Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Loel posted:

... lol, the Graisse boys are told to flee the hill, let the enemy take it, and then are told to charge right back up. :v:

They were not told to flee the hill. They were told to secure Graisse. And have used this firebase to good effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

my dad posted:

Does anyone know if the smaller howitzers need time to set up?

Because 2 of our cav chits can rush 2 howitzers, and have the slope protect them from the infantry and the machine guns.

Oh right. So we can.

The 10.5s moved last turn, so they wouldn't have had time to unlimber, and I'd be mighty disappointed to learn that Boche perfidy extends to 10.5s that can be moved while limbered when our forces can't even manage it for an 84.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

This isnt bad actually, the Graisse boys can get right into contact and scatter them further, and whatever Boche companies escape get hammered at the base of the hill by BEF.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The cavalry is crucial here. If those FKs aren't ordered to stop to fire, OR if the enemy wins initiative, we're guaranteed safe contact with two howitzer chits. And I suspect cavalry charging unprepared artillery ends well for the artillery.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Rough sketch orders for the lucky 99

Infantry and Arty shoot at all visible targets, do not leave trenches
Engineer move east to place barb wire in front of 55th Brigade's artillery
Not one step back

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Loel posted:

I still get a chuckle thinking about it :D

Can't you picture the memoirs....

edit: But yes, bayonet charge supported by the 155s means we have less terrain to cover under sight of the enemy guns. We can hope it disrupts them from taking Q.

The Grand old Duke of Mon Pere, he had ten thousand men
First he marched them up the hill
And he marched them down again
When you're up you're up
And when you're down you're down
And when you're only halfway up
You're neither up nor down!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

sullat posted:

The Grand old Duke of Mon Pere, he had ten thousand men
First he marched them up the hill
And he marched them down again
When you're up you're up
And when you're down you're down
And when you're only halfway up
You're neither up nor down!

I dunno, I think ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg might be better :v:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

General de Division Tebeka, at Livredepot Field Office

On the eastern flank, I'm thinking about ordering 120e to return to La Cote - they won't get anywhere useful before sundown now, and it might be nice to have that extra little bit of security in case the Boche get tricky.

52e and 53e are still going to head to Clemenceau to support whatever action happens there...

it's not quite as dramatic as the La Oeuf shuffle, but we must make do.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 26, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

If there is no one interested in volunteering for cavalry reserves I will put aside my fear and suspicion of horses to take command, having learnt now to BAYONET CHARGE THE MACHINE GUN.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The following rules are relevant to night operations.

One hour before total darkness, at 1930, the hill spotting rules will be suspended and spotting will only be possible at a maximum of 12" for any unit that does not fire.

At 2030, all units will spot only at 4" unless opening fire. The rule which does not allow close combat between unspotted units will be suspended; if units bump each other in the night, there will be close combat.

It is significantly harder to get a change of orders through at night, and there is a chance that units will lose their way and not move entirely as intended.

The game will advance at double speed after 2030 in eight-turn updates and halved deadlines where my schedule allows.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 26, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

e;f,dp

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Is there any benefit to letting the troops nap, or are they automatons that can march all day, fight all night with out any ill-effects other than the sudden case of being dead?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
These are the two possible plans the Germans may have.

1. Shift everything to the left. As in the brigade in Saint Croissant goes to La Oeuf and every other brigade shifts in to cover them.

2. All out push on the East front in the hope of breaking our army before we break theirs.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Hunt11 posted:

These are the two possible plans the Germans may have.

1. Shift everything to the left. As in the brigade in Saint Croissant goes to La Oeuf and every other brigade shifts in to cover them.

2. All out push on the East front in the hope of breaking our army before we break theirs.

I dont know what you mean unless there are arrows :ohdear:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Think they'll leave their positions? They just finished digging them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well half of our forces just did that.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Loel posted:

Think they'll leave their positions? They just finished digging them.

