Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

in other news the Witness is so good. i feel like these puzzles are breaking my brain up and then putting it back together in new and different ways

i found the first piece of one of the environmental puzzles in the quarry by accident and it blew my loving mind, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

This thread made me try the talos principle and man it sure is something special. So far through all of A, B and half of C and I love the story and puzzle mix. These stars at breaking my brain though.

The Witness is top tier, I droped off playing around release because of work with only the greenhouse and town left, (+ whatever is after). Torn between trying to pick it up from there or restarting and powering through, it's been almost a full year but some puzzles are still burned into my brain

Toast King fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 21, 2017

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

extremely steampunk posted:

in other news the Witness is so good. i feel like these puzzles are breaking my brain up and then putting it back together in new and different ways

i found the first piece of one of the environmental puzzles in the quarry by accident and it blew my loving mind, lol

i love it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
right before i woke up today, i dreamed of an environmental puzzle i missed, i forgot it before i could get to the game after i woke, but im pretty sure it was real

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
Finding an environmental puzzle for the first time made me say ohhh what the gently caress thats sick out loud.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

im really afraid that i will have to use a guide to finish up all the environmental puzzles. i can see some of them but i just cant figure them out. sometimes when i see patterns i wonder if its part of a puzzle or if it's just this game loving with me, im going crazy

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

im really afraid that i will have to use a guide to finish up all the environmental puzzles. i can see some of them but i just cant figure them out. sometimes when i see patterns i wonder if its part of a puzzle or if it's just this game loving with me, im going crazy

There are a LOT of them. Wait til you start seeing them everywhere irl lol

edit: if you want to keep track of what you've done and where you've done it there's a progress tracker in the game and like everything else it's both a secret & right under your nose. there's a pond near the town and it's also a map of the island, lights will appear on it and flowers will sprout up as you accomplish stuff

goferchan fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 22, 2017

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I might need a hint for The Witness hedge maze puzzle 3

ZX Speculum
Aug 18, 2006

Soiled Meat

Aston posted:

I might need a hint for The Witness hedge maze puzzle 3

Listen

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Finished Talos 100%

I ended up taking milton and imo that made for a better ending, even if the cinematic literally didn't change except for that little ascii at the end. Also, good god this game is jam packed with easter eggs. Found the developer island, found the cat, saw a cool qr code grafitti by falling on a specific place on the tower, and I imagine I must have missed dozens.

Anyway, this game is really really good.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

blow is a madman

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

doughvakiin posted:

Finding an environmental puzzle for the first time made me say ohhh what the gently caress thats sick out loud.

what was your first? mine was looking up under the elevator after the pyramid zone

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i completed the challenge in the witness i knew i had to before i forgot how to play

considering going for 100%

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Plank Walker posted:

what was your first? mine was looking up under the elevator after the pyramid zone

mine was the quarry where the light coming in the windows forms a puzzle on the floor

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Plank Walker posted:

the big one u can see from a tower in the town

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Looking Through the greenhouse window into the garden.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Looking Through the greenhouse window into the garden.

thats a good one

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I beat the Witness today, I cheated on a couple of the puzzles near the end that had the crazy prismatic color cycling because it was literally making my eyes hurt trying to look at them

The last few sets of puzzles were really cool. near the middle of the end zone I was really thinking there were too many puzzles but it wasnt that bad. They were challenging and they used the old mechanics in cool ways. Anyway The Witness was good, I recommend it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I cheated on a couple of the puzzles near the end that had the crazy prismatic color cycling because it was literally making my eyes hurt trying to look at them

the greenhouse elevator gave me a migraine

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

symbolic posted:

the greenhouse elevator gave me a migraine

That part about drove me full prodromal. Good game

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
it was really easy for me... basically trivial. guess you guys just aren't very good at games, huh?

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

PleasingFungus posted:

it was really easy for me... basically trivial. guess you guys just aren't very good at games, huh?

You're making that up bitch. You looked up a guide and cried to your mommy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I did the greenhouse nearly first thing and kinda stumbled through it without understanding it. Like I assumed that the elevator was using some sort of pattern and just guessed the right things to go up. Looking back I was pretty lucky.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I did the greenhouse nearly first thing and kinda stumbled through it without understanding it. Like I assumed that the elevator was using some sort of pattern and just guessed the right things to go up. Looking back I was pretty lucky.

This is similar to my experience. That was top 3 hardest zones for me

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i got stuck on the second puzzle in the greenhouse for ages and left it nearly until last, but after i beat that, everything clicked and it was clear sailing for the rest of the area. sometimes that's just the way the apple crumbles!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I had way more trouble with the town and the area outside and across the river from the mill.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

PleasingFungus posted:

i got stuck on the second puzzle in the greenhouse for ages and left it nearly until last, but after i beat that, everything clicked and it was clear sailing for the rest of the area. sometimes that's just the way the apple crumbles!

i played a lot of the game with a friend and we combined our brains to solve puzzles and stuff which was completely epic. and when we figured out what was going on in there and finally solved the puzzle we were stuck on, which one i dont remember, we wooted heavily and got told to keep it down in there.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

doughvakiin posted:

i played a lot of the game with a friend and we combined our brains to solve puzzles and stuff which was completely epic. and when we figured out what was going on in there and finally solved the puzzle we were stuck on, which one i dont remember, we wooted heavily and got told to keep it down in there.

you guys should check out zoombinis next

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

ArfJason posted:

Finished Talos 100%

I ended up taking milton and imo that made for a better ending, even if the cinematic literally didn't change except for that little ascii at the end. Also, good god this game is jam packed with easter eggs. Found the developer island, found the cat, saw a cool qr code grafitti by falling on a specific place on the tower, and I imagine I must have missed dozens.

Anyway, this game is really really good.

its my favorite game i think

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I need help, imp zone. Just a hint.

I'm supposed to draw a single line to separate all of the colors, right? It's possible, right?

e: Spoiler tagging just in case, it's the Witness.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

you can figure it out, dont ask for help

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

elf help book posted:

you can figure it out, dont ask for help

....you're right! I did figure it out! Man, I feel great for solving it. Thanks! :D

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

:hellyeah:

i thought telling you anything woulda gave it away

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

StrixNebulosa posted:

....you're right! I did figure it out! Man, I feel great for solving it. Thanks! :D

:yeah:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

http://thewitnessirl.tumblr.com/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I am NOT happy about the audio puzzles in the Witness! :mad:

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am NOT happy about the audio puzzles in the Witness! :mad:

i completely skipped the bamboo forest zone because despite 30 minutes wandering around looking for the first panel i absolutely could not find it. only zone i didnt finish, and i probably never will

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

doughvakiin posted:

i completely skipped the bamboo forest zone because despite 30 minutes wandering around looking for the first panel i absolutely could not find it. only zone i didnt finish, and i probably never will

what the

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

i just couldn't find it. maybe i missed something obvious but eventually i gave up and decided to go find other zones and by the time i finished the game i forgot about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I stopped playing the witness after like 2 hours because I didn't like it.

• Locked thread