Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yeah, that shot of his eyes in the shell gives me major creepage. There's some good stuff in there.

Xenomrph posted:

I'm an adult and this is rad as gently caress.

It still gets me pumped as an adult but as a kid this had me crawling on the ceiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
At the time, critics complained about the robots in The Black Hole being too 'cute', but considering the way that robot design has gone in the past four decades, Vincent and Bob are probably on the low end of the scale.

For all its faults, the film's got some great visuals, and the bit with Perkins and the 'robot' absolutely terrified me as a kid.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

But the official "canon" explanation right now is that Arcturians are extraterrestrials.

Canon is as ever a disease of the mind.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

dont even fink about it posted:

Canon is as ever a disease of the mind.

I've been saying this for a long time. There's a sweet article from last year that I posted on an AvP board a couple weeks ago that breaks down why canon is bad, I'll link it here later when I'm not phone posting.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i always figured they were some type of alien but didn't give it much thought since it's a throwaway joke. as always, nerds ruin everything.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only canon I think is important is, when people die in this series, they stay fuckin dead.

Other than that, I don't really care honestly.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

The only canon I think is important is, when people die in this series, they stay fuckin dead.

Other than that, I don't really care honestly.

That's a complete reasonable mindset after Alien Resurrection.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Xenomrph posted:

I've been saying this for a long time. There's a sweet article from last year that I posted on an AvP board a couple weeks ago that breaks down why canon is bad, I'll link it here later when I'm not phone posting.

You're cool, Xenormph. I forgive you for liking Alien: Colonial Marines.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't think i could forgive a sin of that magnitude.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'll do you one better. I don't hate any of the stand alone Alien films.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

alien: colonial marines is worse than resurrection in every possible way. even if it didn't have the how the gently caress do they explain away that hicks is on hadley's hope retcon it's just loving terribly made. like all time bad AAA title.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 25, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's total trash. My favorite part was Jhonen Vasquez's slowly realizing that the game was so lovely, so he flushed it down the toilet.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Colonial Marines is a true embarrassment in every way. Alien Resurrection is a lovely movie but it at least looks pretty and, as much as I hate the script itself I think the cast is rad and does basically the best they can do with what's there. I still hate that they got Michael Wincott to play a space pirate badass but then and killed him so early though.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Colonial Marines is a true embarrassment in every way. Alien Resurrection is a lovely movie but it at least looks pretty and, as much as I hate the script itself I think the cast is rad and does basically the best they can do with what's there. I still hate that they got Michael Wincott to play a space pirate badass but then and killed him so early though.

strong agree. all the character actors are puttin in overtime but the script itself is just hot garbage. a tru shame

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Here's the cool article about why canon is bad: https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/04/enough-with-the-true-canon/477837/

MonsieurChoc posted:

You're cool, Xenormph. I forgive you for liking Alien: Colonial Marines.
I step up to bat for certain things in Colonial Marines, even if the overall package is bad.

I like the weapon designs (both visually, and conceptually), and it does a good job of making the other weapons useful in certain situations as opposed to most Aliens/AvP games where the Pulse Rifle is the best gun 100% of the time, and the only time you don't use it is when you're out of ammo for it. Even the weapon mod/attachment system was nowhere near as lovely and "Call of Duty"-esque as I was expecting it to be. The artist on the currently-ongoing 'Aliens: Defiance' comic series (which is super cool and worth checking out, and way better than the other Aliens/AvP comics of late) happens to agree, and has slipped in some Colonial Marines game weapon cameos in his series.

I like that they threw in human enemies to change up the combat encounters from being 100% Aliens, I just wish the human AI hadn't been total garbage.

I liked the level design (and that they contracted Syd Mead), it visually felt like appropriate extensions of what we saw in 'Aliens'. The level where you get to explore the Derelict is pretty sweet (although the one from Alien Isolation blows it out of the water, holy poo poo).

The plot is bad, but I'll at least give Lance Henriksen credit for (mostly) bringing his A-game in voicing a new Bishop android and making him sound distinct from the 'Aliens' Bishop, but I chalk that up to Henriksen being a genuine class act who puts everything in to every project he does, no matter how lovely the overall project is.

