Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
LR can do the Acros tones after the fact but in camera Acros selectively applies grain to the image and that can't be emulated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Yeah it was just the Lightroom ACROS I was hoping to be able to trick the program into doing for the XT-1. I do wish there were some way to get it to look totally like in camera but shooting jpg+raw and selecting the ones I want to keep for ooc jpgs would be a big bump in time spent in front of the computer for high volumes.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

rio posted:

Yup, Allens Camera in Levittown. They have a whole case of Fuji stuff; it's great. If you go out that way and want to talk about Fuji or anything else let me know - we could grab coffee or something and I could bring my gear along if you promise not to harvest my kidneys or anything like that (never met a goon in real life but I assume that is a valid concern). I live in central NJ so it is not that far.

Thanks for this, I'll keep that in mind. I have to do a little accounting with uncle Sam to see where I stand this year. Maybe we could also crank the goony creepiness some more and go to the pole farm to look at birds (I'm in P. Junction).

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Lawson posted:

Thanks for this, I'll keep that in mind. I have to do a little accounting with uncle Sam to see where I stand this year. Maybe we could also crank the goony creepiness some more and go to the pole farm to look at birds (I'm in P. Junction).

Oh poo poo, no way. No need to meet in Levittown then - I live in Lawrenceville - right behind my flat is a trail to the Village Park and pole farm is a 5 minute walk from there. You can text me at 609865 two zero three eight or pm me any time - I go there often, sometimes in the morning after dropping my daughter off at school and around sunset when I can to try to see the short eared owls. Rosedale park is also nice since they have hooded mergansers, other ducks, swans and sometimes the bald eagles are around there too.

Edit: on topic, do any xt2 havers have advice regarding autofocus modes? I have been trying them all with birds but can't really work out what is best, if normal or continuous af works best when shooting bursts and if zone or wide tracking is the way to go.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It'll probably depend a bit on the lens. Birds are tough as hell to focus on for any camera body, especially if they're in flight.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
apparently the xt20 is out in america. amazon now says they are shipping on the item page

australian sites still say eta but its march instead of february. so much for a mid feb release

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Ugh. The X-T20 is also on Ebay for a little less than $900 with 16-50 from 2 different reputable dealers.

Also, Ebay has a 10% Ebay bucks promotion right now.

Finally, the 16-50 looks like it sells for anywhere from $140-$200.

$670 for an X-T20 after all discounts seems nice. Does anyone shoot an X-T1 side by side an X-T10? The only thing that gives me pause is that I love, love love the X-T1 viewfinder, and a smaller viewfinder is about the only con of the X-T20 vs the X-T1.

Edit: Wow. I checked again, and all the prices had been fixed to ~$989 for the combo instead of $889. Should have jumped on it when I had the chance.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 23, 2017

Duncecap
Jul 30, 2003

I bit the bullet and pre ordered a x-t20 a while ago, waiting for it to get in stock at my local in the UK. Was supposed to be today but I didn't have my hopes up. Hopefully getting the 50mm WR at the same time.

As an aside, coming from a DSLR, do people actually use the LCD a lot with mirrorless cameras? I see all the "touch focus" and they're beautiful little screens but how much do you actually use them for still photography?

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Duncecap posted:

I bit the bullet and pre ordered a x-t20 a while ago, waiting for it to get in stock at my local in the UK. Was supposed to be today but I didn't have my hopes up. Hopefully getting the 50mm WR at the same time.

As an aside, coming from a DSLR, do people actually use the LCD a lot with mirrorless cameras? I see all the "touch focus" and they're beautiful little screens but how much do you actually use them for still photography?

I have an X-T1 and prefer the electronic viewfinder to the LCD when I am out shooting. However, at night the viewfinder is like a flashlight in the eye. There is a setting for the display brightness, but I always forget about setting it. I have a longer eye cup that works really well.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Is there anyone here who's had hands-on experience with the Sigma SD Quattro H?

(I think at this point I'm sold on Fuji if I dip into digital cameras again; the in-camera JPEG options are really flexible... but they're also consistant.