If they think that their gambit towards 4pouts will work, they will stay on the defensive. Because we're the ones in danger of an auto-lose. But if they fear that their gambit is about to fail, they may try to crack our lines. Nighttime would be a good time to try since our arty is going to be neutered.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
So, do we have a general (heh) concensus on bumrushing Dejeneur, with special focus on killing as much artillery as possible, before turning to attack Quatreprouts? Also, shoring up our defenses in the East with a backline of French berserkers?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

So, do we have a general (heh) concensus on bumrushing Dejeneur, with special focus on killing as much artillery as possible, before turning to attack Quatreprouts? Also, shoring up our defenses in the East with a backline of French berserkers?

:yeah:

Edit: Also, have our green Brigade roll on up to Faibleimpot and have breakfast ready by dawn.

Loel fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 26, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

General Mon Pere, Corps Commander

General Tebeka, reinforce our Eastern defense line at your discretion. Prepare for night-time assaults.

General Bacarrette, a hospital wagon is ready for you in case you received serious injuries. If you're still capable of performing your duties, please organize a full assault on Dejeneur, and then on Quatreprouts, with a high priority on the cavalry unit and the B.E.F. taking out enemy artillery. If you have the time, try to relay orders to the artillery reserve to probe for enemy presence in Faibleimpot, and take it if it's empty, or retreat to the trench if not.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

General de Division Tebeka, at Livredepot Field Office

In order of priority:

120e, return north of Baguende, stay within contact of 55e and entrench.

53e, move north-east of Clemenceau and entrench behind 99e.

52e, move north west and entrench between 55e and Bois de Baguette

55e, hold your position.

Division Command will remain at Livredepot overnight.

All Brigades: Protect each others flanks. If facing night attacks preserve your artillery. Night raids are not permitted.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
So, with nightfall reducing everybody's vision to 4", frontline artillery is at the risk of bungling into close combat without the chance to fight back..

At this point, it's not the worst thing in the world to lose attached artillery (Attached units don't count for the rout count), but it's something to be aware of.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Do we want to try and advance our lines under cover of darkness? Otherwise, yeah, I'll shift the arty into the second line of trenches.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

120th Reserve Brigade

Is to take these positions and defend. The MG and Brigade HQ will be nestled within the fortress of Baguende, while all the infantry occupy the outskirts in cover.

Ignore enemy units
Use rifle fire
Do not pursue
Fight to the last man

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

my dad posted:

General Mon Pere, Corps Commander

General Tebeka, reinforce our Eastern defense line at your discretion. Prepare for night-time assaults.

General Bacarrette, a hospital wagon is ready for you in case you received serious injuries. If you're still capable of performing your duties, please organize a full assault on Dejeneur, and then on Quatreprouts, with a high priority on the cavalry unit and the B.E.F. taking out enemy artillery. If you have the time, try to relay orders to the artillery reserve to probe for enemy presence in Faibleimpot, and take it if it's empty, or retreat to the trench if not.

Division HQ -- return to Clemenceau.

99th Brigade. Continue digging in -- make sure you have good artillery coverage to your north and west.

97th Brigade and 6th -- as soon as the BEF are neck and neck with you, Attack the Dejeunner ridge ASAP. I will leave it up to you if you want to bayonet charge the guns or make an attack with rifles. Either way, kill those drat guns.

BEF -- get into battle order as fast as possible and destroy the enemy forces on the Dejeunner Ridge.

Once Dejeunner is taken, then you must rush to Quatreprouts and hold it at all costs.

If these orders reach your on turn 3 or later, then rush to Quatreprouts and do not, I say again, do NOT attempt to take Dejeunner.

Reserve Brigade -- get your artillery in the southern edge of your trenches. Unless you hear countermanding orders from me, or unless your approach is covered by 3+ batteries of deployed enemy artillery -- then you are to assault the Dejeunner Ridge. As I said earlier, do not make an assault across open ground under heavy artillery fire. Move half of your men and your artillery to assault the northern flank of the Dejeunner Ridge to support the BEF and 97th's assault.

