Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

you get a hilarious level lead and red buff for no mana cost or health cost, then you do a hilariously good gank and then instantly clear a camp on your way to your next gank

unless you get a meatball of a player who would rather lose than be wrong

Neurolimal stop ghost posting me you agreeing with me makes my point seems stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I just played a support Zilean game with full tank Mundo top and Olaf jungle, and speeding either/both of them into the enemy team was the most fun I've had supporting in a month.

What do you even do about the 3500 hp Olaf running at your back line at like 550 movement speed?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mystery Prize posted:

I just played a support Zilean game with full tank Mundo top and Olaf jungle, and speeding either/both of them into the enemy team was the most fun I've had supporting in a month.

What do you even do about the 3500 hp Olaf running at your back line at like 550 movement speed?

Go 100% crit Jhin and outrun/juke his axes with Zilean support, or alternatively, have good enough wards that you can catch someone on their team and make it a 5v4 so he's useless or catch the Olaf and force him to blow his ult to run away.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Nasus backdoor?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Holy loving poo poo people on the League subreddit are so loving retarded it's incredible

They're literally arguing that a support Nunu with smite should have been banned, even though the Singed smite support thing was already put to bed

God drat I lust for eternal death

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Teikanmi posted:

Holy loving poo poo people on the League subreddit are so loving retarded it's incredible

They're literally arguing that a support Nunu with smite should have been banned, even though the Singed smite support thing was already put to bed

both should be banned

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i dont really like the idea of just saying wildly off meta poo poo should be banned, but riot basically backed themselves into this corner by making adc a role that absolutely requires a willing participant laner in order to even play the game so get these smite "supports" the gently caress out of here

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

rabidsquid posted:

i dont really like the idea of just saying wildly off meta poo poo should be banned, but riot basically backed themselves into this corner by making adc a role that absolutely requires a willing participant laner in order to even play the game so get these smite "supports" the gently caress out of here
They never really cared about this stuff before role selection was added into the interface. Now they kinda have to enforce roles more rigidly. If they let it slide then autofilled supports would be even more unbearable, with people grabbing smite and second jungling because of that one Nunu guy who made it work that one time.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
let people play whatever they want.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tired Moritz posted:

thats a good point, im going to reimagine the support position as double mid from here on

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Tired Moritz posted:

thats cool in normals but when you're trying to play ranked and it's already frustrating to play and someone locks in the smite nidalee and says trust me I've got this

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Tired Moritz posted:

It's loving miserable to 2v1 as an adc while your 'support' fucks around with the opposing jungler the entire game

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
im cool, I don't play ranked.

rabidsquid posted:

thats a good point, im going to reimagine the support position as double mid from here on

yeah, I play Karma too.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Sexpansion posted:

Nasus backdoor?

The enemy inhibitor respawned as we were killing their nexus on two separate occasions

We utterly rolled bot lane by virtue of Bard being one of the worst support players I have ever seen, but it didn't matter, because Malzahar had 1800 ping for the first 35 minutes and Renekton was too busy failing to dive the full armor Nasus and/or 1v4ing

Then we all died on the second attempt to kill the nexus, thwarted by the respawning inhibitor, and the Nasus ended the game solo during our death timers

I am literally never playing league of legends again, i have no interest in a game that has no interest in letting 1/5th of each team have actual zero impact on their team winning outside of ridiculous corner cases and/or zyra (in fairness the game i played with the 3/11 gangplank and 0/13 yasuo, with gangplank's kills being an ult underneath our t1 tower as i stunned their entire team as leona inside it, was also a contributing factor)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

rabidsquid posted:

I imagine most people don't even know how to counter double mid, to the point where this strategy may be quite viable. The meta can be surprisingly fragile when counters aren't well known.

Like if their mid doesn't have good waveclear or an ability to play safely, then they need to put two people in mid too. And if they don't you come out way ahead (especially if your bot has good waveclear in the 1v2).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I fondly remember when jungling was considered a troll pick that you were only doing to spite your top laner

E: Ashe mid was either the norm or an insidious troll depending on the phases of the moon

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 26, 2017

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It's obvious that something needs to be done about the support role. They've tried making support gameplay (gold income, etc.) smoother and more appealing, but that didn't work, so they're trying to hammer top-shaped pegs into support-shaped holes via the autofill system. In an outcome no one could possibly have seen coming, this leads to unhappy people who perform poorly.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

add a fourth lane

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Supports are fine, it's ADC's that are busted and antiquated. It's no surprise that many of the best ADC's either dont play like ADC's (Jihn, Graves) or have obscene numbers/damage amplifiers (MF, Vayne)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

If they could break away from the idea of the support needing to be the adc's nanny and/or playmaker, to where it's more of an egalitarian relationship between two heroes who happen to be in a duo lane together, that would be a big step. I'd argue that this is the sort of thing that should have been done all along (and perhaps tellingly, it was the way me and my friends played LoL in the ignorant days near launch, as well as HoN and DotA many years before that).

Unfortunately, doing it at this stage probably requires a rethinking of all the current support heroes and possibly the queue system, because if you have a lane where one side is two heroes doing their own things and the other side is a powerful support/initiation toolkit working in concert with the adc, the side that still has a dedicated support toolkit/player probably wins. That's fine in comp play or if people are queuing as a 5-stack but it's pretty terrible in yolo queue.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
why do people keep afking in aurf :(

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
It never fails. I get a promo, advance, and my first matches are always with feeder teams. I know you're supposed to 'carry your team' but what am I supposed to do when the enemy is up 7 kills in 7 minutes off the other lanes?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Teikanmi posted:

I saw that and the guy is like d3-d1 with nunu smite support so it probably has some strength. Imo you should play anything anywhere if you are good with it. I played with a guy in like d5 who use to only GP bot but he played pretty well so I don't think anyone cared. Of course as soon as he loses one game he is probably the one blamed.

