Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

JBP posted:

I'm hoping that skaven get a wriggly movement style so they look like they sweep and swarm more than look like a selected brick moving to engage another brick. I know in tt they're obviously a brick too, but even if they gave the impression of a swarming wave despite being mechanically the same on enemy contact that would do me.

I agree but I think StormVermin should totally march and chant like they do in Vermintide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

wiegieman posted:

Shogun 2 is, at the least, the best of the historical games. I've yet to decide whether TWW is better.

Shogun 2 (well, FOTS, never played the original) has a polish that TWW lacks, from its atmospheric map design to the way cannon balls skip along the ground before detonating into a gorgeous spray pf shrapnel and smoke.

Of course, it also essentially featured a single faction, and lacked gigantic monsters, flashy magic and bizarre war machines. Plus I thought S2's cavalry charges were kind of lame. Total Warhammer is also the only game in the series whose campaigns I've actually played to completion.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

Shogun 2 is, at the least, the best of the historical games. I've yet to decide whether TWW is better.

Yeah Shogun 2 still holds up as a good, playable game. Earlier than that things get kind of janky but Shogun 2 is just solid all around. It's kind of hard to compare it to TWW because there are a lot of key differences between them, both in minor details like how units in Shogun 2 don't have health (if they get hit, they just die), and major ones, like the fact that every faction draws from the same unit pool so it's very balanced vs. Warhammer's factions all offering unique options.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Phrosphor posted:

I agree but I think StormVermin should totally march and chant like they do in Vermintide.

Yeah it would be rad to have an organised looking core of stormvermin with swarming clan rats around them. I'm looking forward to Skaven in any case, they're a cool race and should be pretty different to everything else in there (not that anything is similar which is why I love the game).

Does anyone have any good tips for winning as beasts of chaos? I tend to move a little way, smash up a few things, get my tech going and then get log jammed by Orion or some other massive fuckhead and lose the game on turn 20.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
The only reason I'm going back to Medieval 2 is for the Warhammer mods that give us all the factions cause maaaaaaaaan they are not exactly churning the DLC out. For all the bitching we're at the 10 month mark with 2 lord packs and 2 race packs and a cosmetic DLC. I expected a Paradox pace for DLC.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

One, making distinct races in this game requires a lot more time than a paradox pace would allow, thanks to all the new art assets, and two, aside from Chaos the races we've gotten have been really drat good, to the point that they make launch race content look bad. Couple that with the fact that the next race pack is going to be a full game with three new races crammed into it, and I'd say they're making pretty good time.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

fnordcircle posted:

The only reason I'm going back to Medieval 2 is for the Warhammer mods that give us all the factions cause maaaaaaaaan they are not exactly churning the DLC out. For all the bitching we're at the 10 month mark with 2 lord packs and 2 race packs and a cosmetic DLC. I expected a Paradox pace for DLC.

Stellaris came out ten months ago as well and it had one content and one cosmetic DLC in all that time, CK2 has a lot of DLC now, but they weren't that fast coming early on. I feel the DLC pace for EU4 was more an outlier than the norm for Paradox releases.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Psycho Landlord posted:

One, making distinct races in this game requires a lot more time than a paradox pace would allow, thanks to all the new art assets, and two, aside from Chaos the races we've gotten have been really drat good, to the point that they make launch race content look bad. Couple that with the fact that the next race pack is going to be a full game with three new races crammed into it, and I'd say they're making pretty good time.

I can't work out the DLC/expansions. Is it going to be Skaven, DE and Lizardmen in the major expansion release?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

JBP posted:

I can't work out the DLC/expansions. Is it going to be Skaven, DE and Lizardmen in the major expansion release?

I believe it will be High Elves, Dark Elves, Skaven, and Lizardmen.

Even if they don't expand naval combat, it would be cool and unique if Dark Elves worked as a 'horde' faction but only over the water. So you get various 'Ark' buildings while sailing the high seas, then go raid ports and play havoc on Uthulan and the New World.It would make a fun threat for other factions since the closest we get is Bjornlings which send a few stacks and then just die off. But if Dark Elves could raid your ports, then even if they got beat just fuckoff out into the open ocean to regroup they would be a recurring threat you'd have to deal with thoughout the campaign. Combined with spawning Beastmen and Savage Orcs it would mean there'd be no shortage of baddies to fight if you'd get spawns of them popping up out on the ocean.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 27, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JBP posted:

And High Elves according to the datamining that's been accurate so far. First full expansion adds Ulthuan and the New World, second will be drastically revamping and expanding on Chaos and adding Daemons (and possibly Chaos Dwarves). The South (i.e. Tomb Kings and Araby) and East (Ogres, Nippon, possibly Chaos Dwarves) will be DLC between the first and second expansions.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

That sounds rad. I should probably get around to finishing a campaign with someone that isn't Chaos, Dwarves or Empire though...

