Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argas posted:

More plausible but I'm still personally on the side of probably not, because I don't think Gaelio would approve of it. Not that it wouldn't stop Rustal from sneaking it in somehow.

Also, do we know if Rustal was commanding the Arianrhod Fleet during the Dort rebellion? Because this episode basically shows that he totally could've commanded the fleet at the time.

Edit: Maybe Rustal did sneak it in, knowing that Gaelio would opt not to use it...but Ein totally would.

If Gaelio gave a single poo poo about Dainsleif usage, he wouldn't be backing the guy that just used them en-masse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try looking at it again with one of those side-shields plugged into the back, including the lance shaft as the bigass electromagnetic accelerator core (theoretically).

It might not get used in the show (G-Arcane's flight mode *cough*) but the hints to some sort of bombartment/special launching mode are there in the model/design.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Didn't Tomino claim he just plain forgot the G-Arcane had a flight mode at all?

They've been pretty good about signposting and utilizing abilities of their mobile suits in this.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

He did, that's why I'm not taking background/modelkit abilities as a guarantee on what will happen in the show any more; keeps it more exciting.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If Gaelio gave a single poo poo about Dainsleif usage, he wouldn't be backing the guy that just used them en-masse.

I don't think he'd object to their use, they need to win after all and he never objected to Rustal's underhanded strategies in the past. However, he may find it distasteful. Even when he had McGillis cornered outside Bael he still gave him the chance to board it first. I don't think he wants a fair fight per say, but he wants to personally tear apart McGillis' scheme and general philosophy. While a good shot with the dainsleif would do it, I doubt he'd get any satisfaction out of it. He'd have to break down Bael and McGillis bit by bit, rather than so fast that McGillis has no time to even taste defeat.

And IMO it'd be relatively easy to get Gaelio to agree to equipping them on the Kimaris Vidar. It would not be at all difficult to suggest that McGillis may bring dainsleif to the battle and they should be ready just in case.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kudelia is going to announce that she secretly stowed herself inside Rustals ship which will cause Ein to go loving insane and dainsleif Rustal's ship in a fit of blind idiot rage

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I love that the superweapon in IBO isn't a nuke, a colony, or a literal doomsday laser. Just a metal rod in a railgun.

...That's about all I love about this episode. :negative:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Boy, I bet Rustal is pretty happy that he had a bunch of pilots with Dainsleif experience.

I hope you "not enough people died in season 1" people are happy now. Is your bloodlust sated yet?!?!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I saw it coming, and it still loving hurt.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I really don't want want Julietta to die next ep. I like her! She's had actual character development! ...She's going to die, isn't she? There aren't many named characters on Rustal's side, and Julietta's the only sympathetic one apart from Gaelio.

Iok being all shocked and going 'He's thinking about after the battle, too..."about Rustal. Oh, Iok. There are no brains in his pretty head. We already knew this, but that just drives it in more. I'm seriously hoping that the series doesn't try to pull a redemption for Iok at some point.

Rather than wanting one side to win, it's more that I'm just hoping that my favourites from each side survive. I don't think there's a "good" side in this fight.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Even though it dodn't work out, I enjoyed that brief moment of Rustal completely losing his poo poo when he realized what Shino was doing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I laughed when Iok rushed to be in front of Rustal

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Julietta is literally Quess :laugh:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Well, there does seem to be considerably more honesty in her relationship with the older man she idolises. Like when he spells out how utterly lethal Mika is and why he still needs her to go up against him. Char would just have gone 'it's cool, you've got this, and yes, I totally have the hots for you like you do for me'.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Zwingley posted:

I love that the superweapon in IBO isn't a nuke, a colony, or a literal doomsday laser. Just a metal rod in a railgun.

...That's about all I love about this episode. :negative:

We've only seen them fired in space and in-atmosphere on Mars, right? Makes me wonder, if you fired one from outside of orbit, if it'd work for kinetic bombardment.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Episode was good but it reminded me of how every non-Mika pilot in Tekkadan is basically interchangeable to me at this point.

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

I find Julietta is much easier to accept as a character than Quess ever was.

Caros
May 14, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

We've only seen them fired in space and in-atmosphere on Mars, right? Makes me wonder, if you fired one from outside of orbit, if it'd work for kinetic bombardment.

