Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MariusLecter posted:

Bee Movie was okay in so far as the last act focused on how bees are really important to the environment and human survival.

Really should have been the focus from square one but then we wouldn't have had a bee and a human woman having an affair.

Also bringing back Marky Mark from the happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

on hold with sex line posted:

The hacky Trump impressions/jokes are really grating. I haven't really listened much after the election.

I thought it might just be me but I've also kinda dropped off since they started bringing up politics a lot more.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'm so happy HDTGM is doing XXX3. I loved it so much. Vin Diesels introduction is him jumping off of an electrical tower with skis on, falling hundreds of feet with no problem, and then skiing down a goddamn jungle is one of the dumbest things i've ever seen on film.

Also, Toni Collette gave an all time terrible performance. It was unfathomable. I feel like she took 10 xanax every day before filming and also forgot how humans talk and use words.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

I thought it might just be me but I've also kinda dropped off since they started bringing up politics a lot more.

They don't really bring up "politics" per se as much as they just do parodies of Trump and Alex Jones now. It's not like they're typically arguing for or against particular political points. They also did plenty of parodies of Obama, Clinton, Giuliani and the Bushes over the years. I get the impression that on SA many people are totally exhausted with even hearing the word "Trump" but if that's the case then it's going to be a rough 8 years.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

They don't really bring up "politics" per se as much as they just do parodies of Trump and Alex Jones now. It's not like they're typically arguing for or against particular political points. They also did plenty of parodies of Obama, Clinton, Giuliani and the Bushes over the years. I get the impression that on SA many people are totally exhausted with even hearing the word "Trump" but if that's the case then it's going to be a rough 8 years.

Good thing we won't survive 8 years

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
It seems like they got a lot of hate mail or review spam from some deplorables, so I can totally get why they'd feel emboldened to go further with it than normal, plus it's probably cathartic. They're funny dudes and they'll improv some new silly character or voice sooner than later.

As for the ads, they put the music in as a nice heads-up, they're usually goofy enough to be worth listening to, and they tend to hit the perfect length for a skip forward or two. If it provides them with the funds for new equipment for quality recordings (and replacing that chair that collapsed last year lol) and to spend a lot of extra time putting together the listener request line and reviewing voice-mails and streaming the draw and all that, then giddy up.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm personally kinda getting tired of Andrew's wanting to be the loudest guy in the room but otherwise the guys seem to be in rare form lately

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
The only thing that burns me out on WHM is that they honestly do get pretty mad and disgusted a lot. Which is understandable given the source material, but also makes me wish they'd do more On Screens where they talk about current films or any film they kinda like, because the same informal riffing that can make bad film commentary bearable can also be incredibly fun for... actually fun movies.

One of the reasons I keep going back to Flophouse (let me anticipate and cut off forum whining about who does and does not find voices annoying, great, thanks, done.) is that as stupid as their movies may be, they're always having a good time with it. The mood is always light-hearted, even when they're rejecting some pretty objectionable content. Much like We Hate Movies, I also wish the Flophouse gang would review good or at least interesting movies as well, because they're all clearly versed in film history, and the same casual attitude applied to otherwise dryly dissected classics would be a welcome shot in the arm.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

We Love Movies is totally a thing they get into fairly regularly, it's just we rolled right off of Worst of 2016 into Bee Movie so it feels like forever.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Rodyle posted:

We Love Movies is totally a thing they get into fairly regularly, it's just we rolled right off of Worst of 2016 into Bee Movie so it feels like forever.

Yeah, they did Demolition Man just before Christmas.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going to get Osmosis Jones ONE LRM, mark my words.

Very excited for another Pokemon episode, the first one was great and should make up for them just dumping on DBZ.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I feel like 90% of Paul Sheer's jokes on How Did This Get Made are basically, "Isn't my wife stupid?" followed by said wife going "Huh huh huh huh guys huh." I get upset with how mean they are to her...but gently caress she is stupid.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

credburn posted:

I feel like 90% of Paul Sheer's jokes on How Did This Get Made are basically, "Isn't my wife stupid?" followed by said wife going "Huh huh huh huh guys huh." I get upset with how mean they are to her...but gently caress she is stupid.

