Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Yeah, I'm 6'3" and 220lbs and after the first googling I knew it wasn't gonna fit me. I had figured that maybe one of my coworkers would like it for his grandson that's into them but I was only gonna go for it if it didn't need a lot of work and was complete.

Oh well, at least someone else might be buying the car, not for the $600, but eh, at least it's going and for more that what I was offered by a scrapyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
x post from pictures and videos.
https://www.redbull.tv/video/AP-1NWPT8PXS1W11/moto-7-the-movie

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Did a "snow race" at ye olde Southwick, but it was 55 degrees and quickly turned into a mud race. I got stuck in a handlebar deep hole that was disguised as a puddle, so i didnt finish very well, but here's a pic.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Youtube "the making of" the 722 section. A+.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ah gaw durrbahk

2008 YZ450. New seals and bearings all over, hours are a bit of a mystery, but it runs strong. Needs a fender and new rear tire and typical new bike checks, then ready to ride!

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Congrats, looks like a steal. Are you doing MX at all? The Ridge's track looks fun, plus vilapotato's new place

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Dope.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

drat, I gotta get another dirtbike.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gullous posted:

Congrats, looks like a steal. Are you doing MX at all? The Ridge's track looks fun, plus vilapotato's new place

Yeah, I loved riding the vintage track on that walrus sm610, it'll be like a dream spending a whole day there on an actual MX bike instead of borrowing one for a few laps.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Currently running through 80s and 90s Yamaha graphics for sumo ideas, the pink and purple of the early 90's is pretty :krad: but I'm digging the 89 Chesterfield speedblocks.

But then again...

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 22, 2017

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

shacked up with Brenda posted:

Youtube "the making of" the 722 section. A+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHnr0y3_uwc

Words fail me.

Slim Pickens posted:

Currently running through 80s and 90s Yamaha graphics for sumo ideas, the pink and purple of the early 90's is pretty :krad: but I'm digging the 89 Chesterfield speedblocks.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

The ol' red and white is pretty classic imo.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Didn't Yamahas used to be yellow? I used to have a 70s or 80s YZ50 or YZ80 when I was a kid, and I'm certain it was yellow. Maybe it was a Suzuki and I'm misremembering? I think it was this bike, but I don't know if these were painted.

Anyone with kids have them ride yet? I'm trying to figure out what age is good for my son to start riding without scaring him out of it forever. He likes this little electric toddler sized ATV we have, but he doesn't have any experience on anything with 2 wheels. He's only 2 years old which I've read some parents start them at, but I was thinking 4/5 all the way up to 8 or 9 even before he's ready.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 23, 2017

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

Didn't Yamahas used to be yellow? I used to have a 70s or 80s YZ50 or YZ80 when I was a kid, and I'm certain it was yellow. Maybe it was a Suzuki and I'm misremembering? I think it was this bike, but I don't know if these were painted.

Anyone with kids have them ride yet? I'm trying to figure out what age is good for my son to start riding without scaring him out of it forever. He likes this little electric toddler sized ATV we have, but he doesn't have any experience on anything with 2 wheels. He's only 2 years old which I've read some parents start them at, but I was thinking 4/5 all the way up to 8 or 9 even before he's ready.

Yes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHnmui4c4YY

Yes. He started at 3 3/4 with a PW50. Two things that I think are most helpful. First, get him a balance bike if you haven't yet. It's probably the best thing for getting comfortable with two wheels and makes a huge difference for both a motorcycle and a bicycle. Plus, you can get this one and start him off on the path to success in life early. The pw50 comes with (or you can buy) training wheels and it has basically a governor screw so you can start out with it all the way in (out?) and his top speed will max out at 2 mph. Other than that, my advice is bring candy. Any time he crashes, take a little candy break. Take other candy breaks too. Bribe your kid to love motorcycles. It is important. Obviously a lot of it also depends on your kid. EX250's kid was winning motogp races against italians at age 2, but other kids will take longer to develop the coordination. Again, and I know I'm repeating myself here, I think a balance bike right now is key. It helps so much with developing two wheel balance.

