Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The GoRiders should be supporting characters from various Kamen Rider shows and movies.

Have pink turn out to be Mayu Tachibana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/Evilspacewhale/status/834604870904774656

Oh my god I forgot about Legacy Rider forms in the Ex-Aid aesthetic.

Okay but where's Kuuga.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Okay but where's Kuuga.

He's still partying with Decade.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Okay but where's Kuuga.

Right here:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Man raw really is the only way to watch Agito. Neither TVN or GomenRider can go a single episode without messing up a line so bad it completely changes the intent of the conversation. Oh well, at least GomenRider is decent quality and softsubbed.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

hiiro
no

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think those two things are very similar at all!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Hiiro is rapidly coming around the circle into "actually the best character" territory :allears:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

That is the most hilarious recolor of DoreMiFa Beat. :allears:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
It's weird going from Kuuga where the police were cool and even the superiors were capable of making good decisions to Agito where there's one group of good and cool police and the rest of them are constantly looking for the best way to wreck everything.

Edit: Agito makes me want to watch Higurashi no Naku koro ni where people named Hojo get regularly murdered.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 26, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Getsuya posted:

It's weird going from Kuuga where the police were cool and even the superiors were capable of making good decisions to Agito where there's one group of good and cool police and the rest of them are constantly looking for the best way to wreck everything.

It's weird going from Kuuga to Agito

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
one thing that struck me about going from kuuga to agito is that kuuga looks really deeply into Godai, why he does anything that he does, why he decides to fight, etc. Shoichi just runs off, becomes Agito, kills the monsters, and then goes home, doesn't know how he does that, doesn't know why he fights, doesn't know what he's fighting and where they came from, doesn't know who he is, just does it. He is Kamen Rider ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in kuuga, dedicated public servants stepped up to face an unprecedented new threat. in agito, the threat was no longer new and wretched bureaucrats had had a few years to get in everywhere and mess things up.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
True. Also the death count for each incident in Kuuga was way higher.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

I despise Ex-Aid's Legend Rider designs but this one actually kinda works.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

one thing that struck me about going from kuuga to agito is that kuuga looks really deeply into Godai, why he does anything that he does, why he decides to fight, etc. Shoichi just runs off, becomes Agito, kills the monsters, and then goes home, doesn't know how he does that, doesn't know why he fights, doesn't know what he's fighting and where they came from, doesn't know who he is, just does it. He is Kamen Rider ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And he doesn't really care. To paraphrase a friend of mine, the fundamental problem of Shouichi is he's the protagonist in a mystery-based plot who doesn't care about the mystery and rarely interacts with it early on. Also, there's the time he randomly quality assaults G3 in the second episode for no explainable reason.

Also, a sub of the Kamen Rider Brave special with Takashi Hagino reprising his role as Asakura/KR Ouja is out. It's really bad, makes no sense and gets weirdly slashery with female victims. The writing is like someone fed all of Asakura's dialogue into a chatbot in how he just talks in arbitrarily placed Ryuki quotes. The actor at least tries though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
shouichi was kind of a dumbass, but that wasn't all on him. he had fought a few monsters, and then what looked like another monster showed up. how was he supposed to know the cops had a powered suit?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Gah wtf! Did they switch directors suddenly on ep 20 of Agito? All of the sudden it's got these weird twitchy zooming shots and like comic zooms of character faces. I mean they did comic zooms of the kids before but now it's doing them like constantly. This is getting too zany for me. Especially right on the heels of the extremely serious and dramatic buddy cop story from the last episode.

... oh, maybe that's why. Maybe they thought it was getting too grimdark and decided to throw in some zany to lighten things up again. I dunno.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Agito is a goddamn mess and I only cut it as much slack as I do because I love the G3 and Hojo is really easy to love to hate.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

shouichi was kind of a dumbass, but that wasn't all on him. he had fought a few monsters, and then what looked like another monster showed up. how was he supposed to know the cops had a powered suit?

It's hard to tell, given we really never get an idea what's going on in Shouichi's head there. He certainly never thinks about it or feels bad later.

I'm also unclear on how much they'd have seen each other in that fight fighting the Unknown, but I just did a quick skim of it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he does his solid best to never think about anything, so that isn't exactly out of character

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also he explicitly knows when people are being attacked

But most of the time he just stays at home doing random poo poo that doesn't matter. Meaning every time some one is murdered, you can actually blame the hero for not getting there in time since he SOME HOW always knows.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he does his solid best to never think about anything, so that isn't exactly out of character

...you have a point. It doesn't reflect well on him though.

