Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
In Sleeping Dogs I really enjoy having Wei deny he's a cop while dressed head to toe in SWAT gear. Also, eat and drink food while wearing a surgical mask. Also, slapping enemies with live fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

jojoinnit posted:

In Sleeping Dogs I really enjoy having Wei deny he's a cop while dressed head to toe in SWAT gear. Also, eat and drink food while wearing a surgical mask. Also, slapping enemies with live fish.

It's also fun to do the Calvin missions while decked out in swat gear too.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Monkey God Karaoke Simulator 2012

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

jojoinnit posted:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

jojoinnit posted:

Look at this scrub that didn't play every second in his underwear.
How else are you supposed to seduce Emma Stone?!

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Inzombiac posted:

Look at this scrub that didn't play every second in his underwear.
How else are you supposed to seduce Emma Stone Not Ping?!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

jojoinnit posted:

It's much better with him dressed as a beat cop.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Samovar posted:

It's much better with him dressed as a beat cop.

This was my favorite, ultimate bluff check. "Yeah I'm uh...an undercover criminal, I'm deep in the police department."
"Checks out, no undercover cop would be stupid enough to go in uniform."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RagnarokAngel posted:

This was my favorite, ultimate bluff check. "Yeah I'm uh...an undercover criminal, I'm deep in the police department."
"Checks out, no undercover cop would be stupid enough to go in uniform."

Yeah, I can't help but see it as proof of how amazing he is as an undercover officer. He's wearing a beat cop uniform, with his own legitimate police badge and ID, and STILL managed to prove he's not a cop to hardcore Triads.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Obviously Wei Shen is such a badass criminal, that he beat up a cop and stole his uniform :colbert:

Heck, with the way most people play Sleeping Dogs, that might as well be canon.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
http://i.imgur.com/uI0ZqAS.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/lRyfkTe.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/oQTbHrh.gifv

Okay, 4 is almost exactly 3 but how can you not get tired of Nazi murder simulator 194X?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

System Shock, the original: I found an elevator, stepped inside...and the music instantly turned into cheesy elevator music. Okay, that's cute, I thought, and had the elevator take me up.

It immediately opened up into a room FULL of mutants - so full I couldn't even step outside! I had to fight them all while listening to that cheesy music, and when it should have been a triumph to step out of my tiny box of mutant terror...the research lab's music kicked in, and it's super ominous. So my triumph turned to dread, because what else is on this station? :ohdear:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Greatbacon posted:

I could probably make a big ol' effort post about why modern shooters/online games in general tend to have terrible communities.

I fired up TF2 for the first time in years (I don't do a lot of online gaming) and shut it right the gently caress off after ten solid minutes of children screaming "human being!" and "friend of the family!" I don't know how the hell anyone tolerates that poo poo. Two or three players are trying to coordinate plans to take an objective and their voices get drown out by kids screeching profanity, racial slurs, or, confusingly, the phrase "GET A JOB." Kid, you're like ten years old. I don't live with my parents, you do. Literally--I just heard your mom tell you to keep the noise down through your mic.

StrixNebulosa posted:

because what else is on this station? :ohdear:

The answer is "nothing good."

Enjoy :getin:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Playing Pokemon Moon at the moment. I was racing up a road to a Pokecenter and got yanked into a trainer battle. Normal enough except that they were facing away from me... while standing up. This trainer was doing stretches and spotted me through their legs as they touched their toes.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Nth Doctor posted:

Playing Pokemon Moon at the moment. I was racing up a road to a Pokecenter and got yanked into a trainer battle. Normal enough except that they were facing away from me... while standing up. This trainer was doing stretches and spotted me through their legs as they touched their toes.

I liked when things like that happened, makes them feel a bit more "alive". I think there's also a trainer that can challenge you by seeing you through a hole in a wall.
Also, I learned recently that one of the league defense battles is against a youngster.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

For being a game with not the best graphic at all, Astroneer really surprises me sometimes.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yeah, good lighting can really do a lot for a game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just recorded the Oakville Village part in the Swamp area in Ghosthunter for my LP and I love the foreshadowing of the new enemy types. They are different to the normal ghosts because you cannot use grenades to capture them, but they are also smarter. They work as a team, taunt you, and employ firearms. This is because they aren't ghosts- they are three hilbillies sitting in Sensory Deprivation Tanks astrally projecting themselves all over Oakville's ruin to defend it from the forces of the deranged Lady Me Montford, of which they think you are one. That's pretty cool. Also it's a really cool area that you can just about see from other parts of the swamp. The Oakville Bayou may be one of the nicest looking Louisiana swamps in games, due to being well lit and having very striking designs with the houses all half sunk into the water, all sitting at strange angles. :3: I also like that when you clear out the enemies in an area they don't respawn so you just get a nice quiet jog back to a crossroads to do the next part of the level.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Feb 22, 2017

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I've been playing Civilization: Revolution lately and there are a number of things about the game I absolutely adore.