Second, get a set of bluetooth communicators. I happen to have a couple senas that I really like, but they're a little spendy and I think there are better, cheaper options. There is a HUGE difference for your comfort and for your kid's comfort in being able to help them with when to brake and if they need to give it a little more throttle, GOOD GOD STOP HEADING TOWARD THE STREET, NO JUST JUMP OFF AND LET THE BIKE GO, etc. And it also makes the whole thing nicer with being able to chat with your kid while they ride as they get more experienced. One note, be sure you're familiar with how to turn volume down as if they fall and get hurt, it may get very loud very fast.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

builds character posted:

Yes. He started at 3 3/4 with a PW50. Two things that I think are most helpful. First, get him a balance bike if you haven't yet. It's probably the best thing for getting comfortable with two wheels and makes a huge difference for both a motorcycle and a bicycle. Plus, you can get this one and start him off on the path to success in life early. The pw50 comes with (or you can buy) training wheels and it has basically a governor screw so you can start out with it all the way in (out?) and his top speed will max out at 2 mph. Other than that, my advice is bring candy. Any time he crashes, take a little candy break. Take other candy breaks too. Bribe your kid to love motorcycles. It is important. Obviously a lot of it also depends on your kid. EX250's kid was winning motogp races against italians at age 2, but other kids will take longer to develop the coordination. Again, and I know I'm repeating myself here, I think a balance bike right now is key. It helps so much with developing two wheel balance.

Second, get a set of bluetooth communicators. I happen to have a couple senas that I really like, but they're a little spendy and I think there are better, cheaper options. There is a HUGE difference for your comfort and for your kid's comfort in being able to help them with when to brake and if they need to give it a little more throttle, GOOD GOD STOP HEADING TOWARD THE STREET, NO JUST JUMP OFF AND LET THE BIKE GO, etc. And it also makes the whole thing nicer with being able to chat with your kid while they ride as they get more experienced. One note, be sure you're familiar with how to turn volume down as if they fall and get hurt, it may get very loud very fast.

Ah very cool. Thanks for the tips! Looks like he'll be getting a slightly belated birthday present in that balance bike. Awesome idea with the bluetooth communicators also.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ah very cool. Thanks for the tips! Looks like he'll be getting a slightly belated birthday present in that balance bike. Awesome idea with the bluetooth communicators also.

In the interest of full disclosure, you can get him one for less than half as much. https://smile.amazon.com/Chicco-Bullet-Balance-Training-Bike/dp/B004MW55Z2/ for example. We managed to find one that had a wooden frame that looked like a dirt bike (like this https://smile.amazon.com/Indian-Motorcycle-Balance-Bike/dp/B00VSAMDHY but dirt bike and not that expensive) but I'm not seeing it on amazon now.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Do a balance bike inside and outside as often as possible. Once they figure out balance the rest is easy. My daughter started on a pw50 when she was 3 and it took her two seasons to feel comfortable and confident and rip around. My son is 5 and has been pedal biking with no training wheels since he was 3 but he's small and hasn't been comfortable on his pw50.

I bought him a PW foot brake, new forks, new black plastics, yellow Yamaha graphics, and it turns out his frame is hosed so I need to buy a PW frame for 400 bucks or a used PW for 500

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Sweet, thanks for the info. Yeah I'll pick up one of those balance bikes at Scheels since we have some rewards gift cards, so it may come out close to free. Thanks for letting me know that though I was wondering if that was a special one or just a cool looking one. I've never heard of Beta Motorcycles but it looks like they have some pretty sick dirt bikes also. Now I really want a 390 RR-S.

PW50 sounds great. I bet it's a blast decking it out as they get older.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Honestly they grow so loving fast its easier to just buy a larger bike than build up the beginner bikes. I regret getting my daughter a crf50 instead of the next size up since she is, at 7, 4'6" and ~75lbs and is generally just a rugged beast.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Yes. From the 80's onward they also offered white/red variants of the same color scheme and pattern.