Love my Sigma DP3 Merrill, but it will never be as useful, because time-consuming PP is basically a requirement for getting good results out of its proprietary RAW files, and the SOOC jpegs really only function as previews for checking focus.)

I know that only like three people in the whole world bought this camera. It basically doesn't exist. But...I figure I might as well ask.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use articulating LCDs all the time when I have em available cause I like to do low angle shots, (and because I'm used to using them from video I suppose.)

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I wonder why with the x-20 the touchscreen doesn't work when up to your eye. Seems like the best use for it since it doesn't have a thumb stick. I am slightly jealous that they didn't put it on the x-t2 but since they missed that one I am not so salty about it.

I am also not quite sure how I feel about them putting the xt20 out so close to the xt2 release. I don't think I would have chosen to get one since the grip is a big deal to me as is the weather sealing but having a camera that costs 600-700 dollars less than the X-t2, apparently performs the same and has the same iq does suck. I mean, I am glad if it brings more people to the Fuji system since I think they deserve as much recognition as they can get but the two cameras are quite similar with a pretty big price cut for the xt20. It also must suck for xt1 people since what is supposed to be a camera for a cheaper audience is going to so drastically outperform what used to be a flagship camera for them. I know that is the way it goes with new bodies, and it has been a while since they introduced the xt1 but I guess it would sting a little less if they waited to release the xt20 for a bit like they did with the xt10.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rio posted:

I wonder why with the x-20 the touchscreen doesn't work when up to your eye
Presumably because your nose could change the focus point.

rio posted:

I am also not quite sure how I feel about them putting the xt20 out so close to the xt2 release.
It does 4K video too; albeit implemented differently than the X-T2. Sucks for the X-Pro2.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 24, 2017

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Duncecap posted:

My cameras don't have touchscreen but tilting screen is just so useful. Probably most of my shots are taken using screen as waist-level finder. Having to sometimes use Canon DSLR that doesn't have one is real pain.

Anyway, I asked here about mirrorless systems and I was very close to getting Fuji but in the end I could not resist the siren song of FF and wanted to continue using my Canon macro lenses so I ended up with A7II. Now that I blew all my money on $1500 body I'll just put some $50 lenses on it :downs: Very smart.

oh yeah baby :awesome:

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

That's basically me but with a few more fancy shmancy canon lenses.

Went on a trip with the a7r2 recently and I was really happy with the results, besides the fact that I was carrying Canon 16-35 III, 100-400 II and 35 1.4 II with it and they were killing my back.

Was really set on just selling the camera and swap it with the 5D4 when I got back especially since the lack of weather sealing and the LCD on it actually wasn't robust enough and died in the rain (cost 400 bucks to do an out of warranty repair). But I have always been a big fan of near-HDR landscape and the dynamic range on it is just insane.

Maybe I'll just upgrade the second body from a 5d3 to 5d4...

Damienz
Sep 4, 2012

They started sending out the X100F's! Will get mine on Tuesday and update you with a mini-review shortly after.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I love my X100S and really want to upgrade. But on the other hand, I'm also trying to fight an awful case of GAS, and I can't honestly say that the two-generation-old camera has been particularly limiting in any way... :ohdear:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

You know, yesterday I just posted about how I was sold on Fuji if and when I come due for a mirrorless camera upgrade, but I've been thinking about it, and am not really sure if I'd go that route, or just pick up a GX8 so I can add 4K video to my m4/3 setup.

My question in regards to that is: if an Olympus lens (say the 7-14/2.8) is mounted on a newer Panasonic body like the GX8, does the distortion correction profile carry over? I think most m4/3 wides & zooms have a shitload of geometric distortion, vignetting, and maybe even chromatic abberation, that is corrected at some early step in the ADC -> final file process. I'd imagine that the correction profiles for each lens are shared among companies using the m4/3 standard, but can anyone here confirm that Oly lenses play nice on Lumix bodies *without needing to go through a third party program like ACR (ie the SOOC jpegs are corrected / everything gets straightened out in-camera)*?

