Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

couldcareless posted:

Me and my wife just pay different bills or expenditures and split monthly house payment in half. Personal debt is your responsibility and anything left is up for you to decide what you want to do. It honestly works out really well and lots of potential fights are avoided as a result.

Out of curiosity, how do you handle stuff like retirement saving or health insurance? Do you plan that out together like house payments, or discuss it periodically, or just hope you're each doing ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dalstrs posted:

Is there any yard mosquito control that actually works or are they all gimmicks? They guy at the hardware store was telling me how great some garlic extract stuff they sell was but it was around $70 for a gallon which is 4x as expensive as most of the other insecticides they were selling.

Assuming you're talking about yard/area control, everything I've tried other than fogging (which lasts for about a day so it only suitable for like....events) or the CO2 generators that you hang a propane cylinder off of have been somewhere between worthless to nearly worthless.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ashcans posted:

Out of curiosity, how do you handle stuff like retirement saving or health insurance? Do you plan that out together like house payments, or discuss it periodically, or just hope you're each doing ok?

Don't know about couldcareless, but my wife and I each have a Roth IRA to which we max out contributions to (from our respective checking accounts), health insurance and 401ks are employer-provided so they don't require the other person's input anyway (but we've talked about 401ks and contributing to get the full employer match + some extra makes sense, so we each do that separately).

It's not necessary for us to regulate each others' expenses so there would be no advantage to setting up shared checking and brokerage accounts. She has direct deposit setup to send my checking account her share of the mortgage expenses each month, and I pay the mortgage out of mine. We try to split the costs of random large expenses as best we're able; one person can send money to the other's account, or help pay off some portion of the other's credit card, or can offer to cover some other big expense happening around the same time (aka you pay for the plane tickets, I'll cover the hotel and car)

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

dalstrs posted:

Is there any yard mosquito control that actually works or are they all gimmicks? They guy at the hardware store was telling me how great some garlic extract stuff they sell was but it was around $70 for a gallon which is 4x as expensive as most of the other insecticides they were selling.

DDT. Nets.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Ashcans posted:

She is self employed so I put her on my work health insurance (or I would if they weren't insanely expensive to add a spouse so I just have an ACA plan for her that I pay monthly instead). I have a 401K and she has a Roth that she maxes out.
Basically we split anything house related, whether it's an escrow overage check or a cost such as a repair or improvements.
If one of us is struggling for whatever reason, the other helps out. Everything works out well, to be honest.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

This is terrible derail folks.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Discussing how couples who own homes manage their finances seems pretty on-topic to me

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Motronic posted:

Assuming you're talking about yard/area control, everything I've tried other than fogging (which lasts for about a day so it only suitable for like....events) or the CO2 generators that you hang a propane cylinder off of have been somewhere between worthless to nearly worthless.

drat, that's what I was afraid of.

We have a pool and I was hoping for something that could make the yard comfortable for the people who are not jumping in the water.

I've seen a few companies in the area touting monthly treatments but I didn't see anything about what any of them do that gave me an impression that it would really keep mosquitoes out of my yard for more than a few hours after they spray. I was hoping there was something out there but I guess not.

Maybe if we have a big party I can fog before it otherwise we will stick with the OFF and staying wet combo.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

dalstrs posted:

We have a pool and I was hoping for something that could make the yard comfortable for the people who are not jumping in the water.

I've seen a few companies in the area touting monthly treatments but I didn't see anything about what any of them do that gave me an impression that it would really keep mosquitoes out of my yard for more than a few hours after they spray. I was hoping there was something out there but I guess not.

Maybe if we have a big party I can fog before it otherwise we will stick with the OFF and staying wet combo.

Short of your municipality doing aggressive mosquito control measures where they handle stagnant water immediately to prevent them from breeding you're simply going to need to spray your houseguests with 100% DEET or similar.

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
Make sure you and your neighbors get rid of all standing water. Garbage debris and gutters/drains are big culprits.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dalstrs posted:

If it's bad enough that you would splash out for professional treatment, you're in the range of money to buy something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/SkeeterVac-SV5100-Mosquito-Eliminator-Coverage/dp/B00134J6QQ

You may need 2.

I'm not endorsing that particular model - I know nothing about it, just an example. But that style is what actually works. It's the kind of thing you'll find hidden in the landscaping at resorts in the tropics and poo poo. They definitely do the job.

robotindisguise posted:

Make sure you and your neighbors get rid of all standing water. Garbage debris and gutters/drains are big culprits.

