Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
After seeing the thread talk about it a bunch and hearing a friend watching it in the background of a discord chat, I finally decided to binge Star vs. The Forces of Evil. I'd watched the first episode when it first came out, and it didn't really grab me, but now after bulldozing my way through the series I have to say it's a pretty great show! Star in particular is a deceptively deep character, and I'm really interested in seeing where they go with things in Season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'd be more willing to believe that Marvel and DC are taking a more progressive stance to female characters if they weren't still largely drawing them in panties and/or vacuum packing their costumes around the curvature of their breasts.

To be fair, most male superhero costumes tend to be painted on, too. The problem is more with the proportions, poses, and plotlines.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I too watched Star thanks to this thread. It was a pretty slow burn for me, but in the end I did wind up enjoying it and will continue watching it. Everything with Ludo in season 2 REALLY helped, that stuff was great.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

DCAU was good, but apparently Bruce Timm insists that Barbara Gordon and Bruce Wayne bone each other with other incarnations of the characters.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I'm only really interested if they perform a seance and bring back the spirit of the DCAU.

Justice League Action is pretty good, the only problem is CN has it in some Saturday morning death slot. You know, the same time they lost Pokemon with.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The MSJ posted:

DCAU was good, but apparently Bruce Timm insists that Barbara Gordon and Bruce Wayne bone each other with other incarnations of the characters.

See also: The Killing Joke adaptation.

Actually don't see that, it's terrible.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The MSJ posted:

As with so many other creators, it's probably an issue of "there were other voices than just Bruce Timm on the DCAU and when he's isolated from non-crazy people to counterbalance his dumb fetishes his output is less good".

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Rhonne posted:

See also: The Killing Joke adaptation.

Actually don't see that, it's terrible.

The Barbara and Bruce pairing was still a bit sleazy in Beyond but with barebone details it was at least not completely stupid.

Also are any of the DC Universe Animated Original Movies good? I heard that at worst they're bad dark gritty edgelord and at best they're aggressively mediocre.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think the Batman Beyond movie is good, but it's been a while since I've seen it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The MSJ posted:

Which shows you how much input he had on the writing for JLU when dwayne mcduffie was writing for it. Mainly because Bat's main relationship was with Wonder Woman which was much better imo

Waffleman_ posted:

I think the Batman Beyond movie is good, but it's been a while since I've seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etst4t3ES8Y
This is basically in the same vein of The Killing Joke and much better

Also I love how Terry beats the Joker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LikMS5gDDI
Terry was so good as a character.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PhazonLink posted:

The Barbara and Bruce pairing was still a bit sleazy in Beyond but with barebone details it was at least not completely stupid.

Also are any of the DC Universe Animated Original Movies good? I heard that at worst they're bad dark gritty edgelord and at best they're aggressively mediocre.

The adaptations for New Frontier, Batman Year One, Superman vs The Elite, The Dark Knight Returns, and Flashpoint Paradox are all pretty good, as was Gotham Knight

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If we're going all the way back to beyond, I think it wild be a mistake to not mention Mask if the Phantasm, which will probably always be the best DC animated movie

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Crisis on Two Earths was a fun movie. James Woods voiced Owlman.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
so can anyone explain to me why my dvr appears to believe the season finale for Star vs. is at 7 in the goddamn morning

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

so can anyone explain to me why my dvr appears to believe the season finale for Star vs. is at 7 in the goddamn morning

Because that's the first time the episodes will play on TV. Disney XD on Monday is almost entirely Star vs from dawn to dusk, so you also have four more chances to see them after that.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Well then!

I guess Toffee didn't want to free Eclipsa after all.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, that...that was definitely a finale.

So...when is the next season?

It's not going to be an entire year like Gravity Falls, is it?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'll be either 3 like Rick & Morty, or 6+ like the Venture Bros.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

That was a pretty good way to tie things off with a bow. Star telling the truth not because it was about her and getting what she wants, but because she felt like this was probably the last time she was going to see Marco and that she owed it to him to tell him the truth and provide some sense of closure.

I liked that. :unsmith:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I feel really bad for Ludo. All his life he's been shat on by everyone, from his family to his minions to Toffee, and he finally gets a taste of the potential that he could obtain - only to be severely screwed out of everything he's earned (and this time, he earned those victories, dammit..)

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I really hope I can watch this sometime in the next 24hrs. Sounds enticing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Trebuchet King posted:

I really hope I can watch this sometime in the next 24hrs. Sounds enticing.

Both episodes are pretty great, and together are a strong finish for the season.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
That was a really good finale.

Yvonmukluk posted:

There isn't a big delay in production between season 2 and season 3
https://twitter.com/daronnefcy/status/705855435106988032
so it's up to Disney scheduling, not just production time.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I've heard rumors ranging from March to next February. Personally, I'd bet on July, since that's when season 2 started coming out.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The first episode of season three better be god drat tomorrow morning in my opinion.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

God drat that really was savage. Honestly the only thing that really bothers me is we have to wait who knows how long to find out where Glossaryck vanished to. Would Toffee-Ludo be strong enough to kill him?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

God drat that really was savage. Honestly the only thing that really bothers me is we have to wait who knows how long to find out where Glossaryck vanished to. Would Toffee-Ludo be strong enough to kill him?

Well he kicked basically the entire rest of the Council's rear end left right and sideways so...possibly?

Also: Nooo Chancellor :cry:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Who hype for Samurai Jack here?

Also, I haven't watched Adventure Time in quite some time but has the writing gotten worse because the last time I watched it was after he got hosed by the purple cloud lady and a bee who wanted to gently caress him rendered the entire plot about him losing his arm pointless, and that was shortly after he got his girlfriend stolen by a literally retarded elderly man

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
The show's gotten better since then. like people who feel that season 6 is the worst season overall often agree that it's got some of the show's top episodes, and seasons 7 and 8 are Good

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The voices of Marco and Starfan13 (also the creator of the series) are doing an in-character live chat thing right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsp_sSQwuxk

e: It looks like they're going to give a recap of the events up to the last two episodes, then break for them to air on TV, then do an in-character Q&A at 9:00 EST.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 28, 2017

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Pakled posted:

The voices of Marco and Starfan13 (also the creator of the series) are doing an in-character live chat thing right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsp_sSQwuxk

e: It looks like they're going to give a recap of the events up to the last two episodes, then break for them to air on TV, then do an in-character Q&A at 9:00 EST.

That's both adorable and technically impressive, also lmao at the kids (I assume/hope) making the chat go at a mile a minute.

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 28, 2017

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

watched it; feel like all I can really say is "Aw."

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
That was a great finale and I'll be Real Mad if we have to wait another year for more

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

That was actually the series finale. There will be no more adventures. A cruel lesson on how capricious life can be. :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

That was actually the series finale. There will be no more adventures. A cruel lesson on how capricious life can be. :v:

ill fuk u up m8

swear on me mum

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Man, Star Vs really pulled it off this season! There were some bad episodes on the first half but it got it's stuff together and became one of the best cartoons around!

I just hope precious Ludo is okay

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I liked how the episode before the season finale had Mama Butterfly talk to Star and tell her how proud she was to have her for a daughter. She knew better than anyone else that Bad poo poo was about to go down and that hit me harder than anything else in the finale. :unsmith:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Benne posted:

That was a great finale and I'll be Real Mad if we have to wait another year for more
It could be worse you could be a Venture Bros fan

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked that Moon was actually enjoying the new song... right up until the national secrets came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked that Moon was actually enjoying the new song... right up until the national secrets came out.

I liked how the Marco puppet was clearly an altered Princess Marco doll. :v: