Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FkpM4FWa8A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

This is the best meme I have ever seen

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

That's incredible attention to detail. Was there any particular reason to parody that show/that scene, though? Is it an especially famous scene or something?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, it is. It's from the pilot episode of Miami Vice, which was one of the first TV shows to be shot in that film-like cinematographic style, and also one of the first to use contemporary popular music on its soundtrack. At the time, no one had seen anything like that in a TV show before, and it became a watershed moment in the perception of television as a dramatic medium.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

I am the lack of ears

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, it is. It's from the pilot episode of Miami Vice, which was one of the first TV shows to be shot in that film-like cinematographic style, and also one of the first to use contemporary popular music on its soundtrack. At the time, no one had seen anything like that in a TV show before, and it became a watershed moment in the perception of television as a dramatic medium.

Wow, cool! I had no idea.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

gently caress

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I'm trying to find the Coming up Milhouse vs You told me this stream was shallow, can anyone help?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Lol if you don't write it "٧"

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

It'd be funnier if it was Rod and not Todd.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
game over man

game over

gently caress you meme thread its my turn

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dude, you are supposed to post a picture of Bill Pullman with text on it that says "RIP Josh Brolin". Get it right!

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

Dude, you are supposed to post a picture of Bill Pullman with text on it that says "I did not have sexual relations with that woman". Get it right!

oh?

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
or a gif

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
my work here is done

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

beato posted:

or a gif

drat, was just coming to post that

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'd feel worse if Bill Paxton had ever made a good movie

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Shut your goddamn mouth

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

oldpainless posted:

More like oldtasteless

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

oldpainless posted:

Kill your parents, then yourself.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

oldpainless posted:

The worst cry for attention I've ever seen on the forums

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

best meme of 2016 imo

I officially declare it so and give it the golden meme reward

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

oldpainless posted:

You can't have a user name like this and then diss a man from the franchise.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
RIP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIYJpbAK6MY

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

hhhat posted:

game over man

game over

gently caress you meme thread its my turn

Mierenneuker posted:

Dude, you are supposed to post a picture of Bill Pullman with text on it that says "RIP Josh Brolin". Get it right!

no...., no! not like this!!!! im hung over and vibin on lasanga cat - the slow dawning of the implications of what you people said... it can't be - it just can't

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Should I loving watch miami vice? Like, was the whole show good or was it just that episode or that scene and the rest was mediocre garbage? Becase that scene made me wanna check it out, but i asked myself "why aren't more people talking about going back and watching it if it were that good?"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

KoRMaK posted:

Should I loving watch miami vice? Like, was the whole show good or was it just that episode or that scene and the rest was mediocre garbage? Becase that scene made me wanna check it out, but i asked myself "why aren't more people talking about going back and watching it if it were that good?"

It is very 80s. Like, maybe the most 80s thing ever.

Some people just can't handle this much totally rad awesomeness.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

KoRMaK posted:

I had the same thought. Apparently, that was from the pilot episode so maybe try that and see?
I want to fire up Vice City now.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

KoRMaK posted:

The show is good, but that scene in particular is HUGE in film / audio editing because Michael Mann invented the Tarantino thing where music replaces the non-key audio with that scene. In the pilot episode.

At least watch the pilot, because it was, the day it came out, absolutely groundbreaking for television, sound design, and editing.

Here's a good write-up:

http://miamivice.wikia.com/wiki/%22In_the_Air_Tonight%22_Scene

And yes, it's the most 80's thing and I'm biased in my adoration of it and all things Michael Mann.

The Anime Liker has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Feb 26, 2017

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Well is she dead or ain't she?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

You know how Aliens and Die Hard basically created the modern action movie genre, so when you show them to someone today who hasn't seen them they're like "this is the most clichéd poo poo ever" but that's because those movies invented those clichés in the first place?

Miami Vice is that for two things: the high-budget high-stakes cop show, and the visual style of the mid-1980s. It created the cop show where the policemen make morally questionable decisions, where they don't always get their man, where police force and political corruption stops investigations. And the image of the pastel suits, the feathered blond hair, the neon lights, the white Ferrari -- the show created that style, not the other way around.

Some of the episodes are dumb and meant to be comedic, and you'll have to get past the problem with two "undercover" police officers driving around in a white Testarossa and showing up at every drug bust in Miami for five years and somehow never blowing their cover. And eventually the show suffers from the raising-the-stakes problem that every TV show does, so it builds up from Tubbs loading his shotgun in the car in the pilot episode, to Bruce Willis blowing up an airplane with a rocket launcher a few seasons in.

Oh, yeah, there are a lot of roles played by celebrities before they were famous, too. In particular, I really like Edward James Olmos' Lt. Castillo, who shows up halfway through the first season and becomes the best character on the show.

I enjoy the show a lot and I'd say yes, take a look at it keeping in mind that it was the progenitor of all the clichés you'll see, not an imitator.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
"...Garfield. Did you eat lasagna this morning?"
"Yeah, why?"

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I know I'm late on this but holy loving poo poo this is the most hosed up thing I've seen come out of this thread.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
The best lasagna cat

I dont care if someone posted it already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwa2tt4SOns

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm a fan of this one. I'm sure it's a repost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3NLa4ebX4E

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

hi liter posted:

I know I'm late on this but holy loving poo poo this is the most hosed up thing I've seen come out of this thread.

The actor they got for Jon is amazing, his little "Who's there?~ 8D" every time there's a knock at the door just makes me so happy.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Sagebrush posted:

You know how Aliens and Die Hard basically created the modern action movie genre, so when you show them to someone today who hasn't seen them they're like "this is the most clichéd poo poo ever" but that's because those movies invented those clichés in the first place?

When my son watched Airplane for the first time had the same reaction with all the jokes.
"Well, it was alright, but I've seen all those jokes before"
"Yes, because this is where they all came from!"

• Locked thread