I like her as an actor but I'm generally sad to hear her get announced. They've been going a long time and her schtick is fairly predictable. I mean it's "1. Doesn't really remember the movie. 2. Everyone in the movie looked really good. 3. Jason tries for a long time to get her to say something weird. 4. She wants to jump to the ending.""

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

They're more of personas than their actual comments on the film anyway, which is fine and what I like about the podcast.

Did June even say anything weird on the latest episode about xXx though? I don't remember anything standing out.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
As I understand, Paul was a pretty popular improv actor? Or maybe still is? I only know him from HDTGM and some of his stand up and appearances on Comedy Bang Bang and I really enjoy his rehearsed poo poo, but his improv is so painfully awkward and his off the cuff jokes usually don't entirely make sense and when they do it's only the lowest brow of humor that make it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I feel like the constant LIVE! episodes just killed that show because they just play up the same "roles" for the audiences to diminished returns and then you have to listen to painfully awkward nerds ask questions and get nothing but contempt in return. The studio episodes where they just go into the films and really explore the weirdness and try to make each other laugh are still great, but they hardly ever do those anymore.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

piratepilates posted:

Did June even say anything weird on the latest episode about xXx though? I don't remember anything standing out.

I don't remember her saying anything weird, but I loved her very subtle argument about why they should cast a 30-something brunette love interest for Vin Diesel, and her later dismay at his ridiculous 'interview' with that Brazilian woman.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't remember her saying anything weird, but I loved her very subtle argument about why they should cast a 30-something brunette love interest for Vin Diesel, and her later dismay at his ridiculous 'interview' with that Brazilian woman.

I've been thinking of that interview ever since that episode came out. It's just so loving bizarre. Vin Diesel is such a weirdo.

He's a married man with kids, that lady is not attractive enough to somehow turn him in to such a bumbling fool saying "when did this become beautiful world?".

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I assumed it was a combination of him being a weirdo and also probably at the tail end of one of those super long press junkets where they just do interview after interview.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How'd i never notice there was a podcast sub forum?

Anyways, HDTGM was the first bad movie podcast I listened too and eventually dropped it because they did a stretch where it was just live shows, they sounded like poo poo but the hosts were all "hey live show, gonna sound like poo poo, so deal with it" which just pissed me off. Not to mention their jokes really started to fall flat after a while, I can only hear "literally bonkers!" used so much. That being said, stuff like the Punisher War Zone or Road House are fantastic.

I never listened to WHM, but I did listen to their spin off skeptical podcast, Blame It On Outerspace. It was, okay, I didn't really like most of their humor style, they spent more time on dumb jokes than actually examining the topic on hand, their Wilfred Brimley impersonation boiled down to saying "god dammit" a lot. I guess that's indicative of WHM as well? basically made me never want to check it out.

So the Flophouse, well, that's by far my favorite Podcast by far, with really only Jay and Miles X-plain the X-men even coming close. It's just my humor style in so many ways, from Dan's self deprecation and eternal depression, to Elliott's knowlage of esoteric and pointless facts, and Stuarts laid back but also super nerdy stuff, it's just what I love. That and pervazoidness.

I was going to make a solo thread just for the Flophouse because it's more than the podcast, the FB group is filled with lots of like minded individuals with a solid core group, I've even been out to meetups to meet other floppers locally, including the guy who makes all those animations for them. Plus with Kalan being head writer of the new MST3K I could see Flophouse getting a lot more attention.

Example of the animations if people were unaware of their existence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0XeT3ttVEI

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Blame It On Outer Space is much, much weaker than WHM

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Yeah, yikes at judging WHM based on BIOOS.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I've become a lot less interested in hearing plot recaps and love tangents so I'm become a lot more interested in the Flophouse.

All three podcasts tend to exaggerate the craziness of the plot a lot of the time, or maybe I'm just numb to bad movies.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Making the decision to stop listening once they hit letters made The Flophouse a lot more enjoyable. I realized all the long emails from people who are trying to be hilarious was what was making the show seem like a chore. The should do a monthly mailbag episode like WHM instead of devoting like 20 minutes an episode to it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I've noticed less of those styled letters on The Flophouse lately. There seems to be more earnest movie questions and less "I dreamed about you guys " letters.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

A friend was listening to Adventure Zone the other day and Stuart from Flophouse was on it, and it made me a little sad that I don't hear him any more, because he's great.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
When I wrote in to the Flophouse I very deliberately avoided being jokey and just asked a question (what bad movies would you preserve?).

