Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

oohhboy posted:

My most awesome trick is not being able to read Chinese.

how does it feel to be illiterate like some animal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

oohhboy posted:

not being a loving weirdo?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Haier posted:

Oh, cool. I get to drown.
Those TCM explanations always bug the poo poo out of me, because they include undefined Yin and Yang hot/cold crap on top of totally-impossible scientific claims. "Washes Qi out of kidneys, dissolves acid crystals all over the body, and also removes all arthritis and rheumatism" for sipping a cup with 5gm of random forest weeds in hot water. Then someone is going to tell you this with a serious face, having never seen any results (except maybe some diarrhea) and thinks these claims are more legit than any other kind of thing (which does NOT claim to be so effective). Judging by how incompetent Chinese doctors are and the medical system here, I don't blame them.

Duh.

You won't take mai dong then?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Haier posted:

With all of the Mainlanders going to universities in and around Boston, the Boston Chinatown really causes them to lose Face:

explain?

edit: Snaaaap!

Serephina fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 27, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Taiwan Number 1.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

You won't take mai dong then?
I prefer to give mai dong to women who are suffering from acute Nonintercoursia Hairicavius.

Taiwan flag instead of Chinese flag.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

To my untrained eye, that appears to be the flag of Taiwan, aka Real or Best China.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I just saw this on Synthtopia. "It's the way things go."

Also, IMO, Euro Racks for are for nerds and rich people and sound like farts.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ladron posted:

not being a loving weirdo?

hakimashou posted:

how does it feel to be illiterate like some animal?

That is a bit much of a response. :stare:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
So the plan is to send my boy to an IB school and IB is cool because they recognize that real China still uses traditional characters, so assignments and tests can officially be completed in either traditional or simplified scripts. But just because they recognize traditional as a real and important thing doesn't mean they teach it. In fact, most of the Chinese teachers don't even know the traditional form of most characters since they're often from the mainland. Which means I'm going to be the horrible overbearing parent who steals my kid's childhood because "he'll appreciate it someday" and he'll get to spend his evenings drilling traditional characters. Then I'll get to spend my free time arguing with Chinese teachers about the proper way to write assignments and tests because just because IB says one thing doesn't mean the teachers want to deal with it (and lose face for not knowing the characters, and lose time looking up all the characters they don't know just to mark his assignments).

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

oohhboy posted:

Get an CT Scan (not an MRI). It's obvious that your grandparents wanted a boy and shoved a bunch of sewing needles through the soft spot in your head when you were a baby.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Its just a bunch of pictographs right? kind of like hieroglyphics?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

BONGHITZ posted:

對啊~

The meaning is obvious, I hope.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

BONGHITZ posted:

Semi-phonetic ideograms.

Not even kidding.

Pirate Radar posted:

對啊~

The meaning is obvious, I hope.

你剛剛丟臉哈哈~

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
My greatest excuse is not being able to read Chines :smug:

just kidding, I suck at all things Chinese and feel bad about it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Chinese characters are very easy to get the hang of. First, 人 is a person. See? Two legs! Easy! 牛 is a cow, but seen from above. Maybe it's holding something. Four legs. Also easy! 日 is the sun, and also a day, because many years ago it didn't look like that, it was a circle with a dot in the middle, so it was easy then. Chinese is an old language with 5,000 years of history and it's been exactly like this for a long time. No other country has been speaking the same language for so long. 國 is country and it's easy to remember because it's a box with a bunch of fiddly lines in the middle.

雞 is chicken because gently caress you.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

My greatest excuse is not being able to read Chines :smug:

The real trick is being literate when it's absolutely necessary and an ignorant foreigner when you can play it to your advantage.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

just kidding, I suck at all things Chinese and feel bad about it.

but you DON'T suck at NOT being chinese, the most important part, so buck up, kiddo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pirate Radar posted:

雞 is chicken because gently caress you.

lol the gently caress is that thing.

鸡 is good it has the bird's lil head right there.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

lol the gently caress is that thing.

鸡 is good it has the bird's lil head right there.

Like I said, semi phonetic. The radical on the left is 奚, "xi" which doesn't have a meaning but is sometimes used as a surname. That gets you close to the actual pronunciation of ji. The right radical is 隹 which is a type of short tailed bird, which tells you that this character is also a type of bird. So you see, you get some meaning on the right and some pronunciation on the left.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blistex posted:

Get an CT Scan (not an MRI). It's obvious that your grandparents wanted a boy and shoved a bunch of sewing needles through the soft spot in your head when you were a baby.

:jfc: Can't even make a self deprecating joke without getting the third degree.

I didn't learn reading traditional because I had no use for it and no real opportunity or will to learn as speaking Cantonese was more that enough the cultural output I cared about.

If I come to HongKong for some serious work instead of a holiday I would no doubt put some work into it.

But I have to question why the hell you are so drat hostile. Please don't answer as there is no good ones.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Atlas Hugged posted:

Like I said, semi phonetic. The radical on the left is 奚, "xi" which doesn't have a meaning but is sometimes used as a surname. That gets you close to the actual pronunciation of ji. The right radical is 隹 which is a type of short tailed bird, which tells you that this character is also a type of bird. So you see, you get some meaning on the right and some pronunciation on the left.

