Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I don't miss poo poo, gently caress the Navy x1000000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swolegoat
Nov 4, 2011
I've never met so many weeaboos in my life until I enlisted

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Only thing I miss about the Navy is my interviewing of the people that would get high as poo poo on LSD, meth, or heroin and I'd just sit there talking with them. Also that one time one of the corpsmen that saw a seal in nwus went full blown fan girl and asked the seal if it was true that if he was able to take the pin away from him he'd be one too. Kid nearly poo poo himself with the glare.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
So I was sent down to FL in a civilian capacity for some ship evolutions...and the ship never got my jpass request...and it's a saturday...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Stupid E5 test for IT. Never even seen a radio in person.
Can't wait for results.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
poo poo getting all emotional in this thread.

I'm still in but some things I'm already missing. Namely:
  • Waking up at sea and pulling into a foreign port and that you got your stack of cash, freshest clothes, and just knowing that you're gonna get into some strange and situations that night.
  • Standing a five hour watch and having the relief come a little earlier than anticipated. (Yeah I know).
  • Seeing the stars and the million iterations of sunrise and sunset in the middle of the ocean.
  • Taking the deck out at sea.
  • Seeing an exercise that you planned come to fruition with multiple billion dollar ships and aircraft doing what you imagined them to do. :)

Stuff I don't miss/can't wait to never do again:
  • In port duty day.
  • Taking responsibility for something you didn't do.
  • Seeing a poo poo bag get by despite repeated mistakes and inconsiderate fucks up over and over again.
  • Getting treated like a child.
  • Everyone being pissed off and miserable and the only vent being making GBS threads on each other.
  • Relishing the moment when another department has a big casualty or gently caress up just because the Captain will forget about you for a little bit. It shouldn't be like this :(. SWO thermodynamics.
  • Being told you're going to be a leader and a decision maker but showing up everyday to be micromanaged and having nobody in the chain of command listen. Then getting blamed and being expected to take responsibility for everything. Has given me a tough skin but it sickens me that SWOs take pride in their worst qualities.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Never even seen a radio in person.

Not a real IT. :troll:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Good news, old man, you're testing against other reservists and you're in a rate that rapidly advances regardless.

Howard Phillips posted:

• Seeing the stars and the million iterations of sunrise and sunset in the middle of the ocean.

#1 thing I miss.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

Not a real IT. :troll:

I absolutely agree. Gonna sign up for radio c school next fiscal year. Then maybe a mobilization.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Howard Phillips posted:

• Taking the deck out at sea.

This.

Also, now that this is on Youtube I don't mind posting this/talking about it. I was the OOD in this situation... wooooie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htpjDopOgac

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.

Boon posted:

Also, now that this is on Youtube I don't mind posting this/talking about it. I was the OOD in this situation... wooooie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htpjDopOgac

I can't make it out from the audio. What happened to get that close?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I probably should have posted with more context - the video I have (same one) has much better audio but I'm not uploading it to the internet.

That said, we were in the SAG and our initial course (about 010) had us heading towards Iran with an oil field to our port beam. The CO was with the conning officer and I was managing the bridge. After we cleared the oil field we began to come around 5 degrees at a time until we were heading about 290 - the helm called out steady on course, rudder amidships, I verified it on the instruments up front, and proceeded to call down to aft steering to coordinate a shift of control for training purposes.

As I was on the phone (CG - XO's phone on the port side of the pilot house) I glanced out the window at the P&D line which was sitting at about 260. Puzzled, I looked at our bows which looked like a V, then slammed the phone down and ran out to the bridge wing, caught the CO's eye on the fly bridge, saw that he knew, and then I screamed down to drop the P&D line. We got out to about 340 or so on the bow before we began to straighten and correct.

Now, here's the thing. The oiler? It's never wrong. Is it wrong? No - you're wrong - correct to it. And so we did. We had previously steadied on 290, but the oiler was closer to 275 or so, and so we began to come around. The only problem is that the oiler then started to come back to the original communicated course of 290. Before we knew it I was looking at their hull numbers through our bullnose. I'm a bit dissapointed in myself that I didn't immediately recommend an emergency breakaway, instead pausing to assess. I arrived at hte conclusion, but as I did the XO was already running past me to blow the signals. I'm still ashamed about that.

Anyway, emergency breakaway now in full effect, we managed to level out but we have two lines over including amidships and we're probably at around 100-120 feet. That's where the video starts up. It was shot by the air crew who obviously had no loving clue what was going on until the word started to get passed over the 1MC.

