Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

That Ghost Recon game seems hilariously bad.

it's an extremely poorly made derivative of MGS5 gone multiplayer if, instead of Kojima, they just hired like 10 boring white guys to develop and write the game and program it. It is shockingly void of anything interesting besides like 20 minute bursts of failing to operate choppers stupidly with friends.

exquisite tea posted:

It's never too hard to imagine a more interesting application for the Nemesis system than the LOTR setting because just about anything is more interesting than Middle-Earth.

I agree but at least the Nemesis system makes sense in a fantasy setting. I did NOT think the sequel would be ready at all in 2017 but I do hope they tweaked the difficulty in the new one. My only problem with Shadow of Mordor was that they give you all these ridiculous abilities that you're an untouchable god by halfway through the game. In my 2nd playthrough I had to deliberately not upgrade poo poo just to feel like it was somewhat challenging. The only times I would get killed otherwise were in the first few hours. Also excited for it being current gen only this time because the first game looked phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

poptart_fairy posted:

Depends what you mean, really. The AI buddies in singleplayer are invisible to the enemy unless you engage in open combat and are pretty much a glorified multi-kill mechanic. Game just gets a whole lot funnier with four people because you're no longer a well oiled machine - just a bunch of gently caress-ups no doubt off their arse on beer and/or some sort of stimulant. :v:

If you want to micro-manage an entire team then yeah, I can see why this wouldn't appeal.

Not so much the micromanage team part as much as it seems unfit of "The Tom Clancy BRAAAAND(brand... brand... brand)" to basically be a game about stumbling from one teammate made gently caress up to another. Would be cool under a less serious premise.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

It's never too hard to imagine a more interesting application for the Nemesis system than the LOTR setting because just about anything is more interesting than Middle-Earth.

Reminder that it originally started out life as a system for a Nolan movies Batman game. Where guys constantly coming back makes more sense seeing as Batman doesn't kill people.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

TheDarkFlame posted:

As you guys have mentioned Dying Light, I'm having a lot of fun with it and it's a good co-op game, but how does the damage work? Combat does feel weighty and brutal, but it takes a week to actually kill anything, which is particularly frustrating when you get put up against living human people. Is it just that early weapons are weak, or that I really need to rely on headshots, or is there some skill I need that makes everything easier to handle?

I got this around Christmas, add me (PSN id: TheBlindNinja) if you wanna play some co-op.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Killing zombies in Dying Light definitely gets faster once you start getting more bladed weapons.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ularg posted:

Not so much the micromanage team part as much as it seems unfit of "The Tom Clancy BRAAAAND(brand... brand... brand)" to basically be a game about stumbling from one teammate made gently caress up to another. Would be cool under a less serious premise.

I dunno man, it's a near future, squad based tacticool realism third person shooter. That's Tom Clancy as gently caress for computer games.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sony's VR headset surpassing their own expectations

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/26/business/sony-playstation-vr-sales.html?_r=0

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

gently caress yeah. Maybe I won't ruin the climax in this one by making 100% of the enemies under my control.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I'm really surprised nobody has taken it and run with it yet.

Like what the gently caress developers. Idea is golden. But if I have to buy the sequel for more I drat sure will.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dying Light: Early game the bow is the best way to quickly and silently dispatch small packs of zombies. Also the more skills you unlock the easier it will be. Get the ability to stomp kill plus any ability that knocks down, and you can do that over and over. The most broken one is to get stealth kill, then get the ability to camouflage in zombie goop, then the ability to stealth kill from camo

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dying light is definitely one of those games that starts out super hard but by half way through you can just sleep though it. Which was really the only thing I didn't like about it. The zombies go from obnoxious damage sponges to trivially easy in no time flat.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Sort of makes sense as to why there is only a slow trickle of games coming out for it at the moment then.

I expect E3 will see Sony lean heavily on PSVR.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I suspect and hope they didn't want to throw too much muscle into games and now that it's proven a success they will start ramping up big VR releases. Hoping late 2017 and 2018 prove to be great for VR.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

The lovely fiddly controls and terrible camera in Gravity Rush 2 are making me mad at video games.

I legit don't remember the first one being this frustratingly awkward.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I am glad that I cancelled my Gravity Rush 2 pre-order after the demo. I really like Kat, and the world she inhabits, but the game didn't feel nearly improved enough from the original. The combat certainly wasn't fixed! Plus I ran into three bugs during the demo, the last of which froze the game.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Wendell posted:

I am glad that I cancelled my Gravity Rush 2 pre-order after the demo. I really like Kat, and the world she inhabits, but the game didn't feel nearly improved enough from the original. The combat certainly wasn't fixed! Plus I ran into three bugs during the demo, the last of which froze the game.

Yeah, I liked the beginning... And then there was no improvement. I didn't play after that as of yet

I got it for 30 euro tho, so that's fine

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I hope the next Shadow of Mordor actually gives you something to do with the whole control/hierarchy mechanic! It was really bizzare that the most interesting and complex part of the last one was introduced right near the end and you have gently caress-all to do with it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Awful cover art.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is the nemesis system patented like minigames during loading screens were

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Controversial opinion: I paid full price for Gravity Rush 2 (inflated Danish full price, even) and I'm completely satisfied with my purchase

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Finished Nioh, it is great, people on the fence should get off and play it.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Awful cover art.

