Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Trin Tragula posted:

Your machine-guns open up again; one kill, one suppression this time.

Am I using my command staff on the front line for a range boost for the MG? If so I (and the ladies of France) approve, and should I survive to leave, I will probably need a bodyguard to dig me out from under the piles of garters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

By the time you get home the heroes invalides of the 119th will have cornered the market on donated garters

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
someone's going to have to charge up that hill to get rid of those heavy howitzers

unless the brigade routs with them, I guess

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So we traded 7 chits each but we are in a much stronger position then we were last turn.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Your Intelligence department intercepts a telegram from Generalleutenant Tevery Spitzehut Unhofflichmann Beste von Polieren to General Kuno von Moltke, who you believe is his army commander.

code:
WE HAVE FOUND GENERAL FRENCH APOSTROPHE S CONTEMPTIBLE LITTLE PISS HYPHEN BRIGADE STOP

PROCEEDING TO EVAPORATE IT WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE STOP

HOLD MEIN BIER STOP

JEDER SCHRITT EIN BRITT FULL STOP
He is certainly living up to his name.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 26, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Time to end this.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

General Mon Pere, Corps Commander

General Lyautey, I need to know more reliably when I can count on the final reserve brigade being available for deployment. Can you provide me with any information on that?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

General Lyautey sounds rather harrassed when you speak with him. He tells you tersely that it will arrive approximately one hour before nightfall and then hangs up on you.

Would you like it to be infantry-focused, artillery-focused, or cavalry?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

CAVALRY

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It has ten cavalry companies, a commander, one cavalry machine-gun, and one arse hortillery battery.

It requires a commanding officer, and it must be assigned to a division.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 26, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

*sound of galloping in the background*

The commanding officer and division will be assigned in due time.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzRmp-O496Y

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Dispatches from the Roll20:

We were discussing the possibility that the Germans need to capture their objectives before a fixed turn when reinforcements arrive.

It would be very Moltke, and the Boche is nothing but a Moltke Crew. :v:

Also it would be a bad thing because we're in a good place if they need to send a runner back, but less so if they just need to have men in St. Croissant and a stretch goal town.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

The Brigadier pictured seems to have gotten a bit overexcited and is likely not going to be able to easily receive orders as he is well over 8" from a road.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Well, if we can crush the enemy on dejeuner ridge in the next 4 turns, we will be in a good position to roll up the enemy line. Night attack on St C led by the BEF and dismounted cav, anyone?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

How am I still alive, and why am I enthusiastically signing up for this proposal?

Oh it's because I'm still bleary eyed. No, I keep my horse.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 26, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Expected

Actual

Our troops fell back in good order from Dejuener, and our reinforcements are heading west nicely. Points of interest:
They've fortified Pastuer Ridge, although I'm not sure if that's from the previous round or if they are staying put. Id like to get a potential map on how far they could have moved if they left the trenches last round. Practically speaking, they seem to be forming a wall against our wall.

... which is funny because we've already left :v:

Its clear, though, that they are treating Quatrepolis as their Win condition, no matter the losses. They are advancing without regard to formation, command radius, support, or morale checks, so its safe to say that's where they are going.

Practically speaking, then, this is the primary map to be considering.

Enemy composition:

Local assets:

Loel fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 26, 2017

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The guys on top of Pasteur ridge should be visible from our lines if they're bumbling around. I think it's 40" from the second level of a hill. The guys in the valley could be sneaking up on Baguette, I suppose, but Baguette is already full of Germans now.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

So, the enemy is on the hill overlooking the objective, and night is about to fall. What do they do?

Option 1. Entrench in place. They are out of the range of our guns, and they expect a night attack.

Option 2: Night movement followed by consolidation. They move away from us, and set up for a dawn attack.

Option 3: Night zerg-rush. High casualties, very aggressive, no thought for coordination or safety.

How do we determine which one we are facing, and what is our response?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Loel posted:

So, the enemy is on the hill overlooking the objective, and night is about to fall. What do they do?

Option 1. Entrench in place. They are out of the range of our guns, and they expect a night attack.

Option 2: Night movement followed by consolidation. They move away from us, and set up for a dawn attack.

Option 3: Night zerg-rush. High casualties, very aggressive, no thought for coordination or safety.

How do we determine which one we are facing, and what is our response?

The way they've been moving the arty up looks like they expect to be advancing under cover of the artillery fire, and they've been pushing hard. I'd expect a hard rush to try and get through before we can react. They have 6 turns to do so. Six turns ago we had men on La Oeuf.

