Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/michellegrattan/status/836028470991822848

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

Shorten is gonna hit a landslide stride now and literally nothing can stop it. Turnbull is always looking like the out of touch old man the opposition portrays him as. He has lost the media war to Bill loving Shorten
Nothing can stop Bill Shorten but Bill Shorten. If anyone can find a way, he will.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/HuffPostAU/status/836027025773182979

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/836021684712792064

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
What have those clowns in Canberra done now?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
“He is the prime minister under God - I consider that a sacred office and I would be loathe to push a spill motion or do any of those sorts of things which people are somehow suggesting,” he told Perth radio station 6PR

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Turnbull's blaming the polls on Abbott and Shorten's going to fight the penalty rates cut ( to try and make the Greens invisible again)

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

“He is the prime minister under God - I consider that a sacred office and I would be loathe to push a spill motion or do any of those sorts of things which people are somehow suggesting,” he told Perth radio station 6PR

The prime minister has the divine right of kings now? :psyduck:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

ewe2 posted:

Turnbull's blaming the polls on Abbott and Shorten's going to fight the penalty rates cut ( to try and make the Greens invisible again)

Maybe Turnbull should try differentiating his government from Abbotts.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Senor Tron posted:

Maybe Turnbull should try differentiating his government from Abbotts.
I keep waiting for his YOLO moment and for a second I thought it would be the FWC decision.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Getting rid of penalty rates is exactly the kind of thing Turnbull wants to do though, unless you mean intervening to scrap them entirely.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
"The YOLO Moment"

A Biography of Prime Minister Turnbull

Foreword by Annabel Crabb

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Shorten is gonna hit a landslide stride now and literally nothing can stop it. Turnbull is always looking like the out of touch old man the opposition portrays him as. He has lost the media war to Bill loving Shorten

At a time where it's just about meaningless. Shorten has two and a half years in which to squander Labor's position and he's not even preferred PM.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Kafka Syrup posted:

I was meant to be. How did it go?

It was pretty good, my only issue was they had two separate workshops at once, so you couldn't do everything.
Also I was way too tired to go yesterday so instead I slept until 4 which was a pro choice I think.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cirofren posted:

At a time where it's just about meaningless. Shorten has two and a half years in which to squander Labor's position and he's not even preferred PM.
Kevin Bonham has a few words to say about preferred leader scores.

The aim for Labor (and the left) is to get the voters to make up their minds and just switch off the Coalition's message entirely.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

snoremac posted:

Someone tell a simpleton why politicians freak out about polls years before elections to the point where coups are a natural state of affairs these days.

because things are only going to get worse, so given the coalition is in 45-55 territory less than a year out from the election, imagine how bad things are gonna be in 2019

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

When Newscorp isn't pushing Murdochs current agenda, they like to be on the winning/popular side. If the government is polling well they can come out and say things like the senate is obstructing government and the media will repeat that. When they are polling badly the media turns, and suddenly they lose any platform to push things like that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Senor Tron posted:

When Newscorp isn't pushing Murdochs current agenda, they like to be on the winning/popular side. If the government is polling well they can come out and say things like the senate is obstructing government and the media will repeat that. When they are polling badly the media turns, and suddenly they lose any platform to push things like that.

Yeah, the News stable was pretty divided in 2007 and lots of them endorsed Rudd / Labor.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The MSM is adroitly amnesiac when the wind changes direction.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Re: Media outlets - Unions + Industry Superfunds run one called the New Daily:

http://thenewdaily.com.au

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

open24hours posted:

Getting rid of penalty rates is exactly the kind of thing Turnbull wants to do though, unless you mean intervening to scrap them entirely.
He might want it, but he needed to smash Shorten with it more. He didn't come out strong either way. Going left or right didn't matter. Doing nothing just made him look worse.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Coming out in favour of penalty rates wouldn't be credible, and coming out against them wouldn't help. If he wants to attack Shorten he'll have to do it over something he actually believes in, and which is popular with the electorate, and that the right wing of the party will let him talk about. It doesn't leave much.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 27, 2017

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

Coming out in favour of penalty rates wouldn't be credible, and coming out against them wouldn't help. If he wants to attack Shorten that he'll have to do it over something he actually believes in, and which is popular with the electorate, and that the right wing of the party will let him talk about. It doesn't leave much.

Pretty much limits it to Laura Norder and security theatre

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Sorry I got hysterical blindness and neglected to point out this outrage.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-27/adani-director-appointed-government-body-overseeing-coal-port/8301104

quote:

Adani director appointed to body overseeing mining giant's coal port despite conflict of interest warning Exclusive by the National Reporting Team's Mark Willacy and Alexandra Blucher Updated about an hour ago

The Queensland Government appointed an Adani company director to chair the authority overseeing the Abbot Point coal port, despite being warned of "potential conflicts of interest".

Key points:

"It's undoubtedly a conflict of interest," said law professor on Mr Fish's appointment
Treasurer's office confirms it knew of Mr Fish's directorship and that he "disclosed potential conflicts of interest prior to his appointment"
But Mr Fish's link to Adani was not disclosed publicly by the Treasurer when he was appointed
Brad Fish was a director of Adani's Abbot Point Operations Pty Ltd when he was made the chair of the state-owned North Queensland Bulk Ports Corporation (NQBP).

NQBP oversees the ports at Weipa, Mackay, Hay Point and Abbot Point. Adani runs the only operating coal terminal at Abbot Point, north of Bowen. Mr Fish's appointment as NQBP chair was made in September 2015 by Treasurer Curtis Pitt. He did not resign the directorship of Abbot Point Operations until November 11, 2015. "It's undoubtedly a conflict of interest, and the real question then becomes how do you manage the conflict," said University of Queensland Professor of Commercial Law, Ross Grantham.