I only almost exclusively play meta champs but I think off meta champs are fine as long as you aren't picking them to grief others. People who are one tricks of weird off meta poo poo like Nunu support or singed support probably think that is good and if they have a decent winrate I don't see why they should be forced to play meta.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Unless you're Challenger, it's hard to have any real reaction except laughter when someone at your same MMR is flaming you for being "bad."

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Totally, also I have seen so many weird off meta stuff work that at this point nothing surprises me. If you play enough ranked nothing really surprises you. My favorite off meta pick was support ap Ez he carried so hard lol.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
It's a lose lose for Riot to react either way. They ban the guy for doing wacky smite ignite bot lane antics people screech Riot is trying to pigeonhole people into roles and solidifying the meta, they don't and you get games of people doing deliberately wacky poo poo and pissing people off and making the game miserable.

Personally I flinch when a goon says trust me, my triforce Janna toplane is legit as gently caress and the proceed to go 1/17. Doing something wacky within reason is cool but there's a limit.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Weird gimmicks have a tendency to be super risky, and when they are done from bot lane you are also putting your partner's game on the line too. It's really hard to recover when your Panth support with ignite who started longsword wasn't able to pick up any early kills.

The problem is the game relies super heavily on adhering to role meta and team composition without doing much to lead players into making good choices.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

LeJackal posted:

It never fails. I get a promo, advance, and my first matches are always with feeder teams. I know you're supposed to 'carry your team' but what am I supposed to do when the enemy is up 7 kills in 7 minutes off the other lanes?

Seriouspost: I recommend not playing comp on the weekends.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

JerryLee posted:

Seriouspost: I recommend not playing comp on the weekends.

This is a smart idea.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

LegalPad posted:

Weird gimmicks have a tendency to be super risky, and when they are done from bot lane you are also putting your partner's game on the line too. It's really hard to recover when your Panth support with ignite who started longsword wasn't able to pick up any early kills.

The problem is the game relies super heavily on adhering to role meta and team composition without doing much to lead players into making good choices.

It's even more problematic in bot lane because if bot goes early then multiple dragons go with it. First tower bonuses are also pretty huge and it's generally a pretty good idea to dogpile bot lane early for that. Seeing off meta things doing badly is a blaring klaxon saying "KILL THIS TOWER IMMEDIATELY."

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Off meta can work pretty well if you're a scrub like me and play bads. Today our ADC accidentally locked in akali without paying attention. Support picked veigar. They chilled until 6, then wrecked face, we won pretty handily.

Sometimes people just lose their poo poo when something unfamiliar pops up

el dingo fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 26, 2017

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

LeJackal posted:

worst poster, worst player, worst person

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Sometimes off meta is your only good choice. If you're last pick botlane and everyone else locks in physical damage then it's really dumb to pick a standard adc.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

How Rude posted:

worst poster, worst player, worst person

Quit projecting. :allears:

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
One of my favorite duo partners is an Urgot with Barrier-only player. He's really loving good mechanically and plays really smart. We constantly get dodged and threatened to be reported for trolling in champ select. After we poo poo on not lane and carry the game, people say that they want to try it as well. It's funny how quickly people's attitudes can change.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Teikanmi posted:

One of my favorite duo partners is an Urgot with Barrier-only player. He's really loving good mechanically and plays really smart. We constantly get dodged and threatened to be reported for trolling in champ select. After we poo poo on not lane and carry the game, people say that they want to try it as well. It's funny how quickly people's attitudes can change.
This isn't even that off meta. Barrier was standard for ADC two years ago, and Urgot is closer to ADC than any other role. He's even seen pro play there.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ShadowHawk posted:

Sometimes off meta is your only good choice. If you're last pick botlane and everyone else locks in physical damage then it's really dumb to pick a standard adc.

Luckily there Ziggs is on-meta for that slot. It works disturbingly well.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

JerryLee posted:

If they could break away from the idea of the support needing to be the adc's nanny and/or playmaker, to where it's more of an egalitarian relationship between two heroes who happen to be in a duo lane together, that would be a big step. I'd argue that this is the sort of thing that should have been done all along (and perhaps tellingly, it was the way me and my friends played LoL in the ignorant days near launch, as well as HoN and DotA many years before that).

Unfortunately, doing it at this stage probably requires a rethinking of all the current support heroes and possibly the queue system, because if you have a lane where one side is two heroes doing their own things and the other side is a powerful support/initiation toolkit working in concert with the adc, the side that still has a dedicated support toolkit/player probably wins. That's fine in comp play or if people are queuing as a 5-stack but it's pretty terrible in yolo queue.

my dude, support is the significantly stronger role of the two in bot lane and is the huge deciding factor in who wins the lane the majority of the time. the fact of the matter is this is 100% player perception, which is also why you have apes screeching that ADC is still as powerful as it was in season 3 and that support is a trash role you cannot carry from.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

my dude, support is the significantly stronger role of the two in bot lane and is the huge deciding factor in who wins the lane the majority of the time. the fact of the matter is this is 100% player perception, which is also why you have apes screeching that ADC is still as powerful as it was in season 3 and that support is a trash role you cannot carry from.

this is a fine view in theorycrafting but what you'll find in game is that even if you play max q morgana if your team refuses to do anything after you hit a q you'll lose and they'll still whine about your vision when they facecheck bushes in obvious enemy territory and get 100-0'd while you ping warning on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if your team is going to play that badly the role you're playing is almost definitely meaningless

• Locked thread