Yes. Do the simple stuff first, but you'll still likely need something else.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Everyone and their mother seems to think it's OK to drive on my lawn so the grass on the edge of it is totally torn up and replaced with tire tracks. The last straw for my wife was we came home yesterday and some woman was in a smoking, disabled car in our lawn because she decided to use our lawn to make a U-turn (why she did not choose to use our empty driveway I cannot fathom) and got stuck and had to be towed. Does anyone have any ideas for discouraging this short of building a full-fledged fence? I'm a bit sensitive to big outlays given that I just bought the house a few months ago and also my car was just totaled. I was thinking maybe some reflectors might help.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Cement filled posts on the grass by the curb assuming that's allowed by code in your area

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Concrete lawn pyramids (the ones that are maybe six inches tall) used to be insanely popular, but I have the feeling they've been outlawed. I'm not seeing them for sale anywhere.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Everyone and their mother seems to think it's OK to drive on my lawn so the grass on the edge of it is totally torn up and replaced with tire tracks. The last straw for my wife was we came home yesterday and some woman was in a smoking, disabled car in our lawn because she decided to use our lawn to make a U-turn (why she did not choose to use our empty driveway I cannot fathom) and got stuck and had to be towed. Does anyone have any ideas for discouraging this short of building a full-fledged fence? I'm a bit sensitive to big outlays given that I just bought the house a few months ago and also my car was just totaled. I was thinking maybe some reflectors might help.

Very large rocks. This has the added benefit of actually stopping cars from crashing through your fence/further into your yard/into your house.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You may be surprised to learn that the local government has made it legal for people to enter your property temporarily as a sort of right of way that extends beyond the street. Big rocks are probably your best bet to discourage this if you don't have a fire hose to spray people with. A landscape supply company can deliver them on a truck with a moffett type forklift and place them where you point. It may not be legal for you to place them where you want but worst case you get a letter telling you to move them.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Big rear end chunks of granite.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

You may be surprised to learn that the local government has made it legal for people to enter your property temporarily as a sort of right of way that extends beyond the street. Big rocks are probably your best bet to discourage this if you don't have a fire hose to spray people with. A landscape supply company can deliver them on a truck with a moffett type forklift and place them where you point. It may not be legal for you to place them where you want but worst case you get a letter telling you to move them.

Yeah, one of my neighbors has this, actually. Do you have any idea how much that sort of thing would cost?

And honestly, if people want to turn around in my driveway or whatever, that's fine, but the degree to which people are driving on the grass is really excessive.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Yeah, one of my neighbors has this, actually. Do you have any idea how much that sort of thing would cost?

And honestly, if people want to turn around in my driveway or whatever, that's fine, but the degree to which people are driving on the grass is really excessive.

If time is not too much of a factor you can get them pretty cheap off craigslist most times. Otherwise, probably about $3 per foot.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Leviathan Song posted:

If time is not too much of a factor you can get them pretty cheap off craigslist most times. Otherwise, probably about $3 per foot.

I'm assuming getting them put in to place is not included in that price, right? I don't really see myself moving a bunch of huge stones.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

The question that you're asking is also subject to enormous regional variations, so searching for your area and "landscape stone" will probably get you some people to give you quotes.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

I'm assuming getting them put in to place is not included in that price, right? I don't really see myself moving a bunch of huge stones.

Yes. If you're not doing it yourself then get a quote from a landscaper. We have no idea what labor costs in your location.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Intuitively I'd guess that your average landscaping stone can be moved with a cheap hand truck. They're probably not going to weigh in excess of 100 pounds, in other words, so with appropriate mechanical advantage you should be able to get them into position solo. You'd still need to get them delivered, of course.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

robotindisguise posted:

I worked in mosquito abatement for a few summers, and it was amazing what lurked in some peoples yard. Bird baths are a big problem area for stagnant water. Empty flower pots and wheelbarrows full of water were not uncommon either. The worst I ever saw was a guy who had two 50 gallon trash cans wired to his fence. Both of which were full of water and mosquito larvae. That was a fun one to deal with.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Intuitively I'd guess that your average landscaping stone can be moved with a cheap hand truck. They're probably not going to weigh in excess of 100 pounds, in other words, so with appropriate mechanical advantage you should be able to get them into position solo. You'd still need to get them delivered, of course.