As a dumb Aliens shooter where you shoot Aliens (and occasionally people), it's been patched and updated enough that in its current state it's nowhere near as broken as it was at launch. It's still not good, and it's still way worse than it should be, but there's way, WAY worse games out there that charge way more than the $5 it sells for on Steam nowadays.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Alien: Isolation is loving awesome, I just wish they didn't end it on a sequel hook.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

Alien: Isolation is loving awesome, I just wish they didn't end it on a sequel hook.
loving seriously, it's the goofiest poo poo (and undermines the one nagging bit of continuity with 'Aliens'). It doesn't help that even if a sequel happens, I don't know what they'd do to keep the gameplay fresh and interesting - Isolation really runs out of steam in the last third and the gameplay mechanics get really long in the tooth by the end.

The visual design is loving fantastic, though. I know I've plugged the game's concept art book in this thread before, but I'll do it again. That poo poo is great.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I was going to say the same thing, even if it sold a bajillion copies and they made a sequel to it, like, okay so she has ANOTHER run-in with an alien on a huge space station that's about to shut down to it only has a skeleton crew/etc.? They made such a singularly fantastic setting in Isolation.

Of all the cool details in it my favorite is that all the video footage in the game was copied onto a VHS tape, then they filmed a screen playing the tape, so the video interference isn't an effect it's literally the real deal and that's why it looks so good.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I always had a soft spot for the Black Hole. From wikipedia:

quote:

In November 2009, it was reported that Disney had plans to remake the movie. Director Joseph Kosinski (who directed Disney's 2010 film Tron: Legacy) and producer Sean Bailey are attached to the production,[7] and Jon Spaihts, who wrote the original script for the Alien prequel Prometheus, was confirmed as writer for the project on April 5, 2013.[20]

In 2016 it was announced that the movie's development was put on hold because Spaihts' script was considered "too dark for a Disney movie". Spaiths is quoted to have commented on the project's status:

"Black Hole was an amazing experience. That was one of those movies I was stuck on until I cracked the beginning, and suddenly it just started to flow. I loved that script. It sits uneasily in Disney’s world as a dark epic, and Disney is in a very colorful place.
They already have multiple big space epics going, so I don’t know how or whether it’ll find its way to light of day, but I sure wrote a heck of a movie and was thrilled to do it. It was very faithful to the original but clever in all the ways in that first film was silly, I hope."[21]

Sad what happened to the model of the ship...was awesome. And poor B.O.B., you know that poor bastard saw some poo poo in his time.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

loving seriously, it's the goofiest poo poo (and undermines the one nagging bit of continuity with 'Aliens'). It doesn't help that even if a sequel happens, I don't know what they'd do to keep the gameplay fresh and interesting - Isolation really runs out of steam in the last third and the gameplay mechanics get really long in the tooth by the end.

The visual design is loving fantastic, though. I know I've plugged the game's concept art book in this thread before, but I'll do it again. That poo poo is great.

Isolation was an amazing game for about 2 hours.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

loving seriously, it's the goofiest poo poo (and undermines the one nagging bit of continuity with 'Aliens'). It doesn't help that even if a sequel happens, I don't know what they'd do to keep the gameplay fresh and interesting

Replace the Alien with a Predator. Call it Predator: Isolation. Give Ripley a machine gun and a jungle to run around and mooks to get in shoot outs with like a better version of Predator 2 on Genesis. Bam, write me a check Sega, you're welcome.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Bloodcider posted:

Give Ripley a machine gun
Better yet, don't. Leave them lying around all over the place with the option to pick one up always present, but never shove one into her hands or require their use.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fish Noise posted:

Better yet, don't. Leave them lying around all over the place with the option to pick one up always present, but never shove one into her hands or require their use.

And since it's a Predator you're facing, make it real goddamn dangerous to consider picking up a weapon, for fear of provoking the Predator.

I'd play the poo poo out of a Predator game where it's got a competent, adaptive AI that appropriately hunts you.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Xenomrph posted:

And since it's a Predator you're facing, make it real goddamn dangerous to consider picking up a weapon, for fear of provoking the Predator.

I'd play the poo poo out of a Predator game where it's got a competent, adaptive AI that appropriately hunts you.

It can be the next evolution of that Friday the 13th game that's coming out soon. You need way better AI for a Predator than for Jason.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neo Rasa posted:

I was going to say the same thing, even if it sold a bajillion copies and they made a sequel to it, like, okay so she has ANOTHER run-in with an alien on a huge space station that's about to shut down to it only has a skeleton crew/etc.? They made such a singularly fantastic setting in Isolation.

Of all the cool details in it my favorite is that all the video footage in the game was copied onto a VHS tape, then they filmed a screen playing the tape, so the video interference isn't an effect it's literally the real deal and that's why it looks so good.

