Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/02/24/samsung-launched-31-new-smartphones-in-2016/

Samsung launched 31 new smartphones in 2016. The amazing thing is that this is actually down from 56 new handsets in 2015. Can someone explain the rationale for that number of devices?

Middle-aged people want whatever phone is cheapest, and they recognize and therefore trust the Samsung name. Try convincing them to get a $100 Moto G when there's a Samsung phone on sale for $30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WattsvilleBlues posted:

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/02/24/samsung-launched-31-new-smartphones-in-2016/

Samsung launched 31 new smartphones in 2016. The amazing thing is that this is actually down from 56 new handsets in 2015. Can someone explain the rationale for that number of devices?

Fecundity is typically a response to evolutionary pressures such as one of your offspring bursting into flames.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
My Nexus 5 broke and in a pinch I bought an Asus Zenfone 3 Laser to replace it. It's fine, but I'm running into an annoying multitasking issue.

I can have a few apps open, but when I switch back and forth, the apps refresh/relaod rather than stay open where I left them.

Yesterday I got a message from Google saying I had to log into my account again. I opened LastPass to fill in the information, then had to switch to Google Authenticator for the six-digit code. Switching back to the Google app forced it to refresh, which meant I had to start the process over again. It was an endless loop. If I'm scrolling through Instagram and switch to check my email then go back, it refreshes and I lose my spot. If I'm listening to a podcast and switch away for a second, it reloads when I go back.

I've given "allow" access to all apps in Asus' bullshit auto-start manager and disabled "clean up in suspend" but it has done NOTHING. My years old Nexus 5 could do this poo poo just fine but the Zenfone can't multitask despite both devices having 2 GB of RAM and using the same apps.

Any ideas other than buy a new phone?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

wolfbiker posted:

Any ideas other than buy a new phone?

If you've read more than a page of this thread then you already know the answer.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Combat Pretzel posted:

I went back to my Nexus 5X because the iPhone is driving me nuts. Now I see that Google Home doesn't appear to work anymore? What's going on?

It's been doing this off and on for the last couple weeks for everyone. I think they messed something up in a recent update...

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

A little off topic, but I know Authy has been recommended in this thread in the past. It's still very early, but they are among (many many many) sites who use CloudFlare in some capacity. Only sites that used CloudFlare proxy are affected by cloudbleed, and we don't know if Authy is one of them yet, but if you use it, it might not be a bad idea to rotate your secrets.

Sources:
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1139
https://github.com/pirate/sites-using-cloudflare/blob/master/README.md

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

thebushcommander posted:

It's been doing this off and on for the last couple weeks for everyone. I think they messed something up in a recent update...

Yeah my wife and I are both having the issue. Rebooting fixes it but it seems to come back pretty quickly.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

TollTheHounds posted:

Anyone ever been prompted by Google Play Services that "Account Action Required"? Then when you tap it, it says there's been a change to my Google Account?

Google is having issues with account sign-in, resulting in errors with Android devices, OnHub, and Wifi

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Scroogled, again. :argh:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One of my Google wifi pucks was reset to defaults when I got home last night. Fortunately, it wasn't the one that was acting like the router.

Annoyingly, it was the one buried in my entertainment center so getting at the QR code to set it back up again was a pain. The other two are sitting out in the open.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 20, 2018

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Grumpwagon posted:

A little off topic, but I know Authy has been recommended in this thread in the past. It's still very early, but they are among (many many many) sites who use CloudFlare in some capacity. Only sites that used CloudFlare proxy are affected by cloudbleed, and we don't know if Authy is one of them yet, but if you use it, it might not be a bad idea to rotate your secrets.

Sources:
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1139
https://github.com/pirate/sites-using-cloudflare/blob/master/README.md

Oh goddamn it. I just set Authy up last week!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Good to know. Like many others, I got the popup, but only for one of the two accounts on my phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's honestly usually a lot of weird things popping up prior to IO every year as they reshuffle the back end.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Anybody noticed getting repeats on the Google Now news story stream? I don't know why, because it's a minor thing, but it sure irritates me.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Use the BlackBerry launcher :getin:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Use the BlackBerry launcher :getin:

I'm so god drat triggered

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Did they ever bring that really good picture lockscreen from BB to android? I see some apps on the Play store but they all have poor reviews which seem to indicate they don't even work.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Assistant coming to all 6.0+ phones this week in the US. Other English speaking countries and Germany after that, other languages later. https://blog.google/products/assistant/google-assistant-coming-to-more-android-phones/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Moto G5 and G5 Plus is official. G5 looks like they are trying to blend the G4 Play and Moto E into a lower end device because it's really scaled back. SD430, 5" 1080p screen but of questionable quality, no gorilla glass. Still has a fingerprint sensor though. G5 is NOT coming to the US, only the G5 Plus is.