404notfound posted:

I love my X100S and really want to upgrade. But on the other hand, I'm also trying to fight an awful case of GAS, and I can't honestly say that the two-generation-old camera has been particularly limiting in any way... :ohdear:

Does the S have Classic Chrome?

rio posted:

I am also not quite sure how I feel about them putting the xt20 out so close to the xt2 release. I don't think I would have chosen to get one since the grip is a big deal to me as is the weather sealing but having a camera that costs 600-700 dollars less than the X-t2, apparently performs the same and has the same iq does suck.

But with the XT2 you don't have to live with the shame of a PASM dial.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

yes? This was in LR and had the same text as when mounted on em10. The things that don't carry over are the digital readout of your fl and the ability to use the lens fn button.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Cool. Weird that the focal length value isn't carried over though. Is it just the position of the zoom that doesn't get recorded?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oh it's on the metadata, just an evf overlay and customization missing if you don't use the same brand's lens.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Does anyone know why using polarized sunglasses affects the rear screen but not the evf? I knew that it affected screens (it looks black, for example, if I have the camera in portrait orientation) but since the evf is really just a screen too, why is it not affected?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

rio posted:

Does anyone know why using polarized sunglasses affects the rear screen but not the evf? I knew that it affected screens (it looks black, for example, if I have the camera in portrait orientation) but since the evf is really just a screen too, why is it not affected?

They must be using different display types where the evf one isn't giving off polarised light

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

underage at the vape shop posted:

They must be using different display types where the evf one isn't giving off polarised light

Either that or the LCD cover glass is polarised.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

alkanphel posted:

Either that or the LCD cover glass is polarised.

It's probably this

On a different note, with the fuji film simulations, how many can it render at once? Like, how many can it do per time you take photo? How many can it do with raw + jpg? Can you apply the effect to the raw afterwards?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
You can apply the film simulation after taking the photo in raw. Not sure about jpeg, but if you have the raw you could just re-generate the jpeg.

You can have only one active per photo, though.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

On the X-T1 at least you can do film simulation bracketing which nets you 3 photos. You can pick which simulations.

e: not sure what continuous fire rate is in this instance though

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 26, 2017

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Being able to do it afterwards means it doesnt matter it can only do 1.

E: The bracketing sounds really good tho

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The bracketing is jpeg-only.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

Schneider Heim posted:

You can apply the film simulation after taking the photo in raw. Not sure about jpeg, but if you have the raw you could just re-generate the jpeg.

You can have only one active per photo, though.

Considering this is a viable option, has anyone switched to RAW only shooting and then applied whatever simulation you want if you're just going to work with jpeg's anyway?

It just dawned upon me, but I've been shooting RAW+JPEG since I got the X-T2 and now I'm thinking I should just shoot RAW and if I do end up using a SOOC JPEG I could just pick whatever simulation fits the shot and generate it. It seems pointless to use up more space if I won't be using jpeg 100% of the time.

What do ya'll think?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

ianskate posted:

Considering this is a viable option, has anyone switched to RAW only shooting and then applied whatever simulation you want if you're just going to work with jpeg's anyway?

It just dawned upon me, but I've been shooting RAW+JPEG since I got the X-T2 and now I'm thinking I should just shoot RAW and if I do end up using a SOOC JPEG I could just pick whatever simulation fits the shot and generate it. It seems pointless to use up more space if I won't be using jpeg 100% of the time.

What do ya'll think?

You can also apply the film simulations in Lightroom to the raws - they are very very close to the in camera versions but there are small differences. It is much quicker to play around with the different film sims in Lightroom, though, vs fiddling around with converting a bunch of photos on the camera.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

ianskate posted:

What do ya'll think?

Counterpoint: fast SD cards are cheap as hell, and you have space for 2 of them.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
The film simulations in Lightroom are 99% the same as the camera's, but they won't match camera jpgs if you have other enhancements enabled on the camera like shadow and highlight adjustments. I've found it difficult to match those exactly in Lightroom after the fact.

And as far as I know you can't bulk process raws in the camera so unless you only have a small handful of photos to process, shooting raw+jpg is still the better option.

