Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm more interested in Pete Slipper's hunch on that missing plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I'm the leg stealing varicose veins

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/child-bride-survivor-eman-sharobeem-has-assets-frozen-by-nsw-crime-commission-20170220-gugqxj.html

quote:

Eman Sharobeem's life story reads like an inspiring tale of overcoming the odds: forced into an arranged marriage to her first cousin as a teenager, then widowed at 29 with two young sons, having endured a violent 14-year marriage.

After emigrating from Egypt, she gained PhDs in Psychology, Management and Organisational Leadership, rising to become chief executive of the Immigrant Women's Health Service and earning a list of community honours for her work giving a voice to the underprivileged.

But now the prominent women's refugee advocate, domestic violence campaigner and Australian of the Year finalist has had her assets frozen by the powerful NSW Crime Commission following an investigation into "serious crime related activity" and her "unexplained wealth".

The Crime Commission has secured a restraining order in the NSW Supreme Court that requires Ms Sharobeem not to dispose of three Sydney properties it believes she owns and to disclose her financial interests.

The Supreme Court heard that after receiving a summary of evidence provided by the Independent Commission Against Corruption, the Crime Commission held "a suspicion that the defendant is engaged in serious crime-related activity or activities being the offences of obtaining a financial advantage or causing a financial disadvantage by deception".

"That is an offence punishable by imprisonment for five years involving fraud and accordingly falls within the definition of 'serious criminal offence'," Justice David Davies said in his judgment.

"I have read the summary of evidence document provided to the [Crime Commission] and I am satisfied that [the] suspicion that the offence or offences have been committed is reasonably held."

He ordered Ms Sharobeem and her sons Richard and Charlie to face examination in court.

Ms Sharobeem was chief executive of the Immigrant Women's Health Service in Fairfield for 11 years until 2015.

In June 2016, funding to the not-for-profit organisation from the NSW Health Department was suddenly cut

A spokesman for South Western Sydney Local Health District said at the time that the governance of the service was under investigation and the organisation was no longer in a position to provide services.

Hundreds of migrant women protested against the announcement of the closure, fearing they would have to vacate their "safe haven". Services have since been picked up by other providers.

Last year, Ms Sharobeem was appointed National Community Engagement Manager at broadcaster SBS. She did not respond to a message left on her SBS voicemail.

Her online CV at social media employment site LinkedIn says she holds a series of public offices including as a member of the multicultural advisory council to the NSW Department of Justice, an advisory board member at Multicultural NSW, and as an ambassador to the NSW Australia Day Council.

The court order freezing Ms Sharobeem's assets includes three properties, a car and a bank account. The orders were made on February 14 without prior warning. The matter returns to court in May.

One of the frozen properties is a four-bedroom house in Abbotsbury that was bought in September 2012 for $676,000. Property services company RPData says the median home price in Abbotsbury has risen more than 46 per cent in that time.

Contacted on Friday, Richard Sharobeem said: "I'd rather not discuss the topic."

Ms Sharobeem's life story has featured prominently in the media over recent years.

Ms Sharobeem has earned a long list of community accolades, including finalist for the NSW Premier's Woman of the Year Award and as a finalist in the local hero category of the Australian of the Year.

In a 2015 interview concerning a nomination for a community award, she said: "The work is a reward, and self-satisfaction is the payment."

In an interview with SBS last year, Ms Sharobeem reflected on her life: "If I would be back home, if I were to be in Egypt, I don't think I would have the same freedom and the same choices and the same abilities open for people," she said.

"And people are listening and other people are learning and I wouldn't have the courage to go out and say I was a victim and look at me now. I'm living a life of victory."

Hmmm

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mad Katter posted:

Also morbidly obese at 10
pls don't doxx me

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Somebody please post the That's Life magazine cover bit with the weird dog face on it that I taped to my fridge in like 2002 and then it found it's way onto the internet and now it weirds me out everytime I see it.

e. the dog is doing Chris Pratt face:

but it's a dog

e2. it might have been a different lifestyle magazine.

CATTASTIC fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 25, 2017

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Just read on my Facebook that the sky rail on the Frankston line has been defeated? By the looks of the age article it was too appease swing seats. These stations are so close to the water going down can't be a good idea. Tell me there's more than just house prices in the opposition. The opposition group claims noise pollution and "proper long term planning" are what they are worried about. Also "respect for local residence" which I read as house prices.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I would love queensland to cecede

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Well given the Great Barrier Reef's cactus there's no reason to hang onto it anyway

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I came across this article today, which outlines some experiences about the difficulties of being gifted. I honestly don't see many of these types of stories come up, and I always find things like this interesting because one of my areas of interest (amongst others) is psychological testing and assessment.

