Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Dareon posted:

Is it his theme music?

Oh my god, it needs to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Hey, I never heard that phrase for *years* after that comic came out. Then some number of years ago (five? I was drinking a lot back then) I started hearing it. Made a QED to me at least.

that's about when NWN2 came out, where it literally ends that way no seriously, a cave buries you and the entire party after all's said and done, caused a massive uproar on top of the many other issues NWN2 had (a creepy romance with stalker elf, female players again getting the shaft in romance, an influence system that's basically "say whatever makes them happy even if it's encouraging the stupid idiot's pyromania" and a pretty Eh story)

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 26, 2017

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Robindaybird posted:

that's about when NWN2 came out, where it literally ends that way no seriously, a cave buries you and the entire party after all's said and done, caused a massive uproar on top of the many other issues NWN2 had (a creepy romance with stalker elf, female players again getting the shaft in romance, an influence system that's basically "say whatever makes them happy even if it's encouraging the stupid idiot's pyromania" and a pretty Eh story)

:stare:

I mean, encouraging an idiot party member's pyromania is a time-honored tradition of D&D videogames, but Jesus Christ.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Dareon posted:

:stare:

I mean, encouraging an idiot party member's pyromania is a time-honored tradition of D&D videogames, but Jesus Christ.

I have very low opinions of Qara, she's very much the poster child for chaotic stupid, and will get pissy if you suggest she could not set something on fire (especially if setting something on fire is detrimental to whatever it is the party's trying to do) - I suppose her cut storyline might've made her tolerable but who knows. Mask of the Betrayer pretty much saved the series due to how loving good it is in terms of story and tweaking the mechanics.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Only good thing about NWN2: Mask and the Castle building section.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's strange that the best characters were the actual evil ones: Ammon Jerro and Bishop were a lot more interesting than the other characters on offer.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

NWN2 is what happens when Obsidian is told to do a "Normal" RPG story.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Kavak posted:

NWN2 is what happens when Obsidian is told to do a "Normal" RPG story.

Didn't they only do mask of the betrayer? I don't remember

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Under the vegetable posted:

Didn't they only do mask of the betrayer? I don't remember

They did both, MotB was them being cut loose and allowed to write the way they want.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

rumble in the bunghole posted:

It's strange that the best characters were the actual evil ones: Ammon Jerro and Bishop were a lot more interesting than the other characters on offer.

Yep. The rest are such a mixed bag. Sand was amusing. Qara was dumb but if you ignore her or don't support pyromania she joins the evil boss. If you are nuts like her then Sand can go evil instead. Seemed appropriate that you can't satisfy everyone and you shouldn't even try. But that isn't typical, a harmonious party has become the expectation in bioware-style games.

Some of those nwn2 characters were just terrible though. Grobner was the absolute worst, only redeeming moments are when Bishop insults him. That tiefling too, annoying personality and forever held back by the 3.5 racial level adjustment, ugh.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Not to mention she was a rogue in an undead and construct focused 3.5 campaign and traps could be solved by having someone walk through them and rest.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

berenzen posted:

Not to mention she was a rogue in an undead and construct focused 3.5 campaign and traps could be solved by having someone walk through them and rest.
Oh god, I remember a game one of my friends was in where this exact thing happened. The DM straight up demanded that the party be rogue/fighter/arcane caster/divine caster but was "nice" enough to let them start at the lofty heights of level 2. The first fight he threw against them was a couple of owlbear skeletons. The fighter had a greatsword, rogue had a rapier, and the casters had crossbows. Well the wizard only had like 2 magic missiles prepped and the cleric wanted to save his cure spells for healing so he was trying to turn them; too bad he needed to roll a 17+ to do that. Fighter went down after getting full attacked, rogue could do nothing with his 1d6 damage against undead DR, so it was a TPK. His response to their death was "But they were CR 2 so you should have been able to kill them easily! You must have done something wrong." at which point they decided bad gaming is worse than no gaming. Wish I had learned that as quick as they did.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Dareon posted:

Is it his theme music?