Also, send a company to scout Failblempot. Retreat if they take fire. Seize it if possible and hide inside the town.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 27, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Bacarruda posted:

Reserve Brigade -- get your artillery in the southern edge of your trenches. Unless you hear countermanding orders from me, or unless your approach is covered by 3+ batteries of deployed enemy artillery. Do not make an assault across open ground under heavy artillery fire. Move half of your men and your artillery to assault the northern flank of the Dejeunner Ridge to support the BEF and 97th's assault.

Also, send a company to scout Failblempot. Retreat if they take fire. Seize it if possible and hide inside the town.

Proposal: I dont think we can split Brigades, so do we want to sent the whole green brigade to Faibleimpot?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Loel posted:

Proposal: I dont think we can split Brigades, so do we want to sent the whole green brigade to Faibleimpot?

True enough.

Better not. Dejeunner is our priority.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
What's the timing here? Is there an approximate time I should be aiming for to begin assaulting the ridge, or should my men be marching as soon as I change the orders? Because I probably don't have a phone line through St Croissant and I'm definitely outside the 30" aura, the roll to succeed in the change of orders might be difficult, so it might be difficult to get the timing right for a coordinated assault.

It would take my men approximately an hour to get the guns into a position where they would be able to fire on the ridge, a little longer until they're in a formation where they could advance in force.

General Bacarruda, please select from the following options, keeping in mind the possible delay in changing orders and specifying the time to launch the assault if selecting scenario 2 and 3:

Scenario 1: I immediately march on the ridge and hope the timing all works out.
Scenario 2: My men get into artillery firing range of the ridge, and begin advancing at a certain time to synchronize with other brigades' assaults.
Scenario 3: My men stay where they are until a certain point, and then begin advancing on the ridge.
Scenario 4: I move only enough to provide artillery overwatch to the ridge, able to quickly move back to the trenches or march on Faibleimpot as the situation evolves.

Optional: The change of orders could be nightmarishly difficult, since every malus except the one about being in battle could apply. Please specify whether there is a time where my contribution to the assault on the ridge would come too late to be helpful, and if so, whether you would prefer my men stay where they are or march on Faibleimpot.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 27, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Tehan posted:

What's the timing here? Is there an approximate time I should be aiming for to begin assaulting the ridge, or should my men be marching as soon as I change the orders? Because I probably don't have a phone line through St Croissant and I'm definitely outside the 30" aura, the roll to succeed in the change of orders might be difficult, so it might be difficult to get the timing right for a coordinated assault.

It would take my men approximately an hour to get the guns into a position where they would be able to fire on the ridge, a little longer until they're in a formation where they could advance in force.

General Bacarruda, please select from the following options, keeping in mind the possible delay in changing orders and specifying the time to launch the assault if selecting scenario 2 and 3:

Scenario 1: I immediately march on the ridge and hope the timing all works out.
Scenario 2: My men get into artillery firing range of the ridge, and begin advancing at a certain time to synchronize with other brigades' assaults.
Scenario 3: My men stay where they are until a certain point, and then begin advancing on the ridge.
Scenario 4: I move only enough to provide artillery overwatch to the ridge, able to quickly move back to the trenches or march on Faibleimpot as the situation evolves.

Optional: The change of orders could be nightmarishly difficult, since every malus except the one about being in battle could apply. Please specify whether there is a time where my contribution to the assault on the ridge would come too late to be helpful, and if so, whether you would prefer my men stay where they are or march on Faibleimpot.

Wait one turn so you can get your guns far enough south to support your advance. Then go, go, go and push for the ridge top as fast as you can.

If you start taking artillery fire from 3+ guns, immediately fall back out of range and wait until the enemy guns are gone before you advance further.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The enemy artillery isn't even deployed yet. If the guys in Graisse, especially the cavalry, wait even a single turn, they will miss a chance we absolutely won't have again.