The G5 plus is upgraded over the outgoing model.

5.2-inch FHD display w/Gorilla Glass 3
Snapdragon 625 processor
2GB/4GB RAM or 32GB/64GB storage depending on the model
12MP f/1.7 camera with Dual Autofocus (apparently the Galaxy S 7's camera)
3000mAh battery with Turbo Charging
fingerprint reader
all-metal body.

For some reason, the US version won't have NFC and sill using microUSB. It is going to start at $229 in the spring though and that's a shitton of phone for that price.

Motorola said they pulled back from 5.5" for both devices due to feedback from users who said they wanted smaller phones.

Moto is trying a new thing with the front fingerprint sensor that you can enable to use gestures instead of on screen buttons. Swipe left for back, swipe right for task switcher, tap for home. It's something that can be toggled on and off. It also looks like Moto revamped their stock launcher to ape the pixel launcher to a certain extent. It as a swipe up app drawer. Annoyingly though, it looks like moto is sticking to their too high DPI which limits the number of icons in a row to 4 instead of 5.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 26, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Annoyed at the G5. Was hoping Amazon would have done another branded deal like with the G4 but now it'll have to be the plus which probably won't be the $150 or whatever I paid for the G4.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No, the plus is supposed to start at $229. It's a hell of an upgrade over the existing G4 though, the SD625 is a workhorse.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Swipe left for back, swipe right for task switcher, tap for home.

Oh my god, its almost like the Pre's gestures. :stwoon:

(that's right, I've still got it bad for an 8 year old phone)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is it only me or the Nokia 6 looks really nice for its price. 229€ for a SD430, 4GB RAM and 64GB storage is a killer.

I am buying the new 3310 because gently caress it, it'll be my new alarm clock instead of my old rear end Galaxy S.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I've had my Pixel for a week now. I can't believe how amazing this phone is compared to my old Nexus 5. Pixel!!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've read that Nokia will have direct updates from Google, is it true? Will that mean that they will be Stock Android or close to a nexus device?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

So my wife's Asus ZenPad S10 started doing this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NndUMlzucws

It was unresponsive until I held the power button for about 10 seconds for a reboot. The table is only 2 months old from purchase. I'm guessing this is a good reason for a return?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Guillermus posted:

I am buying the new 3310 because gently caress it, it'll be my new alarm clock instead of my old rear end Galaxy S.

I find it curious that they are releasing the 3310

1. Without a quad-band radio
2. With 2G only considering many carriers are already shutting down 2G for 3G & LTE networks

It's like they don't want to sell many

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The 2G thing is ridiculous, but it's because they

- wanted to capitalise on the 3310 nostalgia factor.
- already have a bunch of 2G dumbphones for developing world locations
- didn't want to spend much money

Ergo, slap a new case on the Nokia 150 and call it the new 3310.

However. Nostalgia factor for the 3310 is only a thing in the developed world, Europe and Oz/NZ particularly where Nokia was overwhelmingly dominant, and a lack of 3G means it'll be basically unusable in most areas there, so... it's all pointless and they hosed it up.

Ah well. It made headlines if nothing else, which was the biggest thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

On the upside, the Nokia 3, Nokia 5 and Nokia 6 are apparently going to be running basically pure Android N. And promising to stay atop monthly security patches, though we'll see how it pans out.

If they keep to it and keep up the build quality, things may be heading up.

(Also, rumours/speculation are that they're waiting for Snapdragon 835 availability to launch their flagship high-end as Nokia 8)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 27, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I for one, am looking forward to Nokia finishing off BlackBerry once and for all.

This industry ain't big enough for both companies to come back from the dead surfing the nostalgia wave...

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Moto G5 and G5 Plus is official.

G5+ looks like it's going to be an amazing phone, especially for those who thought the 5.5in G4 was too big. If the camera matches the GS7 it will turn the already good camera from the G4+ into an amazing one. The Motorola enhancements to Android are still great and I miss Moto Display dearly. This is going to be hugely popular (especially in this thread).

I kind of wish I could go back to a smaller screen phone, but I'm still firmly in the honeymoon phase with the Mate 9's huge screen.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mental Hospitality posted:

G5+ looks like it's going to be an amazing phone, especially for those who thought the 5.5in G4 was too big. If the camera matches the GS7 it will turn the already good camera from the G4+ into an amazing one. The Motorola enhancements to Android are still great and I miss Moto Display dearly. This is going to be hugely popular (especially in this thread).