I don't know; I just randomly pick an enchantment. I'll use theme music if it ever happens again, though. Setting a party of super murderhobos against each other though is the best thing ever. Just sit back and enjoy the hilarity.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
It's been a million years since I ran 3/3.5 but doesn't CR 2 mean that one of them would be an appropriate challenge for a party of four level 2 PCs (party balance bullshit notwithstanding)?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

PantsOptional posted:

It's been a million years since I ran 3/3.5 but doesn't CR 2 mean that one of them would be an appropriate challenge for a party of four level 2 PCs (party balance bullshit notwithstanding)?

Yuuuuup.

Remember kids, not gaming is always superior to bad gaming.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Not to mention that templates make an even further mess of the already poo poo CR system. Skeletons are reduced CR (usually) because they lose almost all special abilities and can only hit things. Owlbears lose improved grab and that's all. They get more dangerous than their normal CR of 4, not less.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

CR has never worked because it didn't have any kind of hard guidelines behind the numbers that were assigned to the monsters. You ended up with poo poo like undead that were unkillable unless your casters prepared direct damage spells for the day at CR 3, enemies that could permanently reduce your ability scores before you could use spells to counter or reverse it, and goddamn dragons at every level.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

senrath posted:

Not to mention that templates make an even further mess of the already poo poo CR system. Skeletons are reduced CR (usually) because they lose almost all special abilities and can only hit things. Owlbears lose improved grab and that's all. They get more dangerous than their normal CR of 4, not less.
Yep! There was a decidedly laughable amount of QA done for stuff like templates, on top of already poor guesswork of baseline enemies and poo poo like intentionally lowballing the CRs of dragons because they wanted them to be extra dangerous. So for example that CR5 dragon is actually CR7 but your DM sets you against one at lv3 to be "a significant challenge" and wipes you all out with its first breath weapon use. Whoops!

Kwyndig posted:

CR has never worked because it didn't have any kind of hard guidelines behind the numbers that were assigned to the monsters. You ended up with poo poo like undead that were unkillable unless your casters prepared direct damage spells for the day at CR 3, enemies that could permanently reduce your ability scores before you could use spells to counter or reverse it, and goddamn dragons at every level.
In theory, an encounter of CR N would consume 20% of the daily resources of a party of level N. In practice, it was "throw a dart, your score for that dart is the monster's CR." My favorite for horribly-guessed CRs will always be this rear end in a top hat. On top of being huge (and thus added reach when it's still brutal) and having a grapple check for swallow whole high enough to beat out anyone who isn't specifically built for grappling, it does 8d6 fire damage to anyone touching it. Every round. CR 7! Yeah, I bet your average 7th level anything can handle 8d6 damage. Repeatedly. On top of 2d8+12 per round from its bite/stomach. Sure thing, Skip.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

Yep! There was a decidedly laughable amount of QA done for stuff like templates, on top of already poor guesswork of baseline enemies and poo poo like intentionally lowballing the CRs of dragons because they wanted them to be extra dangerous. So for example that CR5 dragon is actually CR7 but your DM sets you against one at lv3 to be "a significant challenge" and wipes you all out with its first breath weapon use. Whoops!
In theory, an encounter of CR N would consume 20% of the daily resources of a party of level N. In practice, it was "throw a dart, your score for that dart is the monster's CR." My favorite for horribly-guessed CRs will always be this rear end in a top hat. On top of being huge (and thus added reach when it's still brutal) and having a grapple check for swallow whole high enough to beat out anyone who isn't specifically built for grappling, it does 8d6 fire damage to anyone touching it. Every round. CR 7! Yeah, I bet your average 7th level anything can handle 8d6 damage. Repeatedly. On top of 2d8+12 per round from its bite/stomach. Sure thing, Skip.

Not sure what your problem with it is - it has no ranged attacks, and lives in the desert. Fly is only a third level spell, so unless you're playing a NPC class like Fighter or something this guy is pretty trivial.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It's not in a book (just in an article on the Wizards website, updated version in Stormwrack which I don't have), but what you really want to go for is the Monstrous Crab.

The Monstrous Crab is Large, giving it 10-foot reach, has an AC of 19, and has 66 hitpoints, making it pretty beefy. It also outspeeds the party with a base movement speed of 40 feet, so that it can grab you with its +19 bonus on grapple checks and crush the life out of you to the tune of 1d8+9 damage per round that you're grappled. Its stated strategy is to come out of the water, grab you, and then pull you back under the water where you drown or get crushed to death.