I don't think we actually saw them fired on Mars did we? I thought they had the rail guns but not the full gently caress off warcrime which was why they had to frame them.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Van Dine posted:

I really don't want want Julietta to die next ep. I like her! She's had actual character development! ...She's going to die, isn't she? There aren't many named characters on Rustal's side, and Julietta's the only sympathetic one apart from Gaelio.

Iok being all shocked and going 'He's thinking about after the battle, too..."about Rustal. Oh, Iok. There are no brains in his pretty head. We already knew this, but that just drives it in more. I'm seriously hoping that the series doesn't try to pull a redemption for Iok at some point.

Rather than wanting one side to win, it's more that I'm just hoping that my favourites from each side survive. I don't think there's a "good" side in this fight.

Still five episodes left, she's probably at the point where she's most willing to go cyber and if she gets hosed up she's probably going to go with it. Probably wont happen unless there is a pause in the fighting.

Caros posted:

I don't think we actually saw them fired on Mars did we? I thought they had the rail guns but not the full gently caress off warcrime which was why they had to frame them.

We havent actually seen them fired on land before but we know they are capable of being used there. The flauros was discovered with several rods surrounding it and the MA.

e- Just realized the flauros can never loving finish the job

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 26, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Caros posted:

Yeah, the Dainsleifs are the ammunition, giant spears made of the same material as Gundam frames. Railguns that can fire Dainsleifs are rare, and will get you looked at funny, but are not illegal in and of themselves.

Can't help but wonder if Iok will eventually mod his own railgun to fire Gundam-alloy projectiles.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It was commented on in an earlier episode that Tekkadan was using them to fire HE rounds, which, with the huge velocity the railguns provide, is still enough to gently caress up most things.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I guess if Rustal has a billion of those illegal weapons around, the theory that McGillis randomly has mobile armors probably wouldn't change the tide too much.

I'm actually surprised McGillis's side had that many ships left after they said "We lost half our forces!"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tae posted:

I guess if Rustal has a billion of those illegal weapons around, the theory that McGillis randomly has mobile armors probably wouldn't change the tide too much.

I'm actually surprised McGillis's side had that many ships left after they said "We lost half our forces!"

I think it's around 70% now. The they have lost half remark was before the Deinslaifs were brought in if I recall.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There may not be much of a gjallarhorn left by the end of this show.

The little Tekkadan that could.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Nah, there's plenty of Gallyhorn if the panning shot of Rustal's fleet mean anything. And keep in mind, at least two factions back on Earth are holding back their forces.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Well, I don't think Rustal is surviving this. Neither is McGillis, for that matter. There is always the chance that things go pretty pear shaped for everyone by the end of the series.

Those two factions who stressed neutrality are going to have a lot of ground/space to cover, and even if gjallarhorn persists their sphere of influence is going to take a pretty comical nosedive.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Rustal is also not targeting a chunk of McGillis's forces cause he knows they will give up if the rebels fall.

Also I think Tekkadan might just run this time around. They are losing really hard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like that we saw one of Tekkadan's big crazy put everything on the line plans using ships and surprise just completely bomb. It has worked for them so often that seeing it falter in the critical moment really drives home how hosed they are.

Also I'm pretty sure Juliette is just legitimately the overall most talented pilot in the setting and if she had A-V she'd be unstoppable, which really drives home that the choice for her to maybe Ein herself isn't a nonsense one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I like that we saw one of Tekkadan's big crazy put everything on the line plans using ships and surprise just completely bomb. It has worked for them so often that seeing it falter in the critical moment really drives home how hosed they are.

Also I'm pretty sure Juliette is just legitimately the overall most talented pilot in the setting and if she had A-V she'd be unstoppable, which really drives home that the choice for her to maybe Ein herself isn't a nonsense one.

Well, best living pilot - Amida and Galan were total monsters, and Lafter and Crank were very impressive. And even that's not guaranteed, since McGillis is still around, even if his new enhancements make it difficult to compare the two now.

It would be pretty rad if Azee swings back into the picture and starts laying waste to everything in sight, though.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Boy, I bet Rustal is pretty happy that he had a bunch of pilots with Dainsleif experience.

I hope you "not enough people died in season 1" people are happy now. Is your bloodlust sated yet?!?!

