Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So... are we back to dirty tricks AGAIN?

http://wccftech.com/intel-playing-dirty-undercut-amd-ryzen/

I mean jesus gently caress, Intel.

Is it that time of decade again? Sigh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

this was a few days ago, but this is the important part

http://semiaccurate.com/2017/02/22/amds-ryzen-7-1800x-beats-intels-i7-6900k-half-price/

quote:

Charlie Demerjian
Intel PR sent out a last-minute “call us before you write” email to most of the press, but not SemiAccurate, after hours last night. You could infer that they are suddenly really worried about something.

the wccftech article is fairly sensational but I would not be surprised about intel being petty about AMD merely catching up to their last-full-gen poo poo

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Intel is playing dirty tricks, but it looks like this is just rumors so far. :shrug:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
It's really not that uncommon for a business to reach out so they can get their own two cents in about a competing product. It's not "call us or else."

Deuce fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 27, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I wish I could say that the last time Charlie Demerjian went on about the crazy poo poo Intel was doing to keep AMD down, he lost his bet and had to wear a pink bunny suit to a conference - but it was actually several times ago. And as the article notes, nobody else will fess up to having received such an email, even anonymously:

quote:

It’s not uncustomary for companies to reach out to the press when they’re in the process of reviewing a competing product. Usually to lay out their response or to announce price cuts. We have contacted a few members of the press and asked if they received an email from Intel that falls out side of the above context and all have so far denied receiving such an email.
edit: this was updated since I read it:

quote:

The editors-in-chief of two of America’s top PC hardware and technology publications have confirmed to Wccftech that they have indeed been approached by Intel regarding upcoming Ryzen reviews. Although both said that it was business as usual. Affirming that Intel’s response following AMD’s Ryzen announcement was what they had expected it to be and nothing was particularly unusual about it.

Like uh I guess maybe Intel just decided to try and blackmail a loudmouth AMD fanboy with his own reviewing site because reasons? He's not alone though, /r/amd wants you to file anticompetitive practice complaints with the FTC over poo poo that Intel might do sometime in the future. Since if they actually do some anticompetitive poo poo, I'm sure nothing will help the FTC take it more seriously than a bunch of frivolous complaints from fanboys who are pissed that the Intel sales rep sent an email!

Right now the AMD fanbase is a festering, oozing mass of hype and paranoia. Someone writes about how the Intel rep offered them some discounts, someone else reposts it claiming they were offered an exclusivity deal, the WCCFs of the world pick it up and run with it, and suddenly it's a fact. Just yesterday someone noticed Microcenter pricing for the first time in their lives and that was a sign of Intel quivering at their knees over Ryzen, and two days ago Gibbo of OCUK was a "clickbait site" trying to suppress sales of Ryzen because he recommended against running dual-rank memory until OEMs can get their memory clocks up with some BIOS patches.

You pretty much need to take anything coming from the AMD fansphere with a truckload of salt at the moment.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 27, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The scuttlebutt of low bandwidth RAM is that it's much harder to find low latency 2400 than it is to find average latency 3200
What's low latency in this case?

I got DDR4-3000 CL15 sticks and run them at 2400, lowered the CL proportionally to 12 (same for the other main timings). Works fine. Could probably do 11.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's low latency in this case?

I got DDR4-3000 CL15 sticks and run them at 2400, lowered the CL proportionally to 12 (same for the other main timings). Works fine. Could probably do 11.
CL10 is unicorn status at that clock rate

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

e: beaten

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Ryzen is currently the top user rated processor on pcpartpicker. lol.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Launch is Thursday, so reviews and proper at-release benches... Wednesday?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Kazinsal posted:

Launch is Thursday, so reviews and proper at-release benches... Wednesday?

No one knows yet, either day before or day of release I would guess.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I thought the NDA's lifted on the 28th? edit: WCCF says 28th some others say March 2nd.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Right now the AMD fanbase is a festering, oozing mass of hype and paranoia.
If you go by what you see on Reditt yeah its a shitfest. Here and other places (ie. Ars, Anand, OCUK, etc.) its nowhere near like that.

Really judging anything by what you see on Reditt at this point is probably pointless. Exception would seem to be Trump voters but that is a whole other shitshow I'd prefer not to go into.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

CL10 is unicorn status at that clock rate
Is there any indication you need that or that is what they're doing though? What leaks I've seen so far is maybe they're forcing 1T command rates but that is something else altogether.

edit: WTF how is anything I posted fanboyish much less as rabid as what we're seeing on reditt?!\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 27, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I thought the NDA's lifted on the 28th?