It's CR is 3. It will wipe the party effortlessly.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Not if they just write off the first guy and run the gently caress away.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It's done 1d8+9 when it grabbed them, and then 1d8+9 again for initiating the grapple (which it won), so whoever it's grabbed is likely to die within a turn or two. Plus, thanks to Improved Grab it can move at full speed as it grapples somebody. There is no escape, dehumanize yourself and face to crab death.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It has int --, so a simple silent image will remove any challenge posed by this unintelligent simpleton - why, even a first level pc could trivialize this challenge. It should be CR 1 at highest.

Also, I think quickdraw should require two feats - one to unsheath the weapon on a single turn, and one to attack with it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Improved Grab doesn't let you move with your victim any better than normal, just lets you make a grapple attempt after hitting with a claw. So it would still need to choose between moving (at half speed as a standard action) and dealing damage. So if you do choose to sacrifice your grappled friend , his optimal move is actually to grab another party member and drag you down with him. It'simportant to have the right mentality in that situation.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Tunicate posted:

It has int --, so a simple silent image will remove any challenge posed by this unintelligent simpleton - why, even a first level pc could trivialize this challenge. It should be CR 1 at highest.

Also, I think quickdraw should require two feats - one to unsheath the weapon on a single turn, and one to attack with it.

Now you're thinking like SKR Jason Bulmahn

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

berenzen posted:

Yea, picking Rogue as an NPC or as your class was a sucker's bet. The Paladin suffers from having much of his storyline cut, Dwarf's fun, but letting go Monk actually is worse than discouraging the idea since Monks are kind of a mess, Zheejve was a poor man's Drak'kon. Sandra was a fun party member but too good to last.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 27, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

In theory, an encounter of CR N would consume 20% of the daily resources of a party of level N. In practice, it was "throw a dart, your score for that dart is the monster's CR."

From a design perspective I think part of the problem is how unpredictable combat can be. If characters never missed, it'd be a lot easier to reliably duplicate something like "this fight should deplete 20% of your daily resources" (namely HP as a daily resource).

But with hit ratios being somewhere within the 60-80% range (and the d20 being what it is), it gets all wonky. Sometimes the players can clear an encounter without taking a scratch, other times it's a whiff-fest that drags on for far longer than it should.

And then from a practical perspective, it's also not that easy to just say "just throw another pack of goblins at them" if you need to stress their resources some more, because the whole act of rolling initiative and conducting combat takes time.

I keep deliberating over the idea of either making AC values low enough that hit rates are in the 80 to 95% reliable range even for a mildly optimized character and granting the same to enemies, or enforcing some level of "damage-on-a-miss" mechanic, in an effort to "guarantee" the attritional promise necessary for D&D's resource management assumptions to actually work.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

gradenko_2000 posted:

From a design perspective I think part of the problem is how unpredictable combat can be. If characters never missed, it'd be a lot easier to reliably duplicate something like "this fight should deplete 20% of your daily resources" (namely HP as a daily resource).

But with hit ratios being somewhere within the 60-80% range (and the d20 being what it is), it gets all wonky. Sometimes the players can clear an encounter without taking a scratch, other times it's a whiff-fest that drags on for far longer than it should.

And then from a practical perspective, it's also not that easy to just say "just throw another pack of goblins at them" if you need to stress their resources some more, because the whole act of rolling initiative and conducting combat takes time.

I keep deliberating over the idea of either making AC values low enough that hit rates are in the 80 to 95% reliable range even for a mildly optimized character and granting the same to enemies, or enforcing some level of "damage-on-a-miss" mechanic, in an effort to "guarantee" the attritional promise necessary for D&D's resource management assumptions to actually work.

13th Age handles this fairly well. On a miss, you deal damage equal to your level, and most spells have effects even if you fail to get past their PD/MD (just lesser effects). However, this goes for the enemy side too - monsters do a static amount of damage. On a natural 20, this is doubled (this works for players too) and on a miss, it typically does half. Lesser monsters do nothing on a miss.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Reduced damage instead of no damage on a miss even works with the earlier assumptions of D&D combat, that is that hit points represent stamina and luck as well as physical hardiness and that your attack roll represents an entire exchange of blows instead of a single hit.