And bracketing film modes is nice but it's important to know you are getting everything in jpg. There's no option to get the raw plus bracketed jpgs - it's just the jpgs

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

ianskate posted:

This is what I do. It's awesome. If you love the photo as is and want to blast it to your phone or something, you can just save it as a JPEG, which takes like 1 second. Often I'll go in and slightly adjust exposure/highlights/shadows/WB, etc. if needed, which takes like 10 seconds. If the photo needs a lot of work (usually challenging lighting, or for "more important" photos, or when I need to edit like 50+) then I take it into Lightroom.

The only downside to shooting only RAW that I've found is that in the camera you can't zoom in nearly as far on the RAW photos. In real life this is not a big deal to me.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

bobfather posted:

Counterpoint: fast SD cards are cheap as hell, and you have space for 2 of them.

Exactly. I shoot RAW+jpg and roll around with a 128gb card in my main slot.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

8th-snype posted:

Exactly. I shoot RAW+jpg and roll around with a 128gb card in my main slot.

For real. X-T1 workflow is:

1. Download images.
2. Review the jpegs. Realize they're largely perfect.
3. Reprocess the few that aren't perfect in Lightroom from the RAW.
4. Backup the RAWs and JPEGs.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I decided to lower the budget a little and went with an XA-2. I'm happy with it thus far. Definitely going to look at a different lense at some point. The lense it comes with is a 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6. Any recommendations?
I like how hefty and sturdy the body feels. All the dials on top have a satisfying click when you rotate them. Some reviews said the plastic dial on the back is a letdown compared to the metal ones, and I can see where they're coming from, but I've not had the issue of accidentally changing the aperture or shutter speed between shots.
People complain about the wifi, but the only problems I have are with the app, and not the camera itself. I've yet to have any issues with the camera connecting or sending photos. The IOS app is a pain in the rear end- I have to go to wifi settings on my ipad and select the camera under wifi, then go into the Fuji app and select what I want to do. At least my phone just connects on the android version. It's kind of annoying that I can only transfer so many photos at once, though, but not a huge deal.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
Thanks for the input about RAW vs JPEG workflow.

I'm really only shooting RAW at this point for the sake of retouching portraits, which has become the most of what I shoot these days, so it's sort of essential. I may get a 128gb card because I've been filling my 64's way too quickly with RAW+JPEG.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Hi there.

I'm "upgrading" from a NX3000 to an NX300 for the +30FPS video boost and for the touch focus. Does the NX300 offer output via hdmi during recording or before shooting? I've pondered replacing my cheapo logitech webcam to do a stream and could get an HDMI > USB capture unit if so. I have dreams at night imagining how nice a stream would look with this camera powering it.

I would still use the camera to shoot stills of my wife's art and record her in her shop for youtubes. She does blacksmithing in a poo poo lighting setup and it would be awesome to get rid of the terrible logitech (her forge looks loving purple when it's on screen). Or am I barking up the wrong tree and would be better off with a dedicated video camera alongside the NX300?

As an aside, these cameras/lenses are so loving good for the price, I can't believe the deals I'm getting.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

down1nit posted:

Hi there.

I'm "upgrading" from a NX3000 to an NX300 for the +30FPS video boost and for the touch focus. Does the NX300 offer output via hdmi during recording or before shooting? I've pondered replacing my cheapo logitech webcam to do a stream and could get an HDMI > USB capture unit if so. I have dreams at night imagining how nice a stream would look with this camera powering it.

I would still use the camera to shoot stills of my wife's art and record her in her shop for youtubes. She does blacksmithing in a poo poo lighting setup and it would be awesome to get rid of the terrible logitech (her forge looks loving purple when it's on screen). Or am I barking up the wrong tree and would be better off with a dedicated video camera alongside the NX300?

As an aside, these cameras/lenses are so loving good for the price, I can't believe the deals I'm getting.

Understand that the NX is a dead system that Samsung has officially abandoned. So you'll get great deals on good cameras, but as a platform it will never grow or update.