Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/6010004228.html

I should buy this right? 911, check, coupe, check, ugly as sin, oh yeah, $6,000. What could go wrong, nothing! I wish it was closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Elephanthead posted:

I should buy this right? 911, check, coupe, check, ugly as sin, oh yeah, $6,000. What could go wrong, nothing! I wish it was closer.

Wow, I don't think 911's in the UK get into that state.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Wow that thing looks loving spent. That's a parts car/beater. Where the hell is the oil fill tube? :iiam:

I suppose you could buy it, drive it for a while and then part it out. If the motor is good it's basically worth the purchase price right there.

Jymmybob posted:

There's some crazy pricing variations because they're pretty rare and the price scales crazy hard with color, condition, and option rarity. There's a couple hardcore guys who run a registry and can pretty much say where the majority of driving 968s are in the US.
Yeah, and that one I linked to was actually at the Porsche dealer, which isn't helping matters either. It should be about a $15K CDN car.

quote:

3) Full sand and repaint in signal green. Black on black is the most common and if I'm going to fix the dents/scuffs it'll need some paint so might as well make it pleasing
That's a fair amount of coin to do well/properly. Sure you want to do that? Keeping it black is pretty safe and to be honest I think they look great in black. :shobon:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 20, 2017

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Don't forget the air inlet spoiler classy

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I can't imagine a car that looks like that has had anything resembling an owner that cared for it or properly maintained it in any shape or form.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

"condition: good"

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Wow that thing looks loving spent. That's a parts car/beater. Where the hell is the oil fill tube? :iiam:

I suppose you could buy it, drive it for a while and then part it out. If the motor is good it's basically worth the purchase price right there.

Yeah, and that one I linked to was actually at the Porsche dealer, which isn't helping matters either. It should be about a $15K CDN car.

That's a fair amount of coin to do well/properly. Sure you want to do that? Keeping it black is pretty safe and to be honest I think they look great in black. :shobon:

We have an in house restoration shop with the ability to do frame off restorations so at worst it'd cost me the materials, otherwise I would do paintless dent removal, touch ups, and buffing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I don't think I could drive a torque converter Porsche. A PDK one, maybe.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I need something the wife can drive for days when I steal her minivan to drive around half the office. I haven't seen a PDK 911 for sale for under 30k my limit for dumb cars that are useless.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

I need something the wife can drive for days when I steal her minivan to drive around half the office. I haven't seen a PDK 911 for sale for under 30k my limit for dumb cars that are useless.

Yeah, it'll be probably 2 years until some accident history or high mile PDKs are in that range. Consider a B8 S4 with the DCT as an alternate fun car though because I loved mine and with the basic tune it's painfully fast while being comfortable and practical. I guess a PDK Cayman should get getting into that range by now though.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

kimbo305 posted:

I don't think I could drive a torque converter Porsche. A PDK one, maybe.

They are genuinely horrendous, a friend of a friend bought a brand new 997 Turbo on the day of release, was somehow convinced by the salesperson that tiptronic was the way to go, ruined the car, he hated driving it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The only Tip I've ever driven was actually a 968, but I can't imagine castrating a 911, let alone a 911 Turbo with one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The monochrome Martini is genius:
http://bringatrailer.com/2017/02/19/transsyberia-rally-tribute-1978-porsche-911-safari/

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
what kind of monster would repaint a gulf blue 911 into some dumb dark blue http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-porsche-911-coupe/

edit: even worse, black

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 21, 2017

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What would you 996 guys offer on this?

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/6002050040.html

Owner seems reasonable and is selling to accumulate more sand rails/guns/other family stuff. I'm generally shooting for a 997 but think this might be a cheaper way to try on 911 ownership. Current ask in the body of the post is 17,5. I'm thinking 15?

blk fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 23, 2017

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Jymmybob posted:

what kind of monster would repaint a gulf blue 911 into some dumb dark blue http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-porsche-911-coupe/

edit: even worse, black

Oh god the more you read into that, the bigger the trainwreck it becomes

Miata windshield...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

blk posted:

What would you 996 guys offer on this?

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/6002050040.html

Owner seems reasonable and is selling to accumulate more sand rails/guns/other family stuff. I'm generally shooting for a 997 but think this might be a cheaper way to try on 911 ownership. Current ask in the body of the post is 17,5. I'm thinking 15?

Looks solid. I think $15 would be a good deal.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

MrChips posted:

Oh god the more you read into that, the bigger the trainwreck it becomes

Miata windshield...

I assume it's only ever driven in perfect weather as the seller has neglected to show any pictures with the top up (does it even have one?)