I've always told people Chinese is sort of like written English, you just have to learn to 'spell' the character correctly, and the 'spelling' can give info about the meaning and pronunciation.

English spelling isnt phonetic like other languages, and different spellings of the same sound can give clues to the origin/meaning of the word.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Chicken is 鶏 sorry about your ugly characters.

傘 umbrella 瓦 roof tile and 壺 clay pot are still my favorites.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

peanut posted:

Chicken is 鶏 sorry about your ugly characters. .

You see this often enough in Taiwan though the other is more common.

I've always been fond of 鑽 "to bore a hole"

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
我是同志

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

I am decently good at writing traditional Chinese characters and it is always fun to crack that out in front of mainlanders. "No, this is the proper way to write 'depressed'." (鬱 vs 郁)

What gets me is that p much no one under 40 or whatever age it is can write the characters for "sneeze" from memory so if technology collapses that concept will be gone from the sinosphere. Learn how to write that and then you're golden since you'll hold the lost knowledge.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

peanut posted:

Chicken is 鶏 sorry about your ugly characters.

傘 umbrella 瓦 roof tile and 壺 clay pot are still my favorites.

伞 is way better since it looks like the folding mechanism of a collapsible umbrella

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

but why dont we just use the umbrella emoji?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Magna Kaser posted:

What gets me is that p much no one under 40 or whatever age it is can write the characters for "sneeze" from memory so if technology collapses that concept will be gone from the sinosphere. Learn how to write that and then you're golden since you'll hold the lost knowledge.

better yet, make your kid do it

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

big time bisexual posted:

伞 is way better since it looks like the folding mechanism of a collapsible umbrella

Except the original character looks like a bunch of people crowded under shelter.

BONGHITZ posted:

but why dont we just use the umbrella emoji?

It doesn't have 5000 years of history.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Looks like Japan doesn't like China. Even less than Pakistan likes India.

http://www.pewglobal.org/2015/09/02/how-asia-pacific-publics-see-each-other-and-their-national-leaders/asia-heat-map/

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Jesus, what did S.K do to Pakistan?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Gee, I never knew Australia was located in Asia.

WarpedNaba posted:

Jesus, what did S.K do to Pakistan?

Probably has a lot to do with South Koreans' general attitude towards Southeast Asians and their treatment of the many factory workers they import from Pakistan/India/etc. "We need you, but we're gonna treat you like garbage!" See also: English teachers, non-white professionals of any kind.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 27, 2017

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I wonder why they didn't poll Thailand.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Pirate Radar posted:

I wonder why they didn't poll Thailand.

Because it is clearly less located in Asia than Australia. Ditto for Cambodia, Laos, Micronesia...

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Australia moved to Asia in 2014 for better chances at getting a World Cup spot, didn't you hear?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Mr. Fix It posted:

Australia moved to Asia in 2014 for better chances at getting a World Cup spot, didn't you hear?

That's dumb. I would move to Europe so I could enter Eurovision. :colbert:

Actually, considering the number of non-European countries that enter Eurovision, Australia wouldn't have had to move.

This is a sign that I should be prime minister! *gets eaten by a shark maybe*

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Never played the XCOM reboot, did you.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I forgot to post this Chinar story from the weekend:

My friend and I stopped to buy some baozi for dinner because we didn't feel like eating much. We both want the same kind, so she orders in Chinese. The two very-hillbilly workers stand there and stare at us like freaks until one of them says they don't have that flavor plain, but have the same flavor with chili if we want that instead. We agree, order five, and my friend orders a sweet-paste bun to go with it. One of the workers opens one of the steam baskets and grabs tied bag of four buns (all other buns are not not in bags, of course) and hands it to my friend.

Friend: "Which flavor is this?"
Guy: *something*
Friend: "That's not what we ordered. We wanted five of the spicy, and one sweet"
Guy: "Are you sure? I thought you ordered this one."
Friend: "No, we didn't order that, and there's only four here. Our total is six. We don't want this bag."
Guy 02: "Why not? This flavor is delicious."
Friend: "We wanted five of the spicy, one of the sweet."
Guy 02: "Are you sure?"
Friend: "YES!"
Guy: *Loud and long siiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhhh*
Guy 02: "Ok, ok."

The two workers start opening all of the baskets one-by-one, revealing steamed buns that all look exactly the same (since you can't see the contents). I lean in to my friend and tell her they don't even know which flavor is which, and they are going to screw this up. She agrees. It is obvious that the bag they tried to give us is another order that someone rejected, probably for being the wrong one.
One of the guys says "aha," and they both crowd around a basket, scooping buns into a bag. They hand us the bag and we pay.

We find a bench and sit down. I open it and count five buns, but no sweet bun (which are yellow colored). I tell my friend and she wants to go back and bug them and get it. We both grab a bun and take a bite, her spitting out the bite immediately. "This is not what I ordered!!!!" I had to talk her down from going back to cause a fight(total was only 7 RMB), and convince here there's no winning when it comes to arguing with Face-havers/idiots. We tossed them in the trash and went to a bakery to get some cake instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

I had to talk her down from going back to cause a fight(total was only 7 RMB),

pretty cavalier with someone else's money, yet refusing to go out if you have to spend your own...hmm

• Locked thread