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

powerful sex moves posted:

Making the decision to stop listening once they hit letters made The Flophouse a lot more enjoyable.

This is the magic secret to enjoying any podcast more. I always stay long enough for the song though, call me a masochist I guess.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yeah, yikes at judging WHM based on BIOOS.

I was literally told that I should by multiple people; "if you like skeptical podcasts, check out BIOOS, and they have a good movie podcast called We Hate Movies if you like it". Yea nope. That being sad if they do these characters and impersonations that I found incredibly unfunny on WHM I can see it really not for me. I find podcasts where the hosts are less themselves are more characters I don't really enjoy.

Robert Denby posted:

When I wrote in to the Flophouse I very deliberately avoided being jokey and just asked a question (what bad movies would you preserve?).

Mine was about hanging a lantern on the dumbass plot in Cowboys & Aliens.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

I was literally told that I should by multiple people; "if you like skeptical podcasts, check out BIOOS, and they have a good movie podcast called We Hate Movies if you like it". Yea nope. That being sad if they do these characters and impersonations that I found incredibly unfunny on WHM I can see it really not for me. I find podcasts where the hosts are less themselves are more characters I don't really enjoy.

Mine was about hanging a lantern on the dumbass plot in Cowboys & Aliens.

BIOOS isn't really a spinoff of WHM though, it's one of the four dudes from WHM and another guy unrelated to WHM.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea even if you liked BIOOS I'd not call it a good indication for WHM, the shows aren't at all about the same topic and it's only one of the WHM dudes.

WHM has a way more loose style, and the guys have great chemistry for jokes and all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5GgCNy1RA0

Though if you weren't a fan of the Wilford Brimley impression you may wanna skip a couple episodes of WHM too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IYnfcijp_8

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I tried BIOOS after getting into WHM and couldn't do it for basically the same reason. They're def v different beasts.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I don't even think they mentioned it on WHM, but Eric and his co-host from BIOOS have a new podcast, called Hooked on TJ Hooker, where they're going through TJ Hooker episode by episode.

I thought it could be a premise more fitted to Eric's strengths seeing as how he has quite a bit of experience explaining plots in a funny way and riffing on them (Ben's also been good when he's been on WHM), so I figured I'd give it a chance. I didn't have high hopes but...yeah. To be fair, it's only the first episode, so they might need a few episodes to find their groove - most podcasts are pretty rough in the very beginning. I'll give it a couple more episodes in the interest of fairness.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Get to episode 2+ and it really leaps forward.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I really want to enjoy the Bad Movie Fiends. They have like 360 episodes and almost all of them are really bizarre made for television movies or just movies I haven't heard of. The problem is that despite their organization, movie choices, design and presentation, they have the kind of chemistry and flow I'd expect out of socially retarded D&D nerds being exposed to light for the first time. The show is run by Autistic Kid, Unfunny Tom Servo and Quiet Guy. And Unfunny Tom Servo gets loving defensive as poo poo ALL THE TIME. He'll say something, like, say, "...this movie is where Nicolas Cage grabs the girl's butt and his eyes get huge" and they correct him and say, "Actually, you're thinking of Face/Off." He responds: "Well, he does it here, too." No he doesn't, you overly sensitive dweeb. Just accept you were wrong and move on. You can't have a freeflowing podcast when one guy thinks the other two are trying to one-up him or something. And they also call it the BAMFCAST. Since BMF (Bad Movie Fiends) is reduced to "BMF" which kinda looks like "BaMF" they use that, but I know BAMF as Bad rear end Mother Fucker from Pulp Fiction, which is a designation they have hardly earned.

I listened to twenty episodes hoping they'd just find their stride but then I listened to something like their 300th episode and it's just as awkward.

I pretty much just listen to the Flophouse and We Hate Movies. I wish there were more with such great chemistry. I sometimes like Now Playing but those hosts are often a bit...again, defensive, and bigoted at times. Are there any other movie podcasts (good or bad) where the hosts have good chemistry?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Rewatchability.

