Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

After suffering a surprise attack early on that nearly took my second city, I took the last civ on my landmass literally 1 turn before I met one of the 4 unknown civs from the other areas. Yay for sneaking by with no warmongering history. I razed a few cities that I felt were in bad spots or to close to other cities, so it would have been bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

flatluigi posted:

Yeah, jeez, they really should add modding tools to the game already.

Not sure if this was :thejoke: but they just added "modding tools" that expand the ability to mod the game in virtually no way

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Gort posted:

Not sure if this was :thejoke: but they just added "modding tools" that expand the ability to mod the game in virtually no way

Yeah, the template for the new leader and civilization is more complicated than it needs to be. Also Modbuddy won't work unless you download 27 gigs of assets and point it to that folder.

So they made it take 27 more gigs of space to mod if you want to use their tools that don't add anything.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I really want to make a custom civ too. I have the coding ability, just not the knowledge to navigate what they do.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like a lot of the stuff with the newer civs but they seriously keep in this trend of giving newer additions good but OP abilities (when compared to the original cast). They should just make each civ more powerful as they are with Australia.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Jastiger posted:

I like a lot of the stuff with the newer civs but they seriously keep in this trend of giving newer additions good but OP abilities (when compared to the original cast). They should just make each civ more powerful as they are with Australia.

I dunno. There are some that feel kinda weak (India's never stuck out as partially strong to me) but Australia doesn't seem particularly overpowered and no one seems diminished by them.

My last game was as Russia and they're still the beasts for religious and tourism victories they've always been. Those Lavras poo poo out both religion and great writer/artist points like crazy.

As for the mod tools it's really a shame that both V and VI are such a massive step backwards from IV's "Yeah, everything is loving moddable from the beginning. Just reach into that code and mix things around." Heck, Firaxis even got it right as recent as XCOM 2.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why is the Aztec civ dlc showing as installed, enabled and everything except for having Aztecs in the game. I didn't buy anything for it, but it says I have it anyway?

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

SHISHKABOB posted:

Why is the Aztec civ dlc showing as installed, enabled and everything except for having Aztecs in the game. I didn't buy anything for it, but it says I have it anyway?

It's a civ that previously was only available to those who pre-ordered. Two months after release it was unlocked for everyone.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SHISHKABOB posted:

Aztec DLC is free since January I think; they were a pre-order exclusive for three months after release then were available to everyone. You not having them in-game is weird, though. Not sure what's up with that.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Did warmongering/diplomacy noticeably improve this patch?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It's hilarious to me that Australia's bonuses revolve around having massive food output and extra housing, allowing really tall cities, yet in reality we're a country known for having a tiny population spread out over a vast continent. (And a major hot button political topic is how ridiculously unaffordable it is to buy a house here)

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Oh Jesus, the patch isn't out yet for Mac and they're estimating mid-MARCH. Here's hoping they can do it in days rather than weeks, like last time.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Baron Porkface posted:

Did warmongering/diplomacy noticeably improve this patch?

AI can reasonably fight other AIs now. They're still clumsy as gently caress but they can do it. Not so much against players, but at least the intorduction of walls doesn't spell the effective end of AI conquest.

Also the diplomacy seems a bit more reasonable. AIs are more likely to either be your friends or hate you forever, one or the other. You'll actually get DoFs and Alliances semi-regularly (and alliances now share maps which is awesome). You'll still get the occasional crazy dude (I'm looking you Harald, who only cares how many boats I have).

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Alliances share maps, it is really cool. And playing a team game with my wife, I was making AI friends left and right. Something has changed.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Peas and Rice posted:

Oh Jesus, the patch isn't out yet for Mac and they're estimating mid-MARCH. Here's hoping they can do it in days rather than weeks, like last time.

Bill Gates wins again

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Peas and Rice posted:

Someone needs to find the release manager at Firaxis and beat them with a stick until they start coordinating releases with their partners. Y'know, like every other company can manage to do.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lol barbarians still spawn if they are unhappy and are basically free defense troops for them. What a stupid mechanic.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Jastiger posted:

Lol barbarians still spawn if they are unhappy and are basically free defense troops for them. What a stupid mechanic.

I really, really hope there is a proper revolution mechanic in the next expansion. Moving the happiness from global to local is a good set up for such a thing since the region the resistance comes from won't be a die roll.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Human Crouton posted:

I really, really hope there is a proper revolution mechanic in the next expansion. Moving the happiness from global to local is a good set up for such a thing since the region the resistance comes from won't be a die roll.

I agree. There is no reason another aspect of the game can't be a revolution/espionage system that is far more robust.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Alkydere posted:

AI can reasonably fight other AIs now. They're still clumsy as gently caress but they can do it. Not so much against players, but at least the intorduction of walls doesn't spell the effective end of AI conquest.

