Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Samizdata posted:

I am pretty sure that is a common restaurant ur-myth. I have heard the same about several kitchens I have worked in. Culinary STDH, if you will.

I know a guy who claims to have had sex on a giant bag of black beans at a diner in Austin. This was a decade or so ago. Personally, I believe him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ben Nevis posted:

I know a guy who claims to have had sex on a giant bag of black beans at a diner in Austin. This was a decade or so ago. Personally, I believe him.

So, you are saying he was down? Does he have a dog?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Ben Nevis posted:

Maybe a decade and a half ago I was at a bar in Austin and after like three hours of flirting the bartender was like "you wanna go in the walkin with me?" I had no idea what she meant but was like "sure" so we went in there and smoked weed and made out for a bit.

Maybe it's just Austin?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Samizdata posted:

I am pretty sure that is a common restaurant ur-myth. I have heard the same about several kitchens I have worked in. Culinary STDH, if you will.

well yeah. Turns out they actually did do it in the store, just in a specific area that's off camera. Got caught anyway.

bongwizzard posted:

Maybe a decade and a half ago I was at a bar in Austin and after like three hours of flirting the bartender was like "you wanna go in the walkin with me?" I had no idea what she meant but was like "sure" so we went in there and smoked weed and made out for a bit.

Maybe it's just Austin?

Strong username post combo there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
When I build my dream mansion there will be a fold-down bed in the wall of the kitchen walk-in. Also mood lighting.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Discendo Vox posted:

When I build my dream mansion there will be a fold-down bed in the wall of the kitchen walk-in. Also mood lighting.

:perfect:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nCYWRAPHcG4

Walkin? On the pass? Back banquets after service? Get in line.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Samizdata posted:

When I was managing a bar, I hooked up with a girl on one of the couches at the bar - it was a night we were closed, she and I just happened to be in the area and it was the closest option. Best part was, a couple weeks later I found a buddy of mine and his then-girlfriend sitting on the same couch. They didn't find it nearly as funny as I did.

No food at that place though.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I feel like there's an arab strap song for every seriouspost in this thread. well done sir.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I love coming into the thread, and the first few post are having sex on a bag of black beans and in the walk in cooler.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

mindphlux posted:

I feel like there's an arab strap song for every seriouspost in this thread. well done sir.

It's the industry thread. Heavy drinking, I'll-advised drug use, and casual, degrading sex is the goddamn baseline. :beerpal:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Oh hi thread. Yeesh I havent read in a month. I skipped 350 posts, sorry. My cubicle is covered in delicious wine with messed up labels. Get out of the biz asap. Love.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
Brunch haiku time:
My station is wrecked,
So many reservations,
Drown in hollandaise.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

A post service biz haiku

Shopping for new sheets
Beer at breakfast not sad now
Never. Brunch. Again.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Champagne with my eggs
Taunting hungover servers,
Ooh, carving station!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Eggs Benny My Way
Can I make changes to that?
Bloody Mary bar!

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
"Can you make the yolks a little runny but not too runny?"

*shoots self in the face*

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I was looking for a gel like texture, not a jelly like texture, please consider doing a better job next time.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I got a brunch ticket last week that said "5 minute poached eggs" I asked the server wtf and she says "well that's what they told me!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Field Mousepad posted:

"Can you make the yolks a little runny but not too runny?"

*shoots self in the face*

"I'll have my eggs sunny side up over medium"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

"Over easy but no slime"

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

pile of brown posted:

I got a brunch ticket last week that said "5 minute poached eggs" I asked the server wtf and she says "well that's what they told me!"

Probably wanted 6 minute eggs.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, today I learned degreaser is actually very slippery.

And yes, I have nonslips.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Degreaser will mess you're poo poo up if you get it on you.

That or it's another dish chemical that is highly corrosive.