- If you hover over the friendly villages (think Ruins from Civ: V) you can sometimes hear Baba Yetu playing.
- The game contains an 'Overrun' mechanic where if an attacking force is substantially stronger than the defending force the attackers instantly win the fight and get to attack again. This saves so much time when you're attacking enemy archers with tanks.
- Everyone in the game is a total dick to each other. If one advisor is telling you something and the next message comes from a different character they'll just bust into the screen and push the first person out of the way.
- Different upgrades affect the visuals of units. So a tank unit that has the 'move one space farther' upgrade has hiking equipment attached to it while the stealth upgrade paints the vehicle black.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
There are a lot of little things I like in Nioh, but I think the duels against human opponents are my favorite. There one fight that pits you against two dangerous humans at the same time. It's tense but never unfair, and Nioh gives the player enough tools that they're never really at a disadvantage.

Here's me showing that fight off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATpBZw6rpbs

I also love the two katana style, for one move in particular. I have a better video showing it off against the final boss of the game, but to avoid spoilers I'll post the one against the first boss of the game in NG+. The move I'm in love with is the one I use to shave off 3/4ths of the second health bar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2lByXqH2hw

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Been playing a bit of more of Kingdom Hearts Unchained. Not sure I'd recommend playing it since it seems to be reaching money trap status - but the backgrounds and environments you get to walk around in are really eye-pleasing.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Got Resident Evil 7 yesterday, and it's actually gotten me to jump a few times - sometimes just from the sound of the house creaking or Ethan's feet stomping around in goo.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
just got Styx: Master of Shadows. i'm liking the level design so far. the stealth can get a little wonky.

but the game knows what's important when it comes to doing stealth right.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Styx is great but later on their idea of a difficulty curve becomes "just more dudes literally everywhere", including often placing several non-patrolling guards literally right in front of a gate or door you need to go through, and you can't go around them. That said, one 'little thing' I did like about Styx was how they changed things up for the last couple levels. There's a new enemy type that "sees" differently, so you have to approach stealth differently than how you previously would, and it's a good way to increase the difficulty without just adding more of everything. It is a bit frustrating to deal with, but it's at least different.

Another little thing: there's a bit where a character says something like "I'll look after it like was me third testicle" in response to being handed an item, and to this day I remain baffled by that simile.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

LawfulWaffle posted:

There are a lot of little things I like in Nioh, but I think the duels against human opponents are my favorite. There one fight that pits you against two dangerous humans at the same time. It's tense but never unfair, and Nioh gives the player enough tools that they're never really at a disadvantage.

Here's me showing that fight off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATpBZw6rpbs

I also love the two katana style, for one move in particular. I have a better video showing it off against the final boss of the game, but to avoid spoilers I'll post the one against the first boss of the game in NG+. The move I'm in love with is the one I use to shave off 3/4ths of the second health bar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2lByXqH2hw

Do you mean the Fight with both Muneshige and Tadakatsu? Because that fight was amazing.

The other fight, the one where you fight Oda Nobunaga and his Yuki-Onna wife is by far some of the most fair unfair bullshit ever. That fight is so stacked against you, but because their attacks are so complimentary that they constantly cover one another.

As for content, Berserk has this thing where every few missions, Guts will update his look like in the series. They are following the movie series, which is worth a watch, and the Zodd fight actually feels like a fight. Unlike everything else, which just feels like you're controlling a walking woodchipper, the boss fight legit pushes you to use your dodge roll, guard and fast combos.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

J.A.B.C. posted:

As for content, Berserk has this thing where every few missions, Guts will update his look like in the series. They are following the movie series, which is worth a watch, and the Zodd fight actually feels like a fight. Unlike everything else, which just feels like you're controlling a walking woodchipper, the boss fight legit pushes you to use your dodge roll, guard and fast combos.