No, I want more blood. This is Tekkadan's Waterloo, the end of their beautiful dream. With that said, they'll still win somehow.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah I also appreciated their crazy suicide plan with a single point of failure actually failed for once. It was pretty significant that Julietta somehow clutched it out for her team after a season of self-doubt and that Mika failed to stop her. Her arc about having the humility to accept your limits was pretty fun, and it shows in this battle, where she fights Mika purely to buy time. Next episode she will die, but that's war for you.

As far as Rustal's actions here go, none of it particularly surprises me. He is and has always been a bastard, but he doesn't have any of the illusions that mislead Iok or season one's Gaelio and Carta. In a war like this, an absolute struggle between incompatible claims to authority, each side will use every weapon at their disposal without discrimination. At least this time the railguns were being fired at combatants and not random civilians.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope Baal goes Devil Gundam and eats everything.

I dunno, anything's more exciting than "bland looking gundam."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lestaki posted:

Yeah I also appreciated their crazy suicide plan with a single point of failure actually failed for once. It was pretty significant that Julietta somehow clutched it out for her team after a season of self-doubt and that Mika failed to stop her. Her arc about having the humility to accept your limits was pretty fun, and it shows in this battle, where she fights Mika purely to buy time. Next episode she will die, but that's war for you.

I have a feeling Julietta will survive the series. Even if she were to die I don't think it will be next episode. We have like 5 or so left as well.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

MonsterEnvy posted:

I have a feeling Julietta will survive the series. Even if she were to die I don't think it will be next episode. We have like 5 or so left as well.

Yeah, I think her arc as a bit too much to go yet. I think she needs a reason (or another reason) to consider getting AV surgery or getting installed permanently into the Julia. Both for her own descision and Galieo's thoughts on the matter.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Most of the time, the inevitable fleet actions in Gundam are kinda boring to watch because it's just endless panning of Napoleonic line firing from the capital ships with the occasional shot of (insert character here) stomping some mooks, but the IBO animators managed to make theirs suitably brutal, so good on them.

Also, obligatory Holy poo poo at most of the occurrences in this episode.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, best living pilot - Amida and Galan were total monsters, and Lafter and Crank were very impressive. And even that's not guaranteed, since McGillis is still around, even if his new enhancements make it difficult to compare the two now.

It would be pretty rad if Azee swings back into the picture and starts laying waste to everything in sight, though.

If we see Azee again she'll be teamed up with Kudelia and the remnants of Tekkadan in the epilogue as part of a "give Human Debris and exploited women a chance" organization on Mars.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I hope Baal goes Devil Gundam and eats everything.

I dunno, anything's more exciting than "bland looking gundam."

Im half expecting McG to reveal to Rustal that he just triggered his trap card by killing all his troops. You see, Bael is the shows "Runs on dead people" robot and his fed it brilliantly.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The entire point of Bael is that it's powerful as a symbol. To then actually make it super powerful would defeat its purpose.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
Speaking of Bael, this pose made me smile. McGillis is such a dork sometimes.

It would really amuse me if Bael has no notable special abilities besides being a symbol of authority, while in practical terms it is just an under-equipped Gundam frame. But we need some fireworks for the inevitable McGillis-Gaelio showdown.

I also enjoyed both McGillis and Rustal looking like deer in the headlights as they faced down the barrels of oversized railguns.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Man, that's just the goddamn O Riser

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

If we see Azee again she'll be teamed up with Kudelia and the remnants of Tekkadan in the epilogue as part of a "give Human Debris and exploited women a chance" organization on Mars.

Which would make her the only person of the three 'killed' in the season 1 finale to survive season 2. Well, arguably Ride could join that club, but Ride's odds are not good in the next few.

And yeah. Tekkadan's not doing great at the moment. As in, they're pretty drat hosed.

Curious how this is going to end, because even death or glory plays seem like they just wind up with death at the moment, but a pure nihilistic ending doesn't seem quite in the show's style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lestaki posted:

It would really amuse me if Bael has no notable special abilities besides being a symbol of authority, while in practical terms it is just an under-equipped Gundam frame. But we need some fireworks for the inevitable McGillis-Gaelio showdown.

Know what we haven't had yet in this show? Funnels! Though I guess Rex's tail comes close.

• Locked thread