I could've written a big effort post about this using actual references, but it really boils down to that I agree that people should have access to an education which is both age and ability appropriate. I do have a couple of issues though, the big one being that psychological testing isn't cheap and that parents will sink an amazing amount of money into this kind of poo poo in order to prove that their kid is special or something. There are a ~lot~ of advocacy/support/whatever groups for gifted children (if you do a google search), as well as testing your kid for giftedness, which is weird given that it's a very small group of people by definition.

It's important to remember that being gifted is just as abnormal as being developmentally delayed (which isn't a bad thing, necessarily). We often forget this because being gifted is socially acceptable (generally).

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Tasmantor posted:

Just read on my Facebook that the sky rail on the Frankston line has been defeated? By the looks of the age article it was too appease swing seats. These stations are so close to the water going down can't be a good idea. Tell me there's more than just house prices in the opposition. The opposition group claims noise pollution and "proper long term planning" are what they are worried about. Also "respect for local residence" which I read as house prices.

I'd hazard a guess and say it's the government not wanting to make it an election issue. All the reports I read seemed to indicate that elevated rail was the best option (specifically for the Frankston line stations) and that the soil and ground water conditions make rail under road to be a pain in the rear end and expensive to maintain.

If the government was thinking creatively they'd build over the top of the underground rail then create new public open spaces and increased pedestrian/road connectivity while selling the rights to any left over land to developers that will comply with decently high affordable/social housing quotas.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Tasmantor posted:

No, that's exactly it. Elevated is a much better choice for those crossings on basically every metric but NIMBYs gonna nimby

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Ross Cameron quotes Gandhi while maintaining a Liberal rage

Former Liberal MP Ross Cameron is unrepentant after being suspended by the NSW Liberals for 4.5 years, declaring himself to be in open dissent against the party’s constitution.

Speaking on Sky News today, Mr Cameron said he was booted from the party because he supported reform within the NSW division and for his public claim in October that Mike Baird’s position as Premier had been threatened by the factions over his advocacy for greater democratisation of the state branch.

“I plead not guilty. And I am in a situation of conscientious dissent from the media regulation and opinion regulation provisions of the constitution of the NSW division of the Liberal Party,” Mr Cameron said.

“I believe it was Mahatma Gandhi who said there is no virtue in obeying an unjust law. In fact, it is your duty to disobey an unjust law and that is what I am doing.

“The specific offence of which I am accused is to come here onto Sky News at this desk ... and make the statement, which I had learned ... that Mike Baird had been warned as Premier that if he continued to support the cause of democratic reform of the Liberal Party, of giving members of the party a vote in preselections, that the faction now controlled the numbers in the party room, and the faction now had the power to replace him with Gladys Berejiklian, and if he continued to support democratic reform the faction would do so.

“That is the statement for which I have been suspended by the party for 4.5 years.”

Mr Cameron garnered criticism earlier this month for his remarks at a controversial fundraising dinner for the hard right Q Society in which he said the NSW division of the Liberal Party was “basically a gay club.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...011ced223bb7759

The NSW division of the Liberal Party is basically a gay club.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Annabell Crab wrote something not terrible for once

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/generation-y-must-be-close-to-revolution-20170224-gukink.html

"How – if you were a young person today – would you see your seniors as anything but a grabby crowd of legislative brawlers who got their degrees for free and their homes for a song, and are conspiring together to have you foot the bill for their retirement as they drink the last of the Grange in the polluted ruins of the planet that is now exclusively yours to fix?"

Centusin fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 26, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
"Should be"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Scylo posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/generation-y-must-be-close-to-revolution-20170224-gukink.html

"How – if you were a young person today – would you see your seniors as anything but a grabby crowd of legislative brawlers who got their degrees for free and their homes for a song, and are conspiring together to have you foot the bill for their retirement as they drink the last of the Grange in the polluted ruins of the planet that is now exclusively yours to fix?"

Look there is no housing shortage or affortability issue if you're willing to take a small commute.

Just buy a cheap property on the Nullarbor Plain and commute to Sydney or Melbourne from there every day. Gawd. So easy.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Scylo posted:

Lmao she's actually afraid. So she should be.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination

Periphery posted:

I'd hazard a guess and say it's the government not wanting to make it an election issue. All the reports I read seemed to indicate that elevated rail was the best option (specifically for the Frankston line stations) and that the soil and ground water conditions make rail under road to be a pain in the rear end and expensive to maintain.

If the government was thinking creatively they'd build over the top of the underground rail then create new public open spaces and increased pedestrian/road connectivity while selling the rights to any left over land to developers that will comply with decently high affordable/social housing quotas.

