Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nuebot posted:

The Breaker is pretty great, the sequel has a lot of awkward plot issues and ends on a disappointing note because the creators will never come back to finish the series.

Have you read Veritas and Shamo yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Doc Hawkins posted:

Nope, but they're definitely both on my list now!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jose posted:

i'm rereading the breaker and its good if you like bad rear end old men. this is from part 2

My big issue with this one is oh god I can't remember anyone's name in it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Doc Hawkins posted:

Did Shamo ever end? Chapters seemed to be released like once a year so I dropped it.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

My big issue with this one is oh god I can't remember anyone's name in it.

The names changing every other chapter certainly didn't help.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 26, 2017

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Brainamp posted:

Did Shamo ever end? Chapters seemed to be released like once a year so I dropped it.

It ended in probably the worst way. Think 'worse than Gantz' ending.

Breaker New Waves is best read as a proverb on respecting your elders.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i was kind of tired of the story when part 2 of the breaker ended and i don't really care that it will never be continued.

veritas, though? it ended on a ridiculously interesting cliffhanger and it kills me that it will never get a second part.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

That Works posted:

Breaker New Waves is best read as a proverb on respecting your elders.

a comment on korean society it fumbles completely lol

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Nope, but they're definitely both on my list now!

Well, they'll certainly help you get over the feeling of disappointment at an unsatisfying ending! :v:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Grand Blue is about friends being horrible shits to each other :allears:

(Also about scuba diving I guess.)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Okay I'm convinced here I go

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Jose posted:

a comment on korean society it fumbles completely lol

Huh. They must exist, but I don't think I've read any manhwa that I could recognize as even-okay social commentary. Have you?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

Well, they'll certainly help you get over the feeling of disappointment at an unsatisfying ending! :v:

So I've picked up from the comments here :argh:

Anyway, for actual content;

BioMeat is a pretty fun suspense series about a bunch of artificially created creatures (the titular Bio Meat) designed to eat all the garbage in Japan, and what happens when they escape containment. I first found out about it thanks to one of those old rear end "What has kirby been eating?" topics in GBS so that's my story.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

Huh. They must exist, but I don't think I've read any manhwa that I could recognize as even-okay social commentary. Have you?

Anything non-comedy by ha il kwon. Annarasumanara, 3 level combination and after school military activity are some of his best works.

how about this for social commentary?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Nuebot posted:

So I've picked up from the comments here :argh:

Anyway, for actual content;

BioMeat is a pretty fun suspense series about a bunch of artificially created creatures (the titular Bio Meat) designed to eat all the garbage in Japan, and what happens when they escape containment. I first found out about it thanks to one of those old rear end "What has kirby been eating?" topics in GBS so that's my story.

I also recommend Bio Meat only because of in like the second or third arc they introduce my very favorite American character in anime based on name alone. Commander CRACKSTAR DOUGLAS!

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

The author of Bio Meat has a very... interesting tendency of drawing villainous NPCs physically ugly, giving them motivations that amount to "evil for evil's sake" and then getting gruesomely killed, while the handsome protagonists escape by the skin of their teeth every time.

This is a concurrent theme in all of his series.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Beelzebub's author has a new serialization on jump. I won't even post a picture, that should be enough convincing.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hungry-Marie/Ch-001--Marie-Therese-Charlotte?id=348156

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Bushmeister posted:

The author of Bio Meat has a very... interesting tendency of drawing villainous NPCs physically ugly, giving them motivations that amount to "evil for evil's sake" and then getting gruesomely killed, while the handsome protagonists escape by the skin of their teeth every time.

This is a concurrent theme in all of his series.

This is a recurring theme in fiction.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Biomeat is great and kind of gave me a big Speilberg/disaster movie vibe, with the plucky young kids saving the day from the dumb adults who get eaten to gently caress. The 'sequel' of the second act even feels like a sequel you'd see in that kind of genre where they dial it up 200%.

"Surely this time the highly-destructive bioweapon will not escape containment and run out of contr oh gently caress."

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

nerdz posted:

Beelzebub's author has a new serialization on jump. I won't even post a picture, that should be enough convincing.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hungry-Marie/Ch-001--Marie-Therese-Charlotte?id=348156

Well, this is something, alright. There's a couple of lines that sort of fall into word salad for me, but I've pretty much got the plot. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

nerdz posted:

:eyepop: that did not go in the direction I expected it to.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

nerdz posted:

Anything non-comedy by ha il kwon. Annarasumanara, 3 level combination and after school military activity are some of his best works.

I dunno about just non-comedy man, God of Bath is some heavy poo poo.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

I dunno about just non-comedy man, God of Bath is some heavy poo poo.

It's hard to believe the dude is focusing on Sperman now.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Nuebot posted:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

nerdz posted:

Well that was a rollercoaster.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I'm just glad Taoism will finally get the respectful and serious manga treatment it deserves.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm just glad Taoism will finally get the respectful and serious manga treatment it deserves.

Does the Taoist faction in Touhou count as a respectful and serious treatment?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

JosephWongKS posted:

Does the Taoist faction in Touhou count as a respectful and serious treatment?

The Taoists are in fact the raddest and coolest, so yes

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nuebot posted:

:same:

Now I'm expecting that her story about "love" is actually about food. This is going to be a cooking manga

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

:same:

Now I'm expecting that her story about "love" is actually about food. This is going to be a cooking manga

I mean, the title is literally "Hungry Marie". I'd be more surprised if it weren't.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
tower of god is good

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I don't know anything about it, but that picture does not sell it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I don't know anything about it, but that picture does not sell it.

it was a good webtoon that fell victim to the curse of long running shonen after a strong start and became drawn-out, bloated, and generally dull

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

okay but why is that man hugging one of the rhinos from Babar

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Is that what that thing is? I was about to make a Dave Sim joke.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I have no idea what it is, but I watched Babar more than I read Cerebus.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

it was a good webtoon that fell victim to the curse of long running shonen after a strong start and became drawn-out, bloated, and generally dull
I kind of zone out when it gets to :words:y "battles" but it's generally been pretty solid, as of late. Baam actually met up with most of his old crew (including Yuri, from all the way in Chapter 1) and that's led to some decent developments.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I kind of zone out when it gets to :words:y "battles" but it's generally been pretty solid, as of late. Baam actually met up with most of his old crew (including Yuri, from all the way in Chapter 1) and that's led to some decent developments.

I don't doubt you but on the other hand that should have happened literal years ago so I don't really have the motivation to get back into at this point after i stopped reading as they came out probably like a hundred chapters ago

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Rangpur posted:

Is that what that thing is? I was about to make a Dave Sim joke.

He's a tiny alligator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RatHat posted:

He's a tiny alligator.

No, he is a giant alligator man.

• Locked thread