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Coming from Shogun 2 I think I've been spoiled with multiplayer. It had a complete MP campaign of sorts and was deeper than the singleplayer and having just recently got this and the only option is just quick battles is real depressing :ohdear:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Coming from Shogun 2 I think I've been spoiled with multiplayer. It had a complete MP campaign of sorts and was deeper than the singleplayer and having just recently got this and the only option is just quick battles is real depressing :ohdear:

Maybe I misunderstood you, but you can play the grand campaign 2 player multiplayer in TW:WH.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The customization was cool I guess but I feel like plenty of people feel the exact opposite.

For example I was extremely happy to see the unlocking garbage removed from multiplayer, and give you access to all units right away. Not every game needs a level up grind. When you first started out you didn't even have access to cavalry that could counter melee sword infantry (light cavalry only starting out), I mean come on.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 27, 2017

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Captain Beans posted:

The customization was cool I guess but I feel like plenty of people feel the exact opposite.

For example I was extremely happy to see the unlocking garbage removed from multiplayer, and give you access to all units right away. Not every game needs a level up grind. When you first started out you didn't even have access to cavalry that could counter melee sword infantry (light cavalry only starting out), I mean come on.

Sure that part sucked but it wasn't a guaranteed loss if you didn't have <x> unit if you played better. I just mean the whole persistent progression part. The customisation of your leader and your veterans, the whole clan leaderboards and over world map really added an entire level to the game :ohdear:

E: Also being able to pick your army and what size battle you want to play before you find a match. I just played a quick battle and it was 10k sized. I had no idea what was good or bad. How much of each to take, what counters what. I got destroyed by a Brettonian army without understanding why.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 27, 2017

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I wish they'd at least made beastmen giants have cow heads :(

I mean, they went to the effort of making their chaos spawn look different

edit: I know beastmen giants are a little different from their WoC counterparts, but still. Shoulda gone for cow head.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

peer posted:

edit: I know beastmen giants are a little different from their WoC counterparts, but still. Shoulda gone for cow head.

The real fun will be when the Tomb Kings get involved with their Necroliths. Have an armored, undead giant with an enormous sword known for its peerless ability to gently caress up entire armies of lesser foes with its Unstoppable Assault rule.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I just want to take a moment to say that the skeleton marching animations in this game are amazing and we should never forget that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

peer posted:

I hope Beastmen get their missing, centrepiece monsters someday. Wood Elves launched with pretty much everything outside of a few variant units and heroes, and they're actually expanding Bretonnia's roster significantly, so it'd be kind of sad if we never get to see the Warherds' Big Ugly in animated form.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

peer posted:

Should have skipped the giant entirely and added the Ghorgon instead.

He's only a little bigger than a giant.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Goddamn I really wish we got the Ghorgon (and Jabberslythe)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Goddamn I really wish we got the Ghorgon (and Jabberslythe)

How do you animate a Jabberslythe though? It's literally so horrible people die of fright from looking at it (I really wish they'd kept the death scream for the terrorgheist btw.)

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Smiling Knight posted:

Slightly more detailed answer: the absolute, most garbage phalanxes in the game were virtually unbeatable if attacked from the front. Infantry, even stuff like high tier legions, could never get through the pikes/spears to actually be close enough for the attack animations. High-tier cav could maybe, maybe use their mass to break through but would take horrific casualties.

IIRC they were also implemented in a way that let them keep their anti-cavalry bonuses even when charged from behind, so a unit of heavy cavalry executing a flawless rear charge against a phalanx would end up self-destructing to a magical retroactive about-face.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can anyone offer tips for the Empire? I start off well enough but around 40 turns in, I keep running into armies with no less than a hundred million troops and even if I match numbers, they still whoop my rear end. They like to send their Lords in and they severely disrupt my troops meanwhile mine keep getting caught on my troops and just run around in circles while theirs carves a hole through my flanks for their blob of melee dudes follows behind him (all while their army's worth of bowmen murder everything under the sun while mine stop shooting because of friendly fire or whatever). Should I rush a certain structure or region? I build economic buildings up the wazoo so I can afford my fat stacked armies but I still get outpaced by the AI. For ever stacked army I have they have about 3 more and not nearly as much land as I do.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

wiegieman posted:

How do you animate a Jabberslythe though? It's literally so horrible people die of fright from looking at it (I really wish they'd kept the death scream for the terrorgheist btw.)

I mean, sure the thing is ugly but it's a pretty basic quadripedal flying monster when you really look at it. It could use animations similar to the Manticore though I imagine it would be less agile and feral. Let it lash with it's big gross tongue, eat dudes and smash them with it's clubbed tail. Also, it should look really silly flying cause it's wings are a bit pathetic.

blindwoozie fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 27, 2017

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
CA did hint that there are several varieties of bretonnian longbowmen. We've heard about fire arrows but I wonder if there will be a variety than can deploy stakes... As I recall that was one option afforded to them in the TT game

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Grumio posted:

CA did hint that there are several varieties of bretonnian longbowmen. We've heard about fire arrows but I wonder if there will be a variety than can deploy stakes... As I recall that was one option afforded to them in the TT game

There are fire and poison that we've seen so far. They probably won't get an armor piercing though.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Cythereal posted:

And High Elves according to the datamining that's been accurate so far. First full expansion adds Ulthuan and the New World, second will be drastically revamping and expanding on Chaos and adding Daemons (and possibly Chaos Dwarves). The South (i.e. Tomb Kings and Araby) and East (Ogres, Nippon, possibly Chaos Dwarves) will be DLC between the first and second expansions.

