Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Lmao why would you even want to play for the lakers at this point.

He meant "Play Against the Lakers". That's a pretty solid route to putting up huge numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I suppose you could make the argument that ball is big enough to guard sgs, so he can share the floor with D'angelo. But he's not that long or athletic, so it's not as natural an arrangement as the hand wave people want to make it seem. Also, D'angelo seems much better when hes handling the ball a lot and working in th eflow of an offense. Just sticking him to the side and asking him to play like Lou Williams or something while Lonzo is the Real pg seems like a waste of talent. I'm really afraid of Lonzo Ball as an NBA prospect, he could really contribute to the right team or he could be useless on a team without spacing and athleticism

I think a lot of the people making the argument are just looking at the fact that Russell doesn't get a lot of assists and deciding he is not a point guard. But like the Lakers are like 13 PPM better with him on the floor so he is clearly doing something to facilitate.

I think it is worth trying to make it work for like Fultz but I have the same worries as you do for Ball.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Lmao why would you even want to play for the lakers at this point.

Yeah why would you want to play for the team that world wide is still the most popular team in the league by a giant margin.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Lmao the Ball dad is a gigantic moron.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

pubic works project posted:

I hope my kids are successful enough that I can sabotage their career by talking to the press/social media

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
By far the best part of LaVar Ball's Lakers talk is the following quote.

“and then they’re going to look back and say, ‘Man, how did LaVar know all of this?’” LaVar Ball
http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-lavar-ball-20170219-story.html

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

pubic works project posted:

Well, it's a fake tweet so

Rick posted:

I think a lot of the people making the argument are just looking at the fact that Russell doesn't get a lot of assists and deciding he is not a point guard. But like the Lakers are like 13 PPM better with him on the floor so he is clearly doing something to facilitate.

I think it is worth trying to make it work for like Fultz but I have the same worries as you do for Ball.

Yeah why would you want to play for the team that world wide is still the most popular team in the league by a giant margin.

Russell sorta reminds of me a little of Deron Williams in his Utah days, I think he'll be the "does a little of everything" and the type of guy who you want to have the ball in his hands. I don't think he gets to the rim as well as DWill did, and that will be a big part of how his game develops I think.

I mean, if Ball is staring you in the face with your pick I think you try to figure it out.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Lockback posted:

Russell sorta reminds of me a little of Deron Williams in his Utah days, I think he'll be the "does a little of everything" and the type of guy who you want to have the ball in his hands. I don't think he gets to the rim as well as DWill did, and that will be a big part of how his game develops I think.

I mean, if Ball is staring you in the face with your pick I think you try to figure it out.

This isn't the first time he's been in the news. Even if he didn't say this, he's stupidly run his mouth before.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Lockback posted:

If you think Russell is as good as Williams, you pass on Ball and take Josh Jackson in a heartbeat (assuming Fultz isn't an option).

I think they're a bit different in terms of their playstyle and overall potential; Williams was much more of a pure PG and was top 4-5 at his position by his second year.

He was reallllllly good.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 27, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah I don't see the Williams similarity at all

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

Yeah I don't see the Williams similarity at all
The overlapping venn diagram of Deron and D'angelo is that neither were overwhelming run/jump athlites, neither had elite first step. Both were good passers with nice instincts. Although D'angelo's passing is of a different style than Deron's. Both are 6'4/6'5 but neither is reggie jackson long.

Sidebar: Since Deron's gotten healthy it's not that hard to believe he's been able to be productive in a smaller role, because he's been athletically overmatched for a while.

The non overlapping parts are D'angelo playing really cool, he plays a very smooooth game and has a great jumper, that helps space d's to get to the lane and flick something in.
Deron was a big strong dude and got to the basket by feinting a few times, trying a cross, and shoving guys out of the way. I can't remember how he was as a shooter

De'angelo aside from being a snitch is just like a kid having fun playing pnr basketball. Deron was a tough determined I'm getting that basket motherfucker sort of guy, am I misremembering

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 27, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Has Josh Jackson played to his potential at all or has he been yet another Kansas Wing Player?

Why do talented wings still go to Kansas and suffer under Bill Self for a year?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Has Josh Jackson played to his potential at all or has he been yet another Kansas Wing Player?

Why do talented wings still go to Kansas and suffer under Bill Self for a year?

He's been really good, especially the last month or two.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It did look like he was being overcoached at first but he started playing so well that like all that "pull a guy for minor mistakes" bullshit had to stop.

If you believe his current shooting isn't a fluke, or that he can learn to shoot even if it is, there's no reason not to take him at #2 (well, maybe Philly fans can make an argument about needing a PG more). Of course that might be a foolish belief but I'll admit I'm really on board with him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I finally got to the Arizona/Washington game and like obviously the main event is Fultz but Markkanen playing center is really impressive. For a guy who likes to spot up and shoot or float off of the dribble he has a really nice old fashioned post game.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Somebody earlier brought up Josh Jackson's shooting being a red flag because his fair 37% from 3 doesnt match up with his bad 55% from the line...but isn't it a huge positive that he's gotten so much better from deep as the season has gone on?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Ty1990 posted:

Somebody earlier brought up Josh Jackson's shooting being a red flag because his fair 37% from 3 doesnt match up with his bad 55% from the line...but isn't it a huge positive that he's gotten so much better from deep as the season has gone on?
With such a small sample size, the idea is that natural variance in the numbers can distract from his underlying mechanics

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Applies to both FTs and 3pt fg tbh

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ty1990 posted:

He's taken twice as many FTs as 3s so far, and having such a low Free Throw % would suggest his 3pt mark is more a case of sample size than real range. His 3pt shooting is basically only 10 or 12 games where he has been hitting a great clip, it's really hard to tell if that's him getting better or just getting lucky.