And what's with the whole 65 / 66 debate in the comments, some major difference between those two years?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Bajaha posted:

I assume it's only ever driven in perfect weather as the seller has neglected to show any pictures with the top up (does it even have one?)

And what's with the whole 65 / 66 debate in the comments, some major difference between those two years?

:spergin: especially considering how hacked up that car it.

The windshield so bad and I bet they can't put top up because the profile is so different.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

slidebite posted:

Looks solid. I think $15 would be a good deal.

Be aware it has a 2003 IMS bearing. It will not have the 1999 dual row.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

Yeah, it's definitely not ideal. My understanding is that some 99s are not susceptible to borescoring either, but that you need the engine number to determine that.

There's a similar car priced at 14

Here's the cheapest original I've seen but the description is somewhat suspect.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Closed at 40k. MAD!
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-porsche-911-coupe/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That looks horrible.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

I can understand the investment value if restored but I wonder if the guy who had the windshield chopped knew how terrible it would come out.

Also if you want to see MAD then take a gander http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-ford-f150/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Whoops......

'04 turbo, stacks of dealer records to 70k, 86k but needs it's 80k service.

It followed me home, I swear.

It really fits in next to the 944 that I DD.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Motronic posted:

Whoops......

You bought the two Porsches that saved Porsche!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Elephanthead posted:

Oh sure, but even so it's got reasonable, but not crazy low miles and I'd take that IMS bearing lottery odds any day.

Motronic posted:

Whoops......

Congrats man. Genuinely curious to hear about it.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

blk posted:

You bought the two Porsches that saved Porsche!

Vanity plate ideas abound! :)

blk, even with the engine replacement that 996 ticks a lot of boxes for me. I love the dark blue/tan combo. It really is such a bummer the engine is replaced.

Test drive that one to set a base line, then buy this one because it's a better buy (and still has a cool color combo): https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ctd/5994199714.html

Actually for me, the red interior is even better than tan, but I know that I'm the car guy equivalent of a foot fetishist or something when it comes to funky car interiors.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Mat_Drinks posted:

blk, even with the engine replacement that 996 ticks a lot of boxes for me. I love the dark blue/tan combo. It really is such a bummer the engine is replaced.

Test drive that one to set a base line, then buy this one because it's a better buy (and still has a cool color combo): https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ctd/5994199714.html

Actually for me, the red interior is even better than tan, but I know that I'm the car guy equivalent of a foot fetishist or something when it comes to funky car interiors.

That 996 owns, colorful interiors are the best interiors but then again I have a sienna interior in the Jeep and my wife's Macan interior is red/black. There's one guy on 6speed that collects the weirdest paint to sample cars who bought that Dolphins/Hurricanes themed orange/green 996 from a few months ago which was probably a good buy.

That's a nice price for a low miles 99 although the GT2-style bumper is eehhh and the turbo style rear bumper is weird but I didn't see it still listed in their inventory so it's probably sold.

Motronic posted:

Whoops......

So is it the new DD or the weekend car?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

Whoops......

Hmm. I don't really like them, but they're becoming available at prices that seem like a hell of a lot of car for the money. Be interested to see what they're like to live with.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mat_Drinks posted:

I could live with the red interior, but that body kit doesn't look right.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 25, 2017

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jymmybob posted:

So is it the new DD or the weekend car?

Of course it's the DD for now because I just got it, but it's not gonna stay that way. I'll go back to the 944 and this will be for towing/hunting/camping/light wheeling like the rover it's replacing. When I burn off this set of tires I'll be putting BFGs on these wheels and potentially picking up another set (probably 20s) for some nice summers.

InitialDave posted:

Hmm. I don't really like them, but they're becoming available at prices that seem like a hell of a lot of car for the money. Be interested to see what they're like to live with.

I never really liked them either, and I still think it looks like a Hyundai Santa Fe from every direction other than the front, which looks like someone butchered an extra few inches of grill onto a 996.

Since this is the turbo, it's pretty loaded so the interior is very nice. Full leather everything, heated seats (even the rear), rear AC, etc. Worst part is having a PCM 2.1. No bluetooth, not even an AUX jack, so that thing has got to go.

I've driven a base model (meh) and an S (kinda fun for an SUV). Driving this thing is just mental. There is absolutely no reason it should go this fast with how heavy it is. I can't keep my foot out of the noisy pedal.

Some turbo lag, but I understand you can cut that about in half by straight piping the secondary cats. So that's on the list for this spring/summer.

