the pocket of big stymie. sad!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
because stymie is right

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

how's the battery life

I've mostly been using it plugged in since I've been downloading and installing lots of stuff and photos agent, spotlight and time machine need to do their thing but I got over 4 hours with it under fairly high load. I think a lot of the "issues" with battery have to do with how bright the screen is since if it's up high it gets included in the "apps using lots of energy" list now

it's a very nice screen though, this is the first laptop I can do real design work on

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Platystemon posted:

When my 2016 MBP switches from integrated to discrete GPU (but not vice versa), some elements of the screen invert and don’t return to their proper colours till something like moving a window causes them to refresh.

Before, on Intel HD 530

Immediately after switching to AMD Radeon Pro 460

The hues invert, but not the luminosity, so I suppose it’s swapped CB and CR components or however the GPUs are handling it internally. Perhaps Intel and AMD have different data structure conventions.

It was a minor annoyance when certain websites triggered it with a momentary GPU switch (eBay was one), but now that I have it locked down with gfxCardStatus, it’s effectively a non‐issue.

Still, my machine has always done it, it’s repeatable, but I haven’t seen anyone else mention it.

I find that strange. It seems like the kind of thing that would be happening to everyone till Apple patched it out in the next OS revision.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
AMD does it again lmao

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
got the the battery on my 5s replaced for a whopping $25 so now I can keep using the best iPhone until apple gives me a reason to upgrade (they won't)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Boiled Water posted:

microsoft should drop legacy things and just go "you know what run a vm if you desperately need 16-bit whatever"
They actually did; if you need to run 16 bit apps you can't do that on 64 bit windows now. This is why ski free was ported to 32 bit.

If you really want to run 16 bit chip's challenge on a modern system, you can do it on 64 bit linux via Wine.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Microsoft didn't make that decision, AMD did

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

They actually did; if you need to run 16 bit apps you can't do that on 64 bit windows now. This is why ski free was ported to 32 bit.

If you really want to run 16 bit chip's challenge on a modern system, you can do it on 64 bit linux via Wine.

what about the ubuntu on windows thing

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

hobbesmaster posted:

what about the ubuntu on windows thing
I haven't explored that but I suspect it could be made to work if it doesn't already.

Wine on Windows has been an experimental thing for over a decade now (mostly as a means of unit testing particular DLLs to see if they can be drop-in replacements). In theory it could have been used to port Direct X 10 to Windows XP when Microsoft said they wouldn't, but Wine's DX10 wasn't near ready by the time everyone truly gave up on XP.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

got the the battery on my 5s replaced for a whopping $25 so now I can keep using the best iPhone until apple gives me a reason to upgrade (they won't)
that's nuts - was it apple or third party?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the 5s is cool and matches my retina mbp

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

what if tim just comes by and steps on your phone?

like really heel grinds it into glass powder and a hosed up frame so there's no fixing it while theatrically yelling 'woops didnt see that there guess youll have to buy a replacement huh'

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

like really heel grinds it into glass powder and a hosed up frame so there's no fixing it while theatrically yelling 'woops didnt see that there guess youll have to buy a replacement huh'

timb why

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Munkeymon posted:

yeah, it's called ios 10

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The new method you have to use for hanging up from the lock screen in ios 10 is almost enough to make me switch to android

Almost

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is it click the red button

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

There is no red button, Jony found it aesthetically displeasing and replaced it with a big empty space

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pogues-basics-how-to-end-a-call-on-your-iphone-222434355.html

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
lol if you have phone.app calls like some sort of caveman

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

r u ready to WALK posted:

There is no red button, Jony found it aesthetically displeasing and replaced it with a big empty space

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pogues-basics-how-to-end-a-call-on-your-iphone-222434355.html

soon the iphone will be replaced by a completely blank screen

people will take their jet black 8s and grunting as they throw them against the new campus

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

haha, that is absolutely ridiculous. they should never have let jony near software of any kind, i would take all the skeumorphism in the world over this poo poo

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i actually still rather like skeumorphism. apple did it very well.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

:yossame:

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

lol no

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yep

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

forgot to switch accounts?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
til that if you unlock an iphone while on a call it drops you to the springboard and not the call in phone.app

really cool on a conference call when you need to unmute yourself to talk

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

ufarn posted:

that's nuts - was it apple or third party?

I didn't ask, I'd guess 3rd party though.

idgaf, my battery woes are a thing of the past.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Blinkz0rz posted:

til that if you unlock an iphone while on a call it drops you to the springboard and not the call in phone.app

just tap on the big green strip at the top of the screen that shows you're on a call?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Blinkz0rz posted:

yeah this was frustrating me enough that i googled it a few weeks ago

don't even unlock the phone. just wake it and tap the call details and all the controls will pop up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

I didn't ask, I'd guess 3rd party though.

idgaf, my battery woes are a thing of the past.

be sure to post from the hospital when it explodes in your pocket

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

bring back the leather on my calendar timb

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i almost always hang up phone calls with sleep button anyway. i'm just glad it hangs it up

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol the next iphone is going to have a curved screen like a samsung pos phone

thanks tim you loving hack

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

SE 4 lyfe

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lmao I had no idea how bad ios has gotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol.

oled

curved screen

usb-c

• Locked thread