Initially there was a bit of chaos as we kind of looked at each other in a shared "oh gently caress" then snapped out of it and began preparing for collision. Reports from our aft fueling station gave us updates, they were the first line to clear. I got on the 1MC and ordered the weatherdecks cleared on the port side. What I didn't know, was that our team on the midships kingpost ran off without clearing the line. A BMSN grabbed a SN and a BM3 and ran out and cleared it themselves (BMSN got a COM and other two got NAMs - those dudes were loving awesome). Once we got the word that the midships line was cleared the CO (who never took the conn) ordered flank 3 (you can hear the engines whine up in the video). At this point there wasn't much left to do in the pilothouse but wait. As we were sucked closer in I sounded the collision alarm; you can hear it on the video chirp twice - that's because I hit it and released thinking it would sound but as soon as I released it stopped, so I confusedly hit it again but it didn't go without holding so I gave up on it and passed a 'brace for impact'. As we pulled forward we were mostly out of danger (though I didn't realize it from my vantage). I walked out to lean against the rail thinking how my name was on that deck log, how I was totally hosed, and I was just waiting for the collision. The CO issued a slough of orders to the rudder both ways and we veered across the bow.

A brief moment of panic as we crossed the bow elicited a followup 'brace for impact' that was late and also unnecessary but at that point who the gently caress cares. We cleared the oiler, I walked back in, past some word, and called for reports from all stations. The CICWO ran up sometime around here, was hysterical, and my Helm Safety Officer kicked him out the door. Then the CO walked in, asked for station reports, looked me dead in the eyes, drew a breath and said, "Ok OOD, let's get ready to come back around, we still got oil and ice cream to pick up."

That dude was one cool loving cat and the best ship handler I'd ever met.

We found out much later that on the final segment of our turn the oiler suffered a rudder casualty which caused them to continue over to ~275. I still get chills watching the video and I got chills writing that up. At the time I was pretty 'young' OOD still, far from getting my pin, and I was just glad I didn't completely poo poo myself. I should note that not only did that BMSN and BM3/SN get an award, but so did the under instruction master helm - who was given her master helmsman qualification that night.

E: I had to edit the order of events a bit - a lot of the actions, events, and feelings are vivid, but the exact order that they happened were a bit out of order - watching the video again helped bring it back.

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 27, 2017

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Boon posted:

Yeah, I probably should have posted with more context - the video I have (same one) has much better audio but I'm not uploading it to the internet.

That said, we were in the SAG and our initial course (about 010) had us heading towards Iran with an oil field to our port beam. The CO was with the conning officer and I was managing the bridge. After we cleared the oil field we began to come around 5 degrees at a time until we were heading about 290 - the helm called out steady on course, rudder amidships, I verified it on the instruments up front, and proceeded to call down to aft steering to coordinate a shift of control for training purposes.

As I was on the phone (CG - XO's phone on the port side of the pilot house) I glanced out the window at the P&D line which was sitting at about 260. Puzzled, I looked at our bows which looked like a V, then slammed the phone down and ran out to the bridge wing, caught the CO's eye on the fly bridge, saw that he knew, and then I screamed down to drop the P&D line. We got out to about 340 or so on the bow before we began to straighten and correct.

Now, here's the thing. The oiler? It's never wrong. Is it wrong? No - you're wrong - correct to it. And so we did. We had previously steadied on 290, but the oiler was closer to 275 or so, and so we began to come around. The only problem is that the oiler then started to come back to the original communicated course of 290. Before we knew it I was looking at their hull numbers through our bullnose. I'm a bit dissapointed in myself that I didn't immediately recommend an emergency breakaway, instead pausing to assess. I arrived at hte conclusion, but as I did the XO was already running past me to blow the signals. I'm still ashamed about that.

Anyway, emergency breakaway now in full effect, we managed to level out but we have two lines over including amidships and we're probably at around 100-120 feet. That's where the video starts up. It was shot by the air crew who obviously had no loving clue what was going on until the word started to get passed over the 1MC.

Initially there was a bit of chaos as we kind of looked at each other in a shared "oh gently caress" then snapped out of it and began preparing for collision. Reports from our aft fueling station gave us updates, they were the first line to clear. I got on the 1MC and ordered the weatherdecks cleared on the port side. What I didn't know, was that our team on the midships kingpost ran off without clearing the line. A BMSN grabbed a SN and a BM3 and ran out and cleared it themselves (BMSN got a COM and other two got NAMs - those dudes were loving awesome). Once we got the word that the midships line was cleared the CO (who never took the conn) ordered flank 3 (you can hear the engines whine up in the video). At this point there wasn't much left to do in the pilothouse but wait. As we were sucked closer in I sounded the collision alarm; you can hear it on the video chirp twice - that's because I hit it and released thinking it would sound but as soon as I released it stopped, so I confusedly hit it again but it didn't go without holding so I gave up on it and passed a 'brace for impact'. As we pulled forward we were mostly out of danger (though I didn't realize it from my vantage). I walked out to lean against the rail thinking how my name was on that deck log, how I was totally hosed, and I was just waiting for the collision. The CO issued a slough of orders to the rudder both ways and we veered across the bow.

A brief moment of panic as we crossed the bow elicited a followup 'brace for impact' that was late and also unnecessary but at that point who the gently caress cares. We cleared the oiler, I walked back in, past some word, and called for reports from all stations. The CICWO ran up sometime around here, was hysterical, and my Helm Safety Officer kicked him out the door. Then the CO walked in, asked for station reports, looked me dead in the eyes, drew a breath and said, "Ok OOD, let's get ready to come back around, we still got oil and ice cream to pick up."