You know, back when combat rounds were like a minute long.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is all true, and also that "resources" is a very broad term consisting of hp, spell slots, X/day abilities, and so on. Sometimes that 20% is a couple of higher level spell slots, sometimes it's a bucket of hp, sometimes it's the party warblade bleeding out in a corner. It would be ridiculously difficult to give a hard value to e.g. a 4th level spell slot given how many 4th level spells there are to pick from and how that slot goes from "my best spell" to "my backup spells" to "I'm down to using this? Ugh."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

goatface posted:

Not if they just write off the first guy and run the gently caress away.

Yawgmoth posted:

In theory, an encounter of CR N would consume 20% of the daily resources of a party of level N.
Assuming a 5 man party this actually checks out.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, one of the jokes I saw in regards to CR a while back that stuck with me was "This encounter was supposed to consume 20% of our resources. It ate the ranger."

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
In a 5-person party the loss of one PC while everyone else escapes is a 20% resource loss.

Hell, it's a Ranger. 10% at best.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Yesterday in Tanicus, our party learned that when you fold, stuff, stomp, push, jam, and otherwise cajole the flayed skin of a gold dragon into a portable hole (the villain whose tower we were crawling through had it as a carpet in front of a fireplace), the hole and skin can be used as a makeshift Claymore mine when facing off against a tribe of gnolls.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

ItalicSquirrels posted:

I've been running a game just for parents. Basically half of our friends are pretty certain they'll never have kids and the other half either already have them, are pregnant, or are actively trying. Ever since my wife hit her second trimester last year, gaming dropped right off our radar and now that our kid is six months old, I realized even the invitations have dropped off. Checked with our friends who have kids, and they say it's the same for them too. So about once a month we've gotten together at someone's house for D&D and kid-wrangling. There's food, there are soft drinks (a shocking amount of coffee), the occasional tantrum or dirty diaper (sometimes from the kids!), and we slowly make our way through a campaign. I figure it's a good excuse to get together with adults who at least understand the whole "kids take priority but I still want to have fun" thing.

Any other parents do this or are we weird for it?

I'm late to this post, but I'm a parent of a two year old and we host a weekly game night. My kid can sleep through a bomb blast, so there's no worries about hollerin' about a nat 20 waking her up from across the house. Three of the players are parents of toddlers and/or infants, and the other two don't have kids. One player is a stay at home dad and has had to Skype in because he's juggling a baby and a toddler now, but it works. (The game mostly happens after his toddler goes to bed, so he's usually at the camera with a dozing baby in his arms). The rest of us with toddlers are able to game after the kiddos go to sleep in the respective homes. The timing is trickier than dealing with the kids. We have to wait until after the kids go to bed now, and we're all lame old people who get up at 5 or 6 AM, so we're done gaming by 10 PM. Gone are the 6+ hour marathon games until 2 AM. We game 7 PM to 10 PM, which means we have to stay on-task. It works pretty well.

Kwyndig posted:

I never used CR when I ran 3.0 or 3.5 or Pathfinder. I just designed encounters like we used to in 2e: holistically and, sometimes, sadistically.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Yesterday in Tanicus, our party learned that when you fold, stuff, stomp, push, jam, and otherwise cajole the flayed skin of a gold dragon into a portable hole (the villain whose tower we were crawling through had it as a carpet in front of a fireplace), the hole and skin can be used as a makeshift Claymore mine when facing off against a tribe of gnolls.

Freaking brilliant!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I am an idiot apparently, ignore this.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 28, 2017

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Deleted

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 28, 2017

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Female Knights are fun.
--Especially when they take on incompetent squires and, over the course of 20+ hours of gaming, teach them the value of trust and nobility.
--Even better when squires, freed of their nervousness and low-born shame, admit that they have crushes on the similarly aged King of Castille.
--Best, though, when the nights disguise their Squires as princesses in dramatic schemes to catch bandit leaders who have far too much ink in their veins.

---Better than best is when the Knights make a pledge to follow their kingdom's best political interests and, in the last scene of a session, in front of their squires, are proposed to by the King of Castille.