Also, no need to lift it since it has air suspension and something ridiculous like 10" of travel. I couldn't find one with the advanced offroad package so no factory rear locker but it does have a low speed transfer case and center diff lock. And onboard air. Unfortunately it has the "premium" sound system (Bose) so there's no second battery under the spare tire. Instead it's a big dumb subwoofer. At some point I may rip all the bose poo poo out and put in a second battery, but as I understand it if you just pull out the sub the system sound like rear end, which isn't a surprise with the way Bose does things. This is a reasonably expensive proposition to do right, because all of the door speakers would have to be replaced with something decent and I'd need to put in a replacement amp. While I'm definitely not an audiophile, I'd like it to be at least respectable, and I definitely don't feel like I need a sub if I have proper door speakers.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 26, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

No bluetooth, not even an AUX jack, so that thing has got to go.
Any aftermarket options? I've used those boxes that plug into the changer port in the past, and they're pretty good.

Edit: TBH, what would put me off one is the potential for ridiculous bills if something shits the bed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Any aftermarket options? I've used those boxes that plug into the changer port in the past, and they're pretty good.

Edit: TBH, what would put me off one is the potential for ridiculous bills if something shits the bed.

Tons of aftermarket. I've already ordered something.

Yes, the potential large bill if something shits is exactly why a $120,000 truck is worth $15k private party 12 years later. This is kinda what I do, so I'm used to it. Would not own things like this if I didn't do my own work, and also wouldn't own only ONE thing like this (being in a hurry to get parts is a great way to spend WAY too much money).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

Yes, the potential large bill if something shits is exactly why a $120,000 truck is worth $15k private party 12 years later. This is kinda what I do, so I'm used to it. Would not own things like this if I didn't do my own work, and also wouldn't own only ONE thing like this (being in a hurry to get parts is a great way to spend WAY too much money).
That's pretty much my philosophy too.

Related: It really annoys anti-EV people when they bring up a shortcoming of current tech, and your response is "Well, just drive one of your other cars".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Related: It really annoys anti-EV people when they bring up a shortcoming of current tech, and your response is "Well, just drive one of your other cars".

It also seemed to annoy several tree hugging prius drivers who don't like what I drive (sports cars, V8 SUVs) when I reminded them that I'm likely more eco-friendly then they are because I drive used things, maintain them well and drive them for a long time while they're out getting new cars every 3 years and it really doesn't matter how efficient the vehicle is at that point - it still has to be built.

I mean, come on...my DD is 32 years old. I think I'm getting every last bit out of that thing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

It also seemed to annoy several tree hugging prius drivers who don't like what I drive
GOOD.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Mat_Drinks posted:

Hey buddy, good to hear from ya!

I drove the blue/tan today and goddamn was it a clean car. Definitely the cleanest and tightest 996 I've driven of 3. I liked the options combo (active exhaust mod, NO BOSE, m030 european suspension package, upgraded lights, sport seats, newer 18s). It's pretty much exactly the way I'd want a 996 configured other than the color, and it came with about 5 inches of receipts from 2 owners, plus current seller who bought it when he moved here 6 months ago and is selling to buy a fleet of ATVs.

What's holding me back: I'm not sure i want a 996 over a 997 ( it is 10-15k cheaper for essentially the same car, but I'm a styling dork), it's narrow body, he's firm at 17.5, and the engine has about 60k on it which I presume means clutch is coming up soon, which also means my opportunity to replace the IMS comes up soon, and those jobs are of the caliber where I'd pay someone else to do them. I'm not sure what the combined while-you're-in-there work would come to $$$ wise, but it might break the value proposition for this particular car if I reach 20 out of pocket. Ima call my shop on Monday.

I used to love silver on red cars but for some reason they don't do it for me anymore. Not sure about the bodykit either.

I think if I want a 996 it will have to be 15k or under and/or have the replacement bearing already installed. A give-no-fucks cheap 911 I could beat on would be amazing.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
That's really a pretty good car at 17.5k and while it might not seem worth it, you could at least use it as a trial run and sell it for the same amount pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Jymmybob posted:

That's really a pretty good car at 17.5k and while it might not seem worth it, you could at least use it as a trial run and sell it for the same amount pretty easily.

You think so? I don't really know the market for 996s since everyone I know thumbs their noses at them. My general impression is that engine replacements and IMS fears tend to turn people off; plus a year of mileage on the car would put me near or at six digit odometer readings. That said, it is a really clean example of the model, and if I don't buy it a long distance buyer will following scheduled PPI on Tuesday. If I could comfortably get out of it for what I put in it, I would do it.