Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

echinopsis posted:

how is it confusing

i mean they keep adding a lot of poo poo i dont want or need but the basics are good

do they have a solution for keeping/offloading copies of your pictures In The Cloud or are 'pro' users doomed to buy stacks of LaCie/G-Drives until the end of time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

anthonypants posted:

the correct option is to put it on your network and connect it to your print server and have all your clients print to the print server

but we all know you're not going to bother doing that

i don't have a print server but i do have a computer that is always on

this is a small business printer: the chances of more than one thing ever wanting to print at once is like once every 8 months

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jimmy Carter posted:

do they have a solution for keeping/offloading copies of your pictures In The Cloud or are 'pro' users doomed to buy stacks of LaCie/G-Drives until the end of time?

creative cloud yeah

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

anthonypants posted:

the correct option is to put it on your network and connect it to your print server and have all your clients print to the print server

but we all know you're not going to bother doing that

yeah just stick it on wifi mate she'll be right gently caress me days

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm in order to network I think I need more cables :negative: one day... one day maybe. got gifted an old wifi dsl router which i might see if i can shoehorn into an access point in this part of house and then use that as printer connection

so buying photoshop at $15 a mo gets you 2gb ... wow

icloud pricing is really reasonable. 50gb for like a dollar fifity? imma up to the 4.50 plan for 200gb and put all my family photos on it :D

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

adobe can go suck a dick

how much cloud are you using?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well currently like 20gb but i since that post upgraded and will upload a something many gb to the cloyud

the creative cloud sucks. i subscribe to illustrator which gives 20gb but photoshop+lightroom (also sub to) gives u 2 gb

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
abobe

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
lol at raster graphics tool having less than the vector tool

the only thing i do now is draw so clip studio works well
50 bucks for a tool that is fast and doesn't suck giant donkey balls

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Keep in mind that setting up a Print Server will cost device CALs for every queue you throw on the thing, whereas it's "free" to use Group Policy to create direct IP mappings based on a security group or however you want to build it.

I'm not advocating the latter approach, but if it's really a small business setup with a limited amount of budget/infrastructure it's probably the way to do it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

i don't have a print server but i do have a computer that is always on

this is a small business printer: the chances of more than one thing ever wanting to print at once is like once every 8 months

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-laser-printer/ get the one with ethernet, it's 2ez to set up and works great

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

with cals it depends on what version of windows you are on. if you are on essentials or foundation 2012 you don't have to worry about cals. for 2016 essentials does not require cals. these are more common for small biz. if you are a non profit or educational company you can get cals through techsoup for nearly free

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-laser-printer/ get the one with ethernet, it's 2ez to set up and works great

got a brother but needed doco scanner and colour

im happy with it

this is very small business. like wife and I small business

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

lampey posted:

with cals it depends on what version of windows you are on. if you are on essentials or foundation 2012 you don't have to worry about cals. for 2016 essentials does not require cals. these are more common for small biz. if you are a non profit or educational company you can get cals through techsoup for nearly free

I can speak for the TechSoup thing directly, the cost of things is bonkers. Even poo poo like SCCM costs nothing.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

hmm in order to network I think I need more cables :negative: one day... one day maybe. got gifted an old wifi dsl router which i might see if i can shoehorn into an access point in this part of house and then use that as printer connection

so buying photoshop at $15 a mo gets you 2gb ... wow

icloud pricing is really reasonable. 50gb for like a dollar fifity? imma up to the 4.50 plan for 200gb and put all my family photos on it :D

fwiw we got OneDrive and it's cheap and other until recently sucking up your entire bandwidth until it completed its sync it suited need. it came with the Microsoft office suite thing and gives 1tb for like $100 a year.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

fwiw we got OneDrive and it's cheap and other until recently sucking up your entire bandwidth until it completed its sync it suited need. it came with the Microsoft office suite thing and gives 1tb for like $100 a year.
same, im paying $10/month to get my family microsoft office licences, and im left with spare 5 terabytes of cloud storage and bunch of hours of skype credit each month

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

onedrive blows rear end it likes to peg my laptop cpu and try to sync and fail constantly, literally crashes with lil crash dialogs on the reg, and keeps hijacking my documents folder and trying to sync it even though it is substantially larger than my onedrive limit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bloody posted:

onedrive blows rear end it likes to peg my laptop cpu and try to sync and fail constantly, literally crashes with lil crash dialogs on the reg, and keeps hijacking my documents folder and trying to sync it even though it is substantially larger than my onedrive limit
it has literally never done any of these things on my laptop, thankfully

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it has literally never done any of these things on my laptop, thankfully

same, and its oddly good cross platform. the real ding against it is most apps that use cloud storage to sync only do dropbox so it cant fully replace my workflows