I haven't played it yet (but I bought it because it's a berserk game) but my absolute favorite thing about the game right now is that the free costumes that came with the game included the goofy drawn on face for Schierke. Also guts' fancy hat costume from that time he totally murdered a little kid is DLC.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Difficulty settings in Ghost Recon: Wildlands are player specific, simply changing the damage you take and how much UI support you get. Given the multiplayer focus this means the ultra OORAH TIER ONE guys can still have one or two gently caress-up tier players without simply making a cakewalk for the entire team - the token numpty simply soaks up a ton of damage instead.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh, and you can filter multiplayer by having it only connect with people USING ACTIVE loving MICROPHONES. That cannot be under-emphasized.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I like the chatter in Wildlands if you're using AI teammates. Instead of your guys barking out quick sentence fragments like other games, they'll actually have brief conversations. So like instead of just "HOSTILE 3 O'CLOCK" it'll be "Got eyes on a sicario" "I don't see him, point him out" "3 o'clock, by the gate." It's a little change that doesn't seem like much now that I've got it written out like this but it makes your team seem more like an actual team of people, rather than a couple extra guns tagging along with you.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh, and you can filter multiplayer by having it only connect with people USING ACTIVE loving MICROPHONES. That cannot be under-emphasized.

A breakthru equal to 3D movement.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The ending credits for DOOM are cool. They overlay each department over a cool tableau from the game that is, at least tangentially, related to their job and the whole thing has a bunch of electro butt rock playing.

Except the sound design people have the music quiet a little bit and a nice monster roar and gun cocking plays.

gently caress, that game ruled.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Inzombiac posted:

The ending credits for DOOM are cool. They overlay each department over a cool tableau from the game that is, at least tangentially, related to their job and the whole thing has a bunch of electro butt rock playing.

Except the sound design people have the music quiet a little bit and a nice monster roar and gun cocking plays.

gently caress, that game ruled.

Everything about Doom was the best little moment in Doom. It's like they decided to make a short, simple little game, then make it as pretty and colourful and fun as they possibly could, and spent a fuckton of development money on just letting the different departments throw in as many fun moments as they could. The sound design folks got their perfectly timed gun cocking, the gameplay folks got their scatter homing sticky rocket launcher with infinite ammunition, the animation folks got their fist bump on first Doomguy pickup and that wonderfully pointless reload animation on the pistol, the storyline folks got their "what if he just stomps the fuckin' thing" solution to literally all problems, and the level designers got to stick a bunch of old awfully-rendered Doom levels in the middle of a AAA shooter. It's just goddamn beautiful.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Honestly Bethesda has just been knocking it out of the park with the single player properties they've been supporting in the past few years and I love it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Honestly doom 2016 is a fantastic game and it's a shame all the developers can talk about is the multiplayer DLC
They haven't even hinted at a well deserved sequel

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

TontoCorazon posted:

Honestly Bethesda has just been knocking it out of the park with the single player properties they've been supporting in the past few years and I love it.
I think you mean the ones they're publishing right? Because drat, they're a fantastic publisher. Who would have thought Prey, of all franchises, would get a reboot?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I think you mean the ones they're publishing right? Because drat, they're a fantastic publisher. Who would have thought Prey, of all franchises, would get a reboot?

The only problem I have with Prey is that it's probably the worst case of "same title reboot" I've ever seen. They called the second Prey Prey.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They aren't exactly fantastic at marketing (a pretty important part of publishing) given that nvidia pretty much sold doom for them better than they did, but yeah recent bethesda games have been very good

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Well it could be worse, they could be developing them :v:

But yeah, it was weird how much under the radar Doom ran and I never woulda heard about Prey except because I was looking up Arkane after finishing Dishonored 2

Speaking of which, my fav thing from that, which isn't little, is the NG+ lets you use all the powers from the two different characters. It had already been kinda there if you hosed around with the game but the devs added it in themselves, which I think is admirable.

That and the completely customizable difficulty is rad as heck

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

"We have an unconventional new IP we want to put out in the market. We could risk going with an original title or... hey, what do we have in the way of dead franchise licenses?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

But yeah, it was weird how much under the radar Doom ran

I thought it was easy to understand. The last Doom reboot went really badly, and over the intervening 12 years id released exactly one game which was also pretty bad, so a lack of faith in this new one was justified.