I kind of wish I could go back to a smaller screen phone, but I'm still firmly in the honeymoon phase with the Mate 9's huge screen.

Hell, I'm going to buy one and an SS card and just have it be my music player in my car, like an old iPod.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Would some kind goon please link me to the list of goon-approved chargers and cables for the Pixel I'm about to go and drop £600 on in 30 minutes? I'm in the UK if that's any odds.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I've only ever used one Android phone as my personal device, and that was a Nexus One. Since then, I've had an iPhone 4, 5, 6, 6s, 7 Plus. I'm kind of sick of Apple Services that I never use and how awful Siri is.

I applied for a loan through Google for the Pixel, and I could probably just buy one outright, but I'm kind of astonished at how the delivery estimate is over a month from now. It kind of makes me feel like I'll chicken out and just say gently caress it and stay with my iPhone.

I'm still on the fence, and I've been watching a lot of YouTube comparisons between Siri and Google Assistant, Android Auto vs CarPlay etc. Wondering if anyone here cares to share personal opinion on these if they have good/bad experiences.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

I've only ever used one Android phone as my personal device, and that was a Nexus One. Since then, I've had an iPhone 4, 5, 6, 6s, 7 Plus. I'm kind of sick of Apple Services that I never use and how awful Siri is.

I applied for a loan through Google for the Pixel, and I could probably just buy one outright, but I'm kind of astonished at how the delivery estimate is over a month from now. It kind of makes me feel like I'll chicken out and just say gently caress it and stay with my iPhone.

I'm still on the fence, and I've been watching a lot of YouTube comparisons between Siri and Google Assistant, Android Auto vs CarPlay etc. Wondering if anyone here cares to share personal opinion on these if they have good/bad experiences.

If it makes you feel better, the delivery estimate is probably very pessimistic. As for your question, my girlfriend just did about the same as you, hadn't used Android since the Nexus One days and just switched from a 6s to a Pixel. Google Assistant is a lot better most of the time, lacking in some cases. All in all she's disappointed that she likes Android better because she wanted to prefer iOS. In her words, "It's just nicer to use."

Dunno if that's much help.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

LastInLine posted:

All in all she's disappointed that she likes Android better because she wanted to prefer iOS. In her words, "It's just nicer to use."

Holy poo poo lol

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I would assume iOS has gotten less user-hostile since the days of iOS 6 when I last used it (I think that was the one where they introduced the notification shade but hadn't gotten rid of the goofy 'it's like paper and cloth and stitched leather' texturing) but it wasn't like it was thoroughly unusable back then. Android has always run the table on notifications but it's always had a problem of how the back button works versus how the back arrow in the top of an app works. It's somewhat unintuitive: OS back button on the bottom usually backs out of an app or dialogue tree while the app back arrow at the top will go back one 'step' within the app but there's lots of situations where the app will parse the back button just like the back arrow or just back up indefinitely within the app like it does with the official Twitter app. Clear as pie.

That said, iOS just throwing functions behind long-presses and horizontal swipes without any real breadcrumbs was infuriating and a solid part of why I stuck with Android even when it was a fragmented shitshow and all the good devices were GSM only.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

iOS has come a long way in improved functionality in terms of everything being mostly consistent and easy to understand. Oddly enough the only apps on my phone that don't behave like you'd expect them to on iOS are the ones made by Google (but I guess that, in and of itself, is expected).

edit: For the most part, I really enjoy navigating through iOS and the way notifications work now (except that they aren't grouped and at the end of the day I have over a dozen notifs that I never needed to take action on and I can only remove all or one at a time). I really enjoy 3D Touch options, and I'm glad to know Nougat is copying this with long-press actions. And Apple Pay/Wallet is a cinch and pleasure to use.

The problem I have with iOS is that the ecosystem relies way too much on its own services and for someone like me (I consider myself a power user) you can absolutely feel all the places where Apple doesn't want to open up to things like Google or Spotify or Amazon.

They obviously don't seem to be hurting financially or in terms of mindshare, but for users like me, they're shooting themselves in the foot by being so adamant about building and controlling everything themselves. Maps sucks, Siri sucks, Mail sucks, Safari sucks, News sucks, etc etc etc.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Man, even largish companies are loving up USB C on new products.

https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts/eKMuTSuqTre

If you have a GoPro USBC charger, DO NOT use it on any other device. If 12v delivery is requested by the device, it will happily pump out 15v for 10-20 seconds, potentially frying the device.