I was worried that this was it. They have on their Facebook page that they think any changes need to last for at least a hundred years. Good luck having underground stations by the beach today not get hosed by climate change on the next century.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

DancingShade posted:

Look there is no housing shortage or affortability issue if you're willing to take a small commute.

Just buy a cheap property on the Nullarbor Plain and commute to Sydney or Melbourne from there every day. Gawd. So easy.

Exactly.

<boomer>
When I bought my first house, I had to commute all the way from Balmain, right on the edge of the city. Commuting from Lithgow is the same!
</boomer>

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Newspoll soon comrades.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Newspoll soon comrades.
Tonight right?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Tonight right?

Yessss.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I was thinking about this while walking to work in Saint Petersburg. If we want to fix housing affordability, commuting and etc, we need to have medium/high density apartment blocks around metro stations, and also within the city and not on the fringes. Like, I don't want there to be nothing but the apartment blocks, but the Metro system is a public good and should be serving the maximum amount of people possible within walking distance. If you want to have your backyard block and a car, well you'll have to live some distance from a metro station.

But good loving luck acquiring the land, defeating the NIMBYs and getting people to support public transport.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Xerxes17 posted:

I was thinking about this while walking to work in Saint Petersburg. If we want to fix housing affordability, commuting and etc, we need to have medium/high density apartment blocks around metro stations, and also within the city and not on the fringes. Like, I don't want there to be nothing but the apartment blocks, but the Metro system is a public good and should be serving the maximum amount of people possible within walking distance. If you want to have your backyard block and a car, well you'll have to live some distance from a metro station.

But good loving luck acquiring the land, defeating the NIMBYs and getting people to support public transport.

Sounds like what they are trying to do with the light rail in Canberra.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

And what they're trying to do starting with the rail electrification and tram expansion in Adelaide, because property developers constantly opening new developments north and south has properly hosed over the ability to provide services.

Fortunately you can keep the NIMBYs distracted here by threatening the parklands with the left hand, while doing the real work in the inner suburbs with the right.

http://livingadelaide.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/278203/DPTI-30-Year-Plan_150dpi.pdf

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Oh and I forgot the biggest thing is that this would need to destroy the housing "market" too which would be electoral suicide, so :rip:

Housing as an investment is the dumbest thing.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I prefer referring to it as housing speculation, since that is what many investors are doing, just hoping that the property value will rise so it can be be flipped.

Plus most housing "investors" aren't contributing anything to the market, they are just inflating it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/rpy/status/835770761679785984

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/Leroy_Lynch
#Newspoll
TPP: ALP 55 (+1) L/NP 45 (-1)
Primaries: Coalition 34, Labor 37, Greens 10, One Nation 10, Others 9
1582 sample. Feb 23-26 #auspol

#Newspoll
Turnbull: Satisfied 29, Dissatisfied 59
Shorten Satisfied 30, Dissatisfied 56
Better PM: Turnbull 40, Shorten 33
#auspol

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Holy poo poo

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Brown Paper Bag posted:

lol

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Brown Paper Bag posted:

https://twitter.com/Leroy_Lynch
#Newspoll
TPP: ALP 55 (+1) L/NP 45 (-1)
Primaries: Coalition 34, Labor 37, Greens 10, One Nation 10, Others 9
1582 sample. Feb 23-26 #auspol

#Newspoll
Turnbull: Satisfied 29, Dissatisfied 59
Shorten Satisfied 30, Dissatisfied 56
#auspol

https://twitter.com/Leroy_Lynch/status/835806476773961728

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 26, 2017

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
c'mooon someone knife Shorten and replace him with... erm... me!

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

tithin posted:

I would love queensland to cecede

I believe the word is suicide. :v:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Starshark posted:

c'mooon someone knife Shorten and replace him with... erm... me!

couldn't do a worse job lol

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
55 - 45.

It's #DuttOn.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

When Turnbull got a bit shouty, Miranda Devine predicted the next poll would be 50/50.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

All Shorten has to do is what, hilariously, Theresa May is planning: play the centrist. It's a hard tactic to beat, Turnbull can hardly claim to be more centrist than Shorten.

Never mind that it's bullshit, and they keep pretending they are when they're not, its the horse-race aspect of it that is also effective on the media. Shouty Malcolm has failed. If it keeps sliding, it really is on.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

lmao, if it keeps sliding. It's worse in almost every way than when Malcolm rolled Tony.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Hey auspol thread, I stopped paying attention to australian politics awhile back because it was all too depressing, but I want to get back into following it now for some masochistic reason. Are they any sources or blogs you recommend? I used to get most of my news from abc but they have gone to crap, and I don't want to pay for crikey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I don't understand. How can Shorten have both a higher "satisfied" and a lower "dissatisfied" than Turnbull but then somehow Turnbull wins as preferred PM?

• Locked thread