Even bad NBA players have 10 game stretches where they hit everything they toss up. The fact that Jackson has only 30 total college games it's really fair to call that a red flag.

Maybe it's nothing, but it should be considered.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ty1990 posted:

People have posted before that FT% is a better indicator of NBA 3p% potential and I'm inclined to believe them. The difference between the NBA and college 3 point line is quite startk. Shooting 37% from college, and having to move back 3 feet is a huge deal and the fact that he can't even make 60% of his free throws does not fill me with a lot of confidence that he will be able to do it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
He won't be an abysmal shooter, but I haven't really seen Jackson hit many contested 3s, and his jump shooting can be a bit suspect at times too. As athletic as he is, I'm not sure he's worth a top five pick if you can get someone who has a more reliable shot.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

DeAaron Fox is going to be the worst shooter drafted in the first round since Tony Wroten

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Lockback posted:

He's taken twice as many FTs as 3s so far, and having such a low Free Throw % would suggest his 3pt mark is more a case of sample size than real range. His 3pt shooting is basically only 10 or 12 games where he has been hitting a great clip, it's really hard to tell if that's him getting better or just getting lucky.

Even bad NBA players have 10 game stretches where they hit everything they toss up. The fact that Jackson has only 30 total college games it's really fair to call that a red flag.

Maybe it's nothing, but it should be considered.

Are you trying to tell me James Johnson isn't a top 30 NBA player because I just don't know

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

straight up brolic posted:

DeAaron Fox is going to be the worst shooter drafted in the first round since Tony Wroten

IT should get like 20% of his paycheck because no way dude gets drafted in the lottery--where a lot of people are projecting him--two years ago.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

That's some really good insight RE: Josh Jackson, goons. Thank you.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Probably Magic posted:

He won't be an abysmal shooter, but I haven't really seen Jackson hit many contested 3s, and his jump shooting can be a bit suspect at times too. As athletic as he is, I'm not sure he's worth a top five pick if you can get someone who has a more reliable shot.

There's no way you can drop Jackson all the way outside of the top five when he's so good at literally everything else

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'd take Jackson over anyone not named Ball or Fultz. And I could probably be convinced he's a better prospect than Ball.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I like Monk

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Criminal Minded posted:

There's no way you can drop Jackson all the way outside of the top five when he's so good at literally everything else

Not that they're comparable, but imagine the handwringing about Lebron's jumper if he were 18 today.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

DeimosRising posted:

Not that they're comparable, but imagine the handwringing about Lebron's jumper if he were 18 today.

I mean, yeah, it's not comparable because if LeBron weren't LeBron in all other aspects his (below average) shooting would be a serious knock.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

EvanTH posted:

I mean, yeah, it's not comparable because if LeBron weren't LeBron in all other aspects his (below average) shooting would be a serious knock.

His shooting was not "below average" back then, it was straight up bad. It would be non stop hot takes about how he has no position, can't stretch the floor, etc. He'd still go 1st overall, Simmons did, but on the obverse of that no one would have even given a poo poo about Simmons's terrible shooting 20 years ago.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

DeimosRising posted:

His shooting was not "below average" back then, it was straight up bad. It would be non stop hot takes about how he has no position, can't stretch the floor, etc. He'd still go 1st overall, Simmons did, but on the obverse of that no one would have even given a poo poo about Simmons's terrible shooting 20 years ago.

I'm sayin' that scouting was largely correct, to this day, despite his years of insanity training and recovery with breathing tubes suspended inside a plexiglass tube filled with a mysterious green fluid he's still a below average shooter and it only doesn't matter because of God-like ability at everything else

This sport might be unwatchable if LeBron was a good shooter

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

EvanTH posted:

I'm sayin' that scouting was largely correct, to this day, despite his years of insanity training and recovery with breathing tubes suspended inside a plexiglass tube filled with a mysterious green fluid he's still a below average shooter and it only doesn't matter because of God-like ability at everything else

This sport might be unwatchable if LeBron was a good shooter

If he was a good shooter he probably wouldn't have become god-like at everything else.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

MKG was drafted #2 overall with a jumper that was like a ballista tipped on its side

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

MKG was drafted #2 overall with a jumper that was like a ballista tipped on its side

And Ben Simmons #1 despite having the range of DeAndre Jordan

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Criminal Minded posted:

I'd say he fouls too much, but he's cleaning that up of late. Maybe I've overestimating how much value there is in this draft that the top would be too crowded for Jackson. :shrug:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Lockback posted:

If he was a good shooter he probably wouldn't have become god-like at everything else.

He was a good shooter for a few years and mysteriously dropped off

re: jjacks, he's good enough at everything else that you hope he learns how to shoot given actual coaching NBA facilities etc. and if he's not then he still becomes serviceable player ala MKG.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Everyone expects physically dominant players to be bad shooters because they haven't had to shoot. Like, why wouldn't you aggressively throw the ball up in the lane if you could? It'd be more concerning if they were physically dominant and weren't aggressively going inside

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Declan MacManus posted:

He was a good shooter for a few years and mysteriously dropped off

Last year he was horrible from three, but this year he's back up to 38% on four attempts per game.

His 2012-13 season, arguably the greatest single season of any player in NBA history, he shot 40.9% from three.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Whose shooting would you rather have Josh Jackson shooting 30 something percent from three and 55% from the line or DeAaron Fox shooting 17% from three and 74% from the line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Watched some film and Fultz is the real deal huh

• Locked thread