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015
BIOOS is over, conspiracies have become too normalized. Not sure the satire works now, or ever did judging by the constant trashing it has gotten on SA.

Hooked on TJ Hooker is just us shooting the shat. It won't be as heightened improv-y as WHM.

Please tell me your problems with the show, why do you dislike it so much?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I think all the shows are good. Thanks!

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

END ME SCOOB posted:

Get to episode 2+ and it really leaps forward.

Good to know! I'll keep going.

BlameSpacePod posted:

BIOOS is over, conspiracies have become too normalized. Not sure the satire works now, or ever did judging by the constant trashing it has gotten on SA.

Hooked on TJ Hooker is just us shooting the shat. It won't be as heightened improv-y as WHM.

Please tell me your problems with the show, why do you dislike it so much?

Ah poo poo. I was hoping you had decided it probably wasn't a good idea for you to read this thread and had decided to leave. It seems to hurt your feelings - and who could blame you? I feel legitimately bad saying anything negative about either of your shows because I like you a lot on WHM and I think you're a likeable guy but you have to understand that that's kind of how people talk on SA. We're assholes. If you read posts about other podcasts in this thread, you'll find a lot of negativity in general. But that's a problem with the internet at large - everything is the best thing ever or the worst thing ever. Nothing is just okay or pretty good. It wouldn't kill most of us to be more charitable with our opinions.

Listen, I thought BIOOS had its moments and I listened to quite a bit of it. I didn't "dislike it so much," I just didn't love it and with only so much time in the day to listen to things, I only want to spend my time listening to podcasts I really love - WHM, for instance. It's hard to pinpoint what the issue is but there's a vague feeling of...awkwardness I got sometimes with BIOOS and with the first episode of the new show - like you're struggling to fill the silence. Maybe you need more than one co-host? I don't know.

Either way, you're funnier than me and probably most people in this thread, so I wouldn't let what we have to say effect you a whole lot. I also wouldn't take it as a sign that someone hates you and your shows because they like WHM more - it's a pretty great show and that's going to be hard to beat or replicate.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlameSpacePod
Feb 24, 2015

Good to know! I'll keep going.

Ah poo poo. I was hoping you had decided it probably wasn't a good idea for you to read this thread and had decided to leave. It seems to hurt your feelings - and who could blame you? I feel legitimately bad saying anything negative about either of your shows because I like you a lot on WHM and I think you're a likeable guy but you have to understand that that's kind of how people talk on SA. We're assholes. If you read posts about other podcasts in this thread, you'll find a lot of negativity in general. But that's a problem with the internet at large - everything is the best thing ever or the worst thing ever. Nothing is just okay or pretty good. It wouldn't kill most of us to be more charitable with our opinions.

Listen, I thought BIOOS had its moments and I listened to quite a bit of it. I didn't "dislike it so much," I just didn't love it and with only so much time in the day to listen to things, I only want to spend my time listening to podcasts I really love - WHM, for instance. It's hard to pinpoint what the issue is but there's a vague feeling of...awkwardness I got sometimes with BIOOS and with the first episode of the new show - like you're struggling to fill the silence. Maybe you need more than one co-host*? I don't know.

Either way, you're funnier than me and probably most people in this thread, so I wouldn't let what we have to say effect you a whole lot. I also wouldn't take it as a sign that someone hates you and your shows because they like WHM more - it's a pretty great show and that's going to be hard to beat or replicate.

Thanks for the reply. I was just kinda curious how to make the TJ Hooker one better. I do think the first episode wasn't as good as it could be. A lot of nervous cursing and a bit meandering. We're using a lot more show clips in the newer episodes. Nothing tops WHM and having 3+ people, you are right. I am trying to make the best possible product for you, the listener. It's a learning curve with anything.

BIOOS I get not getting into it, honestly, I hated making the show most of the time. WHM and Hooker have been a fun breeze to produce. Sorry if I weirded you out by replying, I'm just a glutton for punishment. It's also a bummer to look for mentions of a show online and find the majority of them to be negative. Makes you wonder. Makes me doubt what I bring to the table even on WHM.