Sending the artillery reserve to attack Dejeneur is against my orders, for the record, but I can't do anything about it.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
:ohdear:

Général de Brigade Téhan II, Réservistes de Artillerie

Having hopefully received my orders in writing to defend myself from the inevitable court-martial after this engagement, I shall order my brigade to leave their nice, safe trenches that they went to all that effort to dig, form up in the following formation, and once everyone's lined up they will advance towards Dejeuner Ridge, firing upon any enemy spotted on the way. If the artillery are halted by the need to fire, the rest of the brigade will continue on without them until they too are within range of whatever the guns are firing at. Once nothing in the brigade is firing, the guns will catch up to the rest of the formation and they will continue on.

If, by some miracle, they reach the top of La Oeuf, they will turn towards the next nearest Boche in the quadrant (defined as anywhere both west of Toilettes-champs and south of Brioche) and advance under the same battle orders. If there are no more enemies within the quadrant, then they will take up this position atop the hill and await further orders:

Should the brigade come under fire from as many or more artillery pieces than the brigade has, or should they lose a half of their number or more, they will break off and fall back to their trenches to await further orders.

Standing orders:

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Halt and switch to Defend orders.
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Pursue
Break off automatically when: 1/2 casualties are taken

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:siren: 3 hours left to post orders :siren:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
97th Brigade

Everything but the machine gun charge up the hill and kill any Boche who seek to claim the hill. Priority goes to targeting artillery if possible.

Machine gun is to provide covering fire for the Brigade

Conditional Orders
Once hill is clear of the enemy then the brigade is to assume this formation whilst the machine gun moves up to offer support.

If the enemy is sighted in attack stance then they are to hold unless they have artillery
If the enemy has artillery then the brigade is to fall back behind the crest of La Ouef and then hold out.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Orders for the 55th:

Get some rest boys, could be a long night. Send runner to Baguende for several bottles of wine for my dinner. Don't get too comfortable in those trenches, though, we won't be staying in them for very long. Otherwise, keep on keeping on. Keep your eyes peeled, though, the Boche could storm out of Baguette at any time.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Well this should be exciting

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:frogsiren: ONE HOURS LEFT, POOOOOOOST! :frogsiren:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Orders to the 6e Cavalry

The continually updating last will and testament of General Dixième:

The cavalry and HQ are to charge those two artillery. The MG is to do whatever it can to fire in support of the charge. If I can avoid enemy MG fire by swinging farther West, the cav are to do so, however the charge is paramount. We must reach the guns. If, inexplicably, we survive, we are to attack any enemy artillery that can be reached without entering MG fields of fire, any artillery left unlimbered and any artillery left, in that order. If none of those apply, we will charge the 97th's target if it's charging/charged. If somehow we run out of enemies before men, I will join in any friendly unit's charge on Quatreprouts but will not launch the first attack on Quatreprouts or enter MG range of Quatreprouts before friendlies do so.

If the MG cannot fire this turn it is to move to the suburbs if that gives it a clear field of fire. If the suburbs don't give line of sight on any enemy targets, then the MG is to move with the 97th and support it by shooting its targets until it runs out of targets. If somehow the 97th ceases to be a viable combat unit, it is to join the BEF or closest friendly brigade if possible and support them. If it can join the reserve cavalry at any time and the rest of the 6e is gone, it is to do so.

Tell my mistresses that of them all, war is the only one I do not love or cherish.

Edited: changed MG orders

Edited: changed orders in case we somehow last through the battle for Dejeuner.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 27, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Your MGs can't shoot anything if they don't have contact with a chit outside of town. rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
EMERGENCY ORDERS, DIVISION LEVEL

Priorities list for the 22nd Division, in descending order, in case General Bacarrette doesn't post one:

Priority 1:
BEF and 6th cavalry
Priority 2:
97th brigade
Priority 3:
Artillery reserve
Priority 4:
99th brigade

• Locked thread