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Agile Vector posted:

same, and its oddly good cross platform. the real ding against it is most apps that use cloud storage to sync only do dropbox so it cant fully replace my workflows
yeah, that's rear end. my sole app workflow there is keepass2 and it is perfectly serviceable on anroid

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

my sole app workflow there is keepass2 and it is perfectly serviceable on anroid

lmao @ all these terrible choices

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
keep rear end two is my backup password manager while i leave the day to day poo poo to lass pass. i love this poo poo

also icloud is cooler coz it's apple. idk what i seem to like about it is that the poo poo doesn't need to sit around on my pc.. it's on the file system but only downloads when necessary: maybe others do this idk

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

keep rear end two is my backup password manager while i leave the day to day poo poo to lass pass. i love this poo poo

also icloud is cooler coz it's apple. idk what i seem to like about it is that the poo poo doesn't need to sit around on my pc.. it's on the file system but only downloads when necessary: maybe others do this idk

yeah onedrive did this at one point and they removed that functionality which is stupid and made it less cool

i loop my 1password through dropbox sync and its very need suiting esp their watchtower flagging the dumbo sites that make the list for leaks each week

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ty sa for not being one of those sites but lol if i would use the same password twice anyways

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i have a mikrotik routerboard and very little networking experience, and i'm trying to set up a thing

in vmware i have:

vswitch0 - management network, 2 separate teamed nics, 10.x.x.x ips
vswitch1 - public network, 2 separate teamed nics, public ips

ideally, i want to run openvpn on the routerboard so i can access vmware and whatnot

am i overthinking this and is it literally as simple as just setting management stuff to listen on private ips, configuring openvpn, and configuring it to access 10.x.x.x?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

just to muse the thread, linkedin for me goes back and forth between new and old interface on per-page basis

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
i had to drop $50 on two 717w dell power supplies because i discovered today that two 502w power supplies cannot properly provide power to a PERC H700i, six hard drives and 96GB of memory

so now my CPUs are running at 1.6GHz (down from 2.9GHz) and my memory at 800MHz (down from 1333MHz) all because i'm an idiot

e: i'm an idiot again because i rebooted the box and now it doesn't complain and runs everything at the expected spec

:downs:

RISCy Business fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 3, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

abraham linkedin posted:

i had to drop $50 on two 717w dell power supplies because i discovered today that two 502w power supplies cannot properly provide power to a PERC H700i, six hard drives and 96GB of memory

so now my CPUs are running at 1.6GHz (down from 2.9GHz) and my memory at 800MHz (down from 1333MHz) all because i'm an idiot

e: i'm an idiot again because i rebooted the box and now it doesn't complain and runs everything at the expected spec

They are meant to be able to run on a single power supply so you should always calculate for that.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

abraham linkedin posted:

two 502w power supplies cannot properly provide power to a PERC H700i, six hard drives and 96GB of memory

thats uh not how that works

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

abraham linkedin posted:

lol wtf is with those wattage ratings

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

graph posted:

thats uh not how that works

how so? because the DRAC was complaining "power exceeds capacity"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

abraham linkedin posted:

how so? because the DRAC was complaining "power exceeds capacity"

they are redundant not parallel. maybe you need a card that does staggered spin up and it's a crapshoot when you turn the computer on

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

they are redundant not parallel. maybe you need a card that does staggered spin up and it's a crapshoot when you turn the computer on

i'm honestly thinking it's wattage, since i pulled the additional 32GB of memory i installed and the DRAC never complained across several reboots, but as soon as i installed the modules again it started bitching

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

abraham linkedin posted:

i'm honestly thinking it's wattage, since i pulled the additional 32GB of memory i installed and the DRAC never complained across several reboots, but as soon as i installed the modules again it started bitching

yeah but i mean, 6 hard drives is like 150w right at startup

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

yeah but i mean, 6 hard drives is like 150w right at startup

right, which is why i'm thinking the additional RAM might've pushed me overboard

hoping the 717w will fix this, since dell only made 502w and 717w PSUs for the r610 i can't imagine that it'll be insufficient for what is a wholly supported configuration

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

abraham linkedin posted:

right, which is why i'm thinking the additional RAM might've pushed me overboard

hoping the 717w will fix this

did you mean hopefully moving to the cloud and not owning an actual meatspace version of a server in 2017 will fix this?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Corla Plankun posted:

did you mean hopefully moving to the cloud and not owning an actual meatspace version of a server in 2017 will fix this?

the cloud is for hipsters

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
also:

:pwn:

or i can pay ~$120/mo to colocate mine

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

you can get a dedicated server from OVH/kimsufi/soyoustart or other resellers with 64Gb of ram for as low as $60 a month. depending on the disk and cpu needed you can save a ton of money. you are also paying for someone else to deal with hardware problems and you can just provision another server if there are any hardware problems.

https://www.soyoustart.com/us/essential-servers/

https://www.ovh.ie/dedicated_servers/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

how long is the iPhone se sticking around for?