That dude was one cool loving cat and the best ship handler I'd ever met.

We found out much later that on the final segment of our turn the oiler suffered a rudder casualty which caused them to continue over to ~275. I still get chills watching the video and I got chills writing that up. At the time I was pretty 'young' OOD still, far from getting my pin, and I was just glad I didn't completely poo poo myself. I should note that not only did that BMSN and BM3/SN get an award, but so did the under instruction master helm - who was given her master helmsman qualification that night.

E: I had to edit the order of events a bit - a lot of the actions, events, and feelings are vivid, but the exact order that they happened were a bit out of order - watching the video again helped bring it back.

:yarr:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
navy seems gay as gently caress and the worst to actually serve in having to live with your senior enlisted and delusional officers so I'm just drunk posting right now that you got my respect.

when I was recruiting for the army and my major competition was the navy I said "IMAGINE IF YOUR MCDONALDS MANAGER LIVED WITH YOU AND YOU WERE SURROUNDED BY THE OCEAN" and actually that didn't work that much but still my heart was true

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i should have said " your mcdonalds manager without the pot hookup part" now that i think about it

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Asking for someone. What are all the ideal IT-esque type of jobs for someone that wants to do four and get out, maybe use GI Bill, and have a possible career prospects as a civilian right out of the Navy

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Asking for someone. What are all the ideal IT-esque type of jobs for someone that wants to do four and get out, maybe use GI Bill, and have a possible career prospects as a civilian right out of the Navy

IT, CT-whatever except maybe the language variant. Those and IS can also come with higher level clearances which is also valuable outside.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I never got all the CT jobs. I know there's three? Two are of IT variants and one is linguistics?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah I never got all the CT jobs. I know there's three? Two are of IT variants and one is linguistics?

CTN: l337 haxors
CTI: Interpreters
CTT: Used to be EW's. They're responsible for shipboard electronic warfare gear.
CTM: Basically ET's with TS/SCI. They repair gear and sometimes operate SSES stuff.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 27, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ok so everything but CTI, got it, thanks.

Said person speaks Spanish but lol that's probably more commonplace than Tagalog

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Forgot CTR. Communications signals

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Laranzu posted:

Forgot CTR. Communications signals

gently caress, I knew I was forgetting one.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Hey there used to be CTOs and CTAs too

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

LingcodKilla posted:

Stupid E5 test for IT. Never even seen a radio in person.
Can't wait for results.

A lot of the IT people that see radios every day don't know what they are either. Don't sweat it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Day one of TAP, finance guy is a retired GSM. Welp that's my story.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

vulturesrow posted:

Hey there used to be CTOs and CTAs too

CTA is now just a YN with SCI

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

vulturesrow posted:

Day one of TAP, finance guy is a retired GSM. Welp that's my story.

Expectations managed.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

I would avoid CTT and CTR like the plague. CTT is literally watching a 30 year old TV while at sea for hours at a time.

CTN is the best for the short enlistment. You get high level clearance TSC/SCI and mostly work on shore for high level mission infastructure. Possibly work with civilian counterparts, so get direct experience.

Can be hired directly into IT role in high clearance required government or contracting job or get degree and do same with more pay.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

I would avoid CTT and CTR like the plague. CTT is literally watching a 30 year old TV while at sea for hours at a time.

CTN is the best for the short enlistment. You get high level clearance TSC/SCI and mostly work on shore for high level mission infastructure. Possibly work with civilian counterparts, so get direct experience.

Can be hired directly into IT role in high clearance required government or contracting job or get degree and do same with more pay.

CTT, if you get shore or direct support first, doesn't use the 40 year old refrigerator with a monitor stuck in it. The job is much nicer.

Still doesn't translate out to civilian work unless you go govvie or contractor though

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

poopkitty posted:

Expectations managed.

So it turns out Mr Retired GSM was the highlight of the day. :psyduck:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

So it turns out Mr Retired GSM was the highlight of the day. :psyduck:

There's still time to jerk off in the head.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

DownByTheWooter posted:

CTA is now just a YN with SCI

It never wasn't.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Except at least CTAs were able to somewhat keep up their proficiency with managing security admin. In most cases I've seen YNs with that NEC are pretty terrible at it due to lack of experience.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Boon posted:

Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

I realized recently that we're only ever taught about situations that go bad, never the close ones where somebody saves it and it's really heartening to see your example.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

TAP Day 2. DoL contract instructor is a retired NCC. :suicide:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

How long until e4-E7 advancement exams are released?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

How long until e4-E7 advancement exams are released?

Results? April i think.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

vulturesrow posted:

You're retiring, you can just attend days 1 and 5!

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

vulturesrow posted:

Ours was a 23 year old milspouse with a Master's in business. The DOL teaching job was her first out of college. Yay.

Whatever, I just got out and went to college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

DustyNuts posted:

You're retiring, you can just attend days 1 and 5!

Not being snarky, where does it say this?