Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Smiling Knight posted:

Get out of the north. Fighting vikings is boring and doesn't get you that much. Instead, go south right after taking down Kraka Drak. Eventually, your +'s from killing the humans will allow you to make peace with Varg and Skaeling without having to chase them around for 50 turns.

Destroy the marauder camp, it'll make the building the chaos warrior building easier. And chaos warriors should carry you through most of the early and midgame.

Thanks. Still, any good video recommendations, for Chaos or otherwise? I think I've got a reasonable handle on dwarfs and VC, but I enjoy watching informative videos, or at least decently skilled videos where the commentary doesn't make me want to hack my ears off in spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I don't know about videos of the strategic campaign, but Turin has some excellent multi-player videos and he probably plays chaos more than anything else.

Get multiple armies early and keep them close by. Its OK to be in attrition range if the alternative is being caught out by a superior enemy force.

-Don't wait to replenish units; get new ones. This is easier if you have multiple armies.

-Forsaken and magic are big force multipliers that come from the same building.

-Sigvald's quests give him regeneration and his starting Hellcannon lets him more easily take cities; consider starting with him. Hellcanons can be manually aimed with the insert key, and they have limited 'aftertouch' that let's you guide the shot in the air for a perfect shot every time. a high veterancy, manually aimed cannon can destroy whole units from halfway across the map.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 26, 2017

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Two things: 1) The Brettonian gameplay mechanics that pressure you to effectively play chivalrously are freaking awesome.

2) I've been hearing a lot of complaints about the addition of Brettonian Foot Squires. They seem to be quite effective AP units that can beat Longbeards in a 1 on 1... shouldn't they be more of a chaffy anvil unit to go with the Horse Army theme?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, the bretonnian foot squires seems a bit too strong/cost effective. Doesn't really fit the Bretonnian identity.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

theDOWmustflow posted:

2) I've been hearing a lot of complaints about the addition of Brettonian Foot Squires. They seem to be quite effective AP units that can beat Longbeards in a 1 on 1... shouldn't they be more of a chaffy anvil unit to go with the Horse Army theme?

Too early to tell for sure, but their raw stats seem a little crazy considering the price. They should be noticeably worse than greatswords imo. I think a fun nerf would be to tank their leadership; they're not knights yet, after all. Then they would be a cool troll-esque unit; punches above its weight in fights you're already winning, but easily routed by Calvary charges or overwhelming force.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Aren't Foot Squires the highest tier of Brettonian infantry though? As in, comparable to Ironbreakers, not Longbeards?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

They're comparable to greatswords. So a tier below ironbreakers I guess.

That said it is unfortunate how Bretonnia videos I'm watching feature lines of squires with some knights.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Eela6 posted:

Too early to tell for sure, but their raw stats seem a little crazy considering the price. They should be noticeably worse than greatswords imo. I think a fun nerf would be to tank their leadership; they're not knights yet, after all. Then they would be a cool troll-esque unit; punches above its weight in fights you're already winning, but easily routed by Calvary charges or overwhelming force.

I mean statwise they are noticeably worse than Greatswords, it's a bit of a mystery why they appear to be doing better than their stats would suggest.

Mostly though they're just really cheap for heavy infantry which is only going to be an issue in MP and very easy to hotfix so I fully expect all the panic to blow over in a week tops.

Personally I'd just up their MP cost to like 800 and maybe take of 5 LD and call it a day.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

chaos player dude, never auto resolve, your units are better tit for tit than everyone except dwarfs and the Ai won't built correctly for that anyway. Use a lot of hell cannons, never loose a battle. I'm doing a legendary atm and only started my second horde at turn 80 after taking out empire and britt. Stupid dwarfs have the whole badlands though :(

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eela6 posted:

I don't know about videos of the strategic campaign, but Turin has some excellent multi-player videos and he probably plays chaos more than anything else.

He's been useful to watch, thanks!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The best way to play Chaos is to play Beastmen instead.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah, but I've won as the Beastmen before. Haven't won a Chaos campaign yet.

As it is, I'm working through a dwarf campaign trying out the White Dwarf. Campaign for my part has been ho-hum, but holy poo poo the wood elves have been going batshit up north.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Chaos really need some sort of replenishment mod to make up for how exposed they are. Otherwise you'll get headshot by some AI army that marched halfway across the map after you took losses sacking a few Kislev cities, it really doesn't sell the "unstoppable horde" aspect well.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Yeah I use the guy with Bear avatar's Chaos replenishment mod and it's working great for me. I'm having a heck of a blast! It's surprising how fun a Chaos game can be without having to worry about settlement management.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you autoresolve sieges as chaos you will have bad times. Get six hell cannons, deploy on one tower's arch and then send aspiring champs up walls first early game. You just took all of the north. Mr eater's start can wreck gates early too.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
What are Aspiring Championd meant to be used as? Apart from the ledership bonus, I don't see anything spectacular avout them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

theDOWmustflow posted:

What are Aspiring Championd meant to be used as? Apart from the ledership bonus, I don't see anything spectacular avout them.