If you're talking about rocks that can deter cars, you're looking at something way, way heavier than you can reasonably move yourself. Some website says basalt weighs in at 188 lbs per cubic foot. So a 2' x 2' x 2' rock would be 1500 lbs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Economic Sinkhole posted:

If you're talking about rocks that can deter cars, you're looking at something way, way heavier than you can reasonably move yourself. Some website says basalt weighs in at 188 lbs per cubic foot. So a 2' x 2' x 2' rock would be 1500 lbs.

It doesn't have to stop the car forcibly, just present a deterrent that will have them turning around on someone else's lawn instead.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Leviathan Song posted:

This is the only thing I can ever think of when someone talks about buying landscape material off CL.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

It doesn't have to stop the car forcibly, just present a deterrent that will have them turning around on someone else's lawn instead.

Yeah, the rock should be high enough that people look at it and think "if I drive over that, it might hit the underside of my bumper". It doesn't have to be anywhere near 2' tall.

Still, perhaps my handtruck suggestion was overoptimistic.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

uwaeve posted:

This is the only thing I can ever think of when someone talks about buying landscape material off CL.

I thought for sure it was going to end with the guy getting $100 to come back and haul the rocks off while the guy was still at work.

Boulders are usually sold by the ton plus delivery. Different sizes and quantities cost different prices not to mention if you live close to a quarry the prices will be much lower.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just throw a bunch of nails in the street

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You can get a 4ft tall metal fence post for about $3.50

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-2-1-4-in-x-2-1-2-in-x-4-ft-Green-Steel-Fence-U-Post-901154EB/205960882

A few of those and either some high-viz string along them or plastic roll fencing wouldn't cost too much.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 2, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FCKGW posted:

You can get a 4ft tall metal fence post for about $3.50

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-2-1-4-in-x-2-1-2-in-x-4-ft-Green-Steel-Fence-U-Post-901154EB/205960882

A few of those and either some high-viz string along them or plastic roll fencing wouldn't cost too much.

Is that the ugliest idea you came up with? Pfft. Just pile garbage along the length of your property.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Is that the ugliest idea you came up with? Pfft. Just pile garbage along the length of your property.

Just dig a trench and fill it with burning tires.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, the rock should be high enough that people look at it and think "if I drive over that, it might hit the underside of my bumper". It doesn't have to be anywhere near 2' tall.

Still, perhaps my handtruck suggestion was overoptimistic.

I have a welded steel dolly with solid wheels that I use to move around stones up to 300 lbs. I don't recommend it, but it is doable.

My childhood home had 9 - 12 inch stones lining the extension for exactly this reason.

Shredded lawn guy: Have you considered a split rail fence?

Battered Cankles fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 3, 2017

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
lol if you aren't putting in a moat

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Setup a "scarecrow" that looks like a child just sitting on the sidewalk, so when someone drives on the grass they'll think that they hit a kid

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Battered Cankles posted:

I have a welded steel dolly with solid wheels that I use to move around stones up to 300 lbs. I don't recommend it, but it is doable.

My childhood home had 9 - 12 inch stones lining the extension for exactly this reason.

Shredded lawn guy: Have you considered a split rail fence?

My impression was that any kind of fence was going to be really expensive.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

My impression was that any kind of fence was going to be really expensive.

Putting in a simple split rail fence is relatively cheap, certainly cheaper than having giant rocks delivered and moved. You can DIY it with a manual post hole digger and stuff from a material supply (or farm supply if you're more rural).

Fancy vinyl or panel fencing gets expensive. Simple split rail might cost...$10/foot if you go simple.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Just park your own broken down car on your lawn, then no one can use it to turn around! Bonus: If you put it on cinder blocks people won't even be able to steal it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

LogisticEarth posted:

Putting in a simple split rail fence is relatively cheap, certainly cheaper than having giant rocks delivered and moved. You can DIY it with a manual post hole digger and stuff from a material supply (or farm supply if you're more rural).

Fancy vinyl or panel fencing gets expensive. Simple split rail might cost...$10/foot if you go simple.

The soil is really hard after the first few inches and I thought putting up a mailbox was gonna kill me (also it came out really crooked) so I don't have a lot of confidence in this as a DIY job.