If you go by what you see on Reditt yeah its a shitfest. Here and other places (ie. Ars, Anand, OCUK, etc.) its nowhere near like that.

Really judging anything by what you see on Reditt at this point is probably pointless. Exception would seem to be Trump voters but that is a whole other shitshow I'd prefer not to go into.

Is there any indication you need that or that is what they're doing though? What leaks I've seen so far is maybe they're forcing 1T command rates but that is something else altogether.

/r/the_ryzen

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Don Lapre posted:

/r/the_ryzen

/r/alt_ryzen

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
This is definitely jumping the gun but has AMD mentioned when they're going to announce their new Vega GPUs?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

buglord posted:

This is definitely jumping the gun but has AMD mentioned when they're going to announce their new Vega GPUs?

They already did, 2017Q2 release.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I think the Vega release will coincide with the 1080ti from Nvidia, right? Not sure whether we are going to get Vega 10 or 11 though on Q2 though.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
So is it true that only the 8 core ryzens are coming out?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Macksy posted:

So is it true that only the 8 core ryzens are coming out?

On the 2nd? Yes. Ryzen 5 comes Q2 (before the summer starts) and Ryzen 3 on H2 (probably sometime before the holiday shopping season).

The original plan - according to the rumors we had - was to get the whole stack out now. It seems like AMD in the end preferred to send the most expensive 7 parts to the market first (with a high volume, some people are saying 1 million CPUs for launch) and use the time gained to bin the lower parts properly. This is also why the top stock clocks for 5 and 3 parts have been adjusted upwards, at least in relation to what we knew about them before.

We know that AMD is aggressively binning these chips, and we are certain that the 5 parts are 8c dies with the 2 cores disabled. No idea whether the 3 parts are also 8c dies with half the cores disabled.

If we can somehow unlock cores on the Ryzen chips (something that we have done before with AMD products) it would be hilarious..

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How successful is unlocking cores? I've read about people doing this, but I also hear that most of the time the cores are faulty or something that can cause crashing? Is any of that true?

Either way, would be cool to see~

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
drat shame. I was hoping to make a ryzen system but I cant wait for the cheaper cpus.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

i'm absolutely giddy after thinking about how many song lyrics would pun well with Ryzen

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

buglord posted:

How successful is unlocking cores? I've read about people doing this, but I also hear that most of the time the cores are faulty or something that can cause crashing? Is any of that true?

It'll all depend on just how AMD 'locks' the core. It seemed for the phenoms that they only did in the bios or firmware or whatever either as a 'hidden' perk of their processors over Intel or just because they didn't want to bother with designing a fuse in they could either break after testing or laser off or blow or whatever. If they continue that tradition, then yes possibly you could though tbh it would probably be something they would have to deliberately do. The actual success of doing so will all depend on whether the handicapped chip you got actually failed bin 1 and had a defect in a core or if it was just a chip they decided to handicap for marketing reasons.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

buglord posted:

I remember back in 2009 getting a dual core Athlon II 250 and managing to unlock the two additional cores and the L3 cache with a simple bios update and more vcore. The cores would not work in the stock voltage, as soon as I gave them some juice though..I had a Phenom II deneb chip.

I don't imagine something like that happening now. It would be hilarious to see though.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

VostokProgram posted:

i'm absolutely giddy after thinking about how many song lyrics would pun well with Ryzen

got so many tasty rhymes, it really is surprizen

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

AMD CPU and Platform Discussion: House of the Ryzen pun.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Plat_FROM_ damnit.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Dante80 posted:

AMD CPU and Platform Discussion: House of the Ryzen pun.

There is a house for Lisa Su
They call the Ryzen pun
It's been the ruin of many an OC
But Kyle, I know she's won.

My platfrom is an AM4
Has improved IPC
Just need a new GPU
From old Koduri

Now the only thing a gamer needs
Is a PSU and some RAM
And the only time he's satisfied
Is when he's on the DOOM

Oh Lisa, tell your marketing team
To do what I have done
Low frames and tearing are history
In the house of the Ryzen pun

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Some first results outrunning the embargo.