They're basically really good for bolstering your line. Mix them in with Marauders and they will not break.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Triskelli posted:

The Skaven had a mechanic on the TT that kept their units unbreakable until they lost a certain chunk of the models in the unit. Basically a Skaven only feels confident in attacking while there's ten Skaven behind in front of him, but as soon as it realizes that half the pack is gone they'll scamper.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Welp apparently older geforce cards are having a problem with the game, its not heat i just randomly get GPU crashes where my monitor turns off and the sound loops. I was only 15 minutes into the game during an awesome dwarf vs beastman battle and just as the minotaurs were about to get hit with blasting charges the screen goes blank.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Zore posted:

They're basically really good for bolstering your line. Mix them in with Marauders and they will not break.

They're also super cheap so they're very cost effective early game and also hold up well at carving through fodder infantry like marauders or swordsmen.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014

theDOWmustflow posted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't their attacks do magic dmg? That is great vs ethereal units.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Aspiring Champions have an encouragement aura like heroes do. This is especially good if you have a lord like Kholek who doesn't provide a leadership buff (if you check you'll see Kholek does not have the typical Encourage ability most lords have). With lovely troops like Marauders you can also just buy them some veterancy in custom/quick battles; four points of veterancy only makes them cost 476 and it gives them 65 morale and improved stats.

They do magical attacks, which is necessary against VC. You can also bring a fire wizard and cast Flaming Sword to give your other troops magical attacks, or bring Archaon who is also a fire wiz himself and has a magic sword, too.

They are also a good blocker unit in that they will hold up enemy units for a long time. If you are low on money and need a way to deal with a lot of enemy units, you can buy a trio of Aspiring Champions for 1650 gold, throw them into a horde of enemies and they'll stick around for a few minutes. They are more durable than killy.

I don't use them very much though, because they aren't contributing to decisively destroying enemy units most of the time and Chaos typically aren't being used in a patient style.

Mukip fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 26, 2017

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
So didn't somebody say Bretonnia is out today if you've got a Total War Access login?

How do I make that work?

Edit: Apparently doesn't unlock until 4pm (3 hours from now) GMT though still not sure how to do it.

wipe up or ship out
Nov 5, 2008
I think the unlock is tommorow, on the 27th.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Ah crap, thought it was Monday release and access get's it Sunday. :(

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

theDOWmustflow posted:

Yeah I use the guy with Bear avatar's Chaos replenishment mod and it's working great for me. I'm having a heck of a blast! It's surprising how fun a Chaos game can be without having to worry about settlement management.

Hello friend, im glad you like it!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What sound effect is made when you end turns as Brettonia?

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
I'm curious, do people actually like fighting siege battles?

I liked them in older titles when the battle maps were fairly expansive and you had time to create a few different wall breaches and use a bit of strategy.

But in Warhammer every siege feels the same to me: Rush the walls before the towers do too much damage and smack your melee blob into theirs after breaking through the gate and see who comes out on top. It's just a very samey experience.

(As an aside, I also think the defenders should be allowed to deploy their artillery on the walls since they're so much wider than they used to be in older titles)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

PerilPastry posted:

I liked them in older titles when the battle maps were fairly expansive and you had time to create a few different wall breaches and use a bit of strategy.

But in Warhammer every siege feels the same to me: Rush the walls before the towers do too much damage and smack your melee blob into theirs after breaking through the gate and see who comes out on top. It's just a very samey experience.

(As an aside, I also think the defenders should be allowed to deploy their artillery on the walls since they're so much wider than they used to be in older titles)

I like them better than most recent Total Wars but the consistency of the garrisons tend to make me end up autoresolving. I think there's a fair bit of strategy in that different races have different ways of attacking.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I feel like defending is way more fun than attacking, especially as Dwarves who are particularly well-suited for the task thanks to their armor, shields, and good leadership. The things that bug me about the sieges though:

-Pants on head retarded AI that never sallies out of their fortress, allowing you to easily pick off guys. With Quarrelers I can often cull half the defenders before even starting my assault because enemies just stand there. Its the same thing if you breach a gate, you can shoot through the opening and the enemy wont rush you. I've also seen enemy commanders that just stand by their lonesome self, not doing anything.

-Defensive towers feel rather boring. At the start of the battle I quickly have a pair of towers target one siege tower; if you do this right you can guarantee to take out half of the approaching siege towers assuming there aren't 10 of them or something. Wall upgrades on capitals make this even easier.

