Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've said it before but it's weird that a film-maker who can do enchanting, bizarre, slow-paced, visually striking magical stuff so well turned Hellboy into generic action garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It has always upset me that X-men, with its massive number of characters who are all very well developed, decided to stay with essentially the same 5 characters its whole run for the most part. I will not be sad if we never seen Magneto, Mystique or any of them ever again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I liked all the young kids in Apocalypse. My hope is that they focus solely on Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver, and maybe you can bring back Beast. But other than I'd be more than happy with nobody else returning.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I have to give the first class series credit, it's the only place I've ever found quicksilver interesting

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Quicksilver is great in the comics. He's right there with Namor as the biggest rear end in a top hat in the Marvel Universe and I love that.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Lurdiak posted:

I've said it before but it's weird that a film-maker who can do enchanting, bizarre, slow-paced, visually striking magical stuff so well turned Hellboy into generic action garbage.
I would imagine there was some focus test/studio interference bullshit

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

site posted:

I have to give the first class series credit, it's the only place I've ever found quicksilver interesting

Quicksilver wasn't in first class?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Quicksilver is great when he's not being obsessive over Wanda. And I don't just mean Ultimate twincest.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

notthegoatseguy posted:

Quicksilver wasn't in first class?

He's not, but First Class, Days of Future Past, and Apocalypse are often called the First Class trilogy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm watching Suicide Squad for the first time. Pray for me.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
It wouldn't do any good. You're lost to us, my friend.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm watching Suicide Squad for the first time. Pray for me.

If you drink then take a shot every time you hear a new song. That way you won't have to suffer through the second half of the film and witness the terribleness that is Enchantress.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

That's academy award winning suicide squad, now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hahaha, wow. That's something.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I was only half watching, so I'm not sure what it was up against. But if I was drinking, I'd do a literal spit take when they announced it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
WINNER
SUICIDE SQUAD
Alessandro Bertolazzi, Giorgio Gregorini and Christopher Nelson
NOMINEES
A MAN CALLED OVE
Eva von Bahr and Love Larson
STAR TREK BEYOND
Joel Harlow and Richard Alonzo

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
For Hair and Makeup, because it's hard to make Margo Robbie look like that.

Already fucktards with Joker avatars are tweeting about how it won an oscar. It won an oscar that had nothing to do with acting, or directing or writing for any of the poo poo that's important in the way they're acting.

EDIT: Should clear that up, good for the makeup artists getting recognized.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I thought it couldn't get any worse than the 15 back to back pop song montages, but then the movie stopped and let the characters speak and I was proven wrong. I think I hate every single person involved in making this movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's such dad rock too, but like an Ernest Cline novel, they make it out to be the craziest, most edgy rock music there is.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

DC can now advertise their movies with "From the studio that brought you the Academy Award winning Suicide Squad!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

twistedmentat posted:

It's such dad rock too, but like an Ernest Cline novel, they make it out to be the craziest, most edgy rock music there is.

I don't even mind that, honestly. The issue is that they're crammed into every single loving scene in the first 48 minutes, like an extraordinarily lovely music video. Then the back half of the movie alternates between "boring as poo poo" and "oh christ they're trying to quip again".

I know the comparison to GotG has been done over and over since this thing's release, but it really does seem like the movie spends half its runtime shouting at the audience "HEY THIS IS JUST LIKE GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, REMEMBER HOW MUCH YOU LIKED GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY? WELL THIS IS LIKE BAD GUY GUARDIANS OF THE DC GALAXY AND WE MADE MARGOT ROBBIE SAY THE LINES FROM THE OLD CARTOON THAT YOU LIKED SO MUCH!"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean there are bits and pieces I liked. I like Diablo a lot. I thought Viola Davis was really good even though Amanda Waller's part in the film is terrible. I like Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn and Will Smith as Deadshot just fine. Enchantress I think is hands down the worst villain in any modern comic book movie though. Also there was a guy that played Rick Flagg in the movie and that's about as much as you can say about him.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Flagg was the absolute worst, followed by Croc. I hated Joker, but I'm not sure how much of that can be attributed to my dislike for Leto in general. Diablo was fine when they remembered to give him a line.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My favorite thing posted about Suicide Squad winning is that it now has as many Oscars wins as the entire Shrek franchise.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don't even mind that, honestly. The issue is that they're crammed into every single loving scene in the first 48 minutes, like an extraordinarily lovely music video. Then the back half of the movie alternates between "boring as poo poo" and "oh christ they're trying to quip again".

I know the comparison to GotG has been done over and over since this thing's release, but it really does seem like the movie spends half its runtime shouting at the audience "HEY THIS IS JUST LIKE GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, REMEMBER HOW MUCH YOU LIKED GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY? WELL THIS IS LIKE BAD GUY GUARDIANS OF THE DC GALAXY AND WE MADE MARGOT ROBBIE SAY THE LINES FROM THE OLD CARTOON THAT YOU LIKED SO MUCH!"

Guardians at least had the music be part of the scene your watching. They're not just playing Hooked On A Feeling while Quill is being beaten, it's because it's what the guard is listening to. That its just "hey Sabbath is cool! that means Croc is cool!" and its just painful.

And yea the back half is just terrible. It lurches from bad action scene to bad dialog scene without any cohesion, with the most generic henchmen and goal.

Robbie is fine, and Will Smith felt a lot like 90s Will Smith so good. I felt Diablo was a non-entity, his only part being conflicted about using his power and sounding like ever latino gangbanger ever in a tv show or movie. Boomerang's best scene was his intro where the Flash gets him.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I wish Croc did something other than just stand around.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The musical cues in Suicide Squad are basically just lazy shortcuts for characterization. This song is wacky! That means this is a wacky character!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The one good thing I'll say about Suicide Squad is that it's the only time I've ever liked Jai Courtney in anything, even if he barely does anything in that movie.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Arist posted:

The one good thing I'll say about Suicide Squad is that it's the only time I've ever liked Jai Courtney in anything, even if he barely does anything in that movie.

I liked him in Spartacus. I've never liked in him much in movies at all. He's about as bland as the guy that played Rick Flagg normally.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

I wish Croc did something other than just stand around.

Hey, he swam that one time, too

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Did he throw a rock?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Did he throw a rock?

He threw a bomb for some reason.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There's one moment i actually liked Enchantress, when she teleports back and gives the documents to the general, and she starts feeling him up and he's all "please don't touch me".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

The musical cues in Suicide Squad are basically just lazy shortcuts for characterization. This song is wacky! That means this is a wacky character!

I only made it about 20 minutes in and I believe they'd run through more songs than are ON Awesome Mix Vol. 1. And they're all blatantly studio picked hits, rather than "poo poo James Gunn has on his Spotify playlist". I mean loving Sympathy For The Devil for Joker? I love the song, but Jesus, spend more than half a second thinking of the soundtrack, guys.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He threw a bomb for some reason.
He wanted to prove Batman wrong. That you can always get rid of a bomb.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Looks like there is a new Guardians trailer on Kimmel tonight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

That would require me to watch Kimmel.

I'll wait for Youtube.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Not tonight. Sometime this week.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

That would require me to watch Kimmel.

I'll wait for Youtube.

Yea the Oscars is the first time I've seen him do his thing, and uh yea, it's enough.

Codependent Poster posted:

Not tonight. Sometime this week.

I could have sworn the ad said "tonight"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I watched the Man Show back in the day. That was enough Kimmel to last a lifetime.

• Locked thread