Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

endlessmonotony posted:

Ah, the Donald Trump argument.

Nah, it's the 'you misunderstood what I'm trying to say' argument.

Try and type out what you think I'm saying. Admittedly I'm probably not expressing myself awesomely, but it's sunday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Corbyn is going to have to try really hard to lose this one but I think he can do it.

I want a nice early prediction for what will happen.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Fangz posted:

you said it terribly and sounded really detached from causality

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Fangz posted:

Try and type out what you think I'm saying. Admittedly I'm probably not expressing myself awesomely, but it's sunday night.

I commented on what you said, not what you tried to say.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

I commented on what you said, not what you tried to say.

Cool then. I don't disagree.

EDIT: I will note though that the regulation you suggest would it seems to me rather run counter to what leftist regulation would lead to. I don't think it's generally longstanding leftist policy to try to tighten rules for lending by banks (i.e. prevent loans to poor people who have a lower chance of being able to repay it)? I think it's more common to suggest policies to force banks to lend more, instead of less.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 27, 2017

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

This will probably be one of those times when the selection process is more contentious than the vote

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

I want a nice early prediction for what will happen.

There's going to be by-election.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Pissflaps posted:

the pissflaps predictions have lost their air of risk

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

the pissflaps predictions have lost their air of risk

The only one I ever got wrong was Brexit.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

serious gaylord posted:

I genuinely wonder what would happen if there was a byelection in a safe labour city constituency at this point. Somewhere like Hackney that went so hard remain.

Not a million miles off.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

A win for Labour, which Mr Corbyn's supporters label a triumph and evidence the polls and media and Labour MPs are wrong.

Excitement provided mainly by the local Labour Party's decision not to look at their candidate's Twitter feed before selecting them.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

The winner of which will be...

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Hopefully the local party pick an actual left-wing MP, preferably one who supports Corbyn.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Namtab posted:

The Great British People.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

jabby posted:

Hopefully the local party pick an actual left-wing MP, preferably one who supports Corbyn.

Just having a quick look for info, I spotted this - http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/gorton-labour-party-police-bullying-11603957

Sounds like they like a bit of trouble. It's from July but "Many local Labour figures view the safe seat as a target for their ambitions" sounds ominous.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pissflaps posted:

His seat had a majority of 24,079, he took it with 67.1% of the vote in 2015. Corbynites have already declared it not a safe seat.

Oh gently caress off.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

HJB posted:

Just having a quick look for info, I spotted this - http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/gorton-labour-party-police-bullying-11603957

Sounds like they like a bit of trouble. It's from July but "Many local Labour figures view the safe seat as a target for their ambitions" sounds ominous.

Wonder if they're still suspended. It would be extremely funny for Corbyn to pull a Blair and drop in his favourite person over the heads of careerists who have been waiting for Kaufman to step down/die for years.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Fangz posted:

I don't recall hearing a peep from Jeremy Corbyn on banking deregulation before the financial crisis.

I can hook you up with some back issues of the Islington Gazette and Islington Tribune if you want to go check the only media outlets who gave regular coverage to an extremely awkward backbencher

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

I can hook you up with some back issues of the Islington Gazette and Islington Tribune if you want to go check the only media outlets who gave regular coverage to an extremely awkward backbencher

Having gone to the pointless trouble of looking up the debate... Corbyn was absent. He did vote with the government on some earlier amendments then.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Mister Adequate posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39097019

Glad a fuckhammer like this is involved in decisions that will affect me and who knows how many others :v:

It's daunting that someone who'd belch out an opinion like that is in such a position and whilst I agree with the thread that that particular man should be taken from his bed and publicly flogged immediately - and license granted for something else involving a primate and a spoon - my experience has been that there is generally still very little understanding out there about how severely mental illness can gently caress a person. My guess would be that most people would agree with him because depression and anxiety disorders as experienced by the working class are taken to be excuses to skive - lumped in along with back pain and teenage pregnancy. My GP told me when I went to her aged 15 and completely overwhelmed with the first ever really severe bout of depression I had experienced that I just needed to take up a sport and stop moping around. There is so little understanding about even common mental illnesses that I routinely find people relating depression to just feeling a bit sad and anxiety disorders to that feeling when you're sort of making GBS threads yourself about a big interview or that, when these are things that even at the best of times rob you of energy, time and sleep on a daily basis. I think I intended to make a point or other but it's very late and the thread will be closed soon anyway

Bring back public information films, maybe. :colbert:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I'm glad the US is at least appearing to learn from you guys' mistakes.