Nik Casule from Greenpeace Australia Pacific said the appointment raised serious questions.

"Mr Fish was chairman of North Queensland Bulk Ports that was responsible for regulating the port of Abbot Point at the same time as he was director of a company that was profiting from the operations of that port," Mr Casule said. The Treasurer's office has confirmed to the ABC that it knew of Mr Fish's directorship and that he "disclosed potential conflicts of interest prior to his appointment". But Mr Fish's directorship with Abbot Point Operations was not disclosed publicly by Mr Pitt's office or North Queensland Bulk Ports Corporation at the time of his appointment.

The ABC approached Mr Fish through NQBP.

In a statement, NQBP said: "Mr Fish continues to be precluded from considering, being involved in discussions or receiving documents relating to commercial decisions regarding Adani." "The requirement for Mr Fish to be precluded from relevant sections of Board or Committee meetings has been an infrequent occurrence," an NQBP spokesman said. "However the requirements under the protocol are strictly enforced where applicable." "If the person concerned is not able to be involved in discussions between the port authority and the client then you wonder whether the person is really able to fully discharge their duties," said Professor Grantham.

Mr Fish has a long history with North Queensland Bulk Ports.

Before becoming a director of Abbot Point Operations he was the CEO of NQBP for 14 years. The ABC asked the Treasurer's office why the Government did not publicly disclose the "potential conflict of interest" involving Mr Fish. It failed to respond. "[As] the shareholding minister, the Treasurer has a responsibility as the effective owner of the authority to be accountable to the public," said Professor Grantham.

Really? Really? Can't begin to fathom.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Turnbull kneels at the end of his bed, hands clasped in prayer:

"Please Lord, just one boatload of reffoes. With a couple of suicide bombers and 'kill all whitey' in Arabic on the side. Is it too much to ask?"

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

open24hours posted:

Coming out in favour of penalty rates wouldn't be credible, and coming out against them wouldn't help. If he wants to attack Shorten that he'll have to do it over something he actually believes in, and which is popular with the electorate, and that the right wing of the party will let him talk about. It doesn't leave much.
Which was kinda why I said YOLO. He's really got nothing else at this point.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Turnbull could have supported retaining penalties and at the same time sold tax cuts for business, painting himself as a hero to all while maintaining a net conservative position.

I'm not saying in any universe he would have, but he could have in the same way that he could probably buy an ice cream factory and produce his own brand of Classic Turnbull Vanilla.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

EDIT: There is also a circle there entitled "things bill shorten believes in" but it's very small because it only contains *checks notes*

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I just heard an ad on the radio that the mines are always good for WA, mines mean more jobs. So why are these dang pollies trying to tax the noble mine owners instead of creating more jobs for the working class by supporting mines?

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/feb/27/centrelink-recipients-data-released-by-department-to-counter-public-criticism

i can't even

quote:

Senior government officials have approved the release of a Centrelink recipient’s personal information to counter her public criticism of the department.

Welfare recipient Andie Fox wrote an article for Fairfax Media earlier this month setting out her difficulties dealing with the agency after she began receiving calls from a debt collector.

But, over the weekend, she was shocked to discover details of her interactions with Centrelink and claim history set out – with some information she says is incorrect – in a separate article by Fairfax Media.

The article, headlined “Centrelink is an easy target for complaining but there are two sides to every story”, used information released by Centrelink to challenge Fox’s claims.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Someone just lost their job.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

hooman posted:

EDIT: There is also a circle there entitled "things bill shorten believes in" but it's very small because it only contains *checks notes*

It's that tiny triangle in the center

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Starshark posted:

Someone just lost their job.

Isn't that actively illegal as well?

Not to mention a horrible loving precedent.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hiddenmovement posted:

It's that tiny triangle in the center

Pretty sure it's well right of the centre.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Gorilla Salad posted:

Isn't that actively illegal as well?

Not to mention a horrible loving precedent.

Yeah, if there's one thing Centrelink didn't skimp on when I was there (this was over a decade ago now, who knows what it's like now) was privacy. You can't even look at your own record without raising flags and starting investigations. If you just looked at - say - Kylie Minogue's record just to see if she ever claimed parenting payment, you MIGHT get out with your job (but probably a demotion), but giving info to the media was a biiig no-no. So like I said, unless things changed, that's a sacking. It's also illegal but the only time I heard of someone going to jail was when someone was caught giving info to a private investigator for money - don't know if leaking to the media quite covers that territory.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I'd loving hope so.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

even looking at personal info that you don't have a reason to access is a potential offence, let alone straight up releasing it to journalists without consent.

i hope the braindead SES who made this call gets made an example of and charged. it'll probably be some APS3 schmuck who gets fired though.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Is Andrew hastie the ex soldier? I can only assume he picked up syphilis on tour, never got treated and this divine right spiel is the result

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

Is Andrew hastie the ex soldier?
Yeah, he's the guy that won in the Canning by-election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BBJoey posted:

even looking at personal info that you don't have a reason to access is a potential offence, let alone straight up releasing it to journalists without consent.

i hope the braindead SES who made this call gets made an example of and charged. it'll probably be some APS3 schmuck who gets fired though.

If I was an APS3 schmuck I'd only do that with written instructions to cover my own rear end then hang them out to dry.

My guess it was as SES equivalent acting through their EA because SES people consider themselves above the rules and EAs usually don't know what the rules are.

loving scum move though. Absolute scum.

• Locked thread