I sincerely doubt they'll include Araby, Cathay, Nippon, Ind, or Khuresh. It'd be awesome if they did, kinda racist caricatures aside, but they'd have to create them out of mostly whole cloth. Heck they couldn't be arsed to do anything for Kislev, Estalia, or Tilea. Giving them funny hats might have been enough even if the rosters were the same as Empire The 3rd expansion will be Demons, Tomb Kings, Ogres, and Chaos Dwarfs.

Jimbot posted:

Can anyone offer tips for the Empire? I start off well enough but around 40 turns in, I keep running into armies with no less than a hundred million troops and even if I match numbers, they still whoop my rear end. They like to send their Lords in and they severely disrupt my troops meanwhile mine keep getting caught on my troops and just run around in circles while theirs carves a hole through my flanks for their blob of melee dudes follows behind him (all while their army's worth of bowmen murder everything under the sun while mine stop shooting because of friendly fire or whatever). Should I rush a certain structure or region? I build economic buildings up the wazoo so I can afford my fat stacked armies but I still get outpaced by the AI. For ever stacked army I have they have about 3 more and not nearly as much land as I do.

Don't expand quickly, the Chaos Invasion is tuned to how many settlements you own/sacked/razed. Get Reikland under control, don't make anything more than non-aggression/military access pacts with Empire factions to avoid needless conflict. Build walls on all your small settlements. After that, I usually go after Marienburg or destroy Skarsnik if Karak Norn didn't get lucky. Then wait for some province to get it's butt kicked bad enough to want to confederate; going after the orcs or penning in the Vampires in the meantime. The Wood Elves are assholes who will probably destroy Bretonnia, not much you can do about that besides beat them back in later turns. Green Chaos.

For battles, micromanage your lord and archers. Your lord, Balthasar aside, goes after theirs. If they get bogged down in units while the opposing breaks free, click furiously on what you want killed and your lord will eventually extricate himself. Put him a fair distance ahead of your front line and make a beeline for the opposing lord, unless it's Grimgor, in which case you kite him while you use handgunners or cavalry to chip away at him. For your archers, group them as a unit and have them all target their missile units, one at a time, till each group breaks and runs, then flank the enemy units with your archers/handgunners. Make sure you understand what anti-large, armor-piercing, etc. are good for and use appropriately. Also, artillery. Mortars are really good, especially in the beginning. Don't be afraid to pause a bunch if you're playing singleplayer.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Phrosphor posted:

I just want to take a moment to say that the skeleton marching animations in this game are amazing and we should never forget that.

I actually modded that out. It was weird to me that skeletons march in sync but nothing else does. Are skeletons less autonomous than zombies? I find the inconsistency jarring (because I am a huge nerd).

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Lassitude posted:

I actually modded that out. It was weird to me that skeletons march in sync but nothing else does. Are skeletons less autonomous than zombies? I find the inconsistency jarring (because I am a huge nerd).

Your opinions on Harryhausen skeletons are bad.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Lassitude posted:

In fact yes, they are. They're essentially magical constructs, whereas zombies are recently animated and are motivated by hunger. Wights (gave guard) are autonomous with an echo of their selves still there. So the Harryhausen animations are both funny and lore appropriate!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Lassitude posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Skeletons marching in perfect synch is one of the best parts of the vampire counts.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

I'm the Wilhelm scream coming from the kicked over skeleton.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Lassitude posted:

You are a loving monster.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Lassitude posted:

what the gently caress

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Aurubin posted:

I sincerely doubt they'll include Araby, Cathay, Nippon, Ind, or Khuresh. It'd be awesome if they did, kinda racist caricatures aside, but they'd have to create them out of mostly whole cloth. Heck they couldn't be arsed to do anything for Kislev, Estalia, or Tilea. Giving them funny hats might have been enough even if the rosters were the same as Empire The 3rd expansion will be Demons, Tomb Kings, Ogres, and Chaos Dwarfs.

If they did, i would buy it.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
is it true they're giving hte key out at midnight tonight if you signed up??? through that thign?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Blinks77 posted:

If they did, i would buy it.

I mean, I would too. Magical Fake China would be fun to see. TW fans always say they want a game set in medeival China, close enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

is it true they're giving hte key out at midnight tonight if you signed up??? through that thign?
If so, its either late or not being assigned based on EST.

• Locked thread