Manager spilled some on his foot one time and woof.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

A Man and his dog posted:

When I used to work at a corn syrup manufacturer, we had to regularly degrease the equipment. My hands looked like parchment on the good days.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A Man and his dog posted:

The solution we use to clean silverware is nasty poo poo. I usually put two rubber gloves on and it still leaks through those.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
What the hell are you guys using? In my old fab shop we had to degrease all the steel and Al box tube before we could weld it and we were fine just using a strong dilution of Simple Green.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
We use GreaseStrip Plus at my work - I think it's 10% lye.

It's slippery because it saponifies fat.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
We use EcoLab Greasecutter Plus.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I have ecolab grease express for hood vents/deep cleaning and it will eat a hole in your akin if you let it

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
but they're healthy and warm and safe because Eco! :) :) :) :)

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I don't care what the implications of the word "eco" are, but the word "EcoLab" is the precise opposite of "okay to bathe in/wear/consume" and you get what you deserve if you do.

e. I have had to call more than one person a dumbass for scrubbing their hands with butyl degreaser after filtering/cleaning the deep fryer. I get it, your hands are super greasy now and the handsoap doesn't seem to cut it, but jfc there's like a million boxes of gloves right beside the fryer use them if you don't want to get your hands filthy dipshit.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 27, 2017

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
no no it's ok :) I just want to wash :) my body :) :) in lye :) and lay/// down //// / for/// /a/minu//t;e/////////////////;/////////

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

mindphlux posted:

no no it's ok :) I just want to wash :) my body :) :) in lye :) and lay/// down //// / for/// /a/minu//t;e/////////////////;/////////

How did you find out about my post-St. Patty's plans?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Does food grease require such extreme cleaners because it gets hardened or whatever with heat? Even the oldest and nastiest machine grease usually comes off your hands with fast orange and kerosene.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, here's my question, unrelated to all this:

How the gently caress do people go through being FOH and still want kids?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
In high school I worked with a guy who would wash his face with 50/50 degreaser/water to try and combat his acne. He was surprised that it didn't help, I was surprised that a whiff of it didn't put him off from the idea. I got a reprieve from harsh chemicals when I went FOH until I went into ink.

Now I work mainly in a room that's designed to contain massive explosions and is equipped with a fire suppressant system that is designed to completely fill and remove the oxygen from a very large room in less than ten seconds.Every drum of solvent has to be grounded because a single spark or charge could touch off an explosion that would be very big. As an example, this is what happens when you have a small bottle filled with vapor from a 91% isopropyl alcohol mixture which gets ignited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5RvwNBFMOY

Now imagine if that happens with even a half-full 55 gallon drum of alcohol, which is sitting at the end of a row of 55 gallon drums filled with acetone, ethyl acetate, and various solvent blends, next to which are three dozen 5-gallon cans of things like glycol ether, methyl ethyl ketone, and heptane.

tl;dr chemicals are crazy dangerous and I work with a bunch of ones that make Simple Green look like drinking water by comparison. But I have insanely good insurance and don't deal with the general public so there's that.

Since this is the food thread, I made lasagna last week. I've never made lasagna before, but I love eating it and had some lasagna noodles I'd never gotten around to using. SO I made this recipe and oh boy had I forgotten how good homemade lasagna is. A fair amount of effort but well worth it.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

iospace posted:

So, here's my question, unrelated to all this:

How the gently caress do people go through being FOH and still want kids?

Some of us had kids then took a front of the house job in order to make enough money to live and have health insurance. Having children is really good preparation for serving customers it turns out. Tantrums can be solved the same way regardless of age.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Does food grease require such extreme cleaners because it gets hardened or whatever with heat? Even the oldest and nastiest machine grease usually comes off your hands with fast orange and kerosene.

You can't really use kerosene on things that will be having food cooked/served/prepared on.
Kitchen degreasers are nasty but they are rated to be "food safe"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shabadu posted:

Some of us had kids then took a front of the house job in order to make enough money to live and have health insurance. Having children is really good preparation for serving customers it turns out. Tantrums can be solved the same way regardless of age.

Well, I guess. I mean, I wasn't too keen on the idea of kids before serving, but this job has made me want to see a doctor so there's no chance of me having any.

• Locked thread