Xarbala posted:

Agito is a goddamn mess and I only cut it as much slack as I do because I love the G3 and Hojo is really easy to love to hate.

Agito is a mess and I love G3 and Gills and the sheer absurdity of the rest of it. I do genuinely like Hojo because my impression of him is that he's genuinely trying to be a nice guy and failing... because he's got a Charisma of 3, and everything comes off the opposite as he intends it, combined with an ego the size of a school bus. It also helps he's got that good focus episode on him and his mentor showing him in the end to at least working his best to be a good cop.

Burkion posted:

Also he explicitly knows when people are being attacked

But most of the time he just stays at home doing random poo poo that doesn't matter. Meaning every time some one is murdered, you can actually blame the hero for not getting there in time since he SOME HOW always knows.

Everytime he shows up, it's too late to help the victims, too. He's so bad at it. I believe another friend of mine summed it up as at any point:
G3: Fighting desperately outgunned by monsters and in the dark with questionable superiors.
Gills: Dealing with powers trying to kill him and find meaning in his life.
Agito: Taking a cooking class and having housewives swoon over him with no relation to the plot.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
Agito: Good eats, smooth poops

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
The main problem with Agito, other than... everything about it, is that nothing actually happens. And yeah this problem is shared by all the Rider shows, to a certain extent. But when something does happen, around episode 30 if my memoryintuition serves me, Shouichi snaps out of his amnesia and gets plot-dumped on then immediately falls back into the amnesia for no real reason.

Only thing I could do at that point was laugh. Laughing in disbelief at what just happened. It was meant to be serious too, which... fucl

For me Agito is salvaged by three things: unintentional humor (mostly from Ryo's absurdly lovely life, and the hackneyed writing), actual humor (Hikawa and Shouichi's... psychological discussions, them playing tennis, etc), and this loving thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is it just me, or is basically everything in OG-Heisei (as opposed to Neo-Heisei) really janky? Like it took ten years for them to stop trying to be Showa Kamen Rider But Selling Toys and finally settle into their own thing.

Eh. I think Supernova is the second-best piece of music made for KR period (behind Reverse Re:Birth and just ahead of Ranbu Escalation) and I'm still never going to try watching Kiva again. :shrug:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

I hope Blue is Hiroshi Miyauchi. I don't care how.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kamen Rider Black RX might have my Favorite theme song of ALL of them.

WAKE UP THE HERO!

It's still a hot garbage show.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Black RX's theme is SO. GOOD.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Is it just me, or is basically everything in OG-Heisei (as opposed to Neo-Heisei) really janky? Like it took ten years for them to stop trying to be Showa Kamen Rider But Selling Toys and finally settle into their own thing.
Everything? Nooooo. After Ryuki they already had their new "formula" ready. The only one that stands out is Hibiki, and that's because Hibiki ironically didn't resonate well with the audience, getting the show retooled (and turned into poo poo).

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Burkion posted:

WAKE UP THE HERO!

kabuto is the best kamen rider and anything you like sux

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

WAKE UP THE HERO!

Yeah, I won't deny the themes (both the opening and ending honestly) are great but the show, as I've said before, is only slightly better than its American counterpart at best. In fact, aside from Kotoro being the main character and Shadow Moon showing up for a few episodes the series has almost no connection to its (much better) predecessor at all. Hell, Kamen Rider Stronger (another good show that has almost no filler) was a better end to the Showa era than this.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 26, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

RealFoxy posted:

weird way to spell w bitch

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I haven't watched any other sentai shows (I've always just been interested in Kamen Rider) but I saw the Kyuuranger opening last night and now I feel like I need to watch it. It looks really fun.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Kyuuranger has the seeds of something good that we're currently waiting to see if it will sprout.

If you want to see a Sentai that's finished and is good, I would go with last year's Zyuogher or 2013-2014's Kyoryuger.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RealFoxy posted:

Kabuto'sa the best until like episode 18 where their lead actress fell ill and the story had to spin its wheels in the most insane ways for nearly 40 episodes.

Best suit design though.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I was reading through some sentai wikis looking at which ranger series I might like and I guess there's one based on angels and trading cards? Those are two of my favorite things! How is Goseiger?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How much do you like new toys

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Getsuya posted:

I was reading through some sentai wikis looking at which ranger series I might like and I guess there's one based on angels and trading cards? Those are two of my favorite things! How is Goseiger?

Goseiger is a very average show overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Burkion posted:

How much do you like new toys

Zero

• Locked thread