The first game had blah cover art so they're just sticking with the theme.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Instant Grat posted:

Controversial opinion: I paid full price for Gravity Rush 2 (inflated Danish full price, even) and I'm completely satisfied with my purchase

3/5

bloodychill posted:

Finished Nioh, it is great, people on the fence should get off and play it.

4/5 so far (third region)

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Leaping and frolicking around in lunar style is good fun

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Digirat posted:

Is the nemesis system patented like minigames during loading screens were

I want to know this too becUse when it came out every games podcast was talking about al the cool ideas you could do with it. Like it was taken for granted that this is how you make games from now on.

I can't believe that no other games got past the pitch phase.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm really surprised nobody has taken it and run with it yet.

Like what the gently caress developers. Idea is golden. But if I have to buy the sequel for more I drat sure will.

I would easily buy day one a wrestling game that had this feature but I wouldn't bet on 2K or WWE to get it right in 2017. It would have to be someone else.

Relaunch EA BIG and make another Def Jam fighting game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bombadilillo posted:

I want to know this too becUse when it came out every games podcast was talking about al the cool ideas you could do with it. Like it was taken for granted that this is how you make games from now on.

I can't believe that no other games got past the pitch phase.

I'm playing through Doom now and a conversation about Superman villain Doomsday came up and we got to talking that you could do a Doomsday/nemesis thing where certain demons could be reoccurring villains who come back immune to whatever weapons you used to kill them previously.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

bethesda games need the nemesis system, and to become good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can see why some people liked gravity rush 2 and some didn't. I'm definitely in the regret camp but the art style uniqueness was probably enough for some.

There are certain aspects of it that I loved but the missions just felt super boring and the gameplay was really unrefined.

I really think the first one benefited from being portable as it's the most fun in short bursts.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Is Watch Dogs 2 worth checking out? I was looking forward to the first game when it was first showed off, but the general reaction to it on release was pretty negative. The second one seems like it got a much better reception. I thought about buying both WD2 and For Honor for PS4 instead of for PC, since that way I don't have to deal with UPlay.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Max Wilco posted:

Is Watch Dogs 2 worth checking out? I was looking forward to the first game when it was first showed off, but the general reaction to it on release was pretty negative. The second one seems like it got a much better reception. I thought about buying both WD2 and For Honor for PS4 instead of for PC, since that way I don't have to deal with UPlay.

I enjoyed WD 2 well enough. It has its fair share of bullshit, but a lot of the drone hacking stuff is legit a lot of fun and I liked some of the characters a lot more than I thought I would.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Max Wilco posted:

It's still a modern open-world game but it's a lot more fun than the first one. It stopped trying to be GTA with a magic wand and instead became its own thing with a bunch of neat tools and a cast of snarky millennials instead of gritty street characters.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Watch Dogs 2 is so much better than the first that it's almost ridiculous. Amazing to see how much further you can get with funny memes and millennials than Uncle Batman's daughter niece revenge murder fantasy.

Schremp Howard posted:

I would easily buy day one a wrestling game that had this feature but I wouldn't bet on 2K or WWE to get it right in 2017. It would have to be someone else.

Relaunch EA BIG and make another Def Jam fighting game.

Fire Pro Wrestling is probably coming back so you've got that to look forward to.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I played it on the PS4. It is good.

Story-wise the characters are much better than dour vile Aiden Pearce. The drone/rover gameplay is pretty fun and the city looks nice.

Also,
http://i.imgur.com/U0UISP8.gifv

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I posted this in the Watch_Dogs thread but I think this is a pretty good metric for judging the tone difference between the two.

That said, there is still an issue with them giving you access to heavy duty weapons that don't really fit with the themes of the game. Non-violent is a lot more doable, but that said, sometimes you will want to just pop everyone in your way out of frustration.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also I love that the developers knew exactly what to salvage from the first game, there is one level where you take control of a Spider Tank and go hog wild while Prodigy's "The Day is My Enemy" plays that was on my Top Ten Gaming Moments of 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Max Wilco posted:

Watch Dogs 2 is leagues better. It's like a Assassin's Creed -- Assassin's Creed 2 kinda jump in quality.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I hope Watch_Dogs 3 uses the Nemesis system.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Sold!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That said, there is still an issue with them giving you access to heavy duty weapons that don't really fit with the themes of the game. Non-violent is a lot more doable, but that said, sometimes you will want to just pop everyone in your way out of frustration.
I remember someone saying that the combat was kind of iffy, and that it's more fun to take the non-lethal stealth approach.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Max Wilco posted:

Sold!

I remember someone saying that the combat was kind of iffy, and that it's more fun to take the non-lethal stealth approach.

SBH basically said it best: gun combat completely doesn't fit with the rest of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I played the first Mirror's Edge on PC with a mouse - how are the controls for the PS4 version of the second game? How annoying is the open world gameplay? Anything like the Assassin's Creed feathers?