EDIT: Today's yamaha page randomly showed a 1975 machine with the white/red.

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 24, 2017

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

Honestly they grow so loving fast its easier to just buy a larger bike than build up the beginner bikes. I regret getting my daughter a crf50 instead of the next size up since she is, at 7, 4'6" and ~75lbs and is generally just a rugged beast.

She's a terrible comparison for all kids though because in the "how many toddlers can you beat in a fight" her answer is just "all of them" where for you the answer is still like "a lot but I don't know, there's definitely a limit."

Sweet, thanks for the info. Yeah I'll pick up one of those balance bikes at Scheels since we have some rewards gift cards, so it may come out close to free. Thanks for letting me know that though I was wondering if that was a special one or just a cool looking one. I've never heard of Beta Motorcycles but it looks like they have some pretty sick dirt bikes also. Now I really want a 390 RR-S.

PW50 sounds great. I bet it's a blast decking it out as they get older.

Yes, this is a good and right opinion (I have a 390RR).

PW50 will probably last three years if you start him at the tail end of three. Depends a lot on how big he is. If he's big then at 6 he'll probably be ready for something like a CRF70. Maybe even at five.

If you do get a PW50, then all your issues are going to be either new plug or that stupid switch on the handlebar which you should put a ton of dielectric grease on and generally not let get wet.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone in Washington planning on doing the Desert 100 this year?

http://stumpjumpers.org/desert100/

I've never done it before, but I hear it's fun, if not a kick in the rear end as well. I'm considering the ironman poker run and the 50 mile race, but again, I have no idea what I'm in for.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

fixed the pw frame (by purchasing another pw (and also built a sand box and played tractors))

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

fixed the pw frame (by purchasing another pw (and also built a sand box and played tractors))

What? Thor?!

(Good job)

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I've been working on it for a few hours straight now and it is time for bed but it should be together by tomorrow

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Slim Pickens posted:

Is anyone in Washington planning on doing the Desert 100 this year?

http://stumpjumpers.org/desert100/

I've never done it before, but I hear it's fun, if not a kick in the rear end as well. I'm considering the ironman poker run and the 50 mile race, but again, I have no idea what I'm in for.

Pretty legit terrain, I recall the start being a total shitshow. I tapped out at 50 miles, I didn't see the point in doing another lap. If you're slow consider the poker run, lots of speed differential / aggro bros and you could get nailed by lap traffic - the fast guys are crazy fast. I may go this year, but it will be the poker run if I go. You could have just as much fun going to moses or other sand riding areas.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah, we've started a tradition of riding Mattawa during the D100 because the place is dead and it has the same feel without the madness and camping in the freezing cold

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Video edit of that snow/mud race I posted about before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sOuvzsk09g

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

This is a really nice video, makes me miss dirt riding something fierce.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nice ad for tearoffs.

I love the guy going to pass and hitting the tree. Are you in any of the shots?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Not this time. I was busy dwelling in a hole at the bottom of a puddle.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I'm racing my first rally tomorrow and I took a class yesterday. The teacher was riding an Aprilia RXV 5.5 so you know everything he said was correct. Also, holy poo poo his bike rips. There was another instructor there who'd finished Dakar this year and he brought his rally bike with him. It was also pretty incredible. It was mostly riding, but here are the notes I took on going fast enough n the hope they're helpful for someone else. Mostly it's stuff folks know, but still doesn't hurt to refresh.

Suspension in sand
Rebound up rear
Compression up front

Vision
Don't look down - look forward
Head up until you're on the ground

if something looks gnarly, slow down before you get to it and then accelerate through.

Use camber as a berm

Look at shoulders of road and trees for how they're curving and where there are openings
Downhill, look through trees

Weight Forward for throttle, back for brake
Feet on pegs = weight to turn
Sitting, on top, forward on the bike before you turn

Stand up braking - head up, crouch and shift weight back

Panic brake in sand, lock rear, modulate front

Sitting braking - lean back, upright. Shifting forward as you finish stopping but before you turn

If you're catching someone, you're faster. Time it so you can get by them quickly and safely so you're catching them on an open space at speed and blow by them.
Look ahead to set up, just a matter of timing.