Do we think they're in a position to have gotten orders that were written with the benefit of knowledge of the BEF? Do we expect them to leave much infantry behind to guard the guns?

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 26, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Let's see...

That vertical infantry didn't move last turn.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

xthetenth posted:

The way they've been moving the arty up looks like they expect to be advancing under cover of the artillery fire, and they've been pushing hard. I'd expect a hard rush to try and get through before we can react. They have 6 turns to do so. Six turns ago we had men on La Oeuf.

So, lets say their orders are
A) Arty get deployed to the elevated terrain
B) infantry advances on the city with covering fire

:siren: Do we we think they will advance at night? :siren:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Loel posted:

So, lets say their orders are
A) Arty get deployed to the elevated terrain
B) infantry advances on the city with covering fire

:siren: Do we we think they will advance at night? :siren:

Last turn was 21, night is between 27 and 28. Do they need to advance at night? The arty is already in position to cover their advance. Maybe one more to let it unlimber or maybe unlimber it as the infantry advances, but there's still a good bit of time in hand to charge down unless I'm badly misremembering movement rates (I am glorious cavalry, this is possible).

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The big question here is quite simple: Do we redirect BEF or do we let them proceed?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

The big question here is quite simple: Do we redirect BEF or do we let them proceed?

Whats their current route?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

my dad posted:

What will they do in each case, and do we need to change their orders so they react better, and if so, how do we change the orders?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Loel posted:

Whats their current route?

Beeline for Quatreprouts

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

Beeline for Quatreprouts

I think "all units to Q" works pretty well. BEF, the new cav brigade, the Graisse survivors. If they'll spend any number of troops to get to Q, we might as well oblige them :black101:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Loel posted:

I think "all units to Q" works pretty well. BEF, the new cav brigade, the Graisse survivors. If they'll spend any number of troops to get to Q, we might as well oblige them :black101:

Counterpoint: Dakka

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

Counterpoint: Dakka

What are the other options for BEF? Rush the hill, stay where they are?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

BEF has three batteries that should be able to have good fire arcs from the treeline. We could also hold the cav behind for a turn to see if the infantry leaves the guns unguarded and try for them. I think we need the infantry to stop enemy infantry.

(also incidentally I was really hoping the BEF might have more MGs).

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

xthetenth posted:

BEF has three batteries that should be able to have good fire arcs from the treeline. We could also hold the cav behind for a turn to see if the infantry leaves the guns unguarded and try for them. I think we need the infantry to stop enemy infantry.

The infantry is stationary. They are also badly hosed for command rolls. They were expecting us to attack from the East, not from the South.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
They have sight on the enemy now, right? So their orders could be to bayonet charge towards the bois de bacon; the guns on the north side of the ridge will not be able to fire until 3 turns out, so hopefully the BEF lads can be in melee with the surviving rifle companies before then. The screening brigade is going to be playing MG duel with the forces in Graisse, that should keep them busy enough.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

my dad posted:

The infantry is stationary. They are also badly hosed for command rolls. They were expecting us to attack from the East, not from the South.

I'm thinking they might have orders to wait for the guns and then resume the advance. Or does the suppression and bayonet fight mean they wouldn't have the orders?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

sullat posted:

They have sight on the enemy now, right? So their orders could be to bayonet charge towards the bois de bacon; the guns on the north side of the ridge will not be able to fire until 3 turns out, so hopefully the BEF lads can be in melee with the surviving rifle companies before then.

... lol, the Graisse boys are told to flee the hill, let the enemy take it, and then are told to charge right back up. :v:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Loel posted:

... lol, the Graisse boys are told to flee the hill, let the enemy take it, and then are told to charge right back up. :v:

I meant the BEF, not the Graisse boys

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

sullat posted:

I meant the BEF, not the Graisse boys

I still get a chuckle thinking about it :D

Can't you picture the memoirs....

edit: But yes, bayonet charge supported by the 155s means we have less terrain to cover under sight of the enemy guns. We can hope it disrupts them from taking Q.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Loel posted:

I still get a chuckle thinking about it :D

Can't you picture the memoirs....

I have confiscated all writing materials from my men, I caught one writing some truly dreadful angsty poetry.

Wait one second...

That lipstick is a memento, trooper! Unhand it this moment!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Aww yiss, this is a glorious clusterfuck in the making

look at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Does anyone know if the smaller howitzers need time to set up?

Because 2 of our cav chits can rush 2 howitzers, and have the slope protect them from the infantry and the machine guns.

• Locked thread