The democratic party didnt pick the leftmost candidate for chairman of the party, the favorite of the bernie sanders shitbirds.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

hakimashou posted:

The democratic party didnt pick the leftmost candidate for chairman of the party, the favorite of the bernie sanders shitbirds.

gently caress off would you.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

hakimashou posted:

Mayhaps it is people like you that make Labour rotten? Also do not pontificate on our poo poo.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

Cool then. I don't disagree.

EDIT: I will note though that the regulation you suggest would it seems to me rather run counter to what leftist regulation would lead to. I don't think it's generally longstanding leftist policy to try to tighten rules for lending by banks (i.e. prevent loans to poor people who have a lower chance of being able to repay it)? I think it's more common to suggest policies to force banks to lend more, instead of less.

As for the Financial Crisis of 2008 it is important to note that there was regulation put in place after the crash of 1929 called the Glass-Stegal act which:

"prohibits commercial banks from engaging in the investment business.

"It was enacted as an emergency response to the failure of nearly 5,000 banks during the Great Depression. The act was originally part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal program and became a permanent measure in 1945. It gave tighter regulation of national banks to the Federal Reserve System; prohibited bank sales of securities; and created the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), which insures bank deposits with a pool of money appropriated from banks."

"The Glass-Steagall Act restored public confidence in banking practices during the Great Depression. However, many historians believe that the commercial bank securities practices of the time had little actual effect on the already devastated economy and were not a major contributor to the Depression. Some legislators and bank reformers argued that the act was never necessary, or that it had become outdated and should be repealed.

"Congress responded to these criticisms in passing the Gramm-Leach-Bilely Act of 1999, which made significant changes to Glass-Steagall. The 1999 law did not make sweeping changes in the types of business that may be conducted by an individual bank, broker-dealer or insurance company. Instead, the act repealed the Glass-Steagall Act's restrictions on bank and securities-firm affiliations. It also amended the Bank Holding Company Act to permit affiliations among financial services companies, including banks, securities firms and insurance companies. The new law sought financial modernization by removing the very barriers that Glass-Steagall had erected."

Less than ten years later we had the financial crisis LOL.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Nonsense posted:

Mayhaps it is people like you that make Labour rotten? Also do not pontificate on our poo poo.

He's not Labour, he's a Tory troll at best. Possibly American too.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
lol what's with all the by elections in your silly country, don't mps have first deputies or something

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

TinTower posted:

Greens came second in Manchester Gorton in 2015.

Manchester Gorton voted 62-38 Remain.

Maybe the Greens can win it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Private Speech posted:

He's not Labour, he's a Tory troll at best. Possibly American too.

I apologize for him then.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

Well, labour of course. It's inconceivable that the opposition would lose a by election to the government. It just doesn't happen.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Well, labour of course. It's inconceivable that the opposition would lose a by election to the government. It just doesn't happen.

if Labour find a way to lose Manchester Gorton, it won't be to the government...

There's literally no chance of them losing though, they're defending a majority of 19,000 against the Greens. I expect to see a bit of a #libdemfightback because it went heavily remain.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Baron Corbyn posted:

if Labour find a way to lose Manchester Gorton, it won't be to the government...

There's literally no chance of them losing though, they're defending a majority of 19,000 against the Greens. I expect to see a bit of a #libdemfightback because it went heavily remain.

I'm told by people much cleverer than me that labour voters now support Brexit so that seems unlikely.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I'm told by people much cleverer than me that labour voters now support Brexit so that seems unlikely.

I guess this by election will be a good test of what Labour voters in a remain area do.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Brexit means brexit

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Brexit means brexit

Red white and blue brexit. Full English brexit.

B
R
E
X
I
T

Nothing else matters other than the March deadline for brexit.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
oooh it's nearly march.

can they just loving get on with this by election quickly please

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Are independents allowed to get involved in BEs or do they have to wait for GEs?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

oooh it's nearly march.

can they just loving get on with this by election quickly please

Calm down the guy only died yesterday.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think it'd be nice for the process to happen quickly rather than being the absolute circus these last few have been

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Suddenly all labour mps die, what happens then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

I think it'd be nice for the process to happen quickly rather than being the absolute circus these last few have been

It's up to labour how long it takes so I wouldn't be too hopeful.

• Locked thread