If you're slower, try to make yourself predictable. Just don't be erratic.
Let them go by and follow their lines and you'll get faster.

Adjust your speed prior to the ruts so you can either maintain or accelerate through them. If you decelerate in, then front goes down and makes it worse.

Tulips - distance is cumulative, not per segment.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
good luck man i'd have gone but it's too expensive and i have a court date next week to rape my wallet

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Yeah, good luck, definitely want to hear how it goes.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
That was great. I cannot recommend it enough to everyone. Here's a very brief video of the winner and guy who taught the class beforehand on his aprilia. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG2u_xCOA9o you can get a little idea of how fast he is if you watch him as he's coming through the trees. It's ridiculous.

Anyway, it's a lot of fun, the people are nice and you get to go sliding around corners at 90 750 60 ok, fine, 50 45. The format is pretty interesting as well and can be the cause of some initial confusion. You get a time card and an assigned minute to start. You start at your assigned time. You then have a transit time to get to the special stage. You have to check in within the minute that is your time + the allotted transit time. If you check in early, you are penalized three minutes. If you check in late you are penalized thirty seconds for each minute late. So you check in on time and your checkin time is written on your time card, then you move forward to wait your turn to start. Your start time is written on the time card and off you go. Then at the end they record the time when you cross the line. It's a flying finish so you keep it WOT until you cross, then there's plenty of room to slow down. Except in one stage. Then you get that time marked and off you go on transit to the next special stage. The time you have to check in for the next special stage is the allotted stage time (longer by three-ten minutes than what it actually took you) plus the allotted transit time so there can be a fair amount of riding over to the next stage and then waiting for five minutes. That's actually nice because you can use the time to fix anything that got busted up or use the restroom or just relax and come down from riding as fast as you can for ten-twenty minutes. There are a few services sprinkled throughout the day when you get to watch rally cars come in with fenders hanging off, wheels with no tires or engines that are barely alive, all while you fill up and, if you're feeling ambitious, clean your chain. At the end of the day, you add up your special stage times + penalties and that's your finishing order.

It's definitely not cheap. Early entry is ~$250 and there's probably another $100 in licenses you need, + a physical and then you have to get there. You can camp, which helps a lot as the other big expense is hotel. Other than that, it's not too bad, and it's well worth it. Having gone to cornerspin was incredibly helpful, but didn't stop me from crashing four times - three times from my front washing out in the sand as I was braking, once from going wide on a turn, getting up on the little wall on the side (the road was sort of cut a few feet down into the ground in that spot) and then trying to jump down and having my tires slip down and that combined with the bumps meant I got shot off onto my shoulder which is still a little sore but should be fine in a week or two. The other thing that was crazy that happened was I put on fresh MX31s for the race and by the end of the day on the rear the center knobbies were gone and the middle-outside were triangular from being worn down and chunked so much. Great grip while they worked, but by the end I could feel the rear tire wobbling from side to side until one of the sides bit. It certainly didn't help and, I think, contributed to my crashing twice in the last stage but probably only like 30% with the rest just being tired and going too fast for the third crash and then the last one was pushing while still shaken up from the prior crash.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

good stuff, post lots of pictures dork

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

good stuff, post lots of pictures dork

Somebody else's video but that's me at 3:54 in on the beta. https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=KBM3TptieGA

Here's another of me.

And here's the guy who raced Dakar with his rally bike.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Anyway, anyone used these or have thoughts on them?

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1049/47066/SKF-Fork-Mud-Scraper-Kit

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Picked up an '01 CR85 for my roommate for $150. Good cases, good everything more or less just missing a few bits and pieces. The sad thing is that I'll probably have this back together before I get to my 125.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

First local moto yesterday. Only me and a buddy showed up.

Sprint Enduros start next saturday at the Southwick national track. Woo!