I kinda thought this because when I was a young kid, I'd make a bunch of Stop Motion alien movies, and I wanted to have the 20th Century Fox logo at the start, so I just filmed the opening to Predator 2 on VHS with my crappy early 2000's digital camera. Looked just like the opening to Isolation and made me feel all fuzzy and nostalgic.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

It can be the next evolution of that Friday the 13th game that's coming out soon. You need way better AI for a Predator than for Jason.

I don't know, even the NES can handle enemies you can't see shooting at you from off screen. :D

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't know, even the NES can handle enemies you can't see shooting at you from off screen. :D

I think the Isolation concept could be applied to Terminator, Predator or several slasher movies (Halloween, Nightmare on Elm St., Friday the 13th).

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Bill Paxton finally found a way out of this chickenshit outfit by, er, dying, apparently.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Why do I always hear about these things first on the SA forums?

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/835877238277025792

:(

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

You should have seen it coming. Dude dies in everything he's in.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Every man dies, not every man truly gets killed by both a Terminator, an Alien, AND a Predator.

BiggerBoat posted:

I think the Isolation concept could be applied to Terminator, Predator or several slasher movies (Halloween, Nightmare on Elm St., Friday the 13th).

It would seriously own. I think part of why Isolation sold at all is because it had such a strong aesthetic to sell. Like imagine a Jason game where they put as much work into capturing part of a decade like Isolation or GTA Vice City did.

Games where there's a major persistent big bad stalking you throughout have never been super huge sellers, but when they're done right they're always really cool and get a cult following like Clock Tower and stuff. I think it's one of those things that went away because we had a decade of all games being either mega huge super blockbuster budget events or $5 shovelware. Now that that's going away I hope to see more of it. There's a PC game called Miasmata that's really cool if you haven't played it. You're stranded on an island and have to go around doing botanical stuff to cure yourself and stay alive, but there's also this horned panther kind of thing wandering around doing stuff too. They did a great job with its AI and also a good job keeping its design simple so that it really can blend in with the scenery even at mid range. I think it's on sale on GOG often.

I wish the early Clock Tower games got released on GOG or Project EGG or something. The first two especially are like Giallo: The Video Game.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Every man dies, not every man truly gets killed by both a Terminator, an Alien, AND a Predator.

There's no way those should have been allowed in the operating theatre.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
He only had four more weeks and he was out. Now he bit it on this rock!

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Bill Paxton went to the same university as me. I still work there and I always thought there was a chance that he would show up to the theater department as a guest lecturer / distinguished alum, or just be spotted on campus (even though he dropped out, I think). Guess that's not going to happen now.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dan Didio posted:

Bill Paxton finally found a way out of this chickenshit outfit by, er, dying, apparently.

Whoa what the gently caress. I'm trying to articulate how I feel about this and it's all coming together as one big jumble.

Vaya con dios, man.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drat, RIP Wild Bill.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Game over man. RIP :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is the first thing I woke up too. I hate that poo poo. You check your phone, and your blurry vision slowly descends on a lone "RIP Bill Paxton" and then you kinda go back to sleep, and then outloud say "Wait WHAT!?"

Paxton was one of my favorite actors as a kid. Every movie of his I'd try and see. Especially Twister. gently caress did i love Twister. :(

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

It would seriously own. I think part of why Isolation sold at all is because it had such a strong aesthetic to sell. Like imagine a Jason game where they put as much work into capturing part of a decade like Isolation or GTA Vice City did.

Games where there's a major persistent big bad stalking you throughout have never been super huge sellers, but when they're done right they're always really cool and get a cult following like Clock Tower and stuff. I think it's one of those things that went away because we had a decade of all games being either mega huge super blockbuster budget events or $5 shovelware. Now that that's going away I hope to see more of it. There's a PC game called Miasmata that's really cool if you haven't played it. You're stranded on an island and have to go around doing botanical stuff to cure yourself and stay alive, but there's also this horned panther kind of thing wandering around doing stuff too. They did a great job with its AI and also a good job keeping its design simple so that it really can blend in with the scenery even at mid range. I think it's on sale on GOG often.

I wish the early Clock Tower games got released on GOG or Project EGG or something. The first two especially are like Giallo: The Video Game.

there's this little known indie game called Resident Evil 7 that just came out and it's pretty awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the first clock tower is mostly a rip-off of the argento film phenomena.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

there's this little known indie game called Resident Evil 7 that just came out and it's pretty awesome

if the game wasn't 60 bucks i'd pick it up (though it does the stupid flashback poo poo in the ship from what i've seen and i hate when video games do that to convey plot).