-Its so difficult to use artillery effectively as defender. They often end up being used as desperate point-blank firing units that perhaps get a shot or two off before being bumrushed. I've tried positioning them to sweep enemies off walls but it would be really nice if I could have them mounted on the walls themselves. Flame Cannon, Organ Gun/Hellblaster Volley gun would be so great used like this.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

PerilPastry posted:

I won't deny that Sieges are the weakest part of the game, they're not awful but they do get old after a while.

Im thinking CA knows this and will expand on it as time goes on though.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think they were better in Attila where you could burn down half the settlement and it would impact the defender's morale, so it gave you alternative strategies than just rushing the walls right away. Plus there was more variety in the settlement layout in general. In TW:W they are all kind of same-y.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Rome 2/Atilla sieges suffered from awful, buggy, utterly broken (In multiple ways) walls and sieges that were unbearable slogs punctuated with insanely deadly auto defense towers scattered everywhere. Not to mention how minor defensive siege battles were either completely unwinnable or free heroic victories depending entirely on whether you got the good map layout that let you just hold a couple chokepoints with spears while the AI suicides 2-3 stacks at you over and over. Or the way they attacked walled settlements pretty much never, even compared to Warhammer. Or how the attacking siege AI would just break and do nothing 75% of the time.

Setting stuff on fire and naval landings were cool, just not nearly cool enough to offset all the other issues sieges had. And most of the older TW games had even worse sieges, really.

That said, Warhammer sieges do suffer from being the same thing over and over between the limited maps and identical garrison forces. I at least can bring myself to play Warhammer offensive sieges occasionally but doing it over and over again can be maddening, one of the reasons Chaos is such a slog also is because it's just endless castle sieges that you can't afford to autoresolve because it will kill your Lords/Heroes in two battles.

Defensive siege battles in Warhammer can be fun as hell though.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Why even play siege attacks when you can just play dwarves and have the besieged settlement being whacked with double attrition in 2-3 turns?

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Wait so Aspiring Champions are a lower tier unit meant to fight alongside marauders? Huh... oh well they're thematically awesome and I like to treat them as an elite veteran unit for spearheading a siege wall assault so I'll keep them.

I was confused on how to use them because there's only 8 but they seem to hold their own very well in a pitched battle.

Gejnor posted:

Hello friend, im glad you like it!

For sure! Your mod hits the sweet spot while still preserving the challenge. Thanks a lot!

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

madmac posted:

Rome 2/Atilla sieges suffered from awful, buggy, utterly broken (In multiple ways) walls and sieges that were unbearable slogs punctuated with insanely deadly auto defense towers scattered everywhere. Not to mention how minor defensive siege battles were either completely unwinnable or free heroic victories depending entirely on whether you got the good map layout that let you just hold a couple chokepoints with spears while the AI suicides 2-3 stacks at you over and over. Or the way they attacked walled settlements pretty much never, even compared to Warhammer. Or how the attacking siege AI would just break and do nothing 75% of the time.

Setting stuff on fire and naval landings were cool, just not nearly cool enough to offset all the other issues sieges had. And most of the older TW games had even worse sieges, really.

That said, Warhammer sieges do suffer from being the same thing over and over between the limited maps and identical garrison forces. I at least can bring myself to play Warhammer offensive sieges occasionally but doing it over and over again can be maddening, one of the reasons Chaos is such a slog also is because it's just endless castle sieges that you can't afford to autoresolve because it will kill your Lords/Heroes in two battles.

Defensive siege battles in Warhammer can be fun as hell though.

See this is what i mean, they really just need more maps, more variety, and maybe some more depth to them, like a secondary layer of defenses on some maps (im personally thinking dwarfs here with their super defensive mentality).

That and being able to mount artillery on walls like in previous TW titles would help a lot!

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 26, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
With the custom maps being a thing now I'm hoping CA will eventually adopt some of the more balanced ones so at the very least Capitals or very critical areas end up getting unique layouts; Altdorf, Middenheim, Drakenhoff, Kislev, Karaz a Krarak, Black Crag, Karak Kadrin, etc should have unique layouts which may favor certain factions attacking/defending.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Empire had a pretty good handle on siege defense, provided your man's didn't get bugged out on the walls trying to man the artillery.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wall mounted artillery would indeed be sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
I'm just happy that sieges are at least semi-functional; we've come a ways since the AI in Medieval 2, for instance.

The only thing I was really disappointed by was that all the Dwarf Hold sieges are underground, with the enemy force having presumably already breached through the outer wall. Would have been cool to have those battles in the open air, the defenders on the side of a mountain but then I gather that extra level of geometry would undoubtedly be too much for AI.

• Locked thread