Also the diplomacy seems a bit more reasonable. AIs are more likely to either be your friends or hate you forever, one or the other. You'll actually get DoFs and Alliances semi-regularly (and alliances now share maps which is awesome). You'll still get the occasional crazy dude (I'm looking you Harald, who only cares how many boats I have).

Does everyone still super baby hate you if you take one city in a defensive war?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Baron Porkface posted:

Does everyone still super baby hate you if you take one city in a defensive war?

Everyone still super baby hates you if you do anything short of click Retire on the first turn, just burn everything, grind your opponents into dust, and if they complain...

... bring back the "don't contact us anymore" mechanic from civ 3

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

My own experience following the patch is that the AI does seem to be more willing to make friends now and as long as the warmonger penalties are acquired early on they'll decay fairly quickly.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 26, 2017

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

What was one of the first twenty uploads to the brand new Workshop: of course, Hitler. I don't know why but it never fails to amuse me that for each new Civ game and workshop it's like a loving worldwide race to see who can get a Hitler civ up and going first.

I see one of the first entries was a new religion too: Kekism!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Crazy Ted posted:

What was one of the first twenty uploads to the brand new Workshop: of course, Hitler. I don't know why but it never fails to amuse me that for each new Civ game and workshop it's like a loving worldwide race to see who can get a Hitler civ up and going first.

Not only Hitler, but OP Hitler with every unique ability and unit of other civs.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Not only Hitler, but OP Hitler with every unique ability and unit of other civs.

Done by a literal Nazi.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Crazy Ted posted:

Can your Hitler mod withstand the test of time?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Someone should put in a 'richard spencer' great general that has a -10 to all melee units globally.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

Which means the PBEM games are broken nonetheless, right? We can't play until we all have the same version, I suppose.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Well it would definitely take a lot more time and effort to make it carefully balanced.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Why is there not a Restart option yet that rerolls map generation, like Civ 5 had?

On top of that, why can't I save my advanced create-game options? They reset to default every time.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Why is there not a Restart option yet that rerolls map generation, like Civ 5 had?

On top of that, why can't I save my advanced create-game options? They reset to default every time.

Yeah, this still bugs me too.

Such an easy pair of QoL fixes that I can't believe Firaxis has to be beaten over the head to remember.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Do you want a restart button like in civ 5? Then download this mod, and note that you have to overwrite a file in the Civ 6 folder and not place it in the normal mod directory. *May not be updated yet for this latest patch, so I'm not 100% sure if it still works.

Also the answer to every QoL issue with Civ 6 is answered by googling Civ 6 thing you want and hoping someone made a mod for it, because Firaxis doesn't have to care since we keep giving them money anyways.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Guys seriously. The bitterness is bordering on self parody.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The trouble I see from the tech boosting in a team. So, it gives you the boost if your teammate does it. Not the instatech like older civs.

However, this now encourages the team to always go for a different tech. If every teammate is not studying a different tech, it is a wasted effort. Make sense? Or am I fundamentally misunderstanding?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I think my question is, does a teammate researching a tech count as an Eureka or a separate boost? If the latter, then yes, it's worth researching different techs.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Is there an option to disable the hex/terrain tool tip pop-ups? They are frequently popping up and obscuring the notification tabs on the right side of the interface. I have the tooltip settings turned to 2 seconds which is the max bit that doesn't appear to do anything.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

McKracken posted:

Is there an option to disable the hex/terrain tool tip pop-ups? They are frequently popping up and obscuring the notification tabs on the right side of the interface. I have the tooltip settings turned to 2 seconds which is the max bit that doesn't appear to do anything.

There's weird delays on everything, really. The notification tabs are very very fiddly about whether or not they'll show the expanded tooltip when you hover on them. And there's really no reason that hovering on them should also trigger terrain popups -- the notification tabs should be 'opaque' to the cursor.

I'm still annoyed that leader screens have s l o w fade-ins for the buttons, and that half the exchanges you get load an animation, then fade out and fade another animation in, THEN finally fade in the buttons. It's so unnecessarily slow.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm still annoyed that leader screens have s l o w fade-ins for the buttons, and that half the exchanges you get load an animation, then fade out and fade another animation in, THEN finally fade in the buttons. It's so unnecessarily slow.

Yeah, I just disabled the leader animations entirely because of that.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mash the escape key when other leaders show up to gripe and it'll bypass most of the animations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Vahakyla posted:

The trouble I see from the tech boosting in a team. So, it gives you the boost if your teammate does it. Not the instatech like older civs.

However, this now encourages the team to always go for a different tech. If every teammate is not studying a different tech, it is a wasted effort. Make sense? Or am I fundamentally misunderstanding?

In previous games the team always went for the same tech, so it's the same but different.