First a 1700x, on different tests.

http://bbs.pceva.com.cn/thread-137649-1-1.html

[/QUOTE]

Then, the same model on validated CPU-Z benchmarks. No idea about the frequency it is running on, it should be a lot (4.7Ghz-ish?)

http://valid.x86.fr/bench/rjmzdu/1
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/rjmzdu/16

Lastly, 1800x verified results coming in from the passmark database.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-official-benchmarks-passmark/

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 27, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Dante80 posted:

words go here, quotes are hard

Looks like we're seeing the limits of an RX 480 more than anything else, at least for the games.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
After some hilarious time trying to get my scrawls recognized as chinese characters, the game that gains the most on Ryzen (文明) turns out to be Civilization. Not a big surprise but nice to see that some games do have good multithread support.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
i want to believe

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

buglord posted:

We have no idea, because nobody's gotten their hands on the lower end chips with locked off cores yet. And they won't be out for quite some time after the full core versions are out.

eames
May 9, 2009

Elotana posted:

i want to believe

seems realistic considering the 6800k is a 3.4/3.6 Ghz Haswell 6-core. Ryzen should have similar IPC but higher clockspeeds with their XFR thing.

The one I'm really looking forward to is 1700X/1800X vs 7700k both stock and OC.
The CPU-Z benchmarks above show parity between a 1700X and a stock 7700k, if that's possible with custom watercooling then I'll be very tempted in 6-8 months even though I didn't plan to upgrade anytime soon.That probably was at ridiculous voltages and/or LN2 though...

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

eames posted:

seems realistic considering the 6800k is a 3.4/3.6 Ghz Haswell 6-core. Ryzen should have similar IPC but higher clockspeeds with their XFR thing.

The one I'm really looking forward to is 1700X/1800X vs 7700k both stock and OC.
The CPU-Z benchmarks above show parity between a 1700X and a stock 7700k, if that's possible with custom watercooling then I'll be very tempted in 6-8 months even though I didn't plan to upgrade anytime soon.That probably was at ridiculous voltages and/or LN2 though...

https://twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/836214212301053952

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

buglord posted:

Silicon lottery.

The amount of whining from people who bought 2/3 core chips trying to unlock them to 4 and failing even with more voltage was loving amazing.

How dare AMD disable the defective cores and then them not work! Never buying AMD again!!!!

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Well I'd hope because it's a 3.4/3.8Ghz CPU vs a 4.2/4.5Ghz CPU and the Kabylake should be winning in single thread. Nothing has indicated the titanic lead AMD would have to have in single thread for this to happen.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Had to catch up from the weekend post, but back on TDP levels, I do enjoy the :stare: as my PC idles at ~100W total (coming from HWinfo32's reading of my UPS) and then throwing on RipBot264 and seeing it hit up into the ~600W load. The old 3930K @ 4.6Ghz (130W TDP Stock) is a bit of a power hog but I know that and anyone who knows X79 overclocking should know that when you push 6Cores that far together. 8 even with the smaller fab tech will still shoot way above their stock TDP's. The GPU is clocking up modestly as it has a little CUDA support as well, but not enough to put any actual load on the 980Ti it seems.

Under a full benchmark load (Prime95 + Haven Benchmark) it will hit the ~930W mark in certain parts. Main reason I got that 1000W PSU, though.

Onto the Ryzen and Vega talk. Vega is being announced just before the Nvidia 1080Ti stuff on the 28th. So that should be an interesting day for sure. I would LOoooove for Vega to actually be able to compete with at least the 1080, and if it can even get close to tangling with the 1080Ti, that would sure be a double whammy from AMD we really didn't see coming but, here it may be?

Friend of mine really wants to upgrade his system from a SLI 780/2600K setup, but I have to tell him to wait a bit to see what the market does in the next month or two. He wants a 1080Ti and maybe some supporting hardware (and a Gsync Ultrawide to make it worth the new hardware to play stuff like BF1 maxed) but he is going to have to figure out how to budget it all.

At this point in time, I just recommend to him that we do something all new, throw the SSD's he has into a nice new small build as he has never needed the room in his HAF-X outside of SLI, but we will see.

The question also comes, does he maybe end up with a Ryzen, or would a 1/2 price 6900K still be the better buy.. For the PCI-E Lanes on X99, maybe if he insist on SLI for some reason I guess.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/ryanshrout

PC Perspectives Ryan Shrout‏ posted:

Hyperbolizing Intel contacting press about upcoming Ryzen reviews shows a lack of understanding on how this world works.
In my 17 years covering hardware this happens with every major product release, including CPU and GPU.
Just happens to be the first time AMD has had a relevant consumer processor in a very long time.
NVIDIA calls to talk their perceived advantages before a new AMD GPU release and vice versa. Even on MBs. No harm if the media is competent.

You're telling me /r/amd worked up a hysterical persecution complex over nothing? I can't believe it :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
@kylebennett "Don't be a Pussy, PreOrder